This thread was locked on 2009-07-26 10:22:56
Forums > General Industry > About that istock TIME magazine cover

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I wonder if this issue was brought up. That if iStock had been really aware of who was buying this image they would have tried to get more money as well. They lost out as well on this deal.

Jul 26 09 09:12 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Gibson Photo Art wrote:

That's my take. If the image was listed at 1000.00-3000.00 they probably would have bought it without blinking an eye. It matched what they needed and paid per the agreement.

Now as far as the blog. If the old dinosaurs of the photographic field are not smart enough and quick enough to adapt to the new environment then we will be seeing them in a museum next to their obsolete camera gear.

To John Harrington. Since you obviously read these threads. Nice job asshole. Way to make professional photographers look like whiny babies. Blaming everyone else for your shrinking business just shows how insecure you are in your abilities.

+1

Jul 26 09 09:13 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

Anomalia Chin wrote:

And my worry is that it will become a trend, and not just an occasional behaviour.  This was expressed before.

To further elaborate on your Rand comment in regards to this situation, anyone who is creating a product is presented with several options:

1) continue creating a product and offer it at whatever price you (not you personally) wish.Success will either follow or not based on what the consumer sees as your value.

2) complain that consumers aren't compensating  you for what you feel is your actual value. Seeking compensation through price fixing and antitrust measures.

3) Shrug. Refuse to provide a product at all. The market will determine the value of that loss.

Jul 26 09 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Essential Form

Sedalia, Missouri, US

Anomalia Chin wrote:
There are also people who do this as hobbyists, and people who do this for their living, as a career.  The attitudes of either side will vary on this matter.

This is one of the first things you've said I can agree with.  Yes, attitudes will vary.

If one is to make a living creating images and fears being "devalued" by images available from mere amateurs the answer might just lie in the production of images beyond the ability of amateurs.

I see no material difference in the photo used by time and the $1400 photo linked elsewhere.  Apparently, Time saw no difference either.  I do not see either photo as "art".  This is craft, not art.  Both images appear well crafted.

Many of the arguments being presented here strike me as ugly cases of elitism.  Ugly in that elitism is being combined with entitlement. 

Where the hell is John Houseman?  Maybe we could use an actor/spokesman reminding us of that old fashioned way of making money . . . earning it.

Jul 26 09 09:18 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

slave to the lens wrote:

To further elaborate on your Rand comment in regards to this situation, anyone who is creating a product is presented with several options:

1) continue creating a product and offer it at whatever price you (not you personally) wish.Success will either follow or not based on what the consumer sees as your value.

2) complain that consumers aren't compensating  you for what you feel is your actual value. Seeking compensation through price fixing and antitrust measures.

3) Shrug. Refuse to provide a product at all. The market will determine the value of that loss.

Why was it important for you to mention "not me personally"?  This isn't the most productive was to conduct a discussion.

You don't seem to understand my point, and that's fine.  Just don't assume that you do.

Jul 26 09 09:18 am Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

Jul 26 09 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

In 1714, the British government offered a prize of 20,000 pounds for a way to accurately determine longitude within 30 nautical miles. That required an accurate timekeeping device.

Today, you can buy a quartz watch for $5 that is thousands of times more accurate than what is required, and a GPS that will get you within a few feet for $200.

Printing a book used to require huge outlays for a printing press, platemaker, graphic artists, etc etc. Now you can do it all from a computer to a laser printer for a few bucks.

Shit happens. The people doing well in business will adapt as they always do.

Jul 26 09 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Star wrote:

Do you understand that you are calling one of the great photographic business minds of our time a whiny ranter?

Next time maybe you should research who you are calling names before actually calling someone a name.

Sounds kind of crybabyish.

Think about it...so Time used a photo from iStock.  It's not exclusive.  Another magazine can use that same photo for their cover.  Someone else can probably buy it to make a t-shirt.

That $3,000 they normally pay is probably for exclusive use.  By not needing/wanting exclusivity, they saved $2970.00.  So what.

This is no different than UAW complaining about losing jobs to robots.  It is not a problem.  It's progress.  Progress helps many people while hurting many at the same time.

it is what it is.  Learn to move with it just as wedding photographers are having to deal with the $250/day wedding photogs and hobbyist friends.

Jul 26 09 09:28 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I agree with John Harrington.

I'm curious what iStock actually sold the image to Time mag for.
$31.50 is what's probably in loose change in that jar.

Jul 26 09 09:29 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Anomalia Chin wrote:
Why was it important for you to mention "not me personally"?  This isn't the most productive was to conduct a discussion.

You don't seem to understand my point, and that's fine.  Just don't assume that you do.

Ironically, I added that so you would realize I was not specifically talking about you, but "you" as a generic pronoun. Ironic, because you still managed to take it personally despite my best efforts to clarify the opposite.

I understand your point completely. Lack of agreement in a flawed argument doesn't equate to lack of comprehension.

Jul 26 09 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Gibson Photo Art wrote:
That's my take. If the image was listed at 1000.00-3000.00 they probably would have bought it without blinking an eye. It matched what they needed and paid per the agreement.

You don't seriously think that such a stock photo showing coins in a glass jar would/could ever be listed at such a ridiculously high price... much less even be considered for purchase?

Have you ever searched stock image houses for such image concepts. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of similar photos to choose from.

tongue

Jul 26 09 09:33 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

slave to the lens wrote:

Ironically, I added that so you would realize I was not specifically talking about you, but "you" as a generic pronoun. Ironic, because you still managed to take it personally despite my best efforts to clarify the opposite.

I understand your point completely. Lack of agreement in a flawed argument doesn't equate to lack of comprehension.

Ugh.  It's only flawed in your mind because you fail to comprehend it.  It is a failure.  Honestly, read what you wrote, and understand why I took it personally. 

If you wanted it to be read a certain way, then don't write it as if you're appealing to a high schooler.

Jul 26 09 09:33 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

I think I'm done with this discussion.

Jul 26 09 09:37 am Link

Photographer

afterexposure

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

As a bit of counter-point...

I haven't reall ALL the posts, but just so that we are clear on one point that seems to have been missed...

The TIME issue was on 'The New Frugality", right?

Can you imagine the furor that would erupt if they had paid $5000 for the image, and someone found a similar one on a microstock site for $5?

Very much an "eat your own dog food" kinda thing.

But there are still issues worthy of the discussion - no ducking that.

Jul 26 09 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Skydancer wrote:

Do you seriously think that such a stock photo showing coins in a glass jar would/could ever be listed at such a ridiculously high price... much less even be considered for purchase?

Have you ever searched stock image houses for such image concepts. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of similar photos to choose from.

tongue

Yes I have. I'm actually a member of iStock though I don't upload my work there. I still imagine iStock would be irked if they knew the missed out on easy profit. I have a feeling there was or will be a some meeting in regard to this at the iStock office.

Jul 26 09 09:38 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

afterexposure wrote:
As a bit of counter-point...

I haven't reall ALL the posts, but just so that we are clear on one point that seems to have been missed...

The TIME issue was on 'The New Frugality", right?

Can you imagine the furor that would erupt if they had paid $5000 for the image, and someone found a similar one on a microstock site for $5?

Very much an "eat your own dog food" kinda thing.

But there are still issues worthy of the discussion - no ducking that.

I just read that, as in your post, and I must admit, I get a chuckle out of it. 

What if they'd paid the man at least 200 for his pic though?  No shit storm.  =P

Jul 26 09 09:39 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Anomalia Chin wrote:

Ugh.  It's only flawed in your mind because you fail to comprehend it.  It is a failure.  Honestly, read what you wrote, and understand why I took it personally. 

If you wanted it to be read a certain way, then don't write it as if you're appealing to a high schooler.

The " you don't agree with me because you can't understand me" is an example of circular reasoning, and one I haven't seen since high school, so your last sentence is quite apt.

Jul 26 09 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

I laugh at anyone who is "certified" because it means they spent a bunch of money for nothing.

I need to get certified!!!  I bet that will change everything!!

Jul 26 09 09:41 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

You know, by the by, Mr. Barrington was not the only one writing questionable things about this site... Some of them are really just out of line.

Jul 26 09 09:41 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

slave to the lens wrote:

The " you don't agree with me because you can't understand me" is an example of circular reasoning, and one I haven't seen since high school, so your last sentence is quite apt.

If you say so.  I'm done with you.

Jul 26 09 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

The REAL winner here is iStock. This is fabulous publicity.

Jul 26 09 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Brian_McKenzie

Dallas, Texas, US

Ray Holyer wrote:
They didn't use the image because it was cheap, they used it to sell the magazine.

The above post was the only one in this thread that got right to the point as to the reality of the situation without all the B.S.
If you don't want a image being bought by a big company for $30.00 then don't upload it to I-Stock Photo.

Jul 26 09 09:51 am Link

Photographer

JWB2

Evansville, Indiana, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

Yes I realize who he is. Doesn't matter, its still a whiny rant. You'd think he would be above that kind of thing.

The more I read you posts the better I like you.  There is no bull shit about you.

Jul 26 09 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

BREAKING NEWS guys and gals!!!!!!!

according to UPEYE/ROOTERS, Time Ink, in an effort to save more money than before has contacted a number of first grade classrooms in Calfornia and is using the students for future cover illustrations. Reportedly the next cover article about the war in Afghanistan was illustrated by little 7 year old Jesus Hernadenez of La Mesa's Lincoln Elementary.   The young man was rewarded for his cover art with a box of 24 assorted crayons.

https://i29.tinypic.com/2csa2vr.jpg

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Lumigraphics wrote:
The REAL winner here is iStock. This is fabulous publicity.

And a real looser for photographers.

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

Gibson Photo Art wrote:
I wonder if this issue was brought up. That if iStock had been really aware of who was buying this image they would have tried to get more money as well. They lost out as well on this deal.

Now that Time have used an iStock image on their cover there will be many other publications who will consider it.

iStock would probably have paid Time to use the image if they had been asked to do so.

Jul 26 09 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Cyberhawk Studios

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

Let me see if I have this straight........photographers are upset because other photographers are selling their images for less, thus degrading the industry?

I can agree with that........but on the other hand how many of those same photographers (in America) drive BMWs, Volkswagens, KIAs, and any other car built in some other country, thus degrading the auto industry in America.

I see it all the time in the aircraft industry.....union machinists go on strike to increase their pay, yet drive home from the factory in their foreign made car.

Seems people only want to complain when it hurts their pocketbook, and to hell with everyone else.

Jul 26 09 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Adam William King

Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

Anomalia Chin wrote:

And I do know that.  I could speak to a couple of them about this, and they would agree, in fact, some of them are agreeing with me on this topic.  They don't think the little guy should be making little bucks for his work either.

Why do you think its acceptable?

Meh, its only personal if you're offended.

Riiight, so I can say, you're 5'3 and have no shot in mainstream modeling anyways
but its only personal if you take it that way?

Personal attacks are personal attacks.

Jul 26 09 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Imageri by Tim Davis

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Gibson Photo Art wrote:

To John Harrington. Since you obviously read these threads. Nice job asshole. Way to make professional photographers look like whiny babies. Blaming everyone else for your shrinking business just shows how insecure you are in your abilities.

Your not serious are you? Have you actually looked at his work? There is a reason he gets paid the money he does. His images are spot on. What the man is trying to say is when you give things away that companies normally pay a premium for you devalue every ones work as a whole. And is you expect to be paid as he does lift your game to that level.

The man is capturing live action in sharp vivid color correct images. Something people here aren't accomplishing with stages posed strobe lit shots. And you can roast me all you want. I'm speaking the truth.

Jul 26 09 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Hugh Alison wrote:
Now that Time have used an iStock image on their cover there will be many other publications who will consider it.

iStock would probably have paid Time to use the image if they had been asked to do so.

Umm, many, many publications, including Time, have been using stock images on their covers and in their articles for decades. Same is true for advertising and commercial projects. This is hardly new, or news.

Edit: BTW, wonder if anyone knows that historians tend to agree that most of the imagery and artwork used on the American dollar bill was initially found and derived out of an old line art book printed in Europe... kind of like one of the first/original stock image books ever printed. wink

Jul 26 09 10:17 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

Adam King wrote:

Riiight, so I can say, you're 5'3 and have no shot in mainstream modeling anyways
but its only personal if you take it that way?

Personal attacks are personal attacks.

Why on earth would i want to do mainstream modeling?  I love art. 

I couldn't care less if that was your approach.

Jul 26 09 10:19 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

Also gotta point out here that you're persisting with trying to find a place to dig your claws in.  Let it go, and get back on topic.

Jul 26 09 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Patchouli Nyx wrote:
BREAKING NEWS guys and gals!!!!!!!

according to UPEYE/ROOTERS, Time Ink, in an effort to save more money than before has contacted a number of first grade classrooms in Calfornia and is using the students for future cover illustrations. Reportedly the next cover article about the war in Afghanistan was illustrated by little 7 year old Jesus Hernadenez of La Mesa's Lincoln Elementary.   The young man was rewarded for his cover art with a box of 24 assorted crayons.

https://i29.tinypic.com/2csa2vr.jpg

Don't you think it's insulting to Robert Lam to compare his photo to your fake 7 year old's drawing?

Jul 26 09 10:21 am Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:

I need to get certified!!!  I bet that will change everything!!

I used to be certified, but they released me anyway:)

Jul 26 09 10:22 am Link