Skai Chan PhotographyPhotographer Male Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
My MM URL: http://www.modelmayhem.com/skaichan
Mayhem # 2980309
About MeI'm a professional freelance photographer based in Singapore and my clients (individuals and corporate companies) engage my services mostly for portrait, event and interior shoots. I prefer working with individuals but also take up some commercial projects requested by sincere clients who appreciate my work. For my bio here, I'll focus mainly on portrait shoots since MM is a modelling website.
The guy with the dachshund in my profile picture is me. It's a self taken photograph, not the best, but enough to let you know whom you're going to talk to and/or work with. Please read my write-up below even though it's quite (actually, very) lengthy.
If you like my work, tips, write-up or personality, please follow my Facebook page at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography and Instagram at http://instagram.com/skaichanphotography to show your appreciation and see my latest work (I can only upload 15 photos in MM)!
Don't forget to send me a "hello" message via Facebook.
► ► 01 ► GOALS
My main goal in ModelMayhem is to network with like-minded models, makeup artists, hairstylists and wardrobe/fashion designers, and to exchange ideas with these talents. How about yours?
I yearn to create more breathtaking work so that the world can remember me whenever they think of photography. I wish to prove to everyone that putting extra hard work will eventually lead to success. Will you like to help me?
Read more about my goals in http://skaichanphotography.com/freelace-photographer-singapore.php
► ► 02 ► LOVE AND AVAILABILITY
I love seeing beautiful things. I love preserving moments forever through photography. I also love making people feel good and building up their confidence. Hence I love people (portraiture and event) photography. I feel most accomplished when people prefer my photos to others that are taken by more expensive photography equipment.
I'm learning photography through the hard way - trial and error. Youtube is my teacher and I do have many consultants who can laugh with me and give me love. Fortunately and unfortunately, I learn from mistakes.
I'm pretty lucky not just because it's my dog's name. I have a very good commercial hair and makeup artist friend, Tricia Lee, who has been guiding (plus nagging and drilling) me on models' poses and grooming, and other things, even though I have been abusing (teasing) her, verbally. Unfortunately, she's very busy and has only helped two of my models with hair and makeup personally. I also have friends who have started photography earlier and are willing to share their knowledge generously without having to bribe or point knife at them.
I'm running a small tuition agency and my skill includes web designing, programming and internet marketing (such as flirting with Google). Hence, my time is flexible but hectic. I prefer shooting during weekdays. Most of my clients book me for event shoots during weekends, which means you have to book me in advance for a weekend photoshoot.
I don't drive because car prices in Singapore are insane. I don't own a studio because I do not wish to kill my passion by taking up more assignments (and probably at lower rates) just to pay the high rental - but I do have the connection to borrow indoor places to create makeshift studios.
►► 03 ► HISTORY THAT I APPRECIATE
I've never hired a model before and I'm glad I've learned portrait shoot without getting compliments from guys in social media who think beauty is mainly about showing skin. I started doing portraiture shoot with both online and offline friends instead. They may not be as pretty and hot as FHM models or celebrities but they possess beautiful souls - how many "models" would collaborate with a photographer when he doesn't have a portfolio (except that he would keep them entertained throughout)?
My first "better quality" camera was a mirrorless camera that didn't even have a hot shoe for external speedlite (flash). Most of my models shot with me without putting on any makeup during that period of time. We also had major problems with outfits. However, I was glad that I was able to produce results with all the challenges. I switched to a cropped body DSLR (entry level) and finally to the cheapest full-frame camera I could afford. I'm glad that I have begun with less professional equipment to understand the differences.
I've been meeting good clients who are kind and easygoing, and have helped me to build up fund to support my photography equipment and portfolio to showcase my talent. The models I've worked with trust my character and feel comfortable with me, and thus I'm able to create natural-looking photographs.
►► 04 ► PORTRAITURE PHOTOGRAPHY
"You don't need to be pretty to appear in photos; you just need to appear pretty in the photos." - we will work on this together.
There're different angles that can flatter a person's looks and the photographer has to find them. When elements such as hairstyle, makeup, outfit, expression and posture are properly done, an ordinary person can look fantastic in still pictures with the help of the photographer at the correct setting (eg. suitable background and props). The reality is you will need a HMUA if you can't even do basic makeup and hair-styling.
Photoshoot isn't restricted to only professional models and model-wannabe; anyone who wishes to keep some good memories of herself while she's young can do it as well. It's also for people who want to upload better looking photos into their Facebook and Instagram profiles or simply to spread the love.
"Anyone can show body but not everyone can show expression."
I'm open to all portraiture themes that my equipment can support. In fact, I'd love to try all genres at least once in my life. Most importantly, I'd want to keep my shoots unique and tasteful regardless of the theme and amount of clothes the model wears.
If you're an easygoing and open-minded person who is interested to work with me, do contact me. By being "open-minded", I do not mean willingness to do nude shoot. You should be able to accept creative or weird ideas, and dare to show skin if the theme requires.
►► 05 ► PORTRAIT SHOOTING STYLE
Simple . Natural .
Since I can only create makeshift studios that have limited space, I'm doing outdoor shoot most of the time, unless the client provides an indoor venue. I don't like shooting with a plain backdrop as well because it's less interesting. Due to the sun's harshness and direction, timing is crucial for outdoor shoot.
Without a car and having limited budget, I've to keep to the minimum equipment possible while they, besides being bulky, usually weigh around 15kg or heavier in total. Moreover, I usually work without an assistant (they are usually busy with their own lives) who can at least secure my lighting equipment from the ruthless wind and thus I believe in keeping things simple.
By using only limited equipment, I may not be able to create what some photographers deem as "award-winning lighting". I can't shape the light as what I've in mind, but I'm able to utilize them and produce photographs that are good enough to gain admiration from clients.
I keep my shoot more towards lifestyle so that even non models can do it and look natural in the photographs.
►► 06 ► INCREASE YOUR EXPOSURE
Via web links exchange. Being a good artist is not enough if your work is not known to others. If you own a website/portfolio/blog like SquareSpace, Blogspot, Wordpress, Weebly or Wix, you may want to get more exposure for more people to find out about your artwork. Therefore, you may want to do links exchange with me. I will put your URL on my page at http://skaichanphotography.com/links.php and you put mine on yours.
My website currently has around 50 to 100+ hits per day and I have been actively adding new contents regularly, which will help to drive more traffics. I also do internet marketing for it.
If you're interested, do link my site at http://skaichanphotography.com before you send me a message at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography with your URL (www) and the page where you have placed my URL on.
►► 07 ► ALERT FOR MODELS TAKING ASSIGNMENTS IN SINGAPORE
For any trade in every country, there will be some black sheep. Do not assume Singapore is completely safe just because the crime rate is low. Many "photographers" are trying hard to get in between the legs of models. Private photos between you and the photographer can also be sold at high rates with the excuse that the photographer's laptop is being hacked.
Therefore, before you agree to shoot with a photographer who may be paying you a large sum of money, look at his portfolio and judge, and Google about him!
If you are unsure, you can contact me directly (in Facebook) and seek advice before you confirm any shoot with any photographer.
►► 08 ► TIPS FOR MODELS USING MODELMAYHEM
Hope these help a bit.
01. If you are not taking up TFCD/TFP photo shoot, set your "Compensation" to "Paid Assignments Only" instead of "Depends on Assignment" or "Any". More photographers will be irritated by you than they do to you. After all, it reflects on your intelligence in filling up a simple web form.
02. If you are not doing any type of shoot, for example, bikini, do NOT upload any photo with bikini on. This will give photographers a wrong idea even if you do not indicate "swimwear" in the "genre".
03. Provide as much information about yourself as possible; leaving fields blank will definitely reduce the chance of serious photographers finding and approaching you.
04. Bio is important! It gives people a rough idea about you and your style. It shows your seriousness about modelling. Do spend some effort in writing.
05. Do not disclose contact number in your bio unless you want to invite perverts to harass you; you can always give potential photographers (those who are not creepy) your number through message.
06. If you have to provide your email address, at least make it difficult for spam bot from collecting them. You can, for example, type like "abc at gmail dot com". If the photographer cannot figure out your actual email address from that, why bother to communicate and risk your health since you are likely to get pissed off?
07. Adding and accepting new friends will not harm you. People who are not going to collaborate with you now may do it in future. Making new friends and sharing of ideas will only help you to improve.
08. When uploading your photos, always remember "quality over quantity".
09. You should always have a website to showcase your portfolio properly. If you are not good in web stuffs, at least start a blogspot.com site - it is free anyway.
10. The "URL to site" field is free, add your portfolio or Facebook url to it!
11. There is a limit of 5 messages per day for basic account. Therefore, please be open to share your Facebook, email or Skype (in private message) when a potential photographer requests for it. Asking for an easier communication medium does not mean the person is trying to woo you. By the way, most people prefer messengers over email because of the real-time quick response. If you insist to discuss about the shoot only through email, be prepared that some photographers may be turned off due to misunderstanding - thinking that you are weird or arrogant.
12. If you are doing TFCD/TFP photo shoot, be prepared that most photographers will approach you for sexy shoot, such as bikini, lingerie or even implied nude. There are not many TFCD models who are willing to do such shoot, and thus, they may just try their luck and there is nothing wrong. Just make sure you have indicated your genre properly and state inside your bio about your restrictions.
13. If you are open to do nude shoot, you will definitely invite more perverts than other girls. If you cannot stand the harassment, try indicating "no" for "Shoot Nudes" field. You can state it inside your bio.
14. If you are going to message every photographer to sell your paid modelling services, at least read through the photographer's profile first because it can be insulting to good photographers who are receiving payments for photoshoot.
15. If you are new to modelling and do not have a portfolio, it is better for you to take up a few TFCD assignments first, unless you are doing sexy shoot, which rich "photographers" will be interested.
16. If you have uploaded only some causal photos and someone comments that you have very nice portfolio/work, obviously that person does copy-and-paste work to every girl's profile/photos.
17. Learn to judge photographers' portfolios or at least seek opinions from your more experienced photographer friend before you accept the shoot in order not to waste your time.
18. If you are open to do sexy shoot (nude, implied, topless, lingerie), do read up http://skaichanphotography.com/dangers-of-doing-sexy-photoshoot-for-female-models.php .
19. There are various types of scam. Do go through http://skaichanphotography.com/photography-modelling-scams.php to avoid falling for the tricks.
20. If you like these tips or my photos, do follow my Facebook page at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography and Instagram at http://instagram.com/skaichanphotography!
►► 09 ► PRIVATE FEEDBACK FOR YOUR MM PROFILE/PORTFOLIO
If you're a female model, whether a new or experienced one, you probably have many males singing praises on your photographs. After you float in the air for a while, thinking that you're going to become a famous international model soon, do calm down and make some comparison with other more experienced models' photographs. I've been seeing this daily in both ModelMayhem and Facebook - the model's face may not be in a flattering angle or the photograph is over-processed - guys are just fighting to be the first to give ridiculously positive feedback. I also have very potential model friends who have new work weekly but most of them seem to be taken by random photographers - there's insignificant or zero improvement.
The trick is that you should never get too complacent with your work no matter how guys are worshiping you like a goddess. Look at more work from others, accept critiques and never stop trying to learn more.
If you've read my writing from the top to bottom, you're likely to be a sincere and hardworking person. If you're interested, we can exchange ideas about your profile and photographs. You may follow the following steps if you wish to hear from me:
1. Go to my Facebook page at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography
2. LIKE the page
3. Send me a Facebook message with your ModelMayhem profile URL and tell me what's your plan in the near future with the creating of your profile, and let me know you want some comments.
Do note that not all comments are positive and that I may reply your message late if I happen to be busy. After all, others won't get to see my feedback and thus it won't do you any harm even if I were to state anything negative.
You can also visit http://skaichanphotography.com/faq-photography-singapore.php to find out more about interesting facts about photographers.
►► 10 ► PORTFOLIO BUILDING FOR NEW POTENTIAL MODELS & HMUAs
I'm open, but selective, to help talented newbie with great personality by collaborating and creating beautiful work together when I'm available. I've very limited time and my paid jobs (clients) will always be in the top priority.
I cherish friendship and my skill in both photography and internet marketing will value-add to your portfolio and services.
If you're interested in working with me, please read: http://skaichanphotography.com/tfp-tfcd-photo-shoot-singapore.php for my working style.
P.S: Approach me only if you like my work and working style, and not because you're desperate to get new portfolio and thus you don't mind working with just any photographer.
Even if you're not going to work with me now, you can also add me up to make friends with me and exchange ideas. I don't bite - my dog usually does the job.
►► 11 ► CONTACT ME
Please contact me ONLY via Facebook at http://facebook.com/skaichanphotography and state your MM's URL so that I know who are you.
While there's a limit of five daily messages in MM for basic accounts, I prefer to consolidate all enquiries and chats at a single platform. Therefore, I'm no longer replying messages here unless you're going to engage my photography services. Show your sincerity if you wish to contact me.
Full Portfolio: http://skaichanphotography.com/
BEWARE OF FAKE SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS THAT ARE IMPERSONATING ME. One such account is https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008329246932 although it's already being taken down by Facebook. There are also fake Instagram accounts, which Instagram takes forever to take them down.
Note: I don't entertain any agent or "personal assistant". I've never paid for photographing models; there's no point in tempting me with discounted price for nude or bikini shoot to help you to build up your portfolio. Proud people can skip me as well.
Have you worked with Skai Chan Photography? Add Credits for Skai Chan Photography! >>
Credit NotesPlease refer to http://skaichanphotography.com/credits.php for more details.
Models (friends and clients):
Mr Chew Chee Chiang & Ms Lee (Chew Plumbing & Construction)
Angie Mui (Framing Angie)
Low Kah Yoke
David & Jess (couple)
Tommy Wee & Evelyn (couple)
Thomas Ng (ShuBox Design)
Ryan & Yuanzhi (couple)
Nathalie Blue #2286271
Brian & Claudia (couple)
Leila Louise #544246
Bianca Pietersz #3418775
Chew Si Pei
April Toh #3547448
Terry & Lynwen (couple)
Joey Yan #2647190
Peter & Peiwei (couple)
Anastasia Butrim #3299349
Michael & Valerie (couple)
Selvy Sequence #3166746
Derrick Chin & Ariel Tan (couple)
Mike Ong & Monica Weng (couple)
Dance Channel (Dancing team)
Tisha Azmi #2617430
Michelle Low #2613399
Nikoru Nicole #2146809
Mia Manan #33324338
Oh Yong Peck
Irene Ong Meiling
KT Pham Thi Kieu Trang
Dionne Loh Xiuzhen
Constance Huang Wanling
Do refer to my portfolio (http://skaichanphotography.com/portrait-photography-singapore.php). A large number of my models don't have accounts here.
Hair & Make-up artist:
Tricia Lee (HMUA)
Evelynn Tham (HMUA)
Edel Goh (MUA)
Andrea Lai (HMUA)
Tan Sihui (Hair stylist)
Lavender Artistry by Mandy Yeo (HMUA) #2470014
Lovelle Tan (MUA)
Koreen Hong (HMUA)
Kelly Lim (HMUA)