Forums > Model Colloquy > wanna burn 1000 cals in an hour!?!

Model

samantha manus

Los Angeles, California, US

ive been doing the treadmill lately and since its hard on my knee to run for a long time i do treadmill at an incline of 15 (its the MAX) and i never let my speed go under 5.0 mph. and ill space out atleast 3 minutes out of every ten and run at 8.0 mph. that way its in little spurts and easier to manage. then back down to 5.0 mph.

you burn a TON of calories at an incline and its way easy!
sometimes if im super tired and cant walk that fast, ill stay at an incline of 15 and walk at 4.0 or 4.5 mph. its lower intensity but you still burn a lot!

ive been doing it every day for a 2weeks and i do it for no less than an hour, ive been feeling smaller and my waist and love handles have been shrinking!!
(small print:: also keeping carbs to a minimum) anywaysss i love it!! give it a shot!

smile

Jun 20 09 04:02 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

Sounds good.  And I believe you posted a while back on how to get in better shape...

Jun 20 09 05:14 pm Link

Model

Patience20027

Washington, District of Columbia, US

or you could jump rope!!!

but you said you have a bad knee....so I guess that wouldnt work for you sad

and treadmills bore me, so I"ll stick with my jumprope.....big_smile

Jun 20 09 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

1000 calories in an hour is easy on an elliptical (at least for people with body weight > 200lb), probably easier on your knees too.

Jun 20 09 05:56 pm Link

Model

Troy Ariacelia

Or you can just have wild crazy sex ;D

Jun 20 09 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

TroyZ wrote:

You need a workout partner?

Jun 20 09 07:29 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

TroyZ wrote:

smile

Jun 20 09 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Fotogene

Chicago Heights, Illinois, US

I've tried that but I just could not get my tread mill to run down hill.

Jun 20 09 07:52 pm Link

Model

Jessyka Ann

Hyannis, Massachusetts, US

samantha manus wrote:
ive been doing the treadmill lately and since its hard on my knee to run for a long time i do treadmill at an incline of 15 (its the MAX) and i never let my speed go under 5.0 mph. and ill space out atleast 3 minutes out of every ten and run at 8.0 mph. that way its in little spurts and easier to manage. then back down to 5.0 mph.

you burn a TON of calories at an incline and its way easy!
sometimes if im super tired and cant walk that fast, ill stay at an incline of 15 and walk at 4.0 or 4.5 mph. its lower intensity but you still burn a lot!

ive been doing it every day for a 2weeks and i do it for no less than an hour, ive been feeling smaller and my waist and love handles have been shrinking!!
(small print:: also keeping carbs to a minimum) anywaysss i love it!! give it a shot!

smile

I want a treadmill sooooo bad!

Jun 20 09 07:56 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

How do you know you're burning that many calories?
I do high impact kickboxing now, and I always wonder how many calories it's burning by doing so.

Jun 20 09 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

high intensity training like you mention is good to a degree, but will mess with your knee bad if you have a bad joint over time.   Eliptical, or walking with a higher incline will still burn as much faster actually.  I saw an article somewhere where if you do too much HIT that your body will plateau and not lose actual fat after a while and that it has some adverse effects on your lungs too.  A good way to tell if you're running at the right pace is to be able to feel like you're getting a good cardiovascular workout yet be able to carry on a conversation with a training partner without having to gasp for breath.   Also, besides just burning with cardio of this sort, you'll want to do some actual weight training excercises too in order to turn fat into muscle and tone up.   Often people think that weight training is just for muscle heads or people that just want to get ripped, but they are mistaken because you can lose weight and look/feel better with it.   

Best training I have seen/done is one day cardio, one day weights, one day cardio, one day weights, one day cardio, one day weights, then off day and repeat.   it works pretty well along with enough sleep (8 hours typically), enough water intake to get protein to your muscles to grow/form (your current body weight x .66 to get the correct oz of water you should drink in a day), and the correct nutrition (stick with mainly lean proteins and vegetables, and if you want carbs eat the good ones which are things with whole wheat/multi-grain that last longer in your system to break down slower instead of white flour breads/carbs which burn just as fast as if you were to eat pure sugar and will leave you really tired like an hour later).    You'll also want to plan to eat the proper amount of calories per day in the right foods so that you don't over eat because too much of a good thing is not good either....  check out a book called Get Lean on Amazon if you want a good training diet.   

hope this helps for those who are trying to train.

Jun 20 09 08:00 pm Link

Model

CLAYMAC

BOISE, Idaho, US

Vera van Munster wrote:
I do high impact kickboxing now, and I always wonder how many calories it's burning by doing so.

Usually the machine calculates it for you, you enter your weight before the workout.

Jun 20 09 08:07 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Corey Lay wrote:

Usually the machine calculates it for you, you enter your weight before the workout.

I've heard of that, but I've also heard that's bullcrap.
I found an online calculator where you enter your weight and I found it rather darn hard to believe that I burn under 400 calories doing kickboxing.

Jun 20 09 08:17 pm Link

Model

Andrea Rosu

San Francisco, California, US

Vera van Munster wrote:

I found an online calculator where you enter your weight and I found it rather darn hard to believe that I burn under 400 calories doing kickboxing.

It is bullcrap...
so much goes into how many calories are burnt during a workout...and the machine does not/cannot take it all into account.

And it's actually very possible that you're burning under 400 calories during a class of kickboxing.  When I work out, I have a heartrate moniter that tracks my heartrate during my workout and lets me know what percentage I'm working out at.  I burn around 300 calories during a boxing workout...and I'm working crazy hard!!  But I can burn just over 600 calories during a spin class.

But I want to reiterate...we all burn at very different rates.  My boyfriend burns an enviable amount more during a workout, even though it seems like we're putting in a comparable amount of effort.

Jun 20 09 08:49 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Andrea MJM wrote:

It is bullcrap...
so much goes into how many calories are burnt during a workout...and the machine does not/cannot take it all into account.

And it's actually very possible that you're burning under 400 calories during a class of kickboxing.  When I work out, I have a heartrate moniter that tracks my heartrate during my workout and lets me know what percentage I'm working out at.  I burn around 300 calories during a boxing workout...and I'm working crazy hard!!  But I can burn just over 600 calories during a spin class.

But I want to reiterate...we all burn at very different rates.  My boyfriend burns an enviable amount more during a workout, even though it seems like we're putting in a comparable amount of effort.

I'll have to get one of those.

Jun 20 09 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Corey Lay wrote:

Vera van Munster wrote:

It's an estimate, averaged over lots of people. The amount you burn will depend on age, gender, and fitness level.

Kick-boxing has a MET value of 10.0
http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/compendium.htm
which means the "average" person uses energy while kick-boxing at ten times their resting rate. For the average person, the at-rest rate is approximately 1 calorie per kilogram (kg) per hour. So
Calories per hour = MET value x weight in kg = MET value x weight in pounds/2.2
For example, an average 50 kg (=110 lb) person should use about 500 calories for an hour of kick-boxing, or approximately 450 calories more than for an hour of resting.

Here's the caveat that accompanies the link I gave above:

The values in the [MET] Compendium do not estimate the energy cost of physical activity in individuals in ways that account for differences in body mass, adiposity, age, sex, efficiency of movement, geographic and environmental conditions in which the activities are performed. Thus, individual differences in energy expenditure for the same activity can be large and the true energy cost for an individual may or may not be close to the stated mean MET level as presented in the Compendium.

Jun 20 09 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

BTW, "active, vigorous" sex has a MET value of only 1.5.

Clearly, some people are letting the team down.

Jun 20 09 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

If I attempted this I'm pretty sure my heart would explode

Jun 20 09 10:50 pm Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

that incline is likely to cause bulky leg muscles...

Jun 20 09 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

tigerfist photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

machines aren't accurate. the ones at my gym are always off. i don't pay attention to calories burned. i pay attention to my heart rate and how hard i'm sweating.

Jun 20 09 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Hassy501

Or you could be 51 years old and too old to do anything strenuous...

Jun 20 09 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Matthes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Please be careful... running uphill is very tough on the knees.  If you have knee problems already, I anticipate things getting worse before better if you're running at 8.0 with an incline of 15.0 for any length of time.

Talk to either a physical therapist, exercise physiologist, or at a bare minimum, a personal trainer or runner who knows about the mechanics of running.  They should confirm that you should not be running uphill with a bum knee.

Jun 21 09 12:41 am Link

Model

samantha manus

Vogue_Junkie wrote:
that incline is likely to cause bulky leg muscles...

oh no!!!! i dont want that!!!! ive noticed my thighs getting smaller though!!! and my tush getting smaller! hmm...

Jun 21 09 12:47 am Link

Model

samantha manus

tigerfist wrote:
machines aren't accurate. the ones at my gym are always off. i don't pay attention to calories burned. i pay attention to my heart rate and how hard i'm sweating.

oh yea i sweat more than i ever have when i do this...well besides when i did bikram yoga...thats a sweat unlike any other!

Jun 21 09 12:47 am Link

Model

samantha manus

Vera van Munster wrote:

do you do the kickboxing at 24 hour? or the kickboxing with the actual punching bags??

Jun 21 09 12:48 am Link

Model

samantha manus

Fotogene wrote:
I've tried that but I just could not get my tread mill to run down hill.

down hill?? no silly UP hill!!! INCLINE not decline. haha

Jun 21 09 12:49 am Link

Model

samantha manus

TroyZ wrote:

good thinkin!!! its a lot more fun than the tread thats for sure!

Jun 21 09 12:50 am Link

Model

samantha manus

QuaeVide wrote:
1000 calories in an hour is easy on an elliptical (at least for people with body weight > 200lb), probably easier on your knees too.

well i actually used to do the elliptical for an hour straight and id be working pretty hard, with a resistance of 8...and would burn 700 cals in an hour! and im >200 lbs.

i still throw in some elliptical training though to switch it up a bit. but you're a stud if you can burn 1000 in an hour! smile

Jun 21 09 12:52 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

samantha manus wrote:
im >200 lbs.

You weigh more than 200 lbs? I don't think so! According to the formula (realistic or not), the more you weigh, the more calories you burn for a given exercise. So if you, at 140lbs, burn 700 calories, someone who weights 210lbs would burn 1050 calories.

Jun 21 09 02:48 am Link

Photographer

MartinImages

TroyZ wrote:

Hah...even if you're...um..enthusiastic...and can go for an hour straight..

...you're only burning about 200 calories. 

But 5x a day, and you're good.  wink

B

Jun 21 09 09:20 am Link

Model

samantha manus

QuaeVide wrote:

You weigh more than 200 lbs? I don't think so! According to the formula (realistic or not), the more you weigh, the more calories you burn for a given exercise. So if you, at 140lbs, burn 700 calories, someone who weights 210lbs would burn 1050 calories.

hahah oops im an idiottt...i meant to put the little thingy goin the other way

Jun 21 09 11:09 am Link

Model

ExistingEden

Miami Beach, Florida, US

samantha manus wrote:
hahah oops im an idiottt...i meant to put the little thingy goin the other way

Jun 21 09 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Thanks but I go to the gym to put on weight, not take it off...  ;-)

Jun 21 09 11:12 am Link

Photographer

J T I

San Diego, California, US

martinimages wrote:

Hah...even if you're...um..enthusiastic...and can go for an hour straight..

...you're only burning about 200 calories. 

But 5x a day, and you're good.  wink

B

And, if you swallow, you gain 150 of those back...

Jun 21 09 11:15 am Link

Photographer

J T I

San Diego, California, US

Corey Lay wrote:

Divide this number by 1.5 (at least).  Most machines inflate the actual # of calories.

Jun 21 09 11:16 am Link

Photographer

swhnyc

New York, New York, US

I don't think the number of calories really matters, so long as you find something physically active that you enjoy and make it a part of your habit.  I started going for leisurely walks twice a week in Manhattan about a year ago -- 10 miles from Washington Heights to Battery Park -- and have gone from weighing 210 to 185.  That's still eating peanut butter and cupcakes from Crumbs bakery all the time.  My waist is down from 38 to 33.

Jun 21 09 11:25 am Link

Photographer

MartinImages

Nice job...but it IS because you're burning cals you didn't used to...

I hear you on the consistency thing though..and something enjoyable definitely helps keep that going.

B

Jun 21 09 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Erica Rae Perry

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

QuaeVide wrote:

I heard the elliptical overestimates by a LOT.

Jun 21 09 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

QuaeVide wrote:

Yep, 1/2 hour no my elliptical equals 550-600 calories.

Jun 21 09 01:04 pm Link

Model

Rinarina

Port Orchard, Washington, US

Mountain biking doesn't hurt your joints and I used to bike 2-3 miles and that can burn 1100 calories (Doesn't matter HOW fast you go or how Hard you go)
It burns far more than running and does less damage to your body.

I also suggest going to a nutritionist and your doctor and finding out if you should be even loosing weight. Personally, I can't. So I dance for 2 hours and stretch my muscles out and tone my body. I don't work out to loose weight or for anyone else, I work out because I love the feeling of my muscles working and feeling hot. smile

Jun 21 09 02:00 pm Link