login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > How do MODELS feel about Camel Toe? Search   Reply
12345last
Photographer
Innovative Imagery
Posts: 2,815
Los Angeles, California, US


Serious question.  Some photographers are shy and wouldn't know how to bring up this topic.  Throw them a bone and be honest about what you think on this topic.  Is this just an acceptable part of beachwear style today and should be ignored or addressed?

Do you want them to dance around the topic or be direct?  Or should they just Photoshop it without letting you know?

Does the type of session, ie Fashion or Glamor make a difference to you?

When is little OK, when is it too much?

Image below to illustrate the the concept. 

This thread is for how MODELS feel about this, beginners or advanced.  NOT for how Photographers deal with it.

EDIT:  Apparently Photographers can't keep their comments to themselves, even when asked nicely, thereby burying the few helpful comments from models.  Thanks.  (Sarcasm)

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h381/kagphoto/CT-Question_zps0a97f78b.jpg
Oct 21 13 12:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPV Photo
Posts: 781
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


That looks like photoshopped camel toe.
Oct 21 13 12:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hi_Spade Photography
Posts: 897
Darlington, South Carolina, US


This should be fun popcorn.
Oct 21 13 12:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,440
Orlando, Florida, US


How do YOU feel about Mooseknuckle?
Oct 21 13 12:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,849
Upland, California, US


SPV Photo wrote:
That looks like photoshopped camel toe.

Nah... nothin about that subject looked 'edited'... and how did the name 'camel toe' ever come about?... hmm

Oct 21 13 12:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,440
Orlando, Florida, US


Select Models wrote:

Nah... nothin about that subject looked 'edited'... and how did the name 'camel toe' ever come about?... hmm

Seriously?

GIS cameltoe and eventually you'll see an actual camel foot. Or paw. Or hoof. Not sure what it's called.

Oct 21 13 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


I personally hate it.

Sometimes the clothes don't allow for anything else.

What do I want you to do about it? ANYTHING. Tell me about it. Photoshop it. Hell, crop it. Just pretty please don't leave it in the picture.
Oct 21 13 12:40 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 35,811
San Francisco, California, US


http://www.jayleavitt.com/links/guide_forum_llama.gif

Thanks Kickham for replying as a model (yes I know you are a moderator).   I think the OP has posted a serious question.  Let's try to stay on topic.  We've all had camel toe show up in images.  I think the OP is interested in knowing how models feel and if it is important for him to find ways to conceal it.

GPS STUDIO SERVICES - MM FORUM GUIDE
Oct 21 13 12:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim McSmith
Posts: 762
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom


Women can get a gap cap to wear under their clothes to prevent that from showing up.
Oct 21 13 12:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hi_Spade Photography
Posts: 897
Darlington, South Carolina, US


Jim McSmith wrote:
Women can get a gap cap to wear under their clothes to prevent that from showing up.

"gap cap"? Never heard of it. Is that the same thing as a panty liner?

Oct 21 13 12:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


Hi_Spade Photography wrote:

"gap cap"? Never heard of it. Is that the same thing as a panty liner?

http://www.cuchini.com/cuchini-fashion- … uy-cuchini

This wouldn't necessarily be practical for every photoshoot.

Oct 21 13 12:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


K I C K H A M wrote:
This wouldn't necessarily be practical for every photoshoot.

Duct tape?

Ouch! big_smile





Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 21 13 12:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hi_Spade Photography
Posts: 897
Darlington, South Carolina, US


K I C K H A M wrote:

http://www.cuchini.com/cuchini-fashion- … uy-cuchini

This wouldn't necessarily be practical for every photoshoot.

Well damn. Guess I'm way behind the times, lol. Those could come in handy for a swimsuit shoot or certain kinds of lingerie.

Oct 21 13 12:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,160
New York, New York, US


Jim McSmith wrote:
Women can get a gap cap to wear under their clothes to prevent that from showing up.

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooo...!!!  sad

Don't mess with the toe... it's a beautiful marvel of nature!!!

Oct 21 13 01:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


That Italian Guy wrote:

Duct tape?

Ouch! big_smile





Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

I just made a terrible sound out loud.

I think that's the worst words online have ever physically caused me pain. Pretty impressive, Stefano.... tongue

Oct 21 13 01:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,858
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


K I C K H A M wrote:
I personally hate it.

Sometimes the clothes don't allow for anything else.

What do I want you to do about it? ANYTHING. Tell me about it. Photoshop it. Hell, crop it. Just pretty please don't leave it in the picture.

+1

Oct 21 13 01:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
EstherChilcutt
Posts: 8
Bellevue, Washington, US


K I C K H A M wrote:

http://www.cuchini.com/cuchini-fashion- … uy-cuchini

This wouldn't necessarily be practical for every photoshoot.

"AS SEEN ON THE KARDASHIANS"
that scares me in ways didn't think possible

Oct 21 13 01:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SoftLights
Posts: 332
New Orleans, Louisiana, US


udor wrote:

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooo...!!!  sad

Don't mess with the toe... it's a beautiful marvel of nature!!!

+1
Gap Cap, sounds like a dental procedure
I heard Creative Cloud is developing a Toe filter for an additional fee.

Oct 21 13 01:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
London Fog
Posts: 6,770
London, England, United Kingdom


Not a camel toe fan, it's kind of like a weird inverted tropical plant!
Oct 21 13 01:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,320
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Depends on the pictures.

90% of my work is nude anyway, and a fairly big chunk of it is considered sexual. There are a couple glamour images of me where Im actually wearing underwear and theres pretty clear camel toe. The intent of the images was to be sexual and to draw attention to a specific body part (or parts) so the presence of camel toe doesnt exactly ruin the shot. Some people go fucking gaga over it.

If it were a fashion shoot or a catalogue shoot for targets swimwear line or something though...then yes its completely out of place and should probably be corrected somehow.


As for how to address the issue...just tell me "you have camel toe, fix your underwear", its that simple. Its no different (to me, anyway) than "your bra strap is twisted" "theres a tag hanging out" "youve got a hair in your face" etc.
Oct 21 13 01:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


K I C K H A M wrote:
I just made a terrible sound out loud.

I think that's the worst words online have ever physically caused me pain. Pretty impressive, Stefano.... tongue

I always aim to please bunny




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 21 13 01:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,335
Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia


Innovative Imagery wrote:
How do MODELS feel about Camel Toe?

Many (including me) believe what is natural is not ugly.
Still, I allow a model to remove any image she personally dislikes, after a photo session.

Oct 21 13 01:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,320
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Dan OMell wrote:
Many (including me) believe what is natural is not ugly.
Still, I allow a model to remove any image she personally dislikes, after a photo session.

Its not really so much about "ugliness" as it is about drawing attention to something that wasnt meant to be the main focus of the image. You wouldnt exactly draw an outline of your junk onto your pants for normal every-day wear, unless your intention is to have everyone staring at your junk

Oct 21 13 01:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J Millman Photography
Posts: 198
Norwich, England, United Kingdom


Show the toe!
It's as normal and natural as a crease in fabric around the knee or elbow!
Oct 21 13 01:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,440
Orlando, Florida, US


Innovative Imagery wrote:
Serious question.  Some photographers are shy and wouldn't know how to bring up this topic.  Throw them a bone and be honest about what you think on this topic.  Is this just an acceptable part of beachwear style today and should be ignored or addressed?

Do you want them to dance around the topic or be direct?  Or should they just Photoshop it without letting you know?

Does the type of session, ie Fashion or Glamor make a difference to you?

When is little OK, when is it too much?

Image below to illustrate the the concept. 

This thread is for how MODELS feel about this, beginners or advanced.  NOT for how Photographers deal with it.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h381/kagphoto/CT-Question_zps0a97f78b.jpg

I'm more offended by the twisted bikini top strap.

Oct 21 13 02:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 7,187
New York, New York, US


Clothes are over rated. big_smile Shoot nekkid!
Oct 21 13 02:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Magda Kulpinska
Posts: 531
Paris, Île-de-France, France


Uhm, just say it? It can be said funny. It can be said in a pro way. It can be said in a shy-awkward way. I prefer 1 and 2. If there's no way around it - photoshop.

Of course I dont want it in the picture. But in case of doubt I tend to doublecheck before posing anyways.
Oct 21 13 02:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Amber Dawn - Colorado
Posts: 6,146
Castle Rock, Colorado, US


Wear the right size clothing? Check how your clothing is looking before taking an image?

I don't like it!
Oct 21 13 02:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Magda Kulpinska
Posts: 531
Paris, Île-de-France, France


K I C K H A M wrote:
This wouldn't necessarily be practical for every photoshoot.

Plus.... 20-something USD...?

Oct 21 13 02:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
m_s_photo
Posts: 602
Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada


Laura UnBound wrote:
Its not really so much about "ugliness" as it is about drawing attention to something that wasnt meant to be the main focus of the image. You wouldnt exactly draw an outline of your junk onto your pants for normal every-day wear, unless your intention is to have everyone staring at your junk

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the codpiece? I think we're due for a revival.

Oct 21 13 02:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 18,211
Orlando, Florida, US


As a girl I think camel toe looks awful so I would instruct your model  to fix before taking photo. The same if the model had a wedgy I would instruct her to fix it.


Is funny how most pro camel toe in the thread have been the male photographers.

Anyhow I don't think camel toe is natural as most have stated. It usually only happens if you are wearing clothing that doesn't fit properly.
Oct 21 13 02:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
_eMMe_
Posts: 842
Florence, Toscana, Italy


I shoot nude the most time, but I find it quite disgusting. And, ehi guy, if you just have your lingerie or swimsuit in order, you will not see anything similar.
Oct 21 13 03:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sperohh
Posts: 30
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


well, I never have this issue.

Camel toe happens because a models cunt..excuse me..vaginal lips, specifically the outer lips, her labia Majora are significantly larger than her Labia Minora. Both of mine are equal in size, so this is never a problem for me.

I think you should ask her to adjust. Period.
Oct 21 13 03:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,335
Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russia


Dan OMell wrote:
Many (including me) believe what is natural is not ugly.
Still, I allow a model to remove any image she personally dislikes, after a photo session.

Laura UnBound wrote:
Its not really so much about "ugliness" as it is about drawing attention to something that wasnt meant to be the main focus of the image. You wouldnt exactly draw an outline of your junk onto your pants for normal every-day wear, unless your intention is to have everyone staring at your junk

Looks like you're coming from "comme il faut" attitude? smile

Well, even retouchers leave at least traces of pores and even wrinkles on the faces to make people looking still a bit human. How you deal with all this "junky" stuff, depends on the standards of beauty, social and personal preference and cultural differences. I know many models love to look like the plastic Barbie dolls EVERYWHERE, in all places. And I'm not necessarily totally against it, therefore, I'm partially on your side smile.

I also agree with your opinion on the male "junk". But, looking at the ancient Italy costumes, traditions (junk sand bags?), modern ballet dancers outfits, some rappers, urban fashionistas in NYC, etc. I would say how do you define "normal"?   

Plus, sometimes, the best way to not draw any attention is to remove the cover, if this is an option. I don't shoot nudes. But if I did, I could draw attention to anything I want, including a "junk" and still make it totally aesthetically pleasing in classic sense. I'm not scared by anything or anyone.

Many seemingly "right" things aren't necessarily that natural. For Nature, for example, our brain looks like just a gigantic carcinoma with all those problems, fobias and prejudices it's created for its own sake.

It's in your mind. There is no absolutely right or wrong. There are some opinions. I'm open to other opinions, and respect yours, for example. But I don't propose mine as the most righteous.

I know that many women disgusted by camel toes, psychologically speaking. And even more, http://docakilah.wordpress.com/2011/11/ … r-vaginas/

Oct 21 13 03:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Elizabeta Rosandic
Posts: 951
Santa Fe, New Mexico, US


I don't like it, only because it looks uncomfortable. It just makes me think "man I hate getting frontal wedgies" and I get too busy shuddering to appreciate anything else about the image.
Oct 21 13 03:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DOUGLASFOTOS
Posts: 8,345
Los Angeles, California, US


isn't the photo a 18+
Oct 21 13 03:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Elizabeta Rosandic
Posts: 951
Santa Fe, New Mexico, US


udor wrote:

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooo...!!!  sad

Don't mess with the toe... it's a beautiful marvel of nature!!!

It's actually just a vulva with cloth over it. No need to get so obsessive.

Oct 21 13 03:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HHPhoto
Posts: 911
Atlanta, Georgia, US


DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
isn't the photo a 18+

Possibly, it crossed my mind too.  But technically, probably not.
It might have more to do with how we look at the picture than the picture itself.

Oct 21 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,320
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Dyylan Jamess wrote:
well, I never have this issue.

Camel toe happens because a models cunt..excuse me..vaginal lips, specifically the outer lips, her labia Majora are significantly larger than her Labia Minora. Both of mine are equal in size, so this is never a problem for me.

I think you should ask her to adjust. Period.

"camel toe" is encompassing a number of problems.

sometimes its just that the underwear/pants/swimsuit/whatever is too small or tight, and the material type is showing a full outline of the business.

Sometimes the material just gets tucked between the labia, like a wedgie

Sometimes theres a seam...which also plays into the whole "the garment just doesnt fit" problem of the first example

If youre doing a swimwear suit and the garment gets wet and clings to you.


etc etc.

Its not all about labia size. Sometimes its completely inevitable, sometimes it just takes a moment of adjusting your garment.

Oct 21 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BlueMoonPics
Posts: 4,325
New York, New York, US


Laura UnBound wrote:
Depends on the pictures.

90% of my work is nude anyway, and a fairly big chunk of it is considered sexual. There are a couple glamour images of me where Im actually wearing underwear and theres pretty clear camel toe. The intent of the images was to be sexual and to draw attention to a specific body part (or parts) so the presence of camel toe doesnt exactly ruin the shot. Some people go fucking gaga over it.

If it were a fashion shoot or a catalogue shoot for targets swimwear line or something though...then yes its completely out of place and should probably be corrected somehow.


As for how to address the issue...just tell me "you have camel toe, fix your underwear", its that simple. Its no different (to me, anyway) than "your bra strap is twisted" "theres a tag hanging out" "youve got a hair in your face" etc.

This is exactly my feeling.  It totally depends on the intended purpose of the image.

Oct 21 13 03:25 pm  Link  Quote 
12345last   Search   Reply