Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > enough with this sylvia ji/sugar skull fad!

Model

m3g0ra

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I think it's a pretty concept and all, but every second port these days has Sylva Ji themed make-up in one or more image.
Has anyone else gotten sick of it too?

Jun 08 10 09:36 am Link

Model

m3g0ra

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Bump for all that is good with the world.

Jun 08 10 09:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea Martini

SHOHOLA, Pennsylvania, US

bumping after about 20 minutes of it being in the forums probably isnt going to get you anywhere...if people have something to say, they will be sure to post.

Jun 08 10 10:12 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

For me, the sugar skull is a breath of fresh air.

Yes, it is getting over saturated... but compared to glitter and rhine stones and feather lashes?
Gimmie a skull!

Everything worth doing will be overdone... but most of these instances are from starting artists who are cutting their teeth on technical skills.

A good sugar skull is deceptively difficult to do. There has to be an anatomical fit. That design needs to bee almost cartoon and still pull in some good shading.

Here's what one of my airbrush students did in our private workshop.... shot in hybrid black light.
https://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/066/a/2/a2865d1dd23459eac174aa8f1fa42a92.jpg

Jun 08 10 10:52 am Link

Model

northern_siren_model

Boston, Massachusetts, US

heh heh, just booked it today and I can't wait to shoot, I need to shop around for an awesome MUA for it too.  I've loved day of the dead stuff for years, have a collection of themed stuff in my apartment!

Jun 08 10 10:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

TorontoMakeupArtist

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lisa Berczel wrote:
For me, the sugar skull is a breath of fresh air.

Yes, it is getting over saturated... but compared to glitter and rhine stones and feather lashes?
Gimmie a skull!

Everything worth doing will be overdone... but most of these instances are from starting artists who are cutting their teeth on technical skills.

A good sugar skull is deceptively difficult to do. There has to be an anatomical fit. That design needs to be almost cartoon and still pull in some good shading.

Lisa! You always have to best things to say and the right way to say them.

Jun 08 10 01:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dana Delaney

Los Angeles, California, US

I personally love anything if it's done well. Don't care if it's been done to death or not. Art is art and if it's beautiful then it's good enough for me.

Jun 08 10 03:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Liza

You are frickin amazing. Thats from a student? Just wow.

Jun 08 10 05:30 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

DavisWebb wrote:
Liza

You are frickin amazing. Thats from a student? Just wow.

Thanks.

Yes, this is from a Student who participated in an 3-Day Bodypaint Boot Camp.
3rd day was a full paint and photo shoot in as close to a "real" working environment as possible.
Anything the student wants to do.

This student happens to love sugar skulls.
You should see her thank you card.......

Jun 08 10 05:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Was this student an artist, as in visual artist, before she started? Or is that just stuff she learned in the workshop. Its really artistic, so i was wondering if she brought those skills with her and learned them on the airbrush or whether you are teaching them to essentially draw in a couple days? Thanks in advance.

Jun 08 10 06:05 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Corona, California, US

She was a seasoned makeup artist and beginner body painter  - so she was reallllllly able to process what she was shown and go for it.

Jun 08 10 07:33 pm Link