Forums > General Industry > Portfolio sizes

Photographer

awad

ABERNANT, Alabama, US

can anyone give me recommendations for 11x14 inkjet paper? i cant seem to find any.

Jun 13 07 03:02 am Link

Photographer

awad

ABERNANT, Alabama, US

whoops.

Jun 13 07 03:02 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

it is pretty insane that "photo" paper comes in 11x17 rather than 11x14, but that's what we're stuck with for most flavors.  buy a trimmer.

Jun 13 07 08:17 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Christopher Bush wrote:
it is pretty insane that "photo" paper comes in 11x17 rather than 11x14, but that's what we're stuck with for most flavors.  buy a trimmer.

Yeah, and getting 9x12 paper is out of the question...have to print on 10x13 and trim those too. Kinda sucks.

Jun 13 07 08:22 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

ward wrote:
Yeah, and getting 9x12 paper is out of the question...have to print on 10x13 and trim those too. Kinda sucks.

print two 9x12s on easy to get 13x19 paper

Jun 13 07 08:26 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Christopher Bush wrote:

print two 9x12s on easy to get 13x19 paper

I don't print my own work. Lab does. I would if they did. smile

Jun 13 07 08:30 am Link

Photographer

awad

ABERNANT, Alabama, US

shucks. I was hoping to not have to trim any. ah well.

also, is full bleed preferred, or should I put a border on the images?

Jun 13 07 12:41 pm Link

Retoucher

Elite Touch Studio

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Where do you typically get your pictures printed out at? And what prices do you guys pay? (for a modeling portfolio)

Jun 18 07 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Johnson Photograph

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

This is a great thread, its very cool to see the many different ways people work their folios.

I have a weird size I designed myself, almost square, 12 x 11 3/4. Everything gets laminated and put into a case. Its very easy to shuffle the shots around and its very easy for the client to just pick up an image they like and hold it up or to lay out a series side by side.

For fashion I agree with the other photographers that said it is very important that you can shoot a story. I got my first editorial after the fashion editor asked me if I could bring her a new colour fashion the NEXT WEEK!

It was just a double check I think to make sure I could do the work and make a story in a day:~)) I did two major editorials for that magazine.

I find a good gloss laminate really enhances the image too, a bit like putting it under glass.

Jun 18 07 08:30 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Jun 25 07 11:56 am Link

Photographer

joao carlos

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

This is a verry helpfull thread,,I just have one last question....ok the print size most recomended is 9x12 but what about Tear-sheets and cd-covers,, should I print the original pics  ? or the final versions cut out of the magazines ??
thanks all
got milkman??
one more thing ,what about Editorials (storys) how many images ..I normaly shoot 8 -10 pg...but should I show all of the story...????

Jul 04 07 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

joao carlos

bump...

Jul 04 07 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

joao carlos

bump.......help:)

Jul 05 07 05:18 am Link

Photographer

joao carlos

bump ,,,,help help;)

Jul 05 07 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

joao carlos aka Milkman

its me ..still wanting an answer...
thaknx
milkman

Jul 10 07 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

milkman studio wrote:
This is a verry helpfull thread,,I just have one last question....ok the print size most recomended is 9x12...

I think you'll find that the most recommended size for fashion and commercial photographers is 11x14.

Jul 10 07 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brian

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

took me a while searching on google to find this thread, but finally did.. some good links in it.

Sep 06 07 09:38 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brian Diaz wrote:

I think you'll find that the most recommended size for fashion and commercial photographers is 11x14.

Correct. Most models, makeup/hair and stylists prints are 9x12 borderless.

Sep 06 07 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Sedivec-Ealy

Iowa City, Iowa, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
Mine is a simple leather book with 8x10 prints, but now you've got me rethinking that.

That advice was amazing first of all but I too have an 8x10 book because when I did alot of re-search and calling that is what most of the editors said was the norm...

Sep 06 07 09:47 am Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

K I'm bumbing this...my book is 30 cm x 40 cm  which is 11.8 x 15.7

anyone else got a book in cm not inches?

Nov 14 07 02:21 pm Link

Nov 20 07 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

KWC Photo

Ozark, Arkansas, US

Very Very Helpful and Useful information.  smile

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.  smile

Nov 21 07 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Davis Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I was just curious as to what size prints others are using for their portfolios.  Also, what is your stance on horizontal photos?

There is no standard size for photographers.  I've seen books from 5x7 to 13x19.  Bigger is usually more impressive.

Horizontals work if you have a decent book that binds them so there's not a huge gap in between.

Nov 21 07 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Dan Hood  mm/moderator wrote:
As far as photographers portfolios "books"

Let me explain a bit further.

I have seen cowskin books with the fur still on the portfolio, I have seen laminated prints in a box of various sizes, I have seen 14" by 14" books that prints go in either way. In other words photographers are considered to be creative professionals, so there is much more leeway in our books.

When one goes outside the norm it MUST be one cool book. You will be judged on your book, your cover, your presentation, everything.

That's why there are so many custom portfolio makers. The thing is I would stick to a basic portfolio until you have a clear marketing strategy and have identified your target audience. Some of those books can run many hundreds of dollars. My wooden portfolio that has my interior photographs cost over $300.00 but I researched my market well before I decided to go that way. My fashion/beauty book is Plexiglas and my people illustration book is leather. It depends on what you want, just know your market before plunking down large sums of cash.

Granted I am coming at this and giving advice from a advertising photographers perspective and aiming it at photographers who intend on hitting ad agencies, art directors, magazines, creative directors ect.

If you are going to market to say the general pubic and do weddings and portraits then this in may or may not be valid info for you. Just as my advice to models is intended for models who want to work within the agency system.

After looking at what I typed I better add a few things.

I don't mean to imply that for photographers this is the only way to go. There are lots of avenues to use. Also remember my advice above is geared mainly to those who shoot people as other types of photography have their own types of portfolios. Back in the 90's and up to today I shoot a lot of interiors and most architectural/interior photographers don�t use a bound book type of portfolio at all.

What a lot of architectural photographers (myself included) used (and still use)is mounted transparencies. Or we would use 16" by 20" mounted prints in a case.

Since almost all architectural photographers use 4" by 5" cameras, showing the original transparency�s (slide) is common. We mount them in black mounts with a plastic sleeve. In this shot I have 35mm, 6x9 (21/4) and 4x5 images in the mounts and would carry in a light box to the client to show the work. Clients loved this as they got to see exactly what you shot in camera. No Photoshop or print manipulations possible. Most advertising photographer went this rout too. Digital is changing a lot of stuff but this is still a common way to do it.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/odd%20stuff/DSCF6825.jpg

Another way some of us would do it would be to mount 16"by 20" prints onto very thin gatorboard and laminate the print. This was the best for presenting to a group and allowed clients to really see the quality of your work including how well you handle small details.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/odd%20stuff/DSCF6837.jpg

I only mention these types of portfolios as their are many variations on how to present ones craft and not just a bound book type. Currently I use a wooden bound book from Lost Luggage for my interiors now as I shoot some interiors digitally so I show prints. In fact I use all 11" by 14" print books for all the types of work I do. I prefer that size as I still shoot a lot of large and medium format film and the smaller mini books don�t really show the detail in my work. But that�s what I found my market prefers. Other photographers in other markets will do things differently.

I guess what I'm getting at is as creative professionals we have lots of options for portfolios and there are few hard and fast rules for photographers. Since models have an industry standard they are under a bit more restraint in their presentation.

The only hard and fast absolutes for photographers is make every shot supper solid, you are only as good as your worst shot, edit ruthlessly. And most importantly, All killer no filler.

well worth the read, thank you Dan and Brian for this thread, the last sentence sounds so familiar to me

Nov 21 07 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

There's no standard rules for photography portfolios, though the norm is 11X14inches. For models the norm in the states is 9x12inches. In Europe the sizes could vary from agency to agency. I'd seen models from Elite Milan at castings up to a year ago who had very tiny portfolios. They almost looked like yearly planners.

Nov 22 07 04:51 am Link

Model

Stasya

Chandler, Arizona, US

Sharene P wrote:
Where do you typically get your pictures printed out at? And what prices do you guys pay? (for a modeling portfolio)

www.whcc.com

They are awesome!!!  You have to setup an account, but they are a full service printing company.  They ship all orders via UPS 2-day at no charge.  Their 9x12's (which I find are very difficult to have printed anywhere) are $3.40, 8x10's are $2.00 -- and again, this INCLUDES shipping!  They can also do touch ups if you want, although I've never used them for this service.  I love them!

Frank Petronio wrote:
Just buy a real book:

http://www.lulu.com/content/601386

$14.73

I STRONGLY advise against printing at Lulu.  Their quality is TERRIBLE!  I was recently in a book and the photographer wanted to use Lulu because they print in hardcover.  Well, they contacted him to let him know they were unable to print (after they told him they were) due to the content (there were nudes, but nothing explicit -- think Ellen Von Unwerth).  They ended up printing one anyways and sent it to him and he is glad they weren't able to carry his book.  If you want a self published book, try www.blurb.com but I've even heard they are somewhat strict.  Again, I love WHCC and they do print books (and posters, wallets, etc.).

Perfect thread -- couldn't agree more for a modeling portfolio as I just built mine:

9x12 book and images
glossy print
ONLY your best images -- one from each set (no need to duplicate) so your book doesn't get watered down.
Best images up front (I've also tried to group mine as I do everything from fashion to erotic nudes)

Nov 26 07 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Antonio-Angelo

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

9x12 is a standard model portfolio..

landscape (horizontal) images should be two pages wide so the book shouldn't have to be turned on its side to be viewed, or you could put 9" wide images on one page

Dec 19 07 03:31 am Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

Great info in this thread.

Does anyone know of any websites, besides Adorama, where I can have 9X12 pictures printed?

Jan 28 08 09:44 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Rania wrote:
Great info in this thread.

Does anyone know of any websites, besides Adorama, where I can have 9X12 pictures printed?

You might want to ask that question in the photography section.

I will try to find some threads later on.

This thread might have some info.

The list of / for comp cards / zed cards
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=75200

Jan 28 08 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tanya Sockol

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Okay - I have a stupid question now smile

You have the book - now what you put inside of it is equally important (and by this I don't mean the images themselves, we all know that's the point of the book!!) - I mean the way that the images themselves are placed inside of the book.

There seems to be four hundred different types of sleeves; can anyone give advice on what I should be looking for in regards to the mounting of each photo?

Jan 30 08 12:55 am Link

Photographer

jonaswahlin

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

wow great thread..  good said Dan!

Apr 10 08 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

KXphotography

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Well if I put borders on my horizontal images because I don't want them to completely fill up two pages since I feel they will be huge compare to my vertical images. Will that be a "no no" since my vertical images don't have borders?

May 04 08 11:26 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

May 30 08 07:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lucy Gibson

London, England, United Kingdom

Very interesting thread everyone!

I'm about to launch into the world of freelance Makeup Artistry and am ordering my first portfolio, I'm wondering how important you think it is to have my name embossed on the front?!

Sounds a silly question I know, but it's a difference of £120!  Of course I'm willing to spend this and more on my book, but is it vital at this stage in my career seeing as leaving my job will require saving the pennies as much as possible at first?

I don't plan to send my book out at the moment, but only to take it on go-sees with comp cards to leave behind of course.

Any thoughts?  I'm flummoxed.

Jun 02 08 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I was afraid to respond to this because of the old threads rule tongue

Jun 03 08 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lloyd Rosen

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I was just curious as to what size prints others are using for their portfolios.  Also, what is your stance on horizontal photos?

Well if it helps at all, the standard is technically 9x12.....but, I and a lot of people I know use 11x14 becuase you can get amazing prints at Costco for $3 each....and I get tons of work and have had no problems with this size..........just a thought. And I print horizontal prints too,............rules schmools....

Jun 03 08 05:18 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Lucy Elena wrote:
Very interesting thread everyone!

I'm about to launch into the world of freelance Makeup Artistry and am ordering my first portfolio, I'm wondering how important you think it is to have my name embossed on the front?!

Sounds a silly question I know, but it's a difference of £120!  Of course I'm willing to spend this and more on my book, but is it vital at this stage in my career seeing as leaving my job will require saving the pennies as much as possible at first?

I don't plan to send my book out at the moment, but only to take it on go-sees with comp cards to leave behind of course.

Any thoughts?  I'm flummoxed.

In this day and age,
I feel less so.

Jul 06 08 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Sarah Jehan

San Francisco, California, US

TSHarrington  wrote:
Okay - I have a stupid question now smile

You have the book - now what you put inside of it is equally important (and by this I don't mean the images themselves, we all know that's the point of the book!!) - I mean the way that the images themselves are placed inside of the book.

There seems to be four hundred different types of sleeves; can anyone give advice on what I should be looking for in regards to the mounting of each photo?

No one answered this poor guy's question, and that's sad because I had the same one!

I am from California, but am currently here in Egypt where it has been really hard to find a ready-made portfolio. However, I did find a good quality leather binding shop that told be they could make me a photography portfolio out of real leather (probably for much, around 200 egyptian pounds or less, meaning a little less than $40). The trouble is that they aren't aware of a photography portfolio requirements and I am not sure how to instruct them. So this is what I gather from this post, and here are my questions.

-the portfolio should be 11 by 14. Does this mean the photos are exactly 11 by 14 so the portfolio should be a little bigger? How much bigger?
-I think I am going to go for a black leather one
-About 20-25 pages, does that sound right? is it important to have the pages be removable?
-Should the pages be slips, or can they just be paper pages(you know,like a scarpbook!), and if it can be paper, then what color?
-How important is it to have your name on the cover, and if it isn't on the cover, where does it go?

I know this is an old thread, but after reading it, I felt like I still had a few questions. Thanks in advance guys.

Aug 13 08 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Aysha Remeithi

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Lara Hamdan wrote:
-the portfolio should be 11 by 14. Does this mean the photos are exactly 11 by 14 so the portfolio should be a little bigger? How much bigger?
-I think I am going to go for a black leather one
-About 20-25 pages, does that sound right? is it important to have the pages be removable?
-Should the pages be slips, or can they just be paper pages(you know,like a scarpbook!), and if it can be paper, then what color?
-How important is it to have your name on the cover, and if it isn't on the cover, where does it go?
I know this is an old thread, but after reading it, I felt like I still had a few questions. Thanks in advance guys.

Hey Lara!

I was just reading your question on MM about the portfolio sizes and such, I hope I am not late, I wanted to give you some informations about portfolio sizes and prints etc.

I have recently received my A4 Machina by Pina Zangaro
www.pinazangaro.com/portfoliobooks.html
The book looks fancy, all Aluminum and all that, the only problem I am having is it's the wrong size for my prints, it fits them perfectly yes but then I don't like my pictures sticked too close to the edges of the sheets jacket.. so something I learned from there.. it is better to stick to the standard size of models/photographers books which is 9x12, prints should be A4 sizes, there will be space in the jackets but this is better look as the black refill papers will give your picture a frame, here is some example pictures I've taken of my A4 Machina Portfolio and my agency portfolio book which I prefer the size 9x12 of it.

https://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r207/expressively/myworks/portfolio-samples.jpg

I haven't tried the 11x14 yet but I am ordering some for a friend from Jerry's Artarama (http://www.jerrysartarama.com) they carry a lot of portfolio books that comes with padded cover and so on, this is one of my favorites, I have ordered one in Pink smile

https://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r207/expressively/myworks/prat-pampa.jpg

Also here is one that is really worth getting, its cheap and has a vertical pocket which will be good to hold a CD or business cards or comp cards to it.
www.dickblick.com/zz152/24/

All this didn't answer your questions yet lol but wait I am getting there now:

1) the portfolio should be 11 by 14. Does this mean the photos are exactly 11 by 14 so the portfolio should be a little bigger? How much bigger?

.. The standard sizes of the portfolios (the ones agencies uses for models and photographers) is 9 by 12. But it is a matter of taste if you want your portfolio larger, but believe me 9x12 is already large, think of the bag you'd carry it in. As for the photo sizes, a standard A4 is better, remember high quality prints cost a lot, so if you print big you pay more as well, stick to the standard to be on the safe side. (A4 is 8.3 × 11.7)

2) I think I am going to go for a black leather one

.. Black is very classic and professional. Good choice smile

3) About 20-25 pages, does that sound right? is it important to have the pages be removable?

.. 25 pages are more than enough, remember to only show your best works. It is a personal choice if you wish to have them sealed or removable (refills) .. in my opinion I like to have them sealed to the book as it will lay flat and more easy to look browse through.

4) Should the pages be slips, or can they just be paper pages(you know,like a scrapbook!), and if it can be paper, then what color?

..The pages must be top slips, this way it protects your pictures and also use acid free, photo safe black paper inserts, it is what everyone uses for their portfolio books. (they also use white inserts, but it depends on your taste)

5) How important is it to have your name on the cover, and if it isn't on the cover, where does it go?

.. In my opinion, I will only make a custom made portfolio book just to put my name on it, if you think it is not important, then it is better to buy those ready made ones, it will save you a lot of money and time smile

I hope this answered all your questions.

- Aysha

Sep 01 08 05:40 am Link

Photographer

KCEPHOTO

Detroit, Michigan, US

[url="http.com//www.nps.gov/piro/"[/url]

Sep 10 08 02:13 pm Link