Houston, Texas, US

Aaaaaaaaargghh. 

This thread makes me sad that I can't wear my corsets right now.  sad

-Scarlett

Apr 28 08 02:59 pm Link

Model

Violet Leys

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom

I love corsets, I got my first about 10 years ago. I stopped for about 3-4 years because I gained weight and was in a low point in my life, but got some new ones this year after sorting myself out. Have had about 7 in total, I keep 3 even though they don't fit me, including my first one. I have 3 that I can wear and another one to come next week (underbust this time) big_smile
I'm hoping to buy a new one every month or so until my cravings are satiated :p

Apr 28 08 03:27 pm Link

Model

Xavialune

Los Angeles, California, US

I want a corset, but im strapped for moolahs and dont know where to get a real good one anyhow. I heard though with waist training within the first couple months or so you will have to buy a new one? is that true?

Apr 28 08 07:28 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

i have such a thing for corsets...i need to save some money and get one.

Apr 28 08 07:29 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

TheStitchWitch wrote:
I don't think I saw this mentioned already...

Never loan your  custom corset to someone else no matter how much they beg. Your corset will conform to your body as you wear it and once you allow it to be on a different body, it may become warped or cause stress in other areas. This will shorten the life of your corset and may cause you discomfort as well.

The other possiblility is that the person borrowing it will damage it. Usually they put it on wrong or release the busk without loosening the laces and break something. Chances are that if someone is borrowing your corset, they don't have the funds to get their own so they won't be able to replace yours.

Other tidbits of info:

Hand wash or dry clean only. I don't trust dry cleaners so I wash mine in cool water with detergent made for delicate lingerie.  Lay flat to dry and never use a hot iron. It is best to wash without the laces and re-lace once dry.

A little Febreze or a similiar product between washings is fine (test somewhere inconspicuous first). Wear something under your corset like a liner or tank top to prolong the time between washings.

If you are corsetting for long periods of time, a little baby powder will help with chafing if it does not fit well. Just was after wearing over powdered skin.

Do not store your corset rolled up, this will warp the bones. Hang it like this:
https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/MrSINched/IMG_5015.jpg

Thanks for reminding me, I put that info in the main post smile

Apr 28 08 08:04 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

TheStitchWitch wrote:

Here you go. smile

http://www.waspcreations.com/howtol.htm

I actually prefer the "incorrect" method they mention as the same friction on the laces they complain about actually makes self-tightening easier since the laces grip each other instead of loosening up between pulls.

I'm going to add this too

Apr 28 08 08:05 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

Kitty_Face wrote:
I want a corset, but im strapped for moolahs and dont know where to get a real good one anyhow. I heard though with waist training within the first couple months or so you will have to buy a new one? is that true?

Once you can lace your corset closed (remember to get one 4 inches smaller than your natural waist) it is time to get a new one if you want to go smaller. If you are happy with the amount of reduction you get at 4 inches, you can just stay at that size. Its a matter of preference.

If you are wanting to train seriously, you will need at least two corsets so you can wear one and have a clean one to change into when its time to wash the first.

Apr 29 08 09:49 am Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

Scarlett St Vitus wrote:
Aaaaaaaaargghh. 

This thread makes me sad that I can't wear my corsets right now.  sad

-Scarlett

No much longer. I'm working on our project for you this week. wink

Apr 29 08 09:50 am Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

Nikki A wrote:

Thanks for reminding me, I put that info in the main post smile

You're welcome. smile

Apr 29 08 09:51 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Nice thread, I didn't realize there was so much to know about corsets.

smile

Apr 29 08 09:56 am Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

I bought a Meschantes corset and it was great. I would definitely buy from them again. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Apr 29 08 05:59 pm Link

Model

KuerbisKopff

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alexis_ wrote:
I bought a Meschantes corset and it was great. I would definitely buy from them again. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Yep...  I have 2 from them

Apr 29 08 11:31 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

All of you who are looking to purchase a corset and don't mind spending some money PM me

May 07 08 04:02 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

This needs a serious bump with all the wrong information floating around lately on the forums

Dec 21 08 04:32 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Pathogenic Confessions wrote:
This needs a serious bump with all the wrong information floating around lately on the forums

More corset questions lately, so a nice bump
big_smile

Mar 18 09 01:48 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

How long typically before you have to wash a corset?  When it starts to smell bad?  When it gets sweat stains? big_smile

Mar 19 09 02:18 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Kita St Cyr wrote:
How long typically before you have to wash a corset?  When it starts to smell bad?  When it gets sweat stains? big_smile

Stains or smelling bad.
Those are the only time i have ever washed mine.
Corsets just don't get dirty like other clothes. lol

Mar 19 09 02:21 pm Link

Model

Meghan Gerhart

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Great post!! I have a total corset fetish. I now own 6 real corsets and am starting to tightlace. Every time I get any money, I want to buy a corset right away. big_smile I've never had a custom corset, though. I've never been rich enough. Besides, I'm losing weight right now, so it'd be pointless. But in the future I hope to have a collection.

Mar 19 09 03:53 pm Link

Model

Christina Smiles

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've worn a "real" corset once.  My college theater department had some, and I got to demonstrate them for a costume class.  Currently I only have imitation corsets and bustiers (mostly from Fredericks), which I'm perfectly content with for now.

~christina

Mar 19 09 04:01 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Christina Smiles wrote:
I've worn a "real" corset once.  My college theater department had some, and I got to demonstrate them for a costume class.  Currently I only have imitation corsets and bustiers (mostly from Fredericks), which I'm perfectly content with for now.

~christina

It is a slippery slope!
I started with bustiers from Fredericks and it went from there.
I could never wear one ever again, after I started buying corsets

Mar 19 09 04:02 pm Link

Model

Nicole Ashley

The Plains, Ohio, US

Can anyone tell me how soon after giving birth one could start corset training. I would automatically assume at least the six weeks it takes for the uterus to shrink to it's normal size.

Mar 20 09 08:19 am Link

Model

Kam Arose

Berkeley, California, US

Kita St Cyr wrote:

Dry clean it unless you've been told by the maker that it's washer-safe (it has to have coated bones and stainless steel grommets to be rust-proof). Preferably at a dry cleaner you can trust to not fuck it up (I don't think it's common, but there are horror stories about dry cleaners destroying corsets). Most of the time, though, just wear it over something (a cami or a corset liner) so it doesn't get sweaty and nasty, and let it air out afterwards (for 24hr tightlacing, it's best to alternate between two corsets so they can air out in between wears).

Mar 20 09 08:56 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I don't know if this was linked before (sorry for the lazyness wink),
but does anyone have experience with this site? How "real" are these ones (seem quit cheap to me)?
http://www.honour.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=321

Mar 20 09 09:15 am Link

Model

Hex Onyx

Cedar Grove, Florida, US

This is a great thread. So many people think that what is sold by Shirley of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret are 'real' corsets when really they're made with plastic boning and weak hooks and eyes. It's probably been mentioned, but plastic boning is worst. It warps so easily!! A side note: You can use hooks and eyes as closures, but they are heavy duty and rather large. I prefer using steel busks to anything else.

I make corsets and waist cinchers, but mine are more for fashion and going out dancing then waist training. Though I can make ones for that purpose. I just use white steel boning instead of the spiral steel, especially if I am making one for a more full figured lady. I have just started making corsets and cinchers. If anyone wants one for only the cost of materials give me a holler.

www.farthingalesla.com has some great info and does custom corsets. I buy all my supplies from there.

Also, anyone that wants to find a genuine hand made corset should check etsy.com. There is one corset maker on there whose work I drool over. The link to her page is: www.divadivine777.etsy.com

Mar 20 09 09:31 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Nicole  Ashley wrote:
Can anyone tell me how soon after giving birth one could start corset training. I would automatically assume at least the six weeks it takes for the uterus to shrink to it's normal size.

I honestly don't feel comfortable giving you a timeline, I have no experience with this, but I know someone you can talk to

Her:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/205569

Mar 20 09 09:34 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Kamarose wrote:

Dry clean it unless you've been told by the maker that it's washer-safe (it has to have coated bones and stainless steel grommets to be rust-proof). Preferably at a dry cleaner you can trust to not fuck it up (I don't think it's common, but there are horror stories about dry cleaners destroying corsets). Most of the time, though, just wear it over something (a cami or a corset liner) so it doesn't get sweaty and nasty, and let it air out afterwards (for 24hr tightlacing, it's best to alternate between two corsets so they can air out in between wears).

The problem is, I wouldn't trust a dry cleaners hmm

Mar 20 09 09:35 am Link

Model

Kam Arose

Berkeley, California, US

The problem is, I wouldn't trust a dry cleaners hmm

Yeah, I haven't trusted any with my corsets yet. But asking for a recommended dry cleaner from other corsetty people seems like a fairly safe route.

Mar 20 09 09:38 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Mini_ wrote:
I don't know if this was linked before (sorry for the lazyness wink),
but does anyone have experience with this site? How "real" are these ones (seem quit cheap to me)?
http://www.honour.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=321

I have never heard of them, but they don't look tightlacing strong.
The fabric buckles and puckers, which isn't a good sign and in of the pictures from a backview there is a bulge between the middle of the back and the bottom, which shows a lack of support

Mar 20 09 09:49 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Hex Onyx wrote:
This is a great thread. So many people think that what is sold by Shirley of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret are 'real' corsets when really they're made with plastic boning and weak hooks and eyes. It's probably been mentioned, but plastic boning is worst. It warps so easily!! A side note: You can use hooks and eyes as closures, but they are heavy duty and rather large. I prefer using steel busks to anything else.

I make corsets and waist cinchers, but mine are more for fashion and going out dancing then waist training. Though I can make ones for that purpose. I just use white steel boning instead of the spiral steel, especially if I am making one for a more full figured lady. I have just started making corsets and cinchers. If anyone wants one for only the cost of materials give me a holler.

www.farthingalesla.com has some great info and does custom corsets. I buy all my supplies from there.

Also, anyone that wants to find a genuine hand made corset should check etsy.com. There is one corset maker on there whose work I drool over. The link to her page is: www.divadivine777.etsy.com

That etsy page....that is not a sturdy corset. I wouldn't recommend it for a real reduction

Mar 20 09 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for the useful info.

Mar 20 09 09:57 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

That etsy page....that is not a sturdy corset. I wouldn't recommend it for a real reduction

They look about as sturdy as a Vollers to me.

Mar 20 09 11:19 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

theda wrote:

They look about as sturdy as a Vollers to me.

I am not a Vollers fan, but that is just me
smile

Mar 20 09 11:53 am Link

Model

Scarlett St Vitus

Houston, Texas, US

I honestly don't feel comfortable giving you a timeline, I have no experience with this, but I know someone you can talk to

Her:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/205569

smile  Thanks for recommending me.  I can really only give her my personal experience, as I have no medical knowledge regarding this issue outside of what my doctor told me for my situation.

I waited until 8 weeks after the birth of my child to attempt to tightlace again.  Generally, the uterus is back to normal size by 6 weeks post-partum.  I had a very normal pregnancy and delivery with very few complications, so my situation wouldn't apply to everyone, including those who had to have a c-section, etc.  smile

Mar 20 09 11:57 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

smile

They're not top of the line, but they're functional for off-the-rack, won't fall apart and are reasonably priced.

Mar 20 09 11:58 am Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

theda wrote:

They're not top of the line, but they're functional for off-the-rack, won't fall apart and are reasonably priced.

I love these guys and there are in a good price range:
http://www.corsetmaker.com/

Mar 20 09 12:13 pm Link

Model

AiTenshiMisha

Dayton, Ohio, US

I got a corset online for $50 and it was soooo crappy! I was soo angry. It doesnt have any steel in it at all. It was 100% fabric...when the pic made it look amazing... lame..

Mar 20 09 10:32 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Wilde Hunt Corsetry

Columbus, Ohio, US

smile

I second this.

Mar 21 09 09:40 am Link

Clothing Designer

Wilde Hunt Corsetry

Columbus, Ohio, US

AiTenshiMisha wrote:
I got a corset online for $50 and it was soooo crappy! I was soo angry. It doesnt have any steel in it at all. It was 100% fabric...when the pic made it look amazing... lame..

Well, the fact that it was $50 would have been the first clue. $300 would be an amazing deal for a real corset. $50 wouldn't even cover materials.

Mar 21 09 09:44 am Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

Wilde Hunt Corsetry wrote:

Well, the fact that it was $50 would have been the first clue. $300 would be an amazing deal for a real corset. $50 wouldn't even cover materials.

I've been incredibly happy with my underbust from Isabella Corsetry, her off the rack is $100-200. smile

Mar 21 09 09:57 am Link

Model

Scarlett St Vitus

Houston, Texas, US

I love these guys and there are in a good price range:
http://www.corsetmaker.com/

LOVE them.  I have several corsets made by them and they're all great quality.  I think I might love them even more though because I met them at Convergence 13 and they said I was the only 18" they fitted all weekend.  lol  Of course I had to buy more corsets from them after that.  Flattery will get you everywhere.  big_smile

Mar 21 09 10:51 am Link