Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Funny Makeup Slang

Makeup Artist

Rachel Lisa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Have you guys ever heard someone else use a term to describe something and it was so funny it made you wanna pee your pants? Post em' here!
A few I heard:

"Casket Sharp"- as described to me by an older woman "Girl, she put so much makeup on me that was so cakey, I looked Casket Sharp!"

"Steak Lips"- as described by me "Girl, did you see her brown lip liner with pink lip gloss? She had medium rare Steak Lips!"

Alright, everyone else! GO!!!!!

Jun 20 09 08:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

jdm

New York, New York, US

After putting vaseline on my lips, I was told I had "soup coolers".  I'm...still not sure what that means.

Oh, and lulz at Casket Sharp.  Reminds me of one of my favorite homes for fuckery on the web:  http://www.crunktastical.net/category/casket-sharp/

Jun 20 09 08:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel Lisa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

OMG, Jack, I had to stop reading that page...I just did my makeup to go to the IMATS and I'm crying it off now! LOLLERSKATES!!!!!!!

Jun 20 09 09:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lindsey R Smith

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I was doing a skincare consult and the client and I were talking about sunscreen... she said, "oh I always wear sunscreen... I don't want my skin to look like a purse when i get older." I was like a purse? and just at that very moment... one of those brown saggy leathery ladies walked by and she pointed and said... "a purse..." CRACKED ME UP!""

So...

"A purse"- when your skin looks like a slouchy brown leather purse.

Jun 22 09 01:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

'Fakeup artist' or 'mistake-up artist' - they're my faves! I usually save these terms for 'MUA's' with bad hygiene, 'girls with makeup (GWM),' and other such nonsense that crud up the industry.

Jersey lips (tan skin with powder pink lipstick and gloss)
Jersey face (add 6lbs of bronzer and way too much mascara and black liner)

Those are very regional terms haha...sorry to the Jersey peeps:( I love you but you all know it's true!

Boca-bag (old leather skin with coral lipstick)
MACBOT ...self explanatory

Jun 22 09 01:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea Martini

SHOHOLA, Pennsylvania, US

Tanorexic.

Im sure you have heard it before, but good lord I love that word! lol.

its for those girls that OD on the tanning beds...or the ones that use orange self tanners.

Jun 22 09 06:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

M Ye

New York, New York, US

Jordan Liberty wrote:
'Fakeup artist' or 'mistake-up artist' - they're my faves! I usually save these terms for 'MUA's' with bad hygiene, 'girls with makeup (GWM),' and other such nonsense that crud up the industry.

Those are very regional terms haha...sorry to the Jersey peeps:( I love you but you all know it's true!

First off, they don't wear lipstick, just globs of Dior lip gloss.
The glossiest and most glittery one that Dior makes.

They are also Diorshow crazy, seriously.

Orgasm and laguna everywhere.
These girls are NARS crazy but not so crazy for the NARS products that actually rock.

Oh, and they all have sperm brows.

And those chunky bleach blonde highlights with dark brown hair.
There are only like 5 streaks of blonde sitting right at their part and nowhere else.

Don't forget the tramp stamp.
Usually in butterfly form.

Bleh.

I'm glad to be pale and all natural.

Jun 22 09 12:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea Martini

SHOHOLA, Pennsylvania, US

haha...tanorexic jersey faces...

i cant stop giggling

Jun 22 09 02:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Treja Makeup and Hair

San Francisco, California, US

i LOVE tanorexic hahahaha its so appropriate!

I met a mistake-up artist this weekend, she was talking to another of the girls I was working with. This is the conversation right after she said that she was a makeup artist

Us: So what foundations are you using in your kit right now?
Her: Whats a kit?

Jun 22 09 02:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

michele Perry

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Fakeup Artist and steak lips, i love it hahahahah

Jun 22 09 03:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

This one isn't really 'makeup slang...' but when we're at shoots and there's an amateur model on set, they often squint their eyes and push out their lips to look 'sexy' and it's so frustrating! They look ridiculous. We call it the 'wind-blown fish' look. Not one person in here doesn't know what I'm talking about.

That crazy face people make that's supposed to be sexy...but looks stupid..is in SO many ports on here...it's hilarious.

Jun 22 09 05:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brandie Hopstein

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Jordan Liberty wrote:

I love "FAKEUP ARTIST".   

Ha I know a GWM..  She uses her own makeup or whatever makeup the person has with them (so I have heard). Lol. I work very hard to educate myself and have invested large sums of money into a high quality professional kit. Fakeup artist is exactly the term to use for people with no talent/education or respect for the industry.

P.s. Jordan I keep running into your posts in the forums. I must say I love your port.

Jul 13 09 08:46 am Link

Hair Stylist

Nneka Chinello

Los Angeles, California, US

Jordan Liberty wrote:
This one isn't really 'makeup slang...' but when we're at shoots and there's an amateur model on set, they often squint their eyes and push out their lips to look 'sexy' and it's so frustrating! They look ridiculous. We call it the 'wind-blown fish' look. Not one person in here doesn't know what I'm talking about.

That crazy face people make that's supposed to be sexy...but looks stupid..is in SO many ports on here...it's hilarious.

That is just the worst. They think that sexy is pouting their lips. I once had a photographer after every click of the shutter have to tell the model to relax your lips. :click "relax your lips":click "relax your lips: it went on like this for about 200 frames.

The next model is the same face model. She has amazing makeup and hair and in every frame she has the same exact face. Give me Happy (same face) give me shy (same face). The makeup artist just looked at me and said "great 1000 images with the same exact face."

Jul 13 09 09:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Ohhh look its    "Frizz Taylor"   ( girls with bleached out hair and black eyebrows )
The guy version   it's  Man-donna

This isnt a MUA term but I love it none the less
Guys in speedos =  mankini's

Code for I have to go to the bathroom ........

Im "10-1 "(this is commonly used on film , tv and commercial sets )
Guess if you had to poo it'd be 10- 2   but thats TMI   too much information

Other film slang is

Were on the "abby singer"   ( that means the second to the last shoot ) Why   becouse  asst. director abby singer use to say this is the last shoot and then there was always one more after

The martini shot   thats the last shot

Were "MOS"   that means with out sound but became MOS becouse of a german director ( I belive)   use to say Mit Out Sound 

Girls with too much lip gloss (pork chop face) becouse it looks like they stuck their face in a greasy pork chop

other slangs I love

"butterface".... as in everything is nice....butter face

she/ he 's a "20 footer" ( self explainitory ) , looks good from 20 ft away

Jul 13 09 09:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sharon Hawkey

I refer to bottom eyelashes as the step children because I always forget about them!

Jul 13 09 09:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Saj M

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TheMakeupman wrote:
Ohhh look its    "Frizz Taylor"   ( girls with bleached out hair and black eyebrows )
The guy version   it's  Man-donna

This isnt a MUA term but I love it none the less
Guys in speedos =  mankini's

Code for I have to go to the bathroom ........

Im "10-1 "(this is commonly used on film , tv and commercial sets )
Guess if you had to poo it'd be 10- 2   but thats TMI   too much information

Other film slang is

Were on the "abby singer"   ( that means the second to the last shoot ) Why   becouse  asst. director abby singer use to say this is the last shoot and then there was always one more after

The martini shot   thats the last shot

Were "MOS"   that means with out sound but became MOS becouse of a german director ( I belive)   use to say Mit Out Sound 

Girls with too much lip gloss (pork chop face) becouse it looks like they stuck their face in a greasy pork chop

other slangs I love

"butterface".... as in everything is nice....butter face

she/ he 's a "20 footer" ( self explainitory ) , looks good from 20 ft away

LMAOOOOOO i loveeeeee 10-1 haha and yep thats exactly why its MOS lmaoooo
and for the 20" footer we say here
" good from far..but far from good"

Jul 13 09 05:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sharon Hawkey wrote:
I refer to bottom eyelashes as the step children because I always forget about them!

lol!

Jul 13 09 05:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Zuri

Omygod these are Great slang terms Its hilarious, gotta come up with sum of my own.

Jul 13 09 05:36 pm Link

Model

PRIVATE DELETED ACCOUNT

Fontana, California, US

Ahaha, I need to make a video on this called: "FUNNY BEAUTY GURU TERMS". I'm
already planning a regular beauty/makeup lingo definitions video, but THIS is good!

Feb 18 15 05:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ThirdEyeMakeup

I laughed out loud the first time I heard Lisa Eldridge apply bronzer and say: "Just lightly buff it in....you don't want to end up with a Snicker's bar" Hahahaha

Feb 18 15 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Tammy Baker eyes!!

Feb 18 15 06:52 pm Link