This thread was locked on 2007-05-19 01:36:11
Forums > Model Colloquy > You're Not a Model....

Photographer

Nelson Jones TOPOP

Atlanta, Georgia, US

(This letter is being put into limited P/R materials because I'm so tried of laughing and crying...you don't have to ask why...)
NJ

Letter to Models:

Honestly I don’t know much else…

The longest job I’ve ever kept was working for myself other than that, I’m an awarding winning waiter.
I don’t know anything about being a taxi driver, doctor, lawyer, receptionist, banker or anything about what you’re parents do for a living but when it comes to the subject of modeling, I know what I’m talking about.

There is no arguing that models get preferential treatment just because they’re models. I mean, let’s quit bullshitting each other, looks make the world go around. The prettier you are the better your life! Make Up Case Closed! If you have the right look it all happens really quickly.

The music industry by far is the most corrupt business on the face of earth. The modeling business by far is the sleaziest business on earth, hands down and it started out that way.

Back in 1923 John Robert Powers started his “agency”, the very first agency, out of his one bed room apartment above a ‘Speakeasy’ and gave all his favorite girls a ‘Powers Box’.
A ‘Speakeasy’ nowadays would be called a strip club and the ‘Powers Boxes” which were made like a hand held hat box with compartments for make up, accessories, stockings etc.
And you had to be special to get one. You what I mean?

“Young models are chum for asshole sharks. How ironic that the most exquisite looking people in the world should end up choosing the profession that requires them to spend all day by the phone waiting for the most hideous people to call them.” Dennis Miller

Modeling is cut throat at every level. Even if you are stunning it takes more than good looks to be a model. It takes guts! And a great agent! You will face constant rejection, enormous pressure and lots of middle aged men baring expensive gifts, money, VIP parties, and drugs just because…well because they want to sleep with you. Everybody wants to sleep with models, how you deal with that is what makes you a model.

Most people criticize modeling. They say you shouldn’t have to pay “anything” and that’s bull because I’m not going work for free. You will not get my expertise, my management, my contacts, sincere review of your photographs, training or marketing for free. Or they criticize modeling by saying it’s superficial and that causes people to obsess over physical beauty.

Well, you know what, I was just at the mall this week passing by the food court and I don’t think
Americans are obsessing enough. Visit and watch carefully at the unending parade of ugly, eating greasy cheeseburgers, or slices of Sbarro pizza with extra cheese, extra mayonnaise, extra grease and extra blue cheese and of course extra ranch dressing for the biggie sized French fries.

Nowadays fueled by thousands of wannabes, we as modeling agents have now assumed a defensive position. Inundated with frenzied request and endless naked photographs, we are in the catbird seat and can dictate whom we’ll see.

"90% of the photography on line are creative digitally enhanced images of which 100% gets the model near naked and only noticed by other photographers.
The TOPOP photography shoot is 1/6 of what we do, of which 100% gets the models foot in the door at a casting, audition, open call or go see."   

Compounded by the fact that everybody who can’t be a model is drastically attempting to call themselves one; so don’t get upset if you have to pay for the TOPOP program.

There’s no way you are a model and you’ve never paid a professional photographer for a shoot; other than you’re thong shoot for Da’-A.T.L.
Never been published in any magazine, not one cover; though you keep doing TFP’s and you’re nearly thirty.
There’s absolutely no way you’re a model, if you are fat! If you’ve never sacrificed a twinke, not one candy bar gets by you, if you’ve never even thought about working out.
There’s no way you’re a model at 5’2 160 pounds, can’t be on time for a meeting, don’t return emails or can’t roll your fat behind out of bed to turn the alarm clock off.

You’re not a model when you wake up hung-over, hungry and tried all at the same time; you simply “look good for your age”, besides you’ve got a kid. If you’ve been “rocking & rolling” since you were 13 and the “Producer” wants to have a “party” with you; after you tell everybody you do meth with how unprofessional he was, realize you’re not any better.

There’s no way you’re a model who drops out of high school, and has a child; besides “your family will always come first”, well this is my family and I’m letting you know stop calling me!

Take down your model mayhem, and my-space page use your real name, listen to somebody…

Models workout everyday, they do all the hard stuff, like watch what they eat, pay their photographers by waiting tables and models listen to their agents when we beg you to have protected sex. No Babies!

No excuses!

Each agency specializes in a certain style. Familiarize yourself with various models that the agency represents. Read everything you can before contacting them, use complete sentences, and if they charged something, find out why and for what.

Small agencies are able to push the model a bit more but may not have the bigger clients; study your market. Often the youngsters sink or swim due to the mentoring relationship of their agents.
Agencies have a vested interest in you; you will be making the fees that keep the agency afloat. Today, if you don’t have an agency behind you, you’re almost sure to get lost in the hordes.

Ask questions, what will you get from the photographers pictures, besides more pictures? What contracts do you have to sign? Why do most photographers only want to do bikini and swimsuit pictures? Ask these so-called ‘managers’ the difference between a manager and an agent?
What happens after the “Mega-shoot”?

No one in this business has ever said that the Modeling Business is easy. The work when you can get it is fun; the behind the scene what I live for.

Therefore, it will help you to know a little bit about the business aspects of modeling as you start to feel your way into this business as a career.

I am a famous Rock photographer…
Now I’m a trained modeling agent whom created a successful ethnic model management company.
I’ve gotten over 45% of all TOPOP models PAID assignments in print, promotional, commercials, and music videos; I can prove it and everybody knows it.

TOPOP models get modeling jobs; they meet the bands, Rap and Hip Hop celebrities, go backstage to coveted concerts, get tons of free gifts, trips, and enjoy calling themselves TOPOP models.

Once a TOPOP model Always a TOPOP model!
You must determine whether you will follow my direction, period. Do what I say when I say, be my product, be a dependable, professional, working model.

ROMANS 8:28

Do You Believe?

Nelson Jones’   TOPOP

May 18 07 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Sluggo?

Fridays must be special here.

May 18 07 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sluggo.

So I took a look at his profile, and at his portfolio.  Suspicions confirmed.  We have a serious Sluggo on our hands.

May 18 07 08:18 pm Link

Model

Gennavive Leigh

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

I agree it all makes sense...sounds like you had a hard day:(

But I agree with you!

May 18 07 08:20 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

WHat is sluggo?

Photographer

john knight

Gainesville, Florida, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Sluggo.

So I took a look at his profile, and at his portfolio.  Suspicions confirmed.  We have a serious Sluggo on our hands.

Agreed

Model

Gennavive Leigh

Lestari wrote:
WHat is sluggo?

I'm with you....what is it?? I feel dumb...

May 18 07 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

May 18 07 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

The Divine Emily Fine

Owings Mills, Maryland, US

Sluggo - He's medium-pimpin'.

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Ummm... yeah.... Not really.

Model

Tiara Lestari

TXPhotog wrote:
http://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=4956

Thanks Roger!

May 18 07 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

No, wait. It's sluggo spam! I get it. Sluggo under the the spam radar.

May 18 07 08:25 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

I want to apologise in advance if I sound mean but...

Was there a point to this other than to insult overweight people & criticize the "ugly" people at the mall food court eating greasy food?

And the fact that this is really not the forum to advertise your business - you may as well hold up a big sign that says "Invest your $ in us!"

I'm just wondering...

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I notice his profile even helpfully includes a link to his OMP page, with, no suprise, seven "managed" models.

Model

Gennavive Leigh

TXPhotog wrote:
http://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=4956

Why thank you!

May 18 07 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Goldie117 wrote:
I want to apologise in advance if I sound mean but...

Was there a point to this other than to insult overweight people & criticize the "ugly" people at the mall food court eating greasy food?

And the fact that this is really not the forum to advertise your business - you may as well hold up a big sign that says "Invest your $ in us!"

I'm just wondering...

Not to worry, Goldie.  If there is still a mod in the building, he won't be with us all that long.

May 18 07 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Figure Photo

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I've never heard of you.

Nelson Jones  TOPOP wrote:
I am a famous Rock photographer…

May 18 07 08:27 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Not to worry, Goldie.  If there is still a mod in the building, he won't be with us all that long.

Thank god! I'm kinda embaressed to say I actually responded to one of his casting calls a while back...But once I read his profile & saw his site, I RAN lol!

May 18 07 08:30 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Figure Photo SF wrote:
I've never heard of you.

There's probably a reason u haven't heard of him smile

May 18 07 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Raquel Gonzalez

Newark, New Jersey, US

Figure Photo SF wrote:
I've never heard of you.

No kidding... but it's probably because YOU don't believe.

May 18 07 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

R Guenther

Chicago, Illinois, US

*raises hand*

I'm here.

big_smile

May 18 07 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Figure Photo SF wrote:
I've never heard of you.

dude, he's famous!

Evan

May 18 07 08:32 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

For someone who's so world famous, he doesn't even have a website.

I found this also...

http://www.soopermodels.com/Scouts/Phot … apherID=13

Google is great.

May 18 07 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

I love that his ID=13

Did you notice that the models photos in the ad and his portfolio pictures in the profile aren't the same style? The models photos may be stolen.

May 18 07 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

john knight

Gainesville, Florida, US

Fifi-Alexis wrote:
For someone who's so world famous, he doesn't even have a website.

I found this also...

http://www.soopermodels.com/Scouts/Phot … apherID=13

Google is great.

google is great Fifi....

http://www.dancerdolls.com/website/toppop.htm

May 18 07 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Fifi-Alexis wrote:
Google is great.

Google akbar?

May 18 07 08:40 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Google akbar?

lol.

May 18 07 08:42 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

john knight wrote:

google is great Fifi....

http://www.dancerdolls.com/website/toppop.htm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

May 18 07 08:43 pm Link

Model

Jenna Gianni

Are we allowed to tell be people to fuck off?

May 18 07 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Jenna Gianni wrote:

As long as it's not in the freaking title with the word idiot - it's OK.
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=147484

Just realize I've been doing this wrong. I need to shoot strippers to become a famous ROCK photographer. Rats, I never learn these things until it's too late.

May 18 07 08:47 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Jenna Gianni wrote:

maybe just this once.  smile

May 18 07 08:48 pm Link

Model

Seregon ODassey

New York, New York, US

Take some time off from being a jerk...oops I meant "famous" and read a book.
...you're thong shoot should read your thong shoot...you're is a contraction for you are.

,,You’re not a model when you wake up hung-over, hungry and tried all at the same time; ..

...and tried should read tired.

May 18 07 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

The Divine Emily Fine

Owings Mills, Maryland, US

Can I has autograph?

May 18 07 08:51 pm Link

Model

Seregon ODassey

New York, New York, US

Mikel,that is the cutest puppy...or should I say the best model on here!

May 18 07 08:53 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Nelson Jones  TOPOP wrote:
Ask questions, what will you get from the photographers pictures, besides more pictures? What contracts do you have to sign? Why do most photographers only want to do bikini and swimsuit pictures? Ask these so-called ‘managers’ the difference between a manager and an agent?
What happens after the “Mega-shoot”?

And from the profile:

https://img7.modelmayhem.com/070414/16/46213ed1a4cbb.jpg

Hmmm...

May 18 07 08:56 pm Link

Model

Sexiest Carly

Los Angeles, California, US

holy cow. ok.

this started out funny. I mean- i totally get where he's coming from.

the the whole "i've never heard of you"

and the whole"dancerdolls"

Just wow.... ROFL over here!

and then "sluggo". i'm cryin! big_smile

May 18 07 08:56 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Holden wrote:

And from the profile:

https://img7.modelmayhem.com/070414/16/46213ed1a4cbb.jpg

Hmmm...

She looks pretty scary....

May 18 07 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Holden wrote:

And from the profile:

Hmmm...

Hey, he worked darn hard to get her to drop trow. Don't knock it.

May 18 07 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

When I grow up, I want to be a world famous rock and roll photographer, that shoots strippers, with empty icecream cones. Anybody have any tips for me?

Model

Tiara Lestari

That girl can kick my ass. yikes

ouch