login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > If you had a 'Ton!" of free time, what to do? Search   Reply
Photographer
GH-Photography
Posts: 9,420
Brunswick, Georgia, US


My job is mostly waiting, Which gives me a ridiculous amount of free time, but under controlled circumstances. Since I am basing this on my current experience, you get the same restrictions I do.

Rules: You could do anything you want within these guidelines:

0. You work alone. Your duties take almost no time. Around 4-5 times each night, at unknown times someone will come into your office for about 5 minutes.

1. Hours 11pm-7am monday-saturday
2. Your on a secured area, No guest!
3. You have a 50ft long x 12ft wide office
4. You have a desk, your personal laptop and private internet connection, plus anything else you want to bring with you.

5. Anything you bring with you must fit in a car and leave with you.

How do you spend the time?
Sep 24 13 12:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Study.
Read for fun.
Computer games.
Movies on DVD.
Sep 24 13 01:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,243
Socorro, New Mexico, US


How many hookers fit in your trunk?

*edit*

No guests?

How many dead hookers fit in your trunk?
Sep 24 13 05:18 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Natalia_Taffarel
Posts: 7,545
Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina


Schlake wrote:
How many hookers fit in your trunk?

*edit*

No guests?

How many dead hookers fit in your trunk?

This place really needs a like button!

Sep 24 13 05:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The F-Stop
Posts: 1,436
New York, New York, US


Since I retired I have a ton of free time but absolutely no time to do anything!I am bussier than ever before jsut having fun.
Sep 24 13 05:25 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Natalia_Taffarel
Posts: 7,545
Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina


50ft?

http://craziestgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/worlds-largest-puzzle-box.jpg
Sep 24 13 05:26 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Natalia_Taffarel
Posts: 7,545
Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina


Sep 24 13 05:29 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Natalia_Taffarel
Posts: 7,545
Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina


Seriously now.... do photoshop. You won't feel at work because time will fly.
Sep 24 13 05:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image Works Photography
Posts: 2,890
Orlando, Florida, US


The job I had a few years ago permitted me to have hours to do anything. I worked the grave yard shift. At the time I bought a laptop computers and what was new back then a wireless card that you slide into a slot. Back then it was unlimited data so I spent many hours on the internet. Believe it or not I worked with some guy who brought in a hooker overnight. Others lifted weights and played video games.
Sep 24 13 06:25 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Giacomo Cirrincioni
Posts: 20,939
New York, New York, US


Art direction.

Give yourself ten assignments.  Outline ideas for the shoots, create mockups in photoshop.  Build background plates from photographs that you've taken that you will then shoot models for or just use them to select the right location.  Search for wardrobe that fits the look, feel and color pallet. Draw out your lighting plans.  Practice color grading the photos to see what kind of look you're going to be going for.

Bring magazines with you and cut out images you like to make mood boards and inspiration boards.  Spend time analyzing work to decide what you like, why you like it, and what elements you want to incorporate into your style and how you would go about doing that.

Find some photoshop dvds or tutorials and really practice them (instead of just watching them).  After doing the lesson as presented, figure out ways to incorporate what you've learned in the look you're going for. 

Keep learning.
Sep 24 13 06:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay Edwards
Posts: 17,734
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


Bring in a putting green!
Sep 24 13 06:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris Rifkin
Posts: 24,421
Tampa, Florida, US


bring my synth..a midi controller,my M box and demo 24 track pro tools/q base comupter recording studio,my line 6 pod amp simulator...2 guitars....and write and record(basic tracks of course,I would re amp my guitar tones to my liking at an actual studio)a song every day
Sep 24 13 06:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BlueMoonPics
Posts: 3,957
New York, New York, US


Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
Seriously now.... do photoshop. You won't feel at work because time will fly.

I was going to say, do photo editing if you have some to do.
Otherwise learn something new.
Play guitar or something if they allow it.

Sep 24 13 06:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kevin Connery
Posts: 16,664
El Segundo, California, US


Greg Holt Photography wrote:
My job is mostly waiting, Which gives me a ridiculous amount of free time, but under controlled circumstances. Since I am basing this on my current experience, you get the same restrictions I do.

Rules: You could do anything you want within these guidelines:

0. You work alone. Your duties take almost no time. Around 4-5 times each night, at unknown times someone will come into your office for about 5 minutes.

1. Hours 11pm-7am monday-saturday
2. Your on a secured area, No guest!
3. You have a 50ft long x 12ft wide office
4. You have a desk, your personal laptop and private internet connection, plus anything else you want to bring with you.

5. Anything you bring with you must fit in a car and leave with you.

How do you spend the time?

Your description fits--other than not having a laptop or any internet connectivity--a computer operations job I had for a few years back in [mumble].

I learned various fiber arts (needlepoint, cross-stitch, etc), knitted a chainmail suit, read about 3-4 books/week, learned a few computer languages (poorly), and studied a bunch of random things.

Now, I'd add Photoshop studies to the mix, retouching (playing catch-up), write some utility scripts (DAM ingestion and tweaks, mostly), update my websites, and read some blogs/visit sites that are interesting but which fell below the 'must do now' level when I had less time.

Sep 24 13 10:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hikari Tech Photography
Posts: 791
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
Seriously now.... do photoshop. You won't feel at work because time will fly.

Yes and/or

if wearing headphones is allowed... NETFLIX! smile

Sep 24 13 01:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The F-Stop
Posts: 1,436
New York, New York, US


GreatMomentsPhotography wrote:
The job I had a few years ago permitted me to have hours to do anything. I worked the grave yard shift. At the time I bought a laptop computers and what was new back then a wireless card that you slide into a slot. Back then it was unlimited data so I spent many hours on the internet. Believe it or not I worked with some guy who brought in a hooker overnight. Others lifted weights and played video games.

sounds more like prison!

Sep 24 13 01:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Frank Lewis Photography
Posts: 12,309
Winter Park, Florida, US


If I had the time, and the money, I'd saddle up my motorcycle and head for the small town in southwest Montana where my oldest brother lives and go visit him. He has been battling cancer for seven years now. My mother lives there too, in an assisted-living home. On the way, I would stop to see the two houses my family lived in in south St. Louis county. One of the houses is over 60 years old and it's still being lived in. After Montana, I'd head south to Mesa, AZ to visit one of my younger brothers. From there to Dallas to see my sister and her family and another brother, and visit my dad's youngest brother (in his 80s). The whole trip would be around 6000 miles +/- and take two months probably.

Oh yes, I'd be taking lots pictures along the way and I'd probably have a GoPro camera mounted on the handlebar...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130828/18/521ea52fc72fd_m.jpg

Yours truly.
Sep 24 13 08:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,644
New York, New York, US


Write lyrics to songs
Do vocal exercises
Fuck around on the net
Sit on my couch and think
Stare at the guitar I don't play
Obsess over shit
Look for work/turn down work
*No I don't 'do' that*

Talk endlessly about Breaking Bad with fellow obsessives

Take a hot shower if I'm cold; I'm always cold; possibly a reptilian.
Sleep

Oh wait, I do that now.
Sep 24 13 11:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim Shibley
Posts: 2,829
Phoenix, Arizona, US


I'd research my family history more.
Sep 25 13 02:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fred Greissing
Posts: 6,215
Los Angeles, California, US


Help someone in need. It's actually a spcial type of fun.
Sep 25 13 03:10 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Eliza C new portfolio
Posts: 2,988
Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom


I have this problem of lab night shifts when much of the time is spent waiting for geo-chem results on my ice core samples. I have watched every single Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movie and the vast majority of Clint Eastwood movies so far.....smile I also listen to the sisters of mercy on full volume since there are no neighbours to disturb and it keeps me awake!
Sep 25 13 03:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
If I had the time, and the money, I'd saddle up my motorcycle and head for the small town in southwest Montana where my oldest brother lives and go visit him. He has been battling cancer for seven years now. My mother lives there too, in an assisted-living home. On the way, I would stop to see the two houses my family lived in in south St. Louis county. One of the houses is over 60 years old and it's still being lived in. After Montana, I'd head south to Mesa, AZ to visit one of my younger brothers. From there to Dallas to see my sister and her family and another brother, and visit my dad's youngest brother (in his 80s). The whole trip would be around 6000 miles +/- and take two months probably.

Oh yes, I'd be taking lots pictures along the way and I'd probably have a GoPro camera mounted on the handlebar...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130828/18/521ea52fc72fd_m.jpg

Yours truly.

Doesn't exactly fit within the OP's criteria. Graveyard shift at work. You have to stay on duty. No going to Montana and Arizona and Texas while you're supposed to be on the job.

Sep 25 13 05:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhillipM
Posts: 6,273
Martin, Tennessee, US


Build a larger nicer Darkroom than what I have now.  Travel the US shooting LF and learn wet plate, specifically Collodion.
Sep 25 13 05:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Warren Leimbach
Posts: 2,554
Tampa, Florida, US


Tweet your next novel one sentence at a time.
Sep 25 13 08:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lovely Day Media
Posts: 3,817
Vineland, New Jersey, US


Greg Holt Photography wrote:
My job is mostly waiting, Which gives me a ridiculous amount of free time, but under controlled circumstances. Since I am basing this on my current experience, you get the same restrictions I do.

Rules: You could do anything you want within these guidelines:

0. You work alone. Your duties take almost no time. Around 4-5 times each night, at unknown times someone will come into your office for about 5 minutes.

1. Hours 11pm-7am monday-saturday
2. Your on a secured area, No guest!
3. You have a 50ft long x 12ft wide office
4. You have a desk, your personal laptop and private internet connection, plus anything else you want to bring with you.

5. Anything you bring with you must fit in a car and leave with you.

How do you spend the time?

This is pretty interesting as it's pretty much what I do, anyway, with a few differences. For instance, I set my own hours (usually not graveyard shift), my office is 10 feet long and 5 feet wide and I can bring in or take out whatever I like, whenever. I can have guests, but they come and go when I do (secured perimeter) and rarely does anyone come in there. If I keep the door shut, most won't even know I'm there.

So what do I do? Mostly scan pictures, mild editing, keep the place relatively clean, super organized and to my own satisfaction. I spend a maximum of 4 hours there daily because I can do most of my work at home, laying on the couch with my feet up (sitting at a desk too long makes my feet swell). Most days, when I'm there at all, is less than 15 minutes. I'm working on building things up, though.

Sep 25 13 11:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andialu
Posts: 14,029
San Pedro, California, US


http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/bartek1018/DaffyDuck-Fap.gif
Sep 25 13 11:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,790
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Read.
Play computer games.
Go on MM/FB/DA/Tumblr
Watch movies/tv shows
Sep 25 13 11:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Andialu wrote:
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/bartek1018/DaffyDuck-Fap.gif

That, coupled with "at unknown times someone will come into your office for about 5 minutes," could make for an interesting evening.

At best, it's a good setup for a bad porno.

Sep 25 13 11:55 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Alabaster Crowley
Posts: 7,060
Tucson, Arizona, US


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/91/WoW_Box_Art1.jpg/256px-WoW_Box_Art1.jpg
Sep 25 13 02:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,644
New York, New York, US


Alabaster Crowley wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/91/WoW_Box_Art1.jpg/256px-WoW_Box_Art1.jpg

What is with that game.
I thought only dudes like Comic Book Guy played that.

My ex played that; I was um ok then.

lol

Sep 26 13 05:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Frank Lewis Photography
Posts: 12,309
Winter Park, Florida, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:
Doesn't exactly fit within the OP's criteria. Graveyard shift at work. You have to stay on duty. No going to Montana and Arizona and Texas while you're supposed to be on the job.

Bummer. Skype then...

Sep 26 13 06:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DOUGLASFOTOS
Posts: 8,037
Los Angeles, California, US


If I had a TON of Free Time, what would I do?


I would sell my free time on the black market. And give everyone a free puppy..except for North Korea..they would eat the lil puppies.
Sep 26 13 06:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Alabaster Crowley
Posts: 7,060
Tucson, Arizona, US


Jules NYC wrote:

What is with that game.
I thought only dudes like Comic Book Guy played that.

My ex played that; I was um ok then.

lol

False. Hot girls play too.

Sep 26 13 08:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Karl JW Johnston
Posts: 9,394
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


play eve online
Sep 26 13 08:41 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers