Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > License for make up artist

Makeup Artist

Aleksandra Ambrozy

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Hi everyone, I have a questions. Do you need a license to apply make up? If yes, in which states and what does it apply to? I am confused.
thanks!

Jul 03 06 11:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

In *most* states you only need to have a licence to apply makeup in a salon/spa enviorment. Doing freelance work outside of that (photoshoots, retail work, weddings etc) is legal. Although its best to check with your local laws to be sure. Im fairly sure ny state and a few others have just made laws requiring all muas to have it.

Jul 03 06 11:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Aleksandra Ambrozy

Printmakeup wrote:
In *most* states you only need to have a licence to apply makeup in a salon/spa enviorment. Doing freelance work outside of that (photoshoots, retail work, weddings etc) is legal. Although its best to check with your local laws to be sure. Im fairly sure ny state and a few others have just made laws requiring all muas to have it.

How and where do you get such license? Is it the same license as you get after cosmetology school?
Is certificate from a make up school not enough? I went to MUD in NYC....
A

Jul 03 06 11:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

in most states you need a cosmetology license to do makeup for paid compensation anywhere.  The exception is Ca.  If you are in CA in the entertainment industry you are exempt, not exempt for brides etc.

Check the state licensing board in your state, most have websites. 

Keep in mind that very few makeup artists have a license of any kind, It's just not something the State can enforce with the man power it has.  The problem comes should you ever be sued by a client.....You were practicing without the State license and thats going to be a HUGE mark against you, you will face financial ruin should that ever happen....You can not obtain liability insurance as a makeupl artist without a cosmetology license.  The makeup schools give you a certificate, you might as well just buy one of the internet for all the good that will ever do you in any area....not one iota will a certificate help you.

Jul 04 06 12:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Aleksandra Ambrozy

Mary wrote:
in most states you need a cosmetology license to do makeup for paid compensation anywhere.  The exception is Ca.  If you are in CA in the entertainment industry you are exempt, not exempt for brides etc.

Keep in mind that very few makeup artists have a license of any kind, It's just not something the State can enforce with the man power it has.  The problem comes should you ever be sued by a client.....You were practicing without the State license and thats going to be a HUGE mark against you, you will face financial ruin should that ever happen....You can not obtain liability insurance as a makeupl artist without a cosmetology license.  The makeup schools give you a certificate, you might as well just buy one of the internet for all the good that will ever do you in any area....not one iota will a certificate help you.

So to get certificate like that you would have to go to cosmetology school and then get the certificate? I am sorry it might be stupid question,but I am new to this industry.
we have learned in school all the safety and sanitation rules...that's why I thought the certifiacte would be enough....but I guess not...sad(

Jul 04 06 12:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

I have an estheticians....and it covers skin care, waxing, and makeup......

Jul 04 06 12:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

AleksandraGo wrote:

So to get certificate like that you would have to go to cosmetology school and then get the certificate? I am sorry it might be stupid question,but I am new to this industry.
we have learned in school all the safety and sanitation rules...that's why I thought the certifiacte would be enough....but I guess not...sad(

It sucks that schools fail to mention that their certificates are useless, someday  one of them  will be sued for misguiding people. 

You have to have a COSMETOLOGY LICENSE.  Thats a lot of money and a lot of time but thats what you have to do to be an artist legally in most States.   Check with your state board of Cosmetology, they  have a list of licensed Cosmetology schools.  You do not need the entire hair cutting, chemical coloring etc...you need the Estheticians course and I believe its about 4 months instead of 9

Jul 04 06 12:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Cool Artist2005 wrote:
I have an estheticians....and it covers skin care, waxing, and makeup......

I was typing as you were smile    How long is the Course and how much?

Jul 04 06 12:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kiridescence

I'm so glad you posted this Aleksandra, i was wondering about it myself. It seems that here in PA you can have just a "cosmetician" liscence if you are only doing make up, which requires 300 hours. Here is a link to the state page on the subject:

http://www.dos.state.pa.us/bpoa/cwp/vie … 4&q=432561

I don't know how reliable this is, but i have heard that in PA if you use brushes, sponges, etc. to apply make up and not your hands, it is acceptable, but i am not certain.

I'm gonna be going to design school full time this fall, otherwise i'd be getting my liscence right away, so i probably will be taking very limited work only with people i trust and who trust me to be safe. I was taught make up hygiene practices by a liscenced esthetician so i know i am safe but that won't do me any good if a scammer  or crazy person decides to sue me. Next summer my plan is to get my liscence in NY state, because if i get it there i think it has reciprocity in PA and possibly NJ, although i think NY requires 600 hours for an esthetician. It is a pain though, because we are only doing make up, and i know beauty school's focus very little on this. We MUA's really don't need to learn how to wax and do facials. Let me know how things work out for you :}

Thank you Mary, i was actually curious whether i should continue to do make up at all for now and if these schools touched on the subject of liscencing; how can they teach you to be a make up artist and not even tell you you need another 300-600 hours + more $$ to get a liscence, OY!

Jul 04 06 08:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Kiridescence wrote:
I'm so glad you posted this Aleksandra, i was wondering about it myself. It seems that here in PA you can have just a "cosmetician" liscence if you are only doing make up, which requires 300 hours. Here is a link to the state page on the subject:

http://www.dos.state.pa.us/bpoa/cwp/vie … 4&q=432561

I don't know how reliable this is, but i have heard that in PA if you use brushes, sponges, etc. to apply make up and not your hands, it is acceptable, but i am not certain.

I'm gonna be going to design school full time this fall, otherwise i'd be getting my liscence right away, so i probably will be taking very limited work only with people i trust and who trust me to be safe. I was taught make up hygiene practices by a liscenced esthetician so i know i am safe but that won't do me any good if a scammer  or crazy person decides to sue me. Next summer my plan is to get my liscence in NY state, because if i get it there i think it has reciprocity in PA and possibly NJ, although i think NY requires 600 hours for an esthetician. It is a pain though, because we are only doing make up, and i know beauty school's focus very little on this. We MUA's really don't need to learn how to wax and do facials. Let me know how things work out for you :}

Thank you Mary, i was actually curious whether i should continue to do make up at all for now and if these schools touched on the subject of liscencing; how can they teach you to be a make up artist and not even tell you you need another 300-600 hours + more $$ to get a liscence, OY!

in my opinion most of the schools are useless... What they teach you is useless (with a few exceptions)  Unless you are learning FX, schools are totally a waste of money...thats my opinion, different than every school admin out there smile  The fact that they fail to tell you something as simple as "by the way, you cant legally do makeup in any State with our certificate"  just goes to show they could care less about you, they also never tell you that most graduates will never work for money in the industry, they fail to tell you that you will work free for years before you make a dime....it's about your money.....they put teachers in these schools that haven't done beauty makeup in 20 years, or have been at a makeup counter their entire career.   The short workshops taught by real pros in the industry are a much better investment for the new artist.

As far as not touching the face with your hands making it legal, thats a rumor that was started somewhere that proved to be false.....just about ever State with the exception of CA requires a license to do makeup for money.   This is very easy to check, each State has a licensing board and the rules are posted on the web site on all but a few states

Jul 04 06 10:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Aleksandra Ambrozy

THIS SUCKS!!!!!! sad((((
I am happy that I went to MUD anyway, because I learned a lot, but I really can't afford to go to school again....sad((
I guess I will just try to be carefull....
thanks guys!

Jul 04 06 10:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Mary wrote:

I was typing as you were smile    How long is the Course and how much?

In NJ its  600 hour course....its varies by state and I think the sourse was like 2000 dollars not sure....its been 3 years since I have been in that school.
And I have not made that money back yet doing makeup up.....too many TFCD....howveer I am working out a deal now with a studio that will let me become an independanr contractor and split my profits with them 50/50
A license is good to have God forbid something goes wrong you have the piece of paper backing you up.
I am also looking inot getting liability insurance as well......
Needless to say I have been very busy.
If you have any questions about the licnese feel free to ask me.

Jul 04 06 01:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Mary wrote:

in my opinion most of the schools are useless... What they teach you is useless (with a few exceptions)  Unless you are learning FX, schools are totally a waste of money...thats my opinion, different than every school admin out there smile  The fact that they fail to tell you something as simple as "by the way, you cant legally do makeup in any State with our certificate"  just goes to show they could care less about you, they also never tell you that most graduates will never work for money in the industry, they fail to tell you that you will work free for years before you make a dime....it's about your money.....they put teachers in these schools that haven't done beauty makeup in 20 years, or have been at a makeup counter their entire career.   The short workshops taught by real pros in the industry are a much better investment for the new artist.

As far as not touching the face with your hands making it legal, thats a rumor that was started somewhere that proved to be false.....just about ever State with the exception of CA requires a license to do makeup for money.   This is very easy to check, each State has a licensing board and the rules are posted on the web site on all but a few states

The licneses are good if you are working with harsh chemicals like hair dyes or are doing extractions in a spa....the shools teach you how to be clean and how to be sanitary as well..... its not a total loss but very few photographers ask to see certifaction or a license.

ANd if you wind up working in retail at the makeup counters they don't give a shit that you have a license they will pay you almost nothing....they rather hire a girl right from highschool than pay someone who has goen to school.

Jul 04 06 01:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

www.beautytech.com to find contact info and sometimes websites for all states, and beyond... for licensing requirements.

For makeup only, most states require an esthetician license (or as one person said, cosmetician).  One state I am aware of has a makeup license (Maryland).  To do makeup AND hair, a cosmetology license is required.

Now, it's the exemptions that will be the deciding factor.  Of those states that require a license to do makeup and/or hair, many of them require it for salon, bridal and other civilian work, but the entertainment industry is exempt.  To work in a salon or at a counter as a product rep (meaning you don't charge for services rendered, just product), is also exempt.

NY and perhaps other states require a license no matter what you are doing.  There are no exemptions.  I honestly don't know if or how the counters get away with no licensing.

There are schools that are approved to teach the curriculum that is geared towards helping you pass the state board exam.  Call your state board to get a list of approved schools.

A certificate of any kind from any school does not count as a license.  If you attend a makeup school, you may be able to get hours applied towards a license, but it won't be much.  Negotiate with the school to see if you can reduce your time in school with them and your tuition.  You may only get a day or two knocked off, but school is all about hours.  Clock your hours, and you "graduate".  You still have to take state board exams (practical and written).

Some states offer reciprocity with other states, so it may be useful for you to get your license if you think you might move to a different state later.

Jul 04 06 03:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KirbyMakeup

Bowie, Maryland, US

I know in maryland you need a certifiicate.
Here is the link
http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/cosmet/cosreq.htm

Jul 04 06 05:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

KirbyMakeup wrote:
I know in maryland you need a certifiicate.
Here is the link
http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/cosmet/cosreq.htm

they are asking for a license

Must be at least 17 years of age and have completed 9th grade or G.E.D.  Applicant must submit proof of having successfully completed a course or program in makeup artist services approved by the Board

--------------------------------------------------------------
the only course approved is the ones that will give you a license. Makeup schools are not licensed to give estheticians or cometology licenses....none that I know of are approved by any State to license you, that includes MUD, Blasco, etc.

Someone said that a photographer asked for a certificate?  he's an idiot, ok, thats rude....he's uninformed smile, sorry but since a certificate means nothing and schools havent even been around that long, hes really in the dark about the business....  I have been doing this over 20 years and my clients are National clients and I have never never ever been asked for a certificate or license.  I even have 3 agents in 3 States....never asked, never heard of a legit photographer asking...maybe this was a gwc.

Jul 04 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Deek

Blackwood, New Jersey, US

I just reseachered this for Alex...in NJ here's a link to licensing requirements
http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/cosmetology/coslic.htm
...but if you did a liitle deeper, people applying makeup for theatrical, motion picture, modeling and photography are specifically exempted.

Here's the complete statute:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/cosmetolo … ostats.pdf

Jul 04 06 09:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NinaDarguzis

Los Angeles, California, US

I think the only two states that require a "license" is Rhode Island and Lousianna.  Everywhere else is usually pretty lenient, unless you're applying makeup in salons--then usually you need an Esthetics or Cosmotology license.  At least in my experience.

Jul 04 06 09:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

DPKelly Photography wrote:
I just reseachered this for Alex...in NJ here's a link to licensing requirements
http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/cosmetology/coslic.htm
...but if you did a liitle deeper, people applying makeup for theatrical, motion picture, modeling and photography are specifically exempted.

Here's the complete statute:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/cosmetolo … ostats.pdf

I read that and didnt see the exemtions....can you point them out?  thanks, I'm curious now because years ago there was research on this in a book I read and the only State with the entertainment clause at the time was Ca.  There was a clause for a California artist to do makeup in another state for entertainment (film) for up to 3 months

Jul 04 06 10:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

NinaDarguzis wrote:
I think the only two states that require a "license" is Rhode Island and Lousianna.  Everywhere else is usually pretty lenient, unless you're applying makeup in salons--then usually you need an Esthetics or Cosmotology license.  At least in my experience.

Please, no.

Re-read my post.

Jul 04 06 11:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Mary wrote:
I read that and didnt see the exemtions....can you point them out?  thanks, I'm curious now because years ago there was research on this in a book I read and the only State with the entertainment clause at the time was Ca.  There was a clause for a California artist to do makeup in another state for entertainment (film) for up to 3 months

The exemption is there for NJ.  smile

The exception is listed on page 24 of the PDF.  45:5B-7 to be exact.

Jul 04 06 11:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KirbyMakeup

Bowie, Maryland, US

Mary wrote:
they are asking for a license

Must be at least 17 years of age and have completed 9th grade or G.E.D.  Applicant must submit proof of having successfully completed a course or program in makeup artist services approved by the Board

--------------------------------------------------------------
the only course approved is the ones that will give you a license. Makeup schools are not licensed to give estheticians or cometology licenses....none that I know of are approved by any State to license you, that includes MUD, Blasco, etc.

Someone said that a photographer asked for a certificate?  he's an idiot, ok, thats rude....he's uninformed smile, sorry but since a certificate means nothing and schools havent even been around that long, hes really in the dark about the business....  I have been doing this over 20 years and my clients are National clients and I have never never ever been asked for a certificate or license.  I even have 3 agents in 3 States....never asked, never heard of a legit photographer asking...maybe this was a gwc.

I am sorry.... you need a certificate from a school or a letter proving that you completed a course in makeup. Then you submit it to the board and they will give you a liscense. I just recently asked my teacher at my cosmeotology school about this. They have a form that you and your teacher must fill out.
https://www.dllr.state.md.us/renewal/CO … tForm.html

Sorry Mary I didnt post correctly at first. But all you need is proof saying that you completed a course in order to get a liscense, so yes in the state of maryland you do need a liscense.

Jul 05 06 07:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

KirbyMakeup

Bowie, Maryland, US

Here is a link that gives you most states board of cosmetology websites. Don't know how helpful it will be but you can probably find of a little information on your states liscensing requirements.

http://www.bcsbc.com/stateboards.html

Jul 05 06 08:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

HFox Makeup

Washington, District of Columbia, US

In the state of VA, you don't need a license to do makeup or esthetics in a salon or anywhere else for that matter in VA.  In fact, when I went to learn esthetics, the licensing was for DC and other esthetics schools teach for MD.  However, salons require a license for esthetics but not for makeup.

Jul 05 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Deek

Blackwood, New Jersey, US

Mary wrote:

See section D
Again..this is specific to New Jersey. Your milage may vary

45:5B-7. Services of cosmetology and hairstyling necessity of license; exceptions
No person shall render any of the services encompassed within the definition of cosmetology and
hairstyling without first having secured a license from the board which permits the offering of that
service, except for the following persons when acting within the scope of their profession or
a. Persons authorized by the laws of this State to practice medicine and surgery, dentistry,
chiropractic and acupuncture;
b. Registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, nurses’ aides, physical therapists and physical therapy
assistants;
c. Commissioned medical officers of the United States Armed Forces Hospital Services;
d. Persons employed to render cosmetology or hairstyling services in the course of and incidental
to the business of employers engaged in the theatrical, radio, television or motion picture production
industries, modeling or photography;

Jul 05 06 09:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

KirbyMakeup wrote:
I am sorry.... you need a certificate from a school or a letter proving that you completed a course in makeup. Then you submit it to the board and they will give you a liscense. I just recently asked my teacher at my cosmeotology school about this. They have a form that you and your teacher must fill out.
https://www.dllr.state.md.us/renewal/CO … tForm.html

Sorry Mary I didnt post correctly at first. But all you need is proof saying that you completed a course in order to get a liscense, so yes in the state of maryland you do need a liscense.

I doubt they "give" you a license.  It would be so easy to forge a letter/diploma, or have a friend at a school write one.

I will bet that you still have to take an exam, and pass it, before you get your license. 

Also, except for Maryland, I'm not aware of any place that will let you test based on a course in makeup.  It's approved esthetician/cosmetician, or cosmetology curriculum through an approved school in that state, at a set number of hours, and then you take your exam.

Jul 05 06 10:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Yes there is a big test that a person must go through.
if you don't past the test you don't acquire the license.

Jul 05 06 11:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Warner

San Francisco, California, US

I'm in California.  Been in the BIZ over 18 years and over those years many times there was a threat that they ( STATE BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY ) were going to enforce licsening and no one would be able to apply make-up up to anyones face without it.  Even Dept. Store Make-up Artists,  However in all the years it has never come to be.  When the threat or rumor happens, everyone cleans up their act Sanitation wise and it just goes away.  I know over 200 make-up artists and I believe I met maybe 10 who were liscenced, but that really was only because they were aesticians doing make-up.  What state are you in?

Jul 05 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

In Minnesota, yes. In many states, yes. However, it's an easy thing to get around. Join the Screen Actors Guild  (SAG), and call it stage and/or photo makeup. Glamour shots (National chain of glamour portraiture studios) does that here and seems to be getting away with it.

Mar 06 09 01:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Ana Merces

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Actually they pass a law in maryland that you no longer need a license to do makeup since october 2008. The reason was because it was impossible to enforce that law since many artists don't work out of salons.
I'm away from the computer but I'll come back later with the exact article

Mar 06 09 01:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Neeki Rodriguez MUA

HFox Makeup wrote:
In the state of VA, you don't need a license to do makeup or esthetics in a salon or anywhere else for that matter in VA.  In fact, when I went to learn esthetics, the licensing was for DC and other esthetics schools teach for MD.  However, salons require a license for esthetics but not for makeup.

That's exactly what I was about to post. The course I took was approved by the board in DC and MD, so students could take their credits earned their (hours, certificate, etc.) and obtain their license. But for students like me that live in VA, we did not have to do it. I hope they change this soon. There have been a few instances when I have attempted to go for a gig, and because I'm not licensed I was not eligible. But it's not because I don’t have the training.

Mar 06 09 01:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Neeki Rodriguez MUA

EmElle Makeup and Hair wrote:

I doubt they "give" you a license.  It would be so easy to forge a letter/diploma, or have a friend at a school write one.

I will bet that you still have to take an exam, and pass it, before you get your license. 

Also, except for Maryland, I'm not aware of any place that will let you test based on a course in makeup.  It's approved esthetician/cosmetician, or cosmetology curriculum through an approved school in that state, at a set number of hours, and then you take your exam.

That's probably why they did away with it (licensing in MD). But yes, its true, no testing necessary, you just had to submit your certificate or other proof from an approved school.

Mar 06 09 01:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M Ye

New York, New York, US

AleksandraGo wrote:
Hi everyone, I have a questions. Do you need a license to apply make up? If yes, in which states and what does it apply to? I am confused.
thanks!

Okay, so if you're in Jersey, my answer is no, you don't.

And although I wouldn't disregard any advice given here, I will advise you NOT to get any sort of license. Especially if you plan on staying strictly in the make-up field.

I knew I wanted to be a MUA but decided that people would take me more seriously if I had an Estheticians License. TOTAL BULLSHIT!

Your license will do NOTHING to help your career in Jersey. I promise you that.

Mar 06 09 08:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LA Make Up

Bridgewater, New Jersey, US

Mary wrote:

I am in New Jersey and have had liability insurance for 5 years. You can also get it in PA. No license required.

Mar 16 09 07:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lelind Beauty

Jacó, Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Can you curl hair or put it up on location without a license?

Mar 23 09 10:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracy Kane hairmakeup

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

What about the UK? also I know this is slightly hijacking but what about Insurance? I used NHF however I'm keen to find out about other companies.

T x

Mar 23 09 01:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Kelly Ferguson

MARYLAND LINE, Maryland, US

Mary wrote:

Yep, Yep, Yep... I would say the best thing I gained from going to school was the sanitation part.  On top of what everyone else has said, not long after going to school, my state got rid of the makeup license.  I could have saved the money.  They still have the aesthetician and cosmetologist license, but Maryland also had a license just for makeup and the school I went to over exeeded the hours needed, but now they don't require a makeup license at all.  I'm not interested in doing facials and hair, etc. so it's kind of unfair for MUAs to have to sit through hundreds of hours and spending all that money for all the extra that would go into being an aesthetician and cosmetologist if you have no plan to do any of it and only want to do makeup.

Mar 23 09 08:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Fierce About Face

Akron, Ohio, US

MUA Kelly Ferguson wrote:
I'm not interested in doing facials and hair, etc. so it's kind of unfair for MUAs to have to sit through hundreds of hours and spending all that money for all the extra that would go into being an aesthetician and cosmetologist if you have no plan to do any of it and only want to do makeup.

My sentiments exactly... I am a ridiculously underpaid preschool teacher by day- I can't afford time and money for esthetician school and licensing, and have absolutely no desire to work in a salon, pull mustaches off 56 year old women, or teach a high school girl why petroleum jelly is probably not the best moisturizer for her oily t-zone area. I'll slap some paint on some models on weekends, maybe a couple nights here and there, and then go back to reading Where the Wild Things Are on weekdays smile

Mar 23 09 08:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Kelly Ferguson

MARYLAND LINE, Maryland, US

Laughing... I'm with you sister (smile)!

Mar 23 09 08:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ZenaDamali

Boston, Massachusetts, US

EmElle Makeup and Hair wrote:
www.beautytech.com to find contact info and sometimes websites for all states, and beyond... for licensing requirements.

For makeup only, most states require an esthetician license (or as one person said, cosmetician).  One state I am aware of has a makeup license (Maryland).  To do makeup AND hair, a cosmetology license is required.

Now, it's the exemptions that will be the deciding factor.  Of those states that require a license to do makeup and/or hair, many of them require it for salon, bridal and other civilian work, but the entertainment industry is exempt.  To work in a salon or at a counter as a product rep (meaning you don't charge for services rendered, just product), is also exempt.

NY and perhaps other states require a license no matter what you are doing.  There are no exemptions.  I honestly don't know if or how the counters get away with no licensing.

There are schools that are approved to teach the curriculum that is geared towards helping you pass the state board exam.  Call your state board to get a list of approved schools.

A certificate of any kind from any school does not count as a license.  If you attend a makeup school, you may be able to get hours applied towards a license, but it won't be much.  Negotiate with the school to see if you can reduce your time in school with them and your tuition.  You may only get a day or two knocked off, but school is all about hours.  Clock your hours, and you "graduate".  You still have to take state board exams (practical and written).

Some states offer reciprocity with other states, so it may be useful for you to get your license if you think you might move to a different state later.

I agree with this.

In the state of TN, I can use my Aestheticians license to style hair since our license also covers scalp treatments, but we cannot use chemicals to alter the hair itself.

Also the counters get around licensing requirements for makeup by having their sales associates use sponges or brushes to touch the clients face. Technically, you are not supposed to have physical contact (hands to face/hands to hair/scalp) without an esthetician or cosmetology license.

Apr 19 09 09:27 am Link