Forums > Model Colloquy > Hoping to get into an agency.

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

ESCALANTE wrote:
Attention troll .

the problem is that she posted looking for people to tell her that she was beautiful and that she could do it... not looking for a real answer. its just a way to reassure yourself of your value, instead of asses your potential for a career.

Dec 30 08 01:58 pm Link

Model

LC Mtl

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Digitoxin wrote:

There are a LOT of people who look at a pretty girl and say "honey, you should model."

Unless the people saying that are also:

1) Agency bookers/owners
2) ad execs
3) Agency quality (and agency connected) photographers

then they don't know shit.

If you want to find out if you are agency material, do some research and WALK INTO about 10 agencies during their open call. 

If you don't get accepted, wait 3 months and do it again (adding some new agencies).  And again. 

After a year, if you are still not signed, you have your answer.

That is some GOOD ADVICE & so TRUE!

Have a nice day smile

Cheers,

Dec 30 08 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

RLydon

Brooklyn, New York, US

Megan G wrote:
I think you have a good look.  You are a little short for runway.  Maybe try changing up your hair, its very lifestyle/commercial I think.  I think agencies look for models who have a look that is chameleon-like (if that makes sense).  If a model has the ability to change her looks relatively easily, then they will get booked for more jobs.  Maybee?

I couldn't agree more. You have an excellent look for commercial/catalogue (too short for runway). Your body is fine. But you *have to* lose the haircut. Keep the color consistent and lose the razor cut. Keep it plain. The more plain, the more flexible it can be for different styles.

Go spend some money on a good hairdresser. You could get signed in NYC no problem with your look and your body is amazing (although I can't see your legs/hips in the photos).

Dec 30 08 03:37 pm Link

Model

Ekaterina Joukova

Maple Ridge, Ohio, US

ESCALANTE wrote:
Thank You DIgi, But I doubt she is going to actually listen to your VERY insightful information
This is another case of ," can I be signed/a model/ supermodel/Victoria secret model/Abercrombie &fitch model,  and I do NOT CARE if you say NO i cant be cause I don't care and will do it anyway." kind of Thread. I just had one with a midget Asian Girl asking if she could be JUST a BEAUTY model.Which is not Possible.
But they dont care what the actual real honest to goodness experienced AGENCY LEVEL PROFESSIONALS have to say , They are going to do it because MISS_________ (fill in the blanks IE , Kate Moss, or some MM member ) did it and they weren't Agency Height /standards ,etc , their egos are so super inflated that they have lost any kind of reasoning and logic that they MAY have had.
They forget that they are not good looking enough nor uniquely beautiful enough for an agency to sign them or for them to even become more then a WEB WANNA BE. I call TROLL / I WANT ATTENTION on all of these type of threads.
If they were serious they wouldn't be wasting their time asking a lot more 'non agency pros' , if they have what it takes to 'make it'. 'Make it' how?
'make it' , where? 'make it' , what?
Stop the threads and GO TO A REAL LEGIT LEGAL MODELING AGENCY AND FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES. GO FIND OUT HOW MUCH MORE HARSH THEY ARE THEN ANYTHING OR ANYONE ON MM CAN BE TO YOU, You WILL HEAR THE HONEST TRUTH FROM THEM .

Attention troll .

Just because I wanted to know what people thought of me makes me a troll?
I guess I shouldn't have made this thread because I don't know whether any of you are professional either.
You should seriously take a few deep breaths and calm down by the way.

Jan 02 09 12:20 pm Link

Model

Ekaterina Joukova

Maple Ridge, Ohio, US

Viktoria wrote:

the problem is that she posted looking for people to tell her that she was beautiful and that she could do it... not looking for a real answer. its just a way to reassure yourself of your value, instead of asses your potential for a career.

I wanted honest answers. Not someone to tell me I'm beautiful or whatnot. Although you provide an interesting point, I do not agree with it. When I replied, I either asked more questions or added things about myself to let people know more about me so that they can tell me their opinions.

Jan 02 09 12:27 pm Link

Model

Ekaterina Joukova

Maple Ridge, Ohio, US

RLydon wrote:

I couldn't agree more. You have an excellent look for commercial/catalogue (too short for runway). Your body is fine. But you *have to* lose the haircut. Keep the color consistent and lose the razor cut. Keep it plain. The more plain, the more flexible it can be for different styles.

Go spend some money on a good hairdresser. You could get signed in NYC no problem with your look and your body is amazing (although I can't see your legs/hips in the photos).

I've went through 2 hairshows...which I probably should't have done. I'm still trying to get my hair back to the way it was.

Jan 02 09 12:30 pm Link

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

Ekaterina Joukova wrote:
I wanted honest answers. Not someone to tell me I'm beautiful or whatnot. Although you provide an interesting point, I do not agree with it. When I replied, I either asked more questions or added things about myself to let people know more about me so that they can tell me their opinions.

this is pointless. you either have the look or you don't.  you don't.  you can't agree or disagree with a fact. i mean you can, but that doesn't make you very bright, does it.  look, pretty is subjective.  everyone sees their own version of pretty.  marketable is not.  if you've been around the industry long enough you can assess someone's commercial potential in a given market in 10 seconds.

Jan 02 09 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Ekaterina Joukova wrote:

I want to model because I love it and have a passion for it. Not because someone told me I should..
And the people who told me that I have potential and that I could get into an agency were photographers, mua's and other models. Why would a model scout see something in me?
I know I'm and inch short of the minimum height for runway, but editorial starts at 5'8. I don't understand why agencies even make the minimum 5'8 when all they really want is 5'10+.

because you could have a 16 year old girl with natural platinum hair, tri-colored eyes, perfect skin and teeth, who captures your heart just by standing in front of a white background and she is 5 foot 8 inches.

Jan 02 09 01:24 pm Link

Model

Nessa Lyons

Portland, Oregon, US

You have a versatile face (could be commercial or high fashion, good with or without makeup) and a nice body. Have you considered cutting your hair short to flatter your face better? Maybe a darker color or lowlights to enhance your skin tone. (Sorry I do hair so it's the first thing I go for). Might want to consider expanding your port. The photos you do have are great, you just need more versatility. You need "edge" and "attitude". I just discovered all this and I'm getting shoots and talking to a lot of agencies. Go get 'em!

Jan 02 09 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

mary duprie

Pontiac, Michigan, US

to do commercial modeling at your height and weight you would have to have a "killer" smile....
and you don't have one image of you smiling......
that makes me think your smile might be lacking.........

Jan 02 09 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Thornton

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ekaterina Joukova wrote:
This if my biggest goal at the moment. I have tried out for 4 different agencies, and I didn't get any replies.
Is it my look? My height? Measurements?
What do you guys think it is?

I am assuming that you want to be a fashion model. So here I go: You are a little over weight, 1” too short for most of the top fashion agencies, most of your shots are sad, you have very little experience in front of the camera therefore your modeling ability is weak.

Tone up, shoot as much as you can with the best photographers. The problem here is where you live. The likelihood of finding world class fashion photographers where you live is very poor.

Good luck, at least you have the guts to ask... that is a good thing.

Steve Thornton
http://stevethornton.com/

Jan 02 09 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

rxphoto99

Brooklyn, New York, US

Viktoria wrote:

you've gotten a lot of answers here. you not wanting to accept them doesn't make them any less accurate.  everyone's got gifts.  make the most out of the ones you were given and cut your loses on the ones you weren't.

I'm with Viktoria on this one. It's going to be way too hard for you in fashion, and runway will be impossible. Your best bet is to focus on what your strengths are, which are your face and  great figure. I would get the hair fixed and explore commercial and swimwear/lingerie opportunities, if you're into that. Just not fashion. You're neither tall enough, nor weird/unique looking. Don't underestimate what you can do though, even if you don't do fashion. There's lots of other stuff you can rock that will make a lot of money and is still a lot of fun.

Jan 03 09 12:45 am Link