Forums > General Industry > Older models?

Model

Dina Ova

Arlington, Virginia, US

age is just a number.how many photographers here actually check their models age and look at their drivers lisence? Asking women how old they really are is not polite in my opinion.

Dec 12 10 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Dina RK wrote:
age is just a number.how many photographers here actually check their models age and look at their drivers lisence? Asking women how old they really are is not polite in my opinion.

Age is a number that has legal, risk and business implications. In some cases copying a model's ID is legally required.  In some cases it helps cover the photographer in terms of liability and in others may be required by those the photographer provides images to.

Checking/copying IDs has nothing to do with politeness.  It has everything to do with the business of shooting models.

Dec 12 10 08:19 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

@ Dina - it's business, you will understand someday...

Dec 12 10 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Dragon Knee Media

Hamilton, Texas, US

SheaLee wrote:
So "Nice" to see we are Welcome here:)  I am sure models like Cindy Crawford, etc. would be glad to hear that they are just "pretend"!

I love older models... I admire them and have alot of appreciation for what they do.

Dec 12 10 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

John Horwitz wrote:
@ Dina - it's business, you will understand someday...

which goes directly to the topic....

Dec 12 10 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Dragon Knee Media

Hamilton, Texas, US

Dina RK wrote:

I think its only impolite if a model is ashamed of her age..  I like to know how old a model is.. If your offended then don't have birthdays anymore.. But thats impossible. So you can't help how old you are so no need for it to be impolite

Dec 12 10 08:32 am Link

Model

marissa charles

London, England, United Kingdom

When you think about it, The population of today are living up to and beyond 80, so I am not prepared to be young for 20 years, then old for the next 60 years potentially. Maybe in the middle ages when life expectancy was around mid 20s to 30s then I would be dead, but the ''ageing'' population is growing and hear to stay. smile

Dec 13 10 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Steveba

RS Livingston wrote:
It appears there has been a marked increase in older models coming onto the site.

That's because it's FREE and they can then call themselves a model, the fact they may not earn any money from it is a different matter.

Dec 13 10 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Steveba

RS Livingston wrote:
It appears there has been a marked increase in older models coming onto the site.

That's because it's FREE and they can then call themselves a model, the fact they may not earn any money from it is a different matter.

Dec 13 10 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Ulti

Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng, South Africa

I fondly believe that many women only reach their prime when they pass 30. At that age they seem to have sorted most issues in their lives and somehow they have so much more confidence. They know what looks good about themselves and how they want to be portrayed.

They are simply gorgeous!

Dec 13 10 03:54 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Steveba wrote:

But its not really free is it..
Models have a level of expenses too, its not just photographers who have to fork out despite protests to the contrary

Incidently, whether they earn money or not is irrelevant, if they are getting jobs booked paid or not, then they are models for photographer wish to work with them..

Dec 13 10 03:55 am Link

Model

Cultural Enigma

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Dec 13 10 03:57 am Link

Model

Angela2323

Columbus, Ohio, US

Sirensong wrote:

Models have a level of expenses too, its not just photographers who have to fork out despite protests to the contrary

Incidently, whether they earn money or not is irrelevant, if they are getting jobs booked paid or not, then they are models for photographer wish to work with them..

Don't forget the cost of babysitters.  smile

Btw, 36 here.

Dec 13 10 04:19 am Link

Model

Angela2323

Columbus, Ohio, US

The following women I like to keep close when motivation is needed:

Nichole Kidman
Cindy Crawford
Nikki Taylor
Halle Berry
Julia Roberts
Julianne Moore
Rachel Weiss
Monica Bellucci...and more classy women. 

I like to think without the camera, these women would still be a force of
grace and beauty.

Dec 13 10 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

Falater Photography wrote:
Of course, they're welcome to be here but I don't work with them.

Models start at age 12 and start to struggle at age 22 and are out to pasture at age 25.

Anything beyond that is pretend.

(the truth never hurts, only the sudden realization of it)

============
... a 'general' fashion & glamour modeling setup.

I do not agree.

Mature women have so much to offer (in addition to beauty & figure) in poise and personality and sensuality!!

I have had the pleasure to shoot some women of age 35, 45, and age 50. Great looks from all of these models!

Dec 13 10 04:38 am Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

she is one of my favorite mature models to work with and she is so awesome, I wish I could find more like her in my market but it's been challenging. Mature models rock

https://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/101114/06/4cdff314eba76_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/101009/01/4cb02612afc5d_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/101025/10/4cc5bb3453b3b_m.jpg

Dec 13 10 04:39 am Link

Model

AndromedaX

Ipswich, England, United Kingdom

At 33 I'm happy to call myself an 'older' model  smile  I didn't start modelling until I was 30, and in all honesty I think that had I started younger I would not have had the patience, dedication, maturity or confidence to have made a decent job of it.  I know my strengths and limitations, and have realistic expectations: I do what I do to the best of my abilities, with no illusions of grandeur, and for the purpose of helping to create images that both the photographer and I can be proud of.  If other people like them too then its an added bonus  smile

Dec 13 10 04:52 am Link

Model

Jennifer Barker

Houston, Arkansas, US

I will be classified as one of the "oldies" next year wink ... looks to be a great bunch  big_smile

Dec 13 10 05:07 am Link

Model

Jennifer Barker

Houston, Arkansas, US

Sirensong wrote:

Excellent .. some people sure turn into pissers when it comes to their views on this  wink

Dec 13 10 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Median age in the USA

36.8 years (male: 35.5 years, female: 38.1 years, 2010 est.)

some interesting info:
http://www.newmodels.com/race.html

Dec 13 10 05:27 am Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

Sandra W wrote:
As for me, I didn't start doing this until a year ago, when I was laid off from my marketing position. I would never have even considered doing it, had I not been encouraged by a photographer friend.  I was pleasantly surprised and still am that really good photographers would actually want to shoot with me, given my age and my shorty-ness lol

I've now found quite a bit of success in fetish work, which I really enjoy, and for which there seems to be an unending demand for older models. Many photographers tell me they enjoy working with older models because a) we tend to be the same age as a lot of photographers, so we have more in common and relate well on a personal level during a shoot; b) (and this is someone else's words, not mine) we tend to behave more professionally and less like divas; and c) let's face it, older women are really "hot" right now (partly because of the whole cougar thing, ugh, which I actually hate).

I think older women are popular now because many of us do take care of ourselves more than ever before, because we bring a lot of experience, culture and sophistication to a shoot, and because self-confidence tends to grow once you're in your 30s and 40s.  I could never have done this when I was in my 20s not only because I didn't have the curvy body then that I do now, but also because I was a neurotic mess. lol

Marketing's loss is our gain...you have a fabulous portfolio!

Dec 13 10 08:53 am Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

I have worked with some beautiful 'older' women, from here on MM and other sites.  I love illustrating them...they are generally polite, real, confident.....I for one am glad that there is a market for this group

Dec 13 10 10:04 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Tribute to the Mature & Sexy Women Over 40:

https://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/project40/Mature%20and%20Sexy%20Book%201/cvr-1.jpg

https://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/project40/Mature%20and%20Sexy%20Book%202a/Cover2a-1.jpg

https://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/project40/Mature%20and%20Sexy%20Book%202b/Cover2b-1.jpg

Dec 13 10 10:44 am Link

Model

miss pandora

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

(Raises hand)

Dec 13 10 10:55 am Link

Model

miss pandora

No worries-the guys who are pissers on this thread also piss on other threads, too. They are just snarky people in general, I noticed.

Anyway, it's their loss that they refuse to work with us "mature" models.  I tend to work with people more than once. If they didn't like working with me, I doubt they'd come back.

Jennifer Barker wrote:

Excellent .. some people sure turn into pissers when it comes to their views on this  wink

Dec 13 10 10:58 am Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

Sandra W wrote:
No worries-the guys who are pissers on this thread also piss on other threads, too. They are just snarky people in general, I noticed.

Anyway, it's their loss that they refuse to work with us "mature" models.  I tend to work with people more than once. If they didn't like working with me, I doubt they'd come back.

If I did art full-time, I could probably earn most of it with 'mature' models (God, I hate that term!).

Dec 13 10 11:50 am Link

Model

- E M I L Y -

The Settlement, Christmas Island, External Territories of Australia

I am laughing here at people calling 22+ OLD!

What about the classic VS models?    (Well, classic to me!)

Alessandra is 29.
Adrianna is 29. 
Marisa is 32. 
Heidi Klum?  37!

To me, they are great examples of beautiful women past the prime of their early fashion years.

I have to agree with the opinion(s) that women in their 20s-30s shine.

Dec 13 10 12:38 pm Link

Model

miss pandora

Thank you very much! Honestly, tho, I just feel lucky to have been able to work with some very talented photographers who are also just cool people in general smile

Vincent Wolff wrote:

Marketing's loss is our gain...you have a fabulous portfolio!

Dec 13 10 12:55 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

Sandra W wrote:
Thank you very much! Honestly, tho, I just feel lucky to have been able to work with some very talented photographers who are also just cool people in general smile

you're welcome....I'm impressed that you were able to make the jump so seamlessly from marketing (that's my day job).  You have such great presence in front of the camera

Dec 13 10 01:37 pm Link

Model

Cultural Enigma

Sandra W wrote:

I agree, lol.  I have lots of photographers that are return shooters for me, I'll be 40 in 3 years. I don't mind it at all.

And as far as getting upset? Nah.  Modeling is the ONE career/field where you don't have to be a good person, a nice person, or even a smart person to do well. It all depends on how well you and the camera get along - no matter what side of the lens you're on. 

That being said, I take most "pissy" and arrogant attitudes for what they are - them trying to convince themselves of something rather than an insult. 

In my line of work, my real job - we see models of every age, ethnicity, sex - you name it. Some are highly paid, and some of those NEVER see a runway.  lol.

All depends on your project.

Much love to the "mature" models out there, we rock.

CE

Dec 13 10 03:22 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

RS Livingston wrote:
It appears there has been a marked increase in older models coming onto the site. This is NOT a complaint. Many are quite outstanding and I wish I was in a position to shoot with some of them. Just wondering if they were modeling in past decades and have decided to jump back in. Is there something driving the move? Economy?

Economy, for me.  I started as a class studio model after my divorce in 2001 because I needed the money.  I was 39.  After that, I worked with other photographers and painters here and there, and made some extra money.

But I also grew up with art (my sister is an artist, so is one of my brothers, and I sing), and I wanted to be one of the women captured forever on canvas.  Am I Mona Lisa?  No...LOL.  But am I on canvas?  Yes!  LOVE it.

I also happen to be in two of these:

AndrewG wrote:
Tribute to the Mature & Sexy Women Over 40:

https://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/project40/Mature%20and%20Sexy%20Book%201/cvr-1.jpg

https://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/project40/Mature%20and%20Sexy%20Book%202a/Cover2a-1.jpg

https://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/project40/Mature%20and%20Sexy%20Book%202b/Cover2b-1.jpg

Dec 13 10 03:56 pm Link

Model

StaceyDixon

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Models start at age 12 and start to struggle at age 22 and are out to pasture at age 25.

REALLY ??? WOW !! Thanks for the update !

Dec 13 10 04:55 pm Link

Model

miss pandora

Ok, I already have a list of amazing models in their 40s...but you just inspired me to start one of models in their 30s. You're incredible! His loss, that he'd put you out to pasture looking as awesome as you do....lol

StaceyDixon wrote:

REALLY ??? WOW !! Thanks for the update !

Dec 13 10 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

RS Livingston wrote:
It appears there has been a marked increase in older models coming onto the site. This is NOT a complaint. Many are quite outstanding and I wish I was in a position to shoot with some of them. Just wondering if they were modeling in past decades and have decided to jump back in. Is there something driving the move? Economy?

This model is pushing 30, not on MM though:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/081112/04/491aa1187188d_m.jpg

I think some models do return to modeling just for a change of pace.  Some have an "older" look that works, and stay with their agencies for many years - I know a couple in Toronto that are still going strong into their 40's.

I can almost hear the chorus of disappointed sighs.

* crickets *

Dec 13 10 05:25 pm Link

Model

StaceyDixon

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Sandra W wrote:
Ok, I already have a list of amazing models in their 40s...but you just inspired me to start one of models in their 30s. You're incredible! His loss, that he'd put you out to pasture looking as awesome as you do....lol

Awww thanks Sandra smile
You're pretty awesome yourself !!

It don't usually get into discussions here on MM but I ran across this thread & was curious. After reading the posts I felt the need to chime in. I started modeling when I was 29 & I feel sexier now in my 30's than I have ever felt before ! And believe me I stay busy working !!

Older women are HOT !!!

Dec 13 10 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Angelfactory

Foley, Minnesota, US

I noticed that trend around here as well. I like it. All of my paying shoots so far have been older men with classic cars at car shows and the thought of a 17 yr old with their pride and joy just comes off with a touch of pervy vibe to it so they prefer 30's and older too.

Dec 13 10 05:36 pm Link

Model

Cultural Enigma

So far every 30+ model I've seen on here has been absolutely beautiful!

Dec 13 10 07:39 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

Everyone is entitled to his/her own point of view....it doesn't make it correct.

There is a huge market for older models, and so many of them are gorgeous!

Dec 14 10 08:44 am Link

Model

JessicaB - Model

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I am "older" in modeling but still get booked frequently. It's sad some people think this is all pretend.

Dec 14 10 08:53 am Link

Model

KorEyes

El Paso, Texas, US

I was pleasantly surprised how many agencies were after the healthy, middle aged look. It's certainly keeping me busy and I never would have considered modeling 20 years ago!

Dec 14 10 09:17 am Link