Forums > Newbie Forum > CLT's Survival Guide For MM Newbies

Model

Fiona L 1125

Brooklyn, New York, US

Leo C wrote:

Mike, you have the right to take or ignore any advice given here. If you don't like what you see, skip and move on. Doing what you did is what got most newbie into trouble. We are the nice people group here in MM. If you have problem with us, you're going to have a lot of problem here in MM. Just wait until you posting something dumb in the wrong thread or asking the wrong questions in the wrong time. . . I wish you luck. But you won;t be getting any sympathy from me when you get attack in the forum in the future.

I would've just simply threw bananas at him

Feb 27 07 06:52 pm Link

Model

Katy Lee

Akron, Alabama, US

This thread is so informative it deserves another bump, therefore...

...ba-bump bump. smile

Feb 28 07 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Nonehere

Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

Leo C.

I'm surprised by you threatening me like you did. That was immature and childish of you. But, hey, you and I are intitled of our opinions. That's all it is, OPINIONS.

The instructions given should have been done elsewhere. They make sense, common sense that is. I find this site informative, not only in words, but, by what people like you post for people like myself who is experienced in wildlife/landscape photography/25 years and is looking to move on over to another areas in photography.
So yes, I'm very much interested in what people have to say etc. No, I'm not all interested in other forums. I think this part of the forum is a good start to say, CHEERS.

Anyhow, friends or not, I find your work informative, so, thanks and keep up the good work.

I still believe, newbie or not, we ALL have a right to say something, stupid or not, who cares.

Cheers Leo

Feb 28 07 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

M Hodgson Photography wrote:
I still believe, newbie or not, we ALL have a right to say something, stupid or not, who cares.

Mr Hodgson,

The title of my thread is "survival guide". It is meant to tip off newbies on common mistakes. I intent to elaborate my advices in the future, but I only devote to this in my spare time, so the progress is slow.

None of my tips were meant to limit one's freedom of speech. But the simple fact is, certain actions lead to certain consequences. Posting some of the topic that I mentioned in my guide will lead to unnecessary unpleasantness.

Free advice are just that. Free advice. Your perception of my intention was wrong. I'm not againt newbies. I like newbies. I'm on newbies' side and thus I made this guide to help them, to pass on what I learned.

Welcome to Mayhem.

-CLT

Feb 28 07 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Nonehere

Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

Cheers CLT,

Understood. wink Thanks,

Mike

Feb 28 07 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

David Richelieu

London, England, United Kingdom

I would've just simply threw bananas at him

excellent.

you guys are seriously serious.

look i'm talking the vernacular already already

perhaps some newbies might be kings or wolves or badgers from another cyberspace territory

Feb 28 07 07:49 pm Link

Model

Model Mayhem

El Segundo, California, US

/picks up a green thumbtack

Feb 28 07 08:39 pm Link

Model

Fiona L 1125

Brooklyn, New York, US

Tyler wrote:
/picks up a green thumbtack

Yay big_smile Thank you Tyler big_smile

Feb 28 07 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Nickyboy

Brick, New Jersey, US

I'm just a newbie...but can't we all just get along...lol!

Feb 28 07 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Do I get kickbacks for being quoted out of forum?

Feb 28 07 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Do I get kickbacks for being quoted out of forum?

How about a quater of a quarter?

ps. Thanks Tyler for the perma-bump.

Mar 01 07 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Solo Symphony

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

david richardson wrote:
perhaps some newbies might be kings or wolves or badgers from another cyberspace territory

I second that!
I've been active on forums on other great modeling sites (and of course non-photography related sites) for a long time, and I see no reason why when i join up here that i should be 'silent for at least a few weeks'.... i'm not saying i know all, or anything of that sort, but I just thought i'd clarify this, that some, the experienced few who are new to a new site, but not new to related sites, are completely free to "Jump Right In" and can post what they please, right away.

Ohh, and Hi all! I'm new to MM! Thanks for reading my first ever post on the MM forum! Good day to you all!

Mar 05 07 04:48 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

smile

Great thread!

Mar 05 07 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

CLT wrote:
In short: Play with the bunnies, be friends with the wolves. Respect the Rangers, stay away from the Trolls. Hail the King, get your free t-shirt, and let the Monkeys be ignored.

Ha! This is funny. But, true...

How did I not see this thread before today? Lol...

Mar 06 07 01:22 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

What am I?  Cuz I like bunnies and am deathly afraid of squirrels/chipmunks.

Mar 06 07 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Very good advice..... however if taken ... we loose all the fun sad

Mar 06 07 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

gtpix

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thank you.  I find your words of advice very helpful.

Mar 07 07 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

I think this thread is a brilliant idea - kudos to the OP for taking the time to create this. A couple more ideas:

Read an entire thread before posting a reply. There is a very good chance something has been clarified, has become a dead issue, or the OP may have possibly even been banned somewhere in the thread, and if you post a reply before reading through the thread your posting may be already a moot point by the time it is read.

Don't welcome every single new member who posts in the newbie Forum. It comes across as a desperate need for attention, or, at the very least, just a ploy to build your posting number to look important.

Mar 14 07 10:51 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Thank you Greg, for your contribution.

Here's an example of what NOT to post in the forum:
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=131368

The result is angry bunny-mod stumping on you. It's way worse than having wolves tear you apart.

While you have the freedom to choosing who to work with, it is unwise to insult the ones you don't want to work with. Respect what other people do, and they'll be more likely to respect yours.

Mar 14 07 04:51 pm Link

Model

Fiona L 1125

Brooklyn, New York, US

CLT wrote:
Thank you Greg, for your contribution.

Here's an example of what NOT to post in the forum:
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=131368

The result is angry bunny-mod stumping on you. It's way worse than having wolves tear you apart.

While you have the freedom to choosing who to work with, it is unwise to insult the ones you don't want to work with. Respect what other people do, and they'll be more likely to respect yours.

ROFL I didn't even see that...oh my gosh...

I wonder if the newbies actually come in here and read your bunny wolves thing...
If that girl did, she wouldn't have done what she did.

Mar 15 07 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Fiona 90 wrote:

ROFL I didn't even see that...oh my gosh...

I wonder if the newbies actually come in here and read your bunny wolves thing...
If that girl did, she wouldn't have done what she did.

I don't know about that - she was a lunatic and didn't an ounce of logic or common sense.

Mar 15 07 01:04 pm Link

Model

Kelley Gayle

Windsor, Colorado, US

Wow, I wish I had seen this thread when I first joined.  I learned the hard way.  Newbies should definitely take the time to read this and use it.

Mar 16 07 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

People need to let newbies know that this is must read, just like newmodels.com

Mar 22 07 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

JamesIsIn

Seattle, Washington, US

This might be a good thread to include information for maximizing search results in the forum.  What I mean to say is that what kinds of searches can be done and how can they be narrowed?

I ask because I was looking for a way to seach out forum posts where I had contributed when I stumbled upon this.  You stress the importance of making searches (before starting a new thread), but there is no advice included on how to make effective searches.

Of course if anyone can tell me how to locate only those posts to which I have contributed I'd be happy to hear even if that information does not find its way into the very useful tutorial above.

Mar 28 07 01:02 am Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

CLT wrote:
Disclaimer: This guide was written and provided to Mayhem members on volunteer basis. I, and other contributors, are not directly affiliated with ModelMayhem.com, its parent entity, or its subsidiaries.

Thank you very much Mr. CLT!

I will certainly read this guide.

Tengu

smile

Mar 28 07 01:07 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

James, you can't search threads by anything except title.  So if there is a thread you really want to keep track of, add it to your favorites list.  The best way to search the forums is to think of keywords and type them in.  It's not an exact science, but it's not rocket science either.

Mar 28 07 01:09 am Link

Model

Dominikan Fuego

Belize, Belize, Belize

CLT wrote:
Please keep this thread clean and informative.

NEW!:
- Third person profiles? - added on 2/15
- The Ecology of MM Forums - added on 2/14

Welcome to my survival guide for MM newbies. This thread contains some tips and advices especially useful for people who are new to Model Mayhem. This thread will not help you become successful. This thread is designed only to help you stay out of trouble.

The guide contains mostly tips for people who are fairly new to modeling. Some tips are for models only, while some are universal and apply to photographers and stylists as well. There are two main components at this time.

1. Bio Do's and Dont's - talks about what are some of the things to avoid when you write your bio, as well as some other tips.

2a. The Ecology of MM Forums - learn the types of creatures that post in the forums.

2b. Basic Forum Survival Tips - avoid getting torn apart. It's not pretty.

Disclaimer: This guide was written and provided to Mayhem members on volunteer basis. I, and other contributors, are not directly affiliated with ModelMayhem.com, its parent entity, or its subsidiaries.

Notes to other MM survivors:
If you have other survival tips, please feel free to provide them in the form of a reply. I will continue to add to this guide per your suggestion. I also reserve the right to choose which tips to include. Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am new to MM and I am glad I went into the Forum and actually found this survival guide. It sure has given me a inside view of what to expect, do's and dont's. Thank you so much for the advice.

P.S.-I read what that Mod wrote about Photog's and She was simply senseless.

Again Thank you for all the advice on here.

Mar 28 07 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Acid Reign Images

Campbell, California, US

CLT, thanks for this guide and for the link to that one thread, it was informative and entertaining.

Mar 28 07 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

JamesIsIn

Seattle, Washington, US

MelissaLynnette-LaDiva wrote:
if there is a thread you really want to keep track of, add it to your favorites list.

And for those of you following along who don't use MS's useless piece of shit alleged browser IE, the "favorites list" would be your bookmarks.

Thanks, Melissa; I'll do that.

(Nothing against you, it's just that MS can kiss my rosey red ass with tongue.  Sometimes it's ok to let the geek within shine through.  If you are considering switching, I recommend Opera first and Firefox second.)

Mar 29 07 04:47 am Link

Model

Lola Babalon

Seattle, Washington, US

Great advice. I've been around MM for a while, and even though I don't post much, I do read the forums a lot. If everyone could follow these rules, the poor mods would be incredibly bored!

Good work!

Mar 29 07 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a true tip or is just a pet peeve of mine...

Make the title of your introductory post in the Newbie Forum an informative one. There are oodles of posts there each day and I am more likely to read one titled

"New female model in Maryland"

than one titled

"Hi, I'm new here!"

Mar 29 07 09:43 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Dogbone Alt-Process wrote:

Make the title of your introductory post in the Newbie Forum an informative one. There are oodles of posts there each day and I am more likely to read one titled

than one titled

"Hi, I'm new here!"

It's a good tip. Including the location in the thread title will draw more attention than a generic one. If you're introducing yourself, you want to somehow attract the attention of other talents in your area. If I see 10 new newbie posts and one of them says "Virginia" in the title, guess which one I would click on first?

Mar 29 07 11:02 am Link

Model

HellKitten

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

This is a good thread smile Very informative. Thank you for starting it. Definitely doing much reading before posting anywhere about anything wink

Mar 30 07 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Dogbone Alt-Process wrote:

than one titled

"Hi, I'm new here!"

Absolutely.

I posted a thread about that once in the Newbie Forum - one of the newbies got all pissy and replied that all you had to do was click on the avatar to get to her profile and you could see where she was located.

Clearly didn't get the point I was making.

Apr 06 07 01:24 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
Absolutely.

I posted a thread about that once in the Newbie Forum - one of the newbies got all pissy and replied that all you had to do was click on the avatar to get to her profile and you could see where she was located.

Clearly didn't get the point I was making.

Ok guys, this is what we do. We bump all the threads WITH LOCATION to the top to fill the page. This way, new members will observe a trend and follow.

Apr 06 07 11:00 am Link

Model

Fiona L 1125

Brooklyn, New York, US

CLT wrote:

Ok guys, this is what we do. We bump all the threads WITH LOCATION to the top to fill the page. This way, new members will observe a trend and follow.

Lol have fun doing that smile

Apr 06 07 11:03 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Fiona 90 wrote:

Lol have fun doing that smile

Help me out here, I don't want to look like... you-know-who.

Apr 06 07 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

CLT wrote:

Help me out here, I don't want to look like... you-know-who.

Wow - if we do that "you know who" might get a little psycho.

Apr 06 07 05:14 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Grider

NINEVEH, Indiana, US

what is MUA?

Apr 07 07 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Make Up Artist

Apr 08 07 05:38 pm Link