Forums > Model Colloquy > Info for models about real corsets

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

M.hana wrote:

I strongly disagree with your assessment.

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, but you have to show me somewhere that says why it would strengthen your stomach muscles, or you could give me decent explanation then maybe I'd by it.
When you walk, the muscles in your stomach act as a buffer, when compressed as they are they will not contract normally when you walk, which is what strengthens it.
And if you are saying that squeezing your stomach tight is what strengthens your muscles, that would defy the logic of how muscles are strengthened.

Apr 16 08 09:28 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Nikki A wrote:
I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, but you have to show me somewhere that says why it would strengthen your stomach muscles, or you could give me decent explanation then maybe I'd by it.
When you walk, the muscles in your stomach act as a buffer, when compressed as they are they will not contract normally when you walk, which is what strengthens it.
And if you are saying that squeezing your stomach tight is what strengthens your muscles, that would defy the logic of how muscles are strengthened.

When you put on a corset or tightening mechanism,
Your body will often have to do isometrics to compensate for the change.
For many they are essentially pushing out with their muscles if they are out of shape,
When you use a corset you are telling the body to pull in.
This is not always a passive occurrence.

I know of people that use corsets as a way to easily do exercises throughout the day.
I also know of people that use this technique for other parts of the body,
mostly women in the use of this process in other body areas.

Doing isometrics is a way to exercise and it does not defy logic.

Apr 16 08 09:39 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

M.hana wrote:

When you put on a corset or tightening mechanism,
Your body will often have to do isometrics to compensate for the change.
For many they are essentially pushing out with their muscles if they are out of shape,
When you use a corset you are telling the body to pull in.
This is not always a passive occurrence.

I know of people that use corsets as a way to easily do exercises throughout the day.
I also know of people that use this technique for other parts of the body,
mostly women in the use of this process in other body areas.

So, this only works if you are out of shape?
Do you have any articles or something supporting this?
I'm still skeptical, but with more info i'll admit when I'm wrong

Apr 16 08 09:41 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Nikki A wrote:
So, this only works if you are out of shape?
Do you have any articles or something supporting this?
I'm still skeptical, but with more info i'll admit when I'm wrong

Research isometrics.
http://www.google.com/search?q=isometri … US216US216

The concept works for all.
The out of shape case just illustrates the concept easier.

Apr 16 08 09:48 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

M.hana wrote:

Research isometrics.
http://www.google.com/search?q=isometri … US216US216

The concept works for all.
The out of shape case just illustrates the concept easier.

Since you posted that, the first thing I did was look up info.  When it comes to corsets, I'm reading:
"they increase intra-abdominal pressure. Raised intra-abdominal pressure is believed to reduce compression forces on the spinal column and to assist the back extensor muscles in producing extension torque."
So, wouldn't that be for the back and not the stomach?

Apr 16 08 09:58 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

What I read from a fitness trainer:
"I own a health and nutrition business and have taught fitness. A corset doesn't help to build any type of muscle. It does just the opposite. I holds in the muscles and offers a false support so the muscles don't have to work as hard to support your core, so you end up getting flabbier in your stomach."

Apr 16 08 10:08 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

still doesn't make sense to me and I have a lot of corset makers telling me they don't build muscle

Apr 17 08 07:01 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Nikki A wrote:
still doesn't make sense to me and I have a lot of corset makers telling me they don't build muscle

It doesn't make sense to me either.  I don't think you'd be doing isometrics against the corset involuntarily. I'm not an physiologist, though. Maybe I should ask one.

Apr 17 08 07:04 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

theda wrote:

It doesn't make sense to me either.  I don't think you'd be doing isometrics against the corset involuntarily. I'm not an physiologist, though. Maybe I should ask one.

I've been doing some research, including asking corset makers/wearers and it doesn't seem to be true.
It helps with back pain, but it doesn't build muscle as far as I have read

Apr 17 08 07:05 pm Link

Clothing Designer

SINched

Needville, Texas, US

Dark Angel Photography wrote:

Fakir from india reduced his waist to I think it was 13 or 14 inches...?...

I just got around to re-reading this...

He is from S. Dakota, not India.

http://www.fakir.org/aboutfakir/index.html

Apr 17 08 09:20 pm Link

Clothing Designer

SINched

Needville, Texas, US

On the topic of strengthening vs. weakening stomach muscles...

Constant wearing (23/7) will cause some muscle weakening. Most serious corset trainees will suggest to do some form of exercise to help strengthen the core muscles since wearing a corset that much will make them lazy.

Usually exercise is done in the hour or so that the corset is off when the trainee is bathing and changing.

The only "permanent" waist reduction is when the corset is worn all the time. Once you stop wearing the corset, your waist will return to its natural state. Even trained ribs will gradually expand over time without a corset.

Apr 17 08 09:26 pm Link

Model

Stella K

New York, New York, US

Just bought my first real corset from trashydiva.com thanks to awesome ladies in this thread smile

Apr 18 08 12:14 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Stella K wrote:
Just bought my first real corset from trashydiva.com thanks to awesome ladies in this thread smile

Awesome!!!
I loved their customer service.
I bought an off-the-rack from them when I was in NOLA, came home, laced it up, and the seams started tearing. Those ladies there were sooo nice and they did everything possible to make sure I was satisfied.  they let me keep the broke one (which is still wearable) and I got the red and black striped one (in my port) for free and it was valued at more than the one I bought!
Awesome ladies there.
I hope you enjoy your corset! Don't lace it too tight too fast big_smile

Apr 18 08 03:53 pm Link

Model

Stella K

New York, New York, US

Nevermind. They said they don't have the one I ordered in stock.

sad sad sad

Apr 18 08 04:37 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Stella K wrote:
Nevermind. They said they don't have the one I ordered in stock.

sad sad sad

Oh, that's a shame hmm

Apr 18 08 04:38 pm Link

Model

MsKate

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Stella K wrote:

just checked them out since I am looking for an overbust corset. But I don't think I am willing to spend that much on one yet. I seen one on ebay the other day for $150 but again I'm not sure because it doesn't have busk in it yet it still has steel boning. My underbust cost me around $150 including shipping from Timeless Trends Corsets.

Apr 18 08 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Real corsets, such as the ones here:
http://darkgarden.com/corsets_women.asp

https://www.mccullagh.org/db9/1ds-15/black-corset-detail.jpg

Have 2 laces, one for the bust and one for the waist. You must lace your bust and waist individually or your will hurt yourself.

Apr 18 08 04:54 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Star wrote:

Have 2 laces, one for the bust and one for the waist. You must lace your bust and waist individually or your will hurt yourself.

Usually it's just one long lace with loops to be pulled at the waist. 
http://www.waspcreations.com/howtol.htm

Apr 18 08 06:20 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

theda wrote:

Usually it's just one long lace with loops to be pulled at the waist. 

^ that is how all of mine are laced

Apr 18 08 06:27 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

LuxxxNoir wrote:
My personal favorite  is my isabella custom... it does not even feel like I am wearing it...

That's the idea.  I start around $399

Apr 18 08 08:05 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Nikki A wrote:
And, Cathy Jung, the living world record for the tightlacing has reduced her waist down to 15inches, more than 6 inches and her husband is a doctor and he took X-rays with her wearing the corset to show there is no damage

Clearly medically possible, but at that point it gets visually grotesque and disturbing to observe.

Apr 18 08 08:09 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Dave the design student wrote:

Clearly medically possible, but at that point it gets visually grotesque and disturbing to observe.

but that's what makes it great!

Apr 18 08 08:23 pm Link

Model

Stella K

New York, New York, US

So I'm looking for a black underbust corset, preferably satin but no fancy fabric or pattern, don't want garter belts, and a proper corset of course. TrashyDiva says they're out of 'em and Starkers don't seem to have it and Isabella's ready-to-wear section is not working on their website. I'm willing to spend $200, shipping included (TrashyDiva's was $165.) Anybody wanna point me to the right direction?

Apr 18 08 09:51 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Stella K wrote:
So I'm looking for a black underbust corset, preferably satin but no fancy fabric or pattern, don't want garter belts, and a proper corset of course. TrashyDiva says they're out of 'em and Starkers don't seem to have it and Isabella's ready-to-wear section is not working on their website. I'm willing to spend $200, shipping included (TrashyDiva's was $165.) Anybody wanna point me to the right direction?

Vollers may have something.  Also check Versatile Fashions. They have sales on pre made items all the time.  You may also want to hit Purple Passion in Chelsea.  Their selection is erratic, but it could be worth a look if it saves you shipping and allows you to try on the corset and check its quality first.

Apr 18 08 10:45 pm Link

Model

Stella K

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
You may also want to hit Purple Passion in Chelsea.  Their selection is erratic, but it could be worth a look if it saves you shipping and allows you to try on the corset and check its quality first.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do! Thanks smile

Apr 19 08 01:20 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Dave the design student wrote:

Wearing a corset that small is grotesque?
In the pictures in my port that I am wearing the red and black corset, my waist was 18 inches, only 3 inches away from Cathy Jung.....was I disturbing to observe?

Apr 19 08 01:46 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Stella K wrote:

That's exactly what I'm gonna do! Thanks smile

You should go this month while the pre-remodeling sale is still going on.  Everything is marked down until the end of April.

Apr 19 08 05:43 pm Link

Model

Stella K

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:

You should go this month while the pre-remodeling sale is still going on.  Everything is marked down until the end of April.

I'm going next week! Mucho gracias smile

Apr 19 08 07:27 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

Star wrote:

No. A single lace looped at the waist or two separate laces that join at the waist is fine.

You will not hurt yourself with a corset laced from top to bottom or bottom to top but it is more conveniant and more comfortable to be laced to tighten at the waist.

Apr 21 08 09:35 am Link

Model

Vasilisa

London, Arkansas, US

Also, quick tips for first time wearers:

-Do NOT drink anything fizzy when wearing a corset, you'll regret it.
- If you're going out all night in one, try packing some rennies with you since there's a reasonably high chance you'll get heartburn if you're lacing and drinking and dancing all at once
-Put your shoes on before your corset

Apr 21 08 10:59 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Vasilisa wrote:

- If you're going out all night in one, try packing some rennies with you since there's a reasonably high chance you'll get heartburn if you're lacing and drinking and dancing all at once

Lol. the last one is a must! i'll add these. Thanks

Apr 21 08 11:02 am Link

Model

B Debauchery

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Vasilisa wrote:

ha! yeah i have learned these the hard way.

also recently i learned from experience is that if you're bloated, wearing a tightly laced corset can make you feel wicked uncomfortable and at times sick.

Apr 21 08 01:08 pm Link

Model

Vasilisa

London, Arkansas, US

B Debauchery wrote:

ha! yeah i have learned these the hard way.

also recently i learned from experience is that if you're bloated, wearing a tightly laced corset can make you feel wicked uncomfortable and at times sick.

Yep...and eating a 5 course meal and tightlacing for 5 hours after isn't a good idea either!

Apr 21 08 02:00 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Nikki A wrote:
I'm in the process of putting together the info that I type out a million times a month about corsets, so here is some of the info I collected.
This is about REAL corsets.
Any questions are welcome, I'm always willing to answer.
-
This is a compilation of info of REAL corsets.  This will include my experience and what I've read up upon.
-This is a good article describing the difference between a real corset and "corset" styled tops:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Your_Cors … ssage/3707
-Also, if you read TheStitchWitch’s comment here
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 6912&page=
You can definitely see what they are talking about
-Real corsets have steel bones and can usually reduce a waist at least 4 inches.
-The first time you wear a corset, the average reduction you can expect (though it is different depending on each individual) is 2-4 inches.  Often when ordering your first corset, you want to order one 4 inches smaller than your natural waist (measured at the smallest part of your waist).
-Tightlacing is often considered reducing your waist 6 or more inches.
-Corsetry is the one area of business that you usually get what you pay for. Good corsets cost a lot of money, usually a couple hundred, depending on the type and whether it is custom or not.
-A Custom corset is one made to your specific measurements (some only use a small handful of measurements, others use upwards of 20 measurements), otherwise you can order an off-the-rack corset which is often ordered by the size waist you intent to lace down to. 
-If you are tight lacing, it is a MUST to get a custom corset, otherwise you will hurt yourself.
-If you have an abnormal waist/hip/bust measurement, it is best to get a custom corset, again so you don't hurt yourself
-Corseting will not cause you any harm if you do it right.
-Do not lace down too tight too fast. Not only will this hurt you, it WILL damage your corset. Take your time, if it hurts, loosen it!  Tighten it to were it is comfortable, then try lacing down further in 30 minutes if you are comfortable doing so. 
-When wear a corset for the first time, even if you are experienced with lacing corsets tight, taking it easy the first few times. Allow the fabric to warm up to your body before lacing it tight, or you will damage your corset.
-For great info on tight lacing and corset wearing, visit:
http://www.waspcreations.com/faq.htm
http://www.staylace.com/
^Click on the ‘resources’
When done properly, wearing a corset will not hurt you and will not damage your organs
-A real corset that will give a real reduction, will not have a zipper, even if it is steel boned.  Trust me, I've learned from personal mistake here.
-A real corset will have grommets (http://www.thegoosenest.com/images/Grommets-tn.jpg)
and busks (http://www.lovesickcorrectiveapparel.co … 19busk.jpg)
^Thanks Theda for reminding me to put this
-An underbust corset will be easier to wear and hide under clothes, and will be easier to wear over clothes. You can mix up an underbust with many different outfits.  An overbust is more formal looking and can be worn without a top underneath.  It is usually just preference, but if you want something for waist training and a lot of versatility, I would say the underbust is your best bet. 
^Thanks to Vasilisa for reminding me of these last 3

I had an awesome experience with GW Corsetry (I don't believe they have a website, but they used to have an ebay store)
www.trashydiva.com   for off-the-rack corsets
Isabella Customiere I've had wonderful experiences from, their off-the-rack (which was purchased from the above store) has held up better than some of my customs
I've heard nothing but good things about FairyGothMother
Starkers!  (they not only have AWESOME corsets, but the BESt customer service I have ever dealt with)
If anyone wants to leave positive (or negative) feedback about a corset maker, if enough come in, I'll add them to the list
The two places to avoid:
Merchantes (this place has had some good reviews, but a lot of bad reviews)
Creations Lescarpolette  (This one has personally ripped me off out of $450.  More info here: http://community.livejournal.com/corsetry/1507673.html   about the MULTIPLE people she ripped off)

I have a question. What about wasit cinchers? they are not considered corsets, and rarely have steel boning, but I have read reviews that they are good for reduction also, just not as dramatic.

Please forgive me if this information is available throughout the thread, but this is a ot of info to absorb.

Apr 28 08 06:48 am Link

Model

Miss Roxy Valentynne

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

hello fellow corset lovers!

great advice though drinking fizzy drinks dont do me any harm and i can get my waist to 17 inches big_smile but everyones different

xoxoxox

Apr 28 08 07:30 am Link

Model

B Debauchery

so is there a good tutorial some place for relacing a corset? i bought mine from a designer and recently a friend told me while lacing that i should have the ties one grommet higher for ultimate cinching (and prolly comfort)

Apr 28 08 11:41 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Dara_w wrote:
I have a question. What about wasit cinchers? they are not considered corsets, and rarely have steel boning, but I have read reviews that they are good for reduction also, just not as dramatic.

Please forgive me if this information is available throughout the thread, but this is a ot of info to absorb.

The only difference is that a waist cincher is shorter. The same companies that produce steel-boned corsets will usually produce steel boned waist cinchers.  You could easily find the same garment labeled an underbust corset one place and a waist cincher another place.

Apr 28 08 12:43 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

B Debauchery wrote:
so is there a good tutorial some place for relacing a corset? i bought mine from a designer and recently a friend told me while lacing that i should have the ties one grommet higher for ultimate cinching (and prolly comfort)

Here you go. smile

I actually prefer the "incorrect" method they mention as the same friction on the laces they complain about actually makes self-tightening easier since the laces grip each other instead of loosening up between pulls.

Apr 28 08 01:32 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

I don't think I saw this mentioned already...

Never loan your  custom corset to someone else no matter how much they beg. Your corset will conform to your body as you wear it and once you allow it to be on a different body, it may become warped or cause stress in other areas. This will shorten the life of your corset and may cause you discomfort as well.

The other possiblility is that the person borrowing it will damage it. Usually they put it on wrong or release the busk without loosening the laces and break something. Chances are that if someone is borrowing your corset, they don't have the funds to get their own so they won't be able to replace yours.

Other tidbits of info:

Hand wash or dry clean only. I don't trust dry cleaners so I wash mine in cool water with detergent made for delicate lingerie.  Lay flat to dry and never use a hot iron. It is best to wash without the laces and re-lace once dry.

A little Febreze or a similiar product between washings is fine (test somewhere inconspicuous first). Wear something under your corset like a liner or tank top to prolong the time between washings.

If you are corsetting for long periods of time, a little baby powder will help with chafing if it does not fit well. Just was after wearing over powdered skin.

Do not store your corset rolled up, this will warp the bones. Hang it like this:
https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/MrSINched/IMG_5015.jpg

Apr 28 08 01:46 pm Link

Model

B Debauchery

TheStitchWitch wrote:

Here you go. smile

I actually prefer the "incorrect" method they mention as the same friction on the laces they complain about actually makes self-tightening easier since the laces grip each other instead of loosening up between pulls.

THANK YOU!! as well for the subsequent post. Really helpful!!

Apr 28 08 02:20 pm Link