Forums > Model Colloquy > "Sexy face"

Model

Deanna Lindsey

Houston, Texas, US

I need help!  I can't seem to pull off the sexy, open mouthed, slight squinty eyed face, a la https://www.singingblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/megan-fox-sexy-eyes-and-face-image-6792.jpg

I have really round eyes so it just looks like I'm sleepy or bored.  I can, however, do the sexy smirk thing.  Any other ideas for "come hither" type looks for someone who doesn't have almond-shaped eyes?  Or makeup tips to make my eyes look wider?

Hopefully this belongs here.

Thanks in advance.  smile

Mar 06 11 07:32 pm Link

Model

Aswald

Detroit, Michigan, US

Think of something sexy?

idk.

I suck at sexy faces too.

Mar 06 11 07:34 pm Link

Model

C A T H Y

Anaheim, California, US

When I am shooting lingerie or bikini, I usually think 'sexy' ...sorta like seducing the camera...but don't think too much about it because then the photos will come out un-natural. Just go with the flow...wink

Mar 06 11 07:41 pm Link

Model

Marie Ford

Lakewood, Ohio, US

Aswald wrote:
Think of something sexy?

idk.

I suck at sexy faces too.

IA. As simple as it sounds this is very true. I had (and still slip up ) trouble with this and the best thing a photographer told me was 'turn yourself on'. You have to imagine the hottest guy in the world is right in front of you and you're putting on a show for him. Practice in front of a mirror, it seems absurd at first but after awhile it'll start to make sense.

HTH

Mar 06 11 07:46 pm Link

Model

Laureate

Chicago, Illinois, US

Practice in the mirror, and pretend like your lower jaw is slightly unhinged. I like to bring music to the shoot that makes me feel sexy...then it just comes naturally.

Mar 06 11 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Tilt your head down a little more and look at the camera from the tops of your eyes. Think "snobby" thoughts and emote a little "dismissiveness" with attitude.

Mar 06 11 07:53 pm Link

Model

Deanna Lindsey

Houston, Texas, US

Laureate wrote:
Practice in the mirror, and pretend like your lower jaw is slightly unhinged. I like to bring music to the shoot that makes me feel sexy...then it just comes naturally.

That's a really great idea, the music part.  I should get a little CD player or something.  I have an MP3 player but no base w/ speakers.

Mar 06 11 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Swank Photography

Big Pine Key, Florida, US

Deanna Lindsey wrote:
I need help!  I can't seem to pull off the sexy, open mouthed, slight squinty eyed face, a la https://www.singingblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/megan-fox-sexy-eyes-and-face-image-6792.jpg

I have really round eyes so it just looks like I'm sleepy or bored.  I can, however, do the sexy smirk thing.  Any other ideas for "come hither" type looks for someone who doesn't have almond-shaped eyes?  Or makeup tips to make my eyes look wider?

Hopefully this belongs here.

Thanks in advance.  smile

I don't know if this helps you or not...but I always ask the models to think of the best orgasm they had...all the feelings (I kinda walk them through it).

Mar 06 11 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

First, it's been my experience that most models who attempt to look "sexy" end up looking like they have a tummy-ache.

I think the key to most expressions (except for 1950's pinup genre shots) is understatement.  If I want a model to have a sexy expression, I might tell her to look shy (partially turn away from me as if she looking from the corner of her eye).  Or to bite a lip.  But whatever expression--hint at it, just barely suggest it.

Ed

Mar 06 11 08:01 pm Link

Model

Deanna Lindsey

Houston, Texas, US

Aswald wrote:
Think of something sexy?

Yeah, the "think of something sexy" and "pretend the camera is a hot guy" don't really work for me.  ;/

Mar 06 11 08:01 pm Link

Model

Curvy Krista

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Music helps. Something with an erotic sound like Enigma works for me.

Mar 06 11 08:10 pm Link

Model

Laureate

Chicago, Illinois, US

Deanna Lindsey wrote:

Yeah, the "think of something sexy" and "pretend the camera is a hot guy" don't really work for me.  ;/

That doesn't work for me either. Sometimes I pretend that I am alone, actually.

Mar 06 11 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

NFGphoto

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

On a more physical level there are a few things I've found tend to work.  First, IMO, the sexiest mouth-open poses are on girls with an overbite.  Nothing extreme, obviously, but your upper lip naturally extends a little farther from the lower lip when your teeth stick out a bit.  Not easy to fake, I'm sorry. 

The other thing that works is, perhaps along with thinking sexy thoughts, focus.  Squint a little, glare a little.  Bring the cheeks up just a bit so there's more of a dome under your eyes instead of a bowl.  This makes you look a little more intense and connected with the viewer, instead of just zoned out or sleepy.

Both of these things work with my models sometimes.  It gets easier with practice.

Mar 06 11 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

First be playful.  A seduction can be done in many ways- flirty looks, , finger to the mouth, bra/dress strap coming off the shoulder. Get warmed up- in more ways than one. and then play play play

The better you can act the better you can model.  So really believe in the moment - have the scenario running in your head. 

may also be easier for you if you pretend you are a movie star/actress and re inact their performance- just to get started and hopefully YOU will take over and  do what you can do best.

In the photo you provided I can imagine  the model may have been getting in the moment by stroking her lovers chest)the sand)- thats why her hand may be in that position  and in any case it reads that way

and last but not least and as in real life a glass or two of wine doesnt hurt

Mar 06 11 08:29 pm Link

Model

Vaunt

Seattle, Washington, US

Keep your face as relaxed as possible (the eyebrows will go down, the lips will part slightly

Mar 06 11 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Dwight Loewen

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I believe that a good combination, or working relationship between the model and photographer makes a huge difference.  A model CAN'T feel sexy if they are not comfortable.  To look sexy, you have to feel sexy.  There has to be a certain level of trust as well.

There are different ways to look sexy.  Sometimes I have to tell the model to look more mad.  Other times I have to tell them to smile more.  It varies a lot on the model, and what they are thinking.  If they are trying too hard, it won't work.  I feel (just my opinion) that the best sexy looks come after a long shoot, when they are no longer making that huge effort.  When the model is tired, or just going to try it one more time.  That brings me back to my first point.  By the time the shoot is about done, the model and photographer are starting (not totally yet) relax.

If you don't find the photographer appealing, get another person to stand behind them.  Maybe your bets friend.  Then glance back at the photographer, and he should be able to capture it. 

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 06 11 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

T Voye Photography

Auburn, California, US

This may sounds odd, but try pressing the tip of your tongue firmly against the roof of your mouth.  I picked up this tip a ways back and found it actually does subtly but noticeably change the distribution of tension in your facial muscles.  Lets you relax your mouth without looking slack-jawed.  Weird but it works...

Mar 07 11 12:03 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Relax your face...that'll cause your jaw to drop.

As for the eyes, I was told to do this (and has worked) find one particular spot in the direction you are looking and focus on it....as if there is nothing else in the room. It'll cause your eyes to squint by not so much that you look like you're straining.

Hope that helps.

Mar 07 11 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Swank Photography wrote:

I don't know if this helps you or not...but I always ask the models to think of the best orgasm they had...all the feelings (I kinda walk them through it).

Yeah, I actually tried telling a model to do that once. She did this:

https://www.techdigest.tv/orgasm-face-thumb-200x180.jpg

I go with what Sophistocles said, now.

Mar 07 11 06:22 am Link

Model

Teh Kitten

Warner Robins, Georgia, US

Optical Delusions wrote:
This may sounds odd, but try pressing the tip of your tongue firmly against the roof of your mouth.  I picked up this tip a ways back and found it actually does subtly but noticeably change the distribution of tension in your facial muscles.  Lets you relax your mouth without looking slack-jawed.  Weird but it works...

yup yup! lol its funny i was reading thru here and trying to put into words how i do it and i was subconsiously doing that haha. big_smile but it really does work.

oh and p.s. Make sure you also relax your shoulders, (some shots look great with the shoulders drawn in/up depending on the look you are going for) but majority of time when standing/laying when your arms are down the lenght of your body you look more i guess "open and inviting" tru your body language which also exudes confidence which in turn says sexy. (if there is a course about how to read and use your body language, around your area or a book that you can find, do it! knowing body language changes EVERTHING... so theres my 2 cents big_smile

Mar 07 11 06:26 am Link

Model

Eostre Renewed

Bremerton, Washington, US

I have really round eyes too.

For me, trying to look "evil" helps me achieve that alluring, sensual expression (while trying to look sexy makes me look derranged - go figure).

I always think of the evil female characters from Disney movies (like Malevolent) as my inspiration.

Worth a try I guess smile

Mar 07 11 06:32 am Link

Photographer

K I S S

Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom

everyone has a different face..
if we all pull the same expression straight on, some will look stupid and some will look great.
try frowning a little as if you can't see properly so your eyes seem more intense, do it in the mirror,
open your mouth so it relaxes, but don't drop it too much, try and push top and  bottom lip  out a bit if you have small lips like "omg bitch why are you flirting with my boyfriend" type of "argh" mouth expression, if that makes sense...for a sexy look..

for kinda natural pout, try tensing your jaw & biting your back teeth together, so your bottom lip can move but your top lip cant, your jaw will lift up a bit and you'll feel your ears lift up slightly too,

for more flirty look, same as last one but smirk kind of with lips kinda closed but eyes still intense at the same time
see how it looks and try try try again in mirror till you get it right tongue

Mar 07 11 06:51 am Link

Model

Brandy Madison

San Francisco, California, US

Hahaha... My "super sexy sultry" face isn't on here, it's in my Facebook. I can't help but laugh everytime I look at it because I really DO look all "come hither baby" when my normal personality is never like that. Have to laugh at myself. smile

Mar 07 11 10:13 pm Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

Say your vowels A-E-I-O-U

Seems stupid, but do it in the mirror. When you say them slowly, each has a distinct mouth movement that is sexy to lips and expression. Watch in the mirror. Don't actually say them out loud when you're shooting...then you look like crazy cakes. But in your head, it's the one area you're ok to talk to yourself and not seem insane to the rest of the world. wink

Mar 07 11 10:35 pm Link

Model

Josette Mynx

Waco, Texas, US

Swank Photography wrote:

wa... this makes me die a little inside. Never orgasmed.. but thats for another day.

Personally practice by turning on a sexy song or something and look in the mirror, once you have got it just the way you like it hold it for a little while, memorize how your face feels and where everything is.

Mar 08 11 12:17 am Link

Model

llllllllllllllllllll

Mamlyūtka, Soltüstik Ķazaķstan, Kazakhstan

From what I've heard it doesn't help to think about the person you love or to think about sex, but the best is to think about your favourite food (for example chocolate)

Mar 08 11 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Practice with a mirror or video camera.

for inspiration check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAXuiragvcY

Mar 09 11 02:26 am Link

Model

Tristin Huntamer

Denver, Colorado, US

Ereka Marcelino wrote:

Seems stupid, but do it in the mirror. When you say them slowly, each has a distinct mouth movement that is sexy to lips and expression. Watch in the mirror. Don't actually say them out loud when you're shooting...then you look like crazy cakes. But in your head, it's the one area you're ok to talk to yourself and not seem insane to the rest of the world. wink

I do this trick too... Also for the slight squint without looking like your going blind. Focus your eyes on something either the camera if your doing a direct shot or something across the room if your not. It helps give the look like your beckoning with your eyes to "come hither" because your eyes are focused on one thing.

Mar 09 11 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Ezhini

Wichita, Kansas, US

Sexy is not the same from every girl.

How you project sexy is your own deal.
Be sexy, feel sexy, think sexy and look sexy....that's your sexy.

You are doing sexy pretty well in this: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16018948

Just have to get in the sexy head space of your sexy.
No point in trying to look sexy as does another girl.

In real life you have to love, like, enjoy and appreciate sex and have that experience deep down to draw from while modeling. You can only fake so much as a model.

Mar 09 11 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

A bunch of good tricks in here.

The vowel idea can work. Or just pout and then relax your mouth. Either way, it looks as if you're communicating with the viewer. Focus the eyes beyond the camera. Look through the photographer instead of right at him.

The tongue on roof of mouth also helps define the jawline, and if you tilt your face down ever so slightly, it makes the gaze seem sexier somehow. Also, don't be afraid to tilt your head and turn a little, so you're looking a little off-center. Hard for me to explain, but it keeps your eyes from being dead-center and adds a little life to the image.

Sometimes, thinking haughty thoughts comes across as hot instead. So, think you're better than anybody else in the universe, get the attitude going and it may translate for you.

Mar 09 11 08:01 am Link

Model

Nadeshiko Yamato

Portland, Oregon, US

Thinking of your favorite food or dish tends to work for me...but I just love food so it makes me happy.
But don't overthink or get into a step 1 step 2 type of thinking. It will show that you're thinking/trying too hard to be sexy and it'll wind up looking fake or slutty.
Best of luck, dear.

Mar 09 11 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Select Models

Los Angeles, California, US

Answer and solution... take several deep breaths before your shot and do a deep exhale thru your mouth while the image is being captured... here's an example... wink

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101005/01/4caaddfe409c3.jpg

I told Trish to exhale during this shot and she pulled it off to perfection... borat

Mar 09 11 08:34 am Link

Model

Mandee Varela

Cypress, California, US

Select Models wrote:
Answer and solution... take several deep breaths before your shot and do a deep exhale thru your mouth while the image is being captured... here's an example... wink

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101005/01/4caaddfe409c3.jpg

I told Trish to exhale during this shot and she pulled it off to perfection... borat

Yes  lol he knows what he is talking about lol

Mar 09 11 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Select Models

Mandee Varela wrote:
Yes  lol he knows what he is talking about lol

LOL Mandee... I'm quite sure I've put you thru the same exercise too huh!... lol

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/Mandee16.jpg

Shot of Mandee at the Malibu mansion shoot... borat

Mar 09 11 08:48 am Link

Model

Kelly Lenahan

San Diego, California, US

David-Thomas wrote:

lmao! wink

Mar 09 11 09:07 am Link

Model

V I C T O R I A

Ereka Marcelino wrote:

Yes! This is one of the oldest tricks in the book!

Mar 09 11 09:52 am Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think you pull off a great sexy face here:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101130/13/4cf571373603e_m.jpg

It works best when you don't overthink it.

Mar 09 11 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

This woman is the mistress of "The Look".

All these photos were taken in a five minute span, all of them spontaneous. The whole shoot was un-posed, unplanned. Just a long conversation with photos.
https://fc07.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/089/5/d/BM4_InfinitelyExpressive_by_photoscot.jpg

These ladies 'aint bad at it either!
https://fc02.deviantart.net/fs12/f/2006/336/0/6/Trishy_122L_by_photoscot.jpg
https://fc01.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/041/8/2/Wenona4__269_by_photoscot.jpg
https://fc09.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/004/5/7/MariaJ1_Beautiful_Muse_072_by_photoscot.jpg
https://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/028/8/e/Nettie1__Morning__158_by_photoscot.jpg

Mar 09 11 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Swank Photography

Big Pine Key, Florida, US

David-Thomas wrote:

lol

Hey it works for me when I say it to the models!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110306/01/4d734dd43a5b4.jpg

Mar 09 11 10:17 am Link

Model

Sarah_Bird

Merrick, New York, US

My sexy face is awful. I've given up on it and decided to go the smile-y route.

Mar 09 11 10:20 am Link