Model

StephenE

Great Neck, New York, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

Possibly the most sensible post I've seen in this forum in months.

you don't read many of my posts do you?  tongue

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Sep 03 09 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

StephenE wrote:
you don't read many of my posts do you?  tongue

Stephen Eastwood

Haha! I read some. Sometimes I agree. Sometimes I don't. wink

Mostly I agree.

If anybody at Canon listens to you, I have two requests I'd like you to pass along:

1. An interlock on the mode dial. I've been really wanting one of those ever since I switched to Canon in 2003. About four times a year I have some shots ruined because the dial got moved when changing lenses or pulling my camera out of the bag. This should be a no-brainer. Heck, my $200 N2000 from 1989 (I bought it brand new) had this.

2. A 55mm f/1.2 EF-S USM telephoto lens. It's about time somebody introduced a portrait lens for the APS format, don't you think?

The 7D would appear to answer my other Canon complaints. wink

Sep 03 09 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
real fast sample video handheld with horrible form  hmm

thank god for pretty models, makes everything seem better.  wink

http://www.vimeo.com/6404469

Stephen Eastwood

That's amazing! (not so much for content - lol), but for what I expected - a different look and perspective then a regular video camera would render. It reminds me more of cinema then video.

Very sweet, dude!

Sep 03 09 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

The noise has "nice" character. To my eye, similar to the Nikon D700. More noise, to be sure, but similar in character and nicer then many other camera's.

If an image is going to be noisy, it might as well be good noise.

Sep 03 09 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Gregg Zaun

San Diego, California, US

Thanks for posting.  What would be really interesting is to see photos of the same subject from both the 7d and 5d with the exif data stripped and the images not titles.  Then see if people can really tell the difference between a FF image and a crop sensor.  It would probablly have to be limited to iso 400 or 800 but it would still make for a good test.

Sep 03 09 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What is your experience on focusing speed and accuracy under very low light/near dark conditions? I was shooting outdoor last night and my 40d had trouble focusing on spots that my friend's d300 (with sigma lens) had no issues with.

Sep 04 09 04:44 am Link

Photographer

inTempus

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

Some new tests have been done by the good folks at Imaging Resource

It would appear the new 7D stomps a mud hole in the chest of the D300 at high ISO and approaches the performance of the 5DMk2 up to ISO 6400.  Here's a sample:

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/Kwanon/Untitled-5copy.jpg

That's impressive.  That puts the 7D solidly ahead of the D300 in IQ at high ISO.

Check it out against the 5DMk2.

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/Kwanon/7d6400.jpg

Now the 5D2:

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/Kwanon/5dii6400.jpg

That's freaking impressive. 

I would say Canon hit this one out of the park.

Sep 04 09 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Keith A Williams

Vanceboro, North Carolina, US

Stephen-  What is your opinion about the weather sealing?  That could very well be a deal maker for me.

Sep 04 09 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

the D300 really only goes up to 3200, so it doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Its weird that the face is so blurry in comparison to the collar. focus was off?
I still prefer the look and color of D300 at 3200 and under

Sep 04 09 10:45 am Link

Photographer

inTempus

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

I think the D300 looks way too orange. But then I've never liked Nikons color rendering, it's over saturated generally IMHO.  With Canon the colors are more neutral.  If you're shooting straight out of camera and doing no post work, I can see perhaps preferring the over saturated look of Nikon.  But I don't shoot in JPG, I shoot in RAW and I edit every one of my images to taste.  Canon images make my job easier -- *for me*.  Others feel differently obviously.

Sep 04 09 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

it may depend on your monitor. I'm on a calibrated H-IPS monitor and the nikon image looks fine, with a slight warm push. And this is a wide gamut display so colors tend to look oversaturated. the canon looks dark.
I assume thats a redheaded wig, but it looks brunette to me on the canon samples

Sep 04 09 11:28 am Link

Photographer

MC 2

New York, New York, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

Haha! I read some. Sometimes I agree. Sometimes I don't. wink

Mostly I agree.

If anybody at Canon listens to you, I have two requests I'd like you to pass along:

1. An interlock on the mode dial. I've been really wanting one of those ever since I switched to Canon in 2003. About four times a year I have some shots ruined because the dial got moved when changing lenses or pulling my camera out of the bag. This should be a no-brainer. Heck, my $200 N2000 from 1989 (I bought it brand new) had this.

2. A 55mm f/1.2 EF-S USM telephoto lens. It's about time somebody introduced a portrait lens for the APS format, don't you think?

The 7D would appear to answer my other Canon complaints. wink

Other than the 5mm difference, how would that lens be different from the 50 1.2?

I bet your first request could be done electronically, through firmware. It's not as idea as a physical lock, but maybe more realistic.

Sep 04 09 11:38 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Moderator Warning!
No brand arguments please.

Leo - Moderator

Sep 04 09 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Thom Bone

Shoreline, Washington, US

Please, can you tell us what lenses you used?

Sep 04 09 11:39 am Link

Photographer

mendesm

Boston, Massachusetts, US

MC 2 wrote:

Other than the 5mm difference, how would that lens be different from the 50 1.2?

I bet your first request could be done electronically, through firmware. It's not as idea as a physical lock, but maybe more realistic.

The EF 50mm is the equivalent of an 80mm on a crop sensor, which the 7d has.
The EF-S 55mm is a real 55m on a crop sensor.

Sep 04 09 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
comparisons:
http://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/iso_comp_7/

Some where there's a dentist smiling because all that sugar is what makes him able to afford the new camera.

Sep 04 09 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Garrett Sanders

Bloomington, Illinois, US

mendesm wrote:

Please note that EF-S lenses still have a conversion factor (1.6) to 35mm equivalent.

Sep 04 09 11:48 am Link

Photographer

inTempus

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

Yingwah Productions wrote:
it may depend on your monitor. I'm on a calibrated H-IPS monitor and the nikon image looks fine, with a slight warm push. And this is a wide gamut display so colors tend to look oversaturated. the canon looks dark.
I assume thats a redheaded wig, but it looks brunette to me on the canon samples

I work only an a calibrated monitor that I keep calibrated every week.

I would say it's more light brown than red given every other camera in the pro-sumer category like the A900 shows it being the same color as the 7D and 5D.  Only the Nikon makes it look redish/orange. 

The other bodies also look "darker" than the Nikons.  I think the Nikon brightens things too much.

I find it hard to believe only Nikon got it right and everyone else got it wrong.  Example:

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/Kwanon/Picture4.png

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/Kwanon/Picture5.png

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/Kwanon/Picture6.png

Sep 04 09 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eduardo Frances

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

mendesm wrote:

An  EF-S 55mm would have an equivalent crop of field view of 88mm the only difference between EF-S and EF is that the EF-S produces a smaller image projection that it would produce mechanical vignetting on a full frame sensor (although you can´t and you shouldn´t be mounting EF-S lenses in full frame cameras).

The idea behind EF-S and other brands crop sensor designed lenses is that in order to produce wider focal lengths at a reduced costs you can design lenses that produce a smaller image projection that covers just about the size of the APS-C sensor (or 4/3 sensor in Olympus case), since you are using less materials (less glass in all the optical formula as an example) the manufacturer can reduce the costs thus being able to offer them cheaper than the equivalent lens made for full frame cameras (which use more materials because they need to project a larger image circle).

Sep 04 09 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

mendesm

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Eduardo Frances wrote:

An  EF-S 55mm would have an equivalent crop of field view of 88mm the only difference between EF-S and EF is that the EF-S produces a smaller image projection that it would produce mechanical vignetting on a full frame sensor (although you can´t and you shouldn´t be mounting EF-S lenses in full frame cameras).

The idea behind EF-S and other brands crop sensor designed lenses is that in order to produce wider focal lengths at a reduced costs you can design lenses that produce a smaller image projection that covers just about the size of the APS-C sensor (or 4/3 sensor in Olympus case), since you are using less materials (less glass in all the optical formula as an example) the manufacturer can reduce the costs thus being able to offer them cheaper than the equivalent lens made for full frame cameras (which use more materials because they need to project a larger image circle).

I stand corrected then!  smile

Sep 04 09 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Cre8tivNickname

Winchester, Virginia, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
the built in flash which can control a speedlite or groups of them is great!  it means you can take the body and one 580, 430, 550 and have off camera lighting with no extra units or controller.

This is great news and a long-overdue feature.

Sep 04 09 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Cre8tivNickname

Winchester, Virginia, US

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:
for those looking into the benifits of raw, check the latitude.

shot as is:  blown out from over powering low flash.
https://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/rs/THUMBNAILS/img_0001.jpg

pulled back in DPP
https://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/rs/THUMBNAILS/img_0001d.jpg

larger here  http://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/rs

Stephen Eastwood

Did you use highlight priority mode on that?

Sep 04 09 02:26 pm Link

Model

StephenE

Great Neck, New York, US

JT in VA wrote:

Did you use highlight priority mode on that?

no it was a human error, I fel'd on skin and then moved the light down.  it blew out.  I was curious as to the latitude of the raw (the 1ds has much, some others not as much) so I pulled it down in DPP to see what is there, ideally to save it it could be pulled back more and two or three conversions to blend exposures to even out the shot.  Not something you do on shoots on purpose, but nice to know the latitude is there when and if needed.

Stephen Eastwood

Sep 04 09 02:51 pm Link

Model

StephenE

Great Neck, New York, US

Keith A Williams wrote:
Stephen-  What is your opinion about the weather sealing?  That could very well be a deal maker for me.

hard to say, seems much like a slightly heavier 5D2, but with the flash I am not sure if that is sealed, maybe Canon has made that info known, I play more than I read what is written  tongue

Stephen Eastwood

Sep 04 09 02:59 pm Link

Model

StephenE

Great Neck, New York, US

PhotoByWayne wrote:
What is your experience on focusing speed and accuracy under very low light/near dark conditions? I was shooting outdoor last night and my 40d had trouble focusing on spots that my friend's d300 (with sigma lens) had no issues with.

It focuses faster than the 5D2, I don't have enough actual experience with a 40 or 50D in dark scenes to know how it compares to them.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

Sep 04 09 03:00 pm Link

Model

StephenE

Great Neck, New York, US

Thom Bone wrote:
Please, can you tell us what lenses you used?

70-200 2.8 IS and or the 24-105 4.0 IS

the 24-105 was the blond the 70-200 was Amy and the still life.  I was in a place where I did not have the room I would prefer to use the 70-200 inside with the extra crop.  So rather than keep jumping between cameras I stuck to one body and the 24-105 essentially being a
38-168mm  Short for me normally, but acceptable for body shots.  hmm

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

Sep 04 09 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

inTempus wrote:
I think the D300 looks way too orange. But then I've never liked Nikons color rendering, it's over saturated generally IMHO.  With Canon the colors are more neutral.  If you're shooting straight out of camera and doing no post work, I can see perhaps preferring the over saturated look of Nikon.  But I don't shoot in JPG, I shoot in RAW and I edit every one of my images to taste.  Canon images make my job easier -- *for me*.  Others feel differently obviously.

And yes, for me it is the other way around plus many more.

Do not try to use 3rd party RAW converter to compare colors.
  You should try convert RAW files from their manufactures.

Sep 04 09 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

MC 2 wrote:

The 50 1.2L is a normal design. The lens I'm requesting would be a telephoto, designed specifically for portraiture. Normals typically have very harsh bokeh (the quality of the out-of-focus areas), and 50 really is too short.

More realistic? A physical lock is the only way to accomplish what I'm asking for, and it's a very simple thing to build.

Sep 04 09 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Well, I was looking for a used 5d as a 3rd camera and a back up for my 5dII when shooting weddings.  I was hoping for the fabled 3d (cheaper FF) but it doesn't look like canon is going to come out with that anytime soon.  I am just about to put myself on the waiting list for this camera. 
It looks like with the high iso capabilities I can use it for low light and sports.  Thanks Stephen for the information.

ps.  do you predict a 3d in the future?

Sep 04 09 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

MC Rock

New York, New York, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

The 50 1.2L is a normal design. The lens I'm requesting would be a telephoto, designed specifically for portraiture. Normals typically have very harsh bokeh (the quality of the out-of-focus areas), and 50 really is too short.

More realistic? A physical lock is the only way to accomplish what I'm asking for, and it's a very simple thing to build.

Weren't you asking for a 55mm lens?

Sep 04 09 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Brian T Rickey wrote:
Well, I was looking for a used 5d as a 3rd camera and a back up for my 5dII when shooting weddings.  I was hoping for the fabled 3d (cheaper FF) but it doesn't look like canon is going to come out with that anytime soon.  I am just about to put myself on the waiting list for this camera. 
It looks like with the high iso capabilities I can use it for low light and sports.  Thanks Stephen for the information.

A Canon "3D" would be more expensive than the 5D, not cheaper. Canon's naming convention has larger numbers representing lower price points.

1D
5D
7D
50D
500D
1000D

Sep 04 09 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Stephen, based on your personal experience and knowledge of the 7D and the 5D MKII, which would you prefer as your #1 camera for the work you do? I'm sure there may be a better camera you would consider but just from these two, which is your personal pick?

Sep 04 09 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

MC Rock wrote:
Weren't you asking for a 55mm lens?

Yes. Essentially a scaled-down 85mm portrait lens.

Sep 04 09 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Stephen Melvin wrote:

A Canon "3D" would be more expensive than the 5D, not cheaper. Canon's naming convention has larger numbers representing lower price points.

1D
5D
7D
50D
500D
1000D

I was going off the numbers Kevin uses over on Northern Light.  What ever the number may be, I was wondering if Canon was producing a FF a step lower than the 5dII.

Sep 04 09 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Brian T Rickey wrote:

sadly I have to refrain from making predictions as they often get taken as some inside info, which is not as bad as if I just wildly predict and then it comes true and looks like I leaked info  neutral

Stephen Eastwood

Sep 04 09 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Cogito Ergo Zoom wrote:
Stephen, based on your personal experience and knowledge of the 7D and the 5D MKII, which would you prefer as your #1 camera for the work you do? I'm sure there may be a better camera you would consider but just from these two, which is your personal pick?

for what I do normally the 5d2 since its more resolution and noise is similar.  If I shoot in low light (not necessarily high iso, just low ambient to focus by) and need focus to be faster, maybe the 7D, and if I am traveling as light as I can I would say the built in speedlite control and extra reach is a benefit. So I would not hesitate taking the 7D, but as I normally am in places with plenty of light to focus by and using strobes (or small speedlites now-a-days) the 5D2 is what I take, though I still use the 1DS3 more often.  The 5D2 I pick up specifically if I plan to shoot above 400, which is so rare other than tests thats its not really a consideration.

Stephen Eastwood

Sep 04 09 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

StephenEastwood wrote:

sadly I have to refrain from making predictions as they often get taken as some inside info, which is not as bad as if I just wildly predict and then it comes true and looks like I leaked info  neutral

Stephen Eastwood

I understand.  The 7d looks like a fantastic edition.  Makes one wonder what the next Canon pro cameras are going to look like!  smile

Sep 04 09 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

for what I do normally the 5d2 since its more resolution and noise is similar.  If I shoot in low light (not necessarily high iso, just low ambient to focus by) and need focus to be faster, maybe the 7D, and if I am traveling as light as I can I would say the built in speedlite control and extra reach is a benefit. So I would not hesitate taking the 7D, but as I normally am in places with plenty of light to focus by and using strobes (or small speedlites now-a-days) the 5D2 is what I take, though I still use the 1DS3 more often.  The 5D2 I pick up specifically if I plan to shoot above 400, which is so rare other than tests thats its not really a consideration.

Stephen Eastwood

Thanks for the reply and the thread.

Sep 04 09 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Pete Tsai

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks a bunch for sharing Stephen, and thanks to Amy for blogging about this thread.

It seems like they've addressed a lot of my major complaints with my 5D2,  I'm actually a Nikon guy.  The one thing that only someone like you could answer would be the rear sync functionality.  Can you get rear sync via the pc sync port or are they still forcing only on-camera Canon flash rear-sync?  This, the AF, and weather sealing have been my pet peeves with my 5D2....

Sep 04 09 10:19 pm Link

Model

StephenE

Great Neck, New York, US

Pete Tsai wrote:
Thanks a bunch for sharing Stephen, and thanks to Amy for blogging about this thread.

It seems like they've addressed a lot of my major complaints with my 5D2,  I'm actually a Nikon guy.  The one thing that only someone like you could answer would be the rear sync functionality.  Can you get rear sync via the pc sync port or are they still forcing only on-camera Canon flash rear-sync?  This, the AF, and weather sealing have been my pet peeves with my 5D2....

only through the hotshoe ettl system. 

you can use a PW multimax and set the transmitter to delay for the shutter length to fire at the end of the exposure however.  Or you can set a delay on the receiver end to fire after a set time equal to the shutter speed.

Stephen Eastwood

Sep 04 09 10:48 pm Link