login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Please, I'm not a miracle worker Search   Reply
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


I know that everyone wants to look young and beautiful but why do some people take it to ridiculous extremes? Today, my co-workers and I had an elderly woman come in for a beauty package (hair, nails, facial, massage, make-up, etc.) and we did our best to make her happy but when her treatments were done, she threw a hissyfit and demanded her money back because we failed to restore her youth. Literally.

My boss said we were sorry she was not satisfied and asked what her expectations were when she walked in the salon/spa and the woman pulled out a picture from her high school days, a picture that was taken over 40 years ago. We all thought it was ridiculous but refrained from saying so and let the manager do all the talking. She said 'We're sorry, but what you ask is not possible. If you like, I can give you a gift certificate for your next visit but we don't issue refunds due to the cost of our products and materials." Thankfully, it worked and the client was pacified and left.

I was pretty shocked at the woman's demands but was she seriously expecting what I thought? We're beauticians, not plastic surgeons. And even if we were, there's only so much we can do. Make-overs and cosmetic surgery can do wonders but there's still no way we can make a 60 something year old person look 18 again. Yet, there are still people who walk into a salon or surgeon's office everyday with unrealistic expectations, wanting to be something or someone they're not.

I'll never get it.
Sep 26 13 07:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,915
New York, New York, US


I feel sorry for the woman.

I know a guy that dated a well known model for years and years and when she got older and to her, 'lost her youth' she hung herself.

The situation you described is a woman out of touch with her reality and just hearing about it is well, sad
Sep 26 13 07:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MesmerEyes Photography
Posts: 2,903
Tyler, Texas, US


I thought all beauticians were magicians. So you are saying that they aren't?
Sep 26 13 07:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Miss Lynnia wrote:
I'll never get it.

Give it forty years. You may then understand the woman's desperate longing to look younger.

Sep 26 13 08:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,074
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Considering the amount of beauty products marketed in the US that show already young beautiful looking people using products to make you more young and beautiful, I'm not surprised when people expect to look like the supermodels in the ads. It's only recently that mascara ads must put a disclaimer when they are using fake eyelashes in their advertisements, because people expected 5x volume and length to their normal lashes when using the product, because that's supposedly what the ad showed. When an ad shows someone without any wrinkles using an anti wrinkle cream, you're led to believe you can prevent or get rid of wrinkles...because...well...that person in the ad doesn't have any. And surely they would have, who would use a product if they don't actually have a problem with what the product is made for, right?
Sep 26 13 08:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:

Give it forty years. You may then understand the woman's desperate longing to look younger.

Perhaps. But I'm realistic enough not to expect to look 18 by the time I'm 60.

Sep 26 13 08:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


Laura UnBound wrote:
Considering the amount of beauty products marketed in the US that show already young beautiful looking people using products to make you more young and beautiful, I'm not surprised when people expect to look like the supermodels in the ads. It's only recently that mascara ads must put a disclaimer when they are using fake eyelashes in their advertisements, because people expected 5x volume and length to their normal lashes when using the product, because that's supposedly what the ad showed. When an ad shows someone without any wrinkles using an anti wrinkle cream, you're led to believe you can prevent or get rid of wrinkles...because...well...that person in the ad doesn't have any. And surely they would have, who would use a product if they don't actually have a problem with what the product is made for, right?

My mother is 52 and has very few wrinkles. Never used botox or expensive products, just live healthy and do facial exercises. Of course, not smoking or spending too much time in the sun/tanning booth will also minimize wrinkling too.

Sep 26 13 08:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 26,902
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Good Trick to get a Gift Certificate for the next visit
Sep 26 13 08:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cosplay Creatives
Posts: 10,714
Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica


Miss Lynnia wrote:

My mother is 52 and has very few wrinkles. Never used botox or expensive products, just live healthy and do facial exercises. Of course, not smoking or spending too much time in the sun/tanning booth will also minimize wrinkling too.

Being asian, we don't age in the manner that other ethnicities and races do.

Sep 26 13 08:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,074
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Miss Lynnia wrote:

My mother is 52 and has very few wrinkles. Never used botox or expensive products, just live healthy and do facial exercises. Of course, not smoking or spending too much time in the sun/tanning booth will also minimize wrinkling too.

Cool. Doesn't have anything to do with why people think beauty products/practices can work miracles though

Sep 26 13 08:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


Gryph wrote:

Being asian, we don't age in the manner that other ethnicities and races do.

People age at different rates according to their health, genes, and lifestyle. Naturally, smoking, sun tanning, and too much hard liquor and stress would make you age faster physically.

Sep 26 13 08:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


Laura UnBound wrote:

Cool. Doesn't have anything to do with why people think beauty products/practices can work miracles though

I blame Hollywood and marketing for that. Oil of Olay got some heat a few years back for advertising a cream that can make a 60 year old look 30 when the model in the ad was photo-shopped.

Sep 26 13 08:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


MesmerEyes Photography wrote:
I thought all beauticians were magicians. So you are saying that they aren't?

Cosmetic surgeons are the magicians. Beauticians are more like illusionists wink

Sep 26 13 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cosplay Creatives
Posts: 10,714
Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica


Miss Lynnia wrote:

People age at different rates according to their health, genes, and lifestyle. Naturally, smoking, sun tanning, and too much hard liquor and stress would make you age faster physically.

Drugs age people faster too.

Sep 26 13 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John M Hoyt
Posts: 344
Greenville, South Carolina, US


Gryph wrote:
Drugs age people faster too.

I find that at closing time at the bars my band plays in, a lot of 60 year olds will pass for 18.

So alcohol and drugs must therefore be the fountain of youth?

Sep 26 13 09:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,915
New York, New York, US


John M Hoyt wrote:
I find that at closing time at the bars my band plays in, a lot of 60 year olds will pass for 18.

So alcohol and drugs must therefore be the fountain of youth?

Nope!

http://news.msn.com/us/first-cases-of-f … cted-in-us

http://us.123rf.com/450wm/chudtsankov/chudtsankov1302/chudtsankov130200117/17928032-smiling-alligator-or-crocodile-showing-thumbs-up.jpg

Sep 26 13 09:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MesmerEyes Photography
Posts: 2,903
Tyler, Texas, US


John M Hoyt wrote:

I find that at closing time at the bars my band plays in, a lot of 60 year olds will pass for 18.

So alcohol and drugs must therefore be the fountain of youth?

Nope, you're thinking of beer goggles.

Sep 26 13 09:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


John M Hoyt wrote:
I find that at closing time at the bars my band plays in, a lot of 60 year olds will pass for 18.

So alcohol and drugs must therefore be the fountain of youth?

After working as a bouncer and bartender back in my college years, I've seen just the opposite. "Last call" set off not only a scramble for drinks, but also a scramble to find someone before the house lights went up. Major tailoff in hookups once the lights went up. What looked 20 in the dark, looked 50 with the lights.

Sep 26 13 10:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:
Give it forty years. You may then understand the woman's desperate longing to look younger.
Miss Lynnia wrote:
Perhaps. But I'm realistic enough not to expect to look 18 by the time I'm 60.

You may have that perspective when you're old, but some people in rushing waters will hang onto anything that even remotely looks like a life-preserver.

Sep 26 13 10:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Give it forty years. You may then understand the woman's desperate longing to look younger.

You may have that perspective when you're old, but some people in rushing waters will hang onto anything that even remotely looks like a life-preserver.

With people like that, I believe their issue is from within. No matter what you do for them on the outside, it won't matter because their issue is inside them. There are young people, some very attractive people who are never happy with how they look no matter what. When they look in the mirror, they can't see the beauty, only the flaws.

Sep 27 13 09:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Skydancer Photos
Posts: 21,905
Santa Cruz, California, US


There are unhappy people in the world, of all ages.
Sep 27 13 09:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,209
Orlando, Florida, US


I've said the same thing (secretly) about some of the women I've shot over the years.
Sep 27 13 09:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Miss Lynnia wrote:
With people like that, I believe their issue is from within. No matter what you do for them on the outside, it won't matter because their issue is inside them. There are young people, some very attractive people who are never happy with how they look no matter what. When they look in the mirror, they can't see the beauty, only the flaws.

No disagreement with that.

Teens getting boob jobs. The brother of a friend of mine getting his mom to pay for a nose job so a particular girl would go out with him. The list goes on.

It's no different with old people, except many of their ploys fall flat because you simply can't turn back the clock. (Well, some celebs have slowed it at considerable cost.) When I was in college, there was a little old lady who walked around town with this hideous metallic blue wig on her balding head. It was a horror, but considering how desperately she was trying to be pretty it elicited more sympathy than revulsion.

Sep 27 13 10:45 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:

No disagreement with that.

Teens getting boob jobs. The brother of a friend of mine getting his mom to pay for a nose job so a particular girl would go out with him. The list goes on.

It's no different with old people, except many of their ploys fall flat because you simply can't turn back the clock. (Well, some celebs have slowed it at considerable cost.) When I was in college, there was a little old lady who walked around town with this hideous metallic blue wig on her balding head. It was a horror, but considering how desperately she was trying to be pretty it elicited more sympathy than revulsion.

Wow, really? If I were her, I think a normal, natural-looking wig would have done the job just fine. I know a lot of tricks to slow down again and to an extent, aging can be reversed, but not to the extent that my client wanted.

Sep 27 13 02:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cosplay Creatives
Posts: 10,714
Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica


Miss Lynnia wrote:

Wow, really? If I were her, I think a normal, natural-looking wig would have done the job just fine. I know a lot of tricks to slow down again and to an extent, aging can be reversed, but not to the extent that my client wanted.

Sometimes you can bend over backwards, but in the end, there are those that no matter how hard you try, you will never please them.

Sep 27 13 02:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Miss Lynnia wrote:
Wow, really? If I were her, I think a normal, natural-looking wig would have done the job just fine. I know a lot of tricks to slow down again and to an extent, aging can be reversed, but not to the extent that my client wanted.

You'd think a nice brown wig would do, but never underestimate the power of desperation in desperate years.

Sep 27 13 02:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,915
New York, New York, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:

You'd think a nice brown wig would do, but never underestimate the power of desperation in desperate years.

What are desperate years?

Sep 27 13 02:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Jules NYC wrote:
What are desperate years?

Old age, for one. When your looks and energy are diminishing or gone. When you become invisible to many. When your earning power is diminished. When your circle of friends -- if you have one at all -- is dwindling.

Sep 27 13 02:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Franklin
Posts: 460
San Antonio, Texas, US


Maybe all cosmetic/beauty type ads/commercials should do like car commercials. At the bottom of car commercials they usually put in type.something like, " Professional drivers and closed circuit. Do not try at home.", or something to that affect.
Sep 27 13 02:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Patrick Walberg
Posts: 42,518
Salinas, California, US


Miss Lynnia wrote:

With people like that, I believe their issue is from within. No matter what you do for them on the outside, it won't matter because their issue is inside them. There are young people, some very attractive people who are never happy with how they look no matter what. When they look in the mirror, they can't see the beauty, only the flaws.

I've read many of your posts in the past, and I think you are a lovely person inside and out!  I understand how you feel, as someone who is in the service type of industry, we want our clients to be happy.  The sad truth is that not everyone is going to be satisfied.  It has nothing to do with your efforts, as it is something more from within her. 

We all age.  It's a part of life.   I've had some close calls with death over the past years.  I have scars on me and titanium rods in me that I've earned.  Sometimes those old injuries  There are times when I think to myself that it "sucks to grow old" but then I think of the alternative, and I'm grateful to be alive!  And then I think to myself ... "HEY!  I don't look so bad for my age after all!"  wink

Sep 27 13 03:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


Patrick Walberg wrote:

I've read many of your posts in the past, and I think you are a lovely person inside and out!  I understand how you feel, as someone who is in the service type of industry, we want our clients to be happy.  The sad truth is that not everyone is going to be satisfied.  It has nothing to do with your efforts, as it is something more from within her. 

We all age.  It's a part of life.   I've had some close calls with death over the past years.  I have scars on me and titanium rods in me that I've earned.  Sometimes those old injuries  There are times when I think to myself that it "sucks to grow old" but then I think of the alternative, and I'm grateful to be alive!  And then I think to myself ... "HEY!  I don't look so bad for my age after all!"  wink

Hehe, thanx. Why did you have so many accidents? You make it sound like you're a race car driver wink As for me, I'm not afraid of aging as long as I age well. There are plenty of people in their 40s and 50s, even 60s and 70s who still look great. And you don't have to spend a ton of money on surgery or stuff your face with botox either. All you have to do is work out and not over indulge in food and drink as well as avoid all the habits that will age you faster smile I don't want to look 18. I actually look better now then I did when I was in high school smile

Sep 27 13 03:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
T Brown
Posts: 2,384
Traverse City, Michigan, US


Someday you may understand...

losing your youth is very hard for some people to take, think about it...everything you used to be able to do, pursue, desire, and look like is gone. Eroded by time and life, sure some people take it to extremes but if you had a chance to regain something from your past that made you feel better about yourself you'd try right?

And sometimes the life changes come rather fast and drastic which is ultra hard to take, for example my whole life I've always been a very physically fit and strong person, I never knew any boundaries when it came to my body and what I could or couldn't do. Fast forward just 5 years, yes five years and its a totally different story.

Things I could do before are much harder, I have to pace myself, and I've developed high blood pressure that requires medication.

All of this and I still tried to take care of myself...

Enjoy your youth while you can..
Sep 27 13 03:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Lynnia
Posts: 55
Westminster, California, US


T Brown wrote:
Someday you may understand...

losing your youth is very hard for some people to take, think about it...everything you used to be able to do, pursue, desire, and look like is gone. Eroded by time and life, sure some people take it to extremes but if you had a chance to regain something from your past that made you feel better about yourself you'd try right?

And sometimes the life changes come rather fast and drastic which is ultra hard to take, for example my whole life I've always been a very physically fit and strong person, I never knew any boundaries when it came to my body and what I could or couldn't do. Fast forward just 5 years, yes five years and its a totally different story.

Things I could do before are much harder, I have to pace myself, and I've developed high blood pressure that requires medication.

All of this and I still tried to take care of myself...

Enjoy your youth while you can..

I plan to enjoy life till the day I die wink Its all about attitude, my grandma says. She lived till she was 82 and was still outgoing and sociable, and never completely lost the vitality of her youth. smile Appearence-wise, she was still in good shape too smile

Sep 27 13 03:55 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers