Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How does a retoucher find a agency

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

I know most retouchers here have worked for magazines or internet sites.How does one go about finding jobs with this. Because freelancing only gets me so far and i'm ready to work for magazines and other labels but i have no idea how.

Feb 10 10 02:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

They find you... Elite represents just about every creative in the fashion industry. I'm surprised they don't rep retouchers. Maybe you can send over your book and pitch them.

Feb 10 10 02:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Lanenga

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

btdsgn wrote:
They find you... Elite represents just about every creative in the fashion industry. I'm surprised they don't rep retouchers. Maybe you can send over your book and pitch them.

So far, they found me.

But yes, it would be good to have someone else representing your business so you don't have to do everything yourself.

@Btdsgn:
Who is representing you? Or also self represented?

Feb 10 10 03:47 pm Link

Retoucher

y2cute

San Francisco, California, US

try career builder or monster...i remember seeing ads for retouchers (actually, there is no job on those sites. they're agency or 3rd party companies screening & looking for people).

Feb 10 10 06:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

btdsgn wrote:

Retouching is generally considered a form of interactive media/IT, which is why you won't find modeling agencies repping retouchers. Many successful retouchers make the bigger bucks doing design work and illustration.

However, if you can network with the right photographers, you can usually get bigger and better gigs by tagging alongside more notorious names. Generally retouchers do best with commercial work and celebrities. Many of the biggest and best fashion photographers do their own retouching to retain full control of their images. Because retouching is considered a form of digital media, it helps if you have a background in design (with particular attention to publications, product packaging, and marketing materials). Certainly any additional knowledge you can attain in the field is an asset.

Alternatively, you can contact online mags or submit your resume to companies. This is very hit-or-miss, and many companies will require a degree. Having your own site to display your talents will help land those online and small magazine jobs.

Feb 10 10 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

Jordan Liberty wrote:
Retouching is generally considered a form of interactive media/IT, which is why you won't find major agencies repping retouchers. Many successful retouchers make the bigger bucks doing design work and illustration.

However, if you can network with the right photographers, you can usually get bigger and better gigs by tagging alongside more notorious names. Generally retouchers do best with commercial work and celebrities. Many of the biggest and best fashion photographers do their own retouching to retain full control of their images. Because retouching is considered a form of digital media, it helps if you have a background in design (with particular attention to publications, product packaging, and marketing materials). Certainly any additional knowledge you can attain in the field is an asset.

Alternatively, you can contact online mags or submit your resume to companies. This is very hit-or-miss, and many companies will require a degree. Having your own site to display your talents will help land those online and small magazine jobs.

This is very good information and to add to this. Digital Tech's double as retouchers in some cases. Also many photographers , who do consistent work will hire their personal retoucher to do all their retouching work, so that their style stays consistent, since they are using the same main team. This is not just true with people retouching ,but in product and automotive (lots of money) retouching as well.

- Phen

Feb 10 10 07:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Jordan Liberty wrote:
Many successful retouchers make the bigger bucks doing design work and illustration.

Then they are designers/Illustrators, not retouchers.

Jordan Liberty wrote:
Many of the biggest and best fashion photographers do their own retouching to retain full control of their images.

Simply NOT true

Jordan Liberty wrote:
Alternatively, you can contact online mags or submit your resume to companies.

I've NEVER worked for a magazine directly. Always with photographers.

Where are you getting your information ?

x

Feb 10 10 07:20 pm Link

Retoucher

y2cute

San Francisco, California, US

FYI. graphic design, illustration, and retouching aren't the same. I've seen ads looking for retoucher with a line like we are not looking for a graphic designer.

Feb 10 10 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

DAVfoto

New York, New York, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

Jordan Liberty wrote:
Many successful retouchers make the bigger bucks doing design work and illustration.

Jordan Liberty wrote:
Many of the biggest and best fashion photographers do their own retouching to retain full control of their images.

Simply NOT true

x

on the last quote.. some smaller magazines hire in house retouchers.  so thats party true. if the editorial is a submission as well then the photographer has got the entire staff entact. but sometimes when magazines go after the talent, they can and have chosen retouchers and not the photographer.

Feb 10 10 07:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Jordan Liberty wrote:
Retouching is generally considered a form of interactive media/IT, which is why you won't find modeling agencies repping retouchers. Many successful retouchers make the bigger bucks doing design work and illustration.

Modeling agencies don't rep retouchers because they don't… There's no reason why except they just don't.  It wasn't that long ago that Ford was only a modeling agency. Now they rep photographers, MUA, set designers, exc, just about everyone you need for a fashion shoot… I'm sure retouchers will end up there one day. Why not?

I have a rep for my graphic design , illustration, front end design work. The agencies or agents I can think of in these fields don't represent "retouchers." Higher end jobs usually have different types of designers, a background in layout design doesn't make you a "retoucher." Not only is it a different skill set it's not even using the same software . Illustrators don't necessarily work with Photoshop in fact you may have ones that rarely touch it depending on the type of illustration they do.

As far as my retouching work goes, I work through two different retouching houses as a contractor. One in LA (which is where most of my work comes from) and another in NYC. They both have high end bigger clients. I can tell you first hand that your statement about the bigger, better photographers  doing their own retouching is not even close to being true. They maintain control of their images by using retouchers who do what they want done. You'd also probably be surprised by the amount of freedom some "high end" photographers give retouchers.

I know Natalia disagreed above, but magazines do have in-house retouchers. In many cases although he might be a direct employee, he can also have his own company or work as a freelancer outside of the magazine. This is the case at Harpers (not a small rag) whose main retoucher is also Peter Lindberghs personal retoucher who also owns his own retouching house.

The only really good advice you gave was about networking… Make the right contacts and you'll go far.

Feb 10 10 10:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

Jordan Liberty wrote:

Jordan Liberty wrote:

Simply NOT true

x

1.  I am aware that a retoucher and illustrator are separate, my point being that many retouchers are multi-talented and generate a large amount of income from avenues outside of retouching.  In comparison to other graphic design positions, there are far fewer full-time retouchers, making a second ability an asset. Unfortunately for retouchers, many agencies don't consider retouching an original artistic medium (and let's be honest, it's a field grounded in alteration of other's work).

2.  More than half of the photographers (including many major names) I have worked with do their own retouching. I didn't say ALL photographers do their own, but I'm a little taken aback at your defensive (and confident) demeanor on this one. A few of the best fashion photographers I have done editorial work with do little to NO retouching (and their work is fantastic). I realize you think this is "NOT true," and for many photographers it isn't, but that doesn't make it a fact.

3.  My main point was to work directly with photographers, did you not read that part? However, many smaller online magazines and design houses accept resumes directly, certainly it's not a first choice - but please don't speak to me like an idiot for providing a valid alternate option.

To the OP: Take it or leave it, but I've worked with photographers and retouchers for years (and my degree is in graphic design). The FACT is, there are photographers that do their own retouching, having a second or third talent is always a great selling point, and while working directly with photographers is always preferable, I have several friends that either work for smaller publications (online and print) or retouch for them and have on occasion hired or received work from direct contact. Certainly if Natalia has advices for you, I would not discount them, but similarly I hope you found my post helpful. To Natalia: I'm just trying to help here, I realize you disagree with my observations, but I'm not sure where you're getting your information, either. Let's agree to disagree on this one and call it a day, because I'm not about to start a war with you defending things I have witnessed as facts.

Feb 10 10 11:32 pm Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

Eh from what i see i have to be Multi Talented in order to make any decent amount of cash.I'd simply just be a great retoucher...Why is it necessary for me to get into Graphics etc.

Feb 11 10 12:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

P A P A R A Z Z I  wrote:
Eh from what i see i have to be Multi Talented in order to make any decent amount of cash.I'd simply just be a great retoucher...Why is it necessary for me to get into Graphics etc.

Ugh....I NEVER said it was necessary. However, it's a great ASSET to have additional skills as retouching is not the easiest field to get into if you're looking to make great (and steady) full-time money. This applies to a lot of creative jobs. How many photographers have other jobs when they start - makeup artists - models. Please read the entire post carefully before taking things out of context. My main point in both posts was that networking with photographers is key, but it seems every other valid suggestion outside of that is getting the brunt of attention.

If you want I can tell you what you WANT to hear (as most modelmayhemers do): retouch for a few photographers and network and you can retouch full time and make six figures a year. Don't invest in any other skills, and certainly don't network with publications and magazines that hire in-house retouchers. Maybe if I sugar coated it to begin with, we'd be in good standing.

Feb 11 10 12:10 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Peter Lindbergs retoucher was retouching images about 6 years ago for $12 per hour working at a photography studio in Miami for 3 photographers. Today he owns one of the bigger retouching houses in NYC, and has some of the biggest fashion clients in the world. Oh did I mention he's a millionaire? smile

So you don't have to be multi-talented (although it can only help) you just need to be good at what you do and not try to make a living retouching on MM.

Feb 11 10 12:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

btdsgn wrote:
Modeling agencies don't rep retouchers because they don't… There's no reason why except they just don't.  It wasn't that long ago that Ford was only a modeling agency. Now they rep photographers, MUA, set designers, exc, just about everyone you need for a fashion shoot… I'm sure retouchers will end up there one day. Why not?

Retouching is a form of alteration. Agencies cater more to original work. Don't shoot the messenger, but they aren't ignoring retouchers 'just because.' I'll say it a dozen times over...retouching is considered a computer skill, even though it requires some level of artistic skill.

Feb 11 10 12:14 am Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

btdsgn wrote:

Peter Lindbergs retoucher was retouching images about 6 years ago for $12 per hour working at a photography studio in Miami for 3 photographers. Today he owns one of the bigger retouching houses in NYC, and has some of the biggest fashion clients in the world. Oh did I mention he's a millionaire? smile

So you don't have to be multi-talented (although it can only help) you just need to be good at what you do and not try to make a living retouching on MM.

Well that lifted my spirits. thats for sure. Thank you:)

Jordan Liberty wrote:

Ugh....I NEVER said it was necessary. However, it's a great ASSET to have additional skills as retouching is not the easiest field to get into if you're looking to make great (and steady) full-time money. This applies to a lot of creative jobs. How many photographers have other jobs when they start - makeup artists - models. Please read the entire post carefully before taking things out of context. My main point in both posts was that networking with photographers is key, but it seems every other valid suggestion outside of that is getting the brunt of attention.

If you want I can tell you what you WANT to hear (as most modelmayhemers do): retouch for a few photographers and network and you can retouch full time and make six figures a year. Don't invest in any other skills, and certainly don't network with publications and magazines that hire in-house retouchers. Maybe if I sugar coated it to begin with, we'd be in good standing.

As for you.... I was not taking it out of context in fact it wasnt really directed towards you. I've been hearing that alot lately that it would be a great asset to know other skills. which im not against learning. I'd just "Prefer" to stick to retouching. me personally im not very good at switching between things. i used to do Graphic Design when i was 15-18. I was doing all sorts of work getting paid from different people. Then i was introduced to retouching. Now i can't do any design to save my ass. I'm sure it would be great to do i'm not stressing that i " Need " it i'd just prefer to not do so.

I've been spending all week practicing Graphics because its a obvious asset that i probably need if not at least able to meld some of what i learn into the retouching i do.

Oh and thumbs up for being oh so kind to tell me what i wanted to hear not what i needed to hear that was helpful im sure hmm

Feb 11 10 12:20 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Well that lifted my spirits. thats for sure. Thank you:)

Just remember he's probably the exception not the rule... However you can make a decent living as a (good) retoucher.

Feb 11 10 12:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

btdsgn wrote:

Just remember he's probably the exception not the rule... However you can make a decent living as a (good) retoucher.

+1 I totally agree! Nothing is impossible, just keep your options open and never stop learning, but unrealistic expectations only hurt you in the end. And hey, if design doesn't work for you - try something else -- or really get in there and network harder with your retouching. I'm not trying to discourage you!

Feb 11 10 12:27 am Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thankyou everyone. I'm just trying to make it as a retoucher lol. I don't want to turn this thread into a pity party for me.I'm just a lowly College student and his Trusty laptop and a Dream. every good retoucher i go to has a credit list full  of magazines, websites, popular celebs or photographers. Thats what i want. i was just curious as to how i'd go about getting there. like Natalia (hope i spelled that right) Her credits amaze me everyday i look at them. i only wish i could one day have a background that established.

Feb 11 10 12:32 am Link

Retoucher

Virtuoso Skins

Asheville, North Carolina, US

This is a great and really needed thread here.

I've been debating weather to pimp myself out to agencies. Or try to get the attention of some of the big guns in photography.

I do pretty well purely freelance retouching, but I like to know my options.

Ideally, since the art is important to me, I like dealing with people. Corporations, not so much.

So if someone out there does do retouching for agencies, do your mind sharing a range of rates you get paid?

Feb 11 10 12:52 am Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'd like to know that as well.

Feb 11 10 12:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Virtuoso Skins

Been thinking about this... do any of you have agents that represent you?

Feb 11 10 04:57 pm Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

Good question. I'd like to see some responses

Feb 14 10 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Vanishing Point Ent

Los Angeles, California, US

How does a retoucher find a agency ?

He goes to the Photo Shop.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Good Question though.

What about looking in " Layers " Magazine ?

Maybe N.A.P.P.;
National Association of Photoshop Professionals can help.

Feb 14 10 02:45 pm Link

Retoucher

Lanenga

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Virtuoso Skins wrote:
Been thinking about this... do any of you have agents that represent you?

I started a thread on this topic recently but had only 1 serious response

Feb 14 10 06:00 pm Link

Retoucher

Aphoristic Precise

Its extremely difficult to snag representation if you are a digital artist without a history of being able to find work for yourself regularly, and I'd imagine it wouldn't help either if the "broke ass college student" or "frazzled and lactating new mother" or "tortured artist" mentality radiates across in the correspondence you have with the people offering the work. I don't think there's a magic number, but from everyone I've talked to that has a rep its along the timeline of 2-4 years.

I have representation from an almost exclusive syndication agent; its perfect for me because I am hardly ever overworked and she wouldn't have time to overwork me anyway because its not her primary business.

My advice would be to hit up a firm that represents a conglomerate of artists and ask to pass your information along to them (make up people, photo people, all need perfect photographs). Its a rather sneaky way to get your foot in the door without asking for the impossible.

Feb 14 10 06:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Virtuoso Skins

Thank you AP.

Personally I have no trouble making a living freelancing as a retoucher. I'm mainly trying to get a feel for all my options.

Pre-fashion/beauty retouching, I did a lot of work for ad agencies or direct to corperations. I even usurped a agency once, that was fun smile

So I'm hoping someone throws some concepts on how they work things that will give me some insights on my next step smile

I do appreciate the response though, thank you. Surprisingly not a lot of real feedback on this topic.

Feb 14 10 08:34 pm Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm still curious

Feb 20 10 09:38 am Link

Retoucher

Designer Photos

Rochester, New York, US

Thank you OP for this post I have been wondering this for a while!

Feb 20 10 09:52 am Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bringing this back

Mar 04 10 07:21 am Link

Retoucher

Elite Retouch

New York, New York, US

Virtuoso Skins wrote:
So if someone out there does do retouching for agencies, do your mind sharing a range of rates you get paid?

Not agency represented (as I'm not aware of any agencies that do), but I have been contracted by modeling agencies to do work on models images before their comp cards were put into production.

All batch work, of course...and there were SOME cosmetic alterations that they wanted performed. As far as price...I charged my normal batch retouching fee and they paid no problem.

Mar 04 10 08:16 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Elite Retouch wrote:

Not agency represented (as I'm not aware of any agencies that do), but I have been contracted by modeling agencies to do work on models images before their comp cards were put into production.

All batch work, of course...and there were SOME cosmetic alterations that they wanted performed. As far as price...I charged my normal batch retouching fee and they paid no problem.

I just looked at your portfolio to see if your rates were listed there.... I didn't see them but I did notice in your copy it says "If you are interested please feel free to contact us, and you can be on your way to making your images apart of the Elite." You might want to change "apart" to "a part" since that changes the whole meaning of that sentence.

Mar 04 10 02:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Felice Fawn Retouching

London, England, United Kingdom

Wow, we got some fire up in here that's for sure. Interesting thread, interesting responses. Good topic.

Mar 06 10 12:12 pm Link

Retoucher

Elite Retouch

New York, New York, US

btdsgn wrote:

I just looked at your portfolio to see if your rates were listed there.... I didn't see them but I did notice in your copy it says "If you are interested please feel free to contact us, and you can be on your way to making your images apart of the Elite." You might want to change "apart" to "a part" since that changes the whole meaning of that sentence.

Thank you for pointing out that typo. Mistakes happen lol.

Mar 07 10 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Chicago is a sizable publishing market. If it's anything like New York there must be plenty of agencies representing production artists. If all you can do is retouch, that will hamper you. If you are an expert in the big three Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign/Quark? (does anyone still use QuarkEXpress???), then you're far more marketable. They will test you.

Mar 08 10 07:47 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Le Beck Photography wrote:
Chicago is a sizable publishing market. If it's anything like New York there must be plenty of agencies representing production artists. If all you can do is retouch, that will hamper you. If you are an expert in the big three Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign/Quark? (does anyone still use QuarkEXpress???), then you're far more marketable. They will test you.

I strongly disagree.

IMHO a retoucher doesn't have to be a designer.

In fact... I wouldn't hire a retoucher who does design on the side, usually what you look for is an expert and is not common to be an expert on both retouching and design.

x

Mar 08 10 08:45 am Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
I strongly disagree.

In fact... I wouldn't hire a retoucher who does design on the side, usually what you look for is an expert and is not common to be an expert on both retouching and design.

x

I love Natalia, raised my spirits for the day lol

Mar 08 10 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

I know most retouchers here have worked for magazines or internet sites.How does one go about finding jobs with this. Because freelancing only gets me so far and i'm ready to work for magazines and other labels but i have no idea how.

I work with 3 med-size agencys..  Now these are advertising  agencys.  (Not model agencys)   Retouching is not one of the big things in conversation..  If something needs cleaned up,,  it usually is done before the agency,   goes into final layout.. On some accounts  there is NO retouching.......   On hard items,  the retouching is the same as it has been for 50 years.. Clean up chrome,  Size-Shape-distort  etc.    All retouching is done in house  (my studio) 

We do NOT  retouch  people that are featured in an ad.

Retouching for  portraits,  is another thing..

Mar 08 10 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Dreamscape Creative

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

I strongly disagree.

x

Why not?  We're in an economy (or at least I am) where super talented artisans can't find sufficient work with just one skill.  There are doctors flipping burgers, for goodness sake.  You yourself come from a designer background, according to your profile.  You just happen to be fortunate enough and found the right connections to get to the point where it works for you to be a specialist.  There's a waiting line to do what you do for pay, but there are also plenty of people who do it just as well as you and I or any other famed retoucher can do it.  I've seen plenty of that on this forum, alone.  These same people are doing retouches on your level for chump change.  If I had the luxury of enough people interested in one of my skillsets, maybe I could focus on one thing.  But I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Maybe it's my geography, I don't know.  Even though it's something I can do remotely, people can still be weird about not having you be physically accessible.

I'm not trying to pick on you, I think you're really good.  But I don't fault anyone for having to diversify to survive.

Mar 08 10 11:06 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Dreamscape Creative wrote:

Why not?  We're in an economy (or at least I am) where super talented artisans can't find sufficient work with just one skill.  There are doctors flipping burgers, for goodness sake.  You yourself come from a designer background, according to your profile.  You just happen to be fortunate enough and found the right connections to get to the point where it works for you to be a specialist.  There's a waiting line to do what you do for pay, but there are also plenty of people who do it just as well as you and I or any other famed retoucher can do it.  I've seen plenty of that on this forum, alone.  These same people are doing retouches on your level for chump change.  If I had the luxury of enough people interested in one of my skillsets, maybe I could focus on one thing.  But I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Maybe it's my geography, I don't know.  Even though it's something I can do remotely, people can still be weird about not having you be physically accessible.

I'm not trying to pick on you, I think you're really good.  But I don't fault anyone for having to diversify to survive.

Can you link me to ONE retoucher doing what I do for less that 100 USD an image?
x

Mar 08 10 12:42 pm Link