Forums > General Industry > Male vs Female Nudes

Photographer

FotoFavolosoPhotography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have zero male nudes in any of my ports and it's not for any lack of trying.  What I find is that there is a higher percentage of female models willing to pose nude, as opposed to males.

Can some of the male models on this site weigh in on this.

I have even found that when I search for male models willing to pose nude, they have no full nudes in their port.

I am beginning to think that the male models are a bit more inhibited than their female counter parts.

If there are any male models in the Middle TN area that are willing to do artistic nudes, please let me know.

Ciao,
Mark

Mar 20 11 10:00 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

for our boudoir business we get calls from guys who want to be shot that way. it's just that usually they want to do more than just stand there if you get my drift.

i'd love to shoot more male models but can't get them to visit for the most part.

Mar 20 11 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Chris Vinnit

Tampa, Florida, US

FotoFavolosoPhotography wrote:
I have zero male nudes in any of my ports and it's not for any lack of trying.  What I find is that there is a higher percentage of female models willing to pose nude, as opposed to males.

Whaaa?  Guys love taking pics of their junk.  Ask Bret Favre.

I think the model thing is just tricky because sexuality gets involved.  The male nudes I see on here are most often shot by females.

Mar 20 11 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Nickels2Dimes

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't think i could shoot a guy with boxers on let alone with his junk out. I guess i am a hypocrite when it comes to shooting.

Mar 20 11 10:37 am Link

Photographer

punkuate

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Girls look better naked than guys.

Mar 20 11 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Lucian Schmit

Vancouver, Washington, US

I wanted to have some male nudes as well. But over the years the guys I know that want them are always waiting to lose that extra 3 pounds.

Also, I did not want a shaved chest as it tends to yield a sexual look. Most male models that do nudes are shaved.

I still want to do an artistic male nude, but it does look to be a difficult quest.

Mar 20 11 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Edward Chen

Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia

male nudes.

I can't.

Mar 20 11 10:47 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

punkuate wrote:

Some guys look better naked than a lot of girls, but they are much more difficult to find.

Mar 20 11 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

This thread is fascinating - now I must do some male nudes.

Mar 20 11 11:41 am Link

Photographer

BODYSHOP FEETURES

Clearwater, Florida, US

male models.............where are you?

Mar 20 11 04:09 pm Link

Model

Santa Claus

Seattle, Washington, US

We're everywhere!

Mar 20 11 06:34 pm Link

Model

Bruce Stuedeli

SPARKILL, New York, US

i think the judgements on male nudity are more severe than with women. I am a male nude model for art classes and have posed nude in other more artistically creative ventures. I don't think my physique would be embraced in a straight up nude shot, that's for sure. Even a woman my age and relative shape would look good naked. Men look good when they're in great shape. There's also the size question, which can be very intimidating. i can deal with it because I'm older and students aren't judging me when they're drawing me. But I think if I was in my 20's and 30's, I might have a little apprehension about getting naked in front of women my age, unless of course i was really built and above average down there, too.

Mar 20 11 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Norman Gould

North Bend, Oregon, US

In general...(there are exceptions) I have found the males I have worked with to be more self consous and tight...  Women seem more like "posing" comes naturally for them.  Males seem to need to be doing something.  Just relaxing and "being" is not so usual for them.

I had two male nude models that were really great that it just came naturally to (not trying too hard)  This has just been my limited experience. And likely the small pool of choice I have had, has much to do with this..
On this site: the photography I see of male nudes, really does not show the genre I would work for.  Not my style.  So that does not help.

Most of my work was in drawing and painting.  Which is different.  Just lately into photography.

Mar 20 11 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

JonSeneca

New York, New York, US

It's not difficult to find male nude models at all, but most will not do tf work. One particular model I have worked with doesn't like his junk to be shown online. Alot of guys I have worked with are self conscious about what others will think or how they will be perceived.

Mar 20 11 07:10 pm Link

Model

1 Peter C

Modesto, California, US

This is a very interesting discussion.

I have been posing in drawing and painting classes for a few years now. It seems to me that artists who draw, paint and sculpt, readily accept a 'regular' body as opposed to photographers who want a great, young body.

I am trying to expand my modeling portfolio into photography but am having a difficult time finding a photographer who wants to shoot a middle aged male.

I have some ideas about where my body would fit into outdoor scenes such as old barns, abandoned buildings and such. See the concept?

Mar 20 11 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

BODYSHOP FEETURES

Clearwater, Florida, US

We always hear about women having body issues............I have found that this is not exclusive to women....but men as well.......especially when it comes to their penis (size).

I lived in South Florida for 7 months last year and had an opportunity to frequent a beach called "Hallover Park".   I believe it is the only legal nude beach in Florida.   Well the experience changed my whole attitude towards nudity.   At first I felt self conscious about being one of the few with a bathing suit on, then I figured....what the hell............now I'm no spring chicken but I found the experience very liberating.

Just a few thoughts.

Thanx to all those who responded and didn't turn this thread into a joke.

ciao,
Mark

Mar 22 11 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

I am not a Male Model but have worked with many.
Issues for hetero models....

where are pix going?
who are you?
is THIS FOR A GAY WEBSITE

And  'ill do nudes but not frontals.....'

ALOT IS MONEY FOCUSED......GUYS JUST WANNA GET PAID

Mar 27 11 11:35 am Link

Model

Trevor Mark

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Find the right ones. They're out there. wink

Sadly, my advice would be to almost search for a gay male who is in shape. They're less likely to fuss... about anything.

Mar 27 11 11:39 am Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Trevor Mark wrote:
Find the right ones. They're out there. wink

Sadly, my advice would be to almost search for a gay male who is in shape. They're less likely to fuss... about anything.

Agreed. They don't fuss and are really easy to work with normally. big_smile I had to tell my photographer friend of mine to ask gay guys for her nudes because she was having so much trouble finding male models.

Mar 27 11 11:46 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

Its about Money...if its TFP well good luck!

Mar 27 11 11:55 am Link

Photographer

PhotosbyAdrianRichards

Crane, Saint Philip, Barbados

Keep looking.... there are guys out there that have no issues with posing nude. Its all about the approach. Be professional and have a good body of work to show them what you are capable of...     Guys whether gay or str8 who are in great shape  body builders, athletes etc   are usually the type where you will find them...or just hire a professional

Mar 27 11 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Terrell Gates

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

punkuate wrote:

I beg to differ with you... The male nude has been the figure of choice by the great Classic artists of the Greek, Roman, Renaissance, eras... I shoot both but I find the male figure has more drama and definition. Remember... the male of most species has an abundance of the attributes of beauty to attract the female... Females hardly ever have attributes that match the male... Just saying...

Mar 27 11 11:57 am Link

Model

Darren Goldberg

San Diego, California, US

I do nudes mostly. It's for the money. Unfortunately many photographers offer me tfp for this type of shoot. It's amazing how some even get offended when I say no I only do paid work. I mean it's in my profile, did they even look. I don't do this for a living thank gawd.

Mar 27 11 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

ScorpioPics

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

when you find a BUYER or MARKET for male nudes which will allow you to sell or license your male nude images and pay a model top dollar - it will be worth worrying about.

Mar 28 11 01:16 am Link

Model

Valya

New York, New York, US

dunno, i get lots of male models asking to pose nude with me (even though i say on my page i dont model with men, lol)...maybe it's that they want to model with a female?

Mar 28 11 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

I have male nudes in my port, but he was a dancer and completely uninhibited...Try your local theatre or dance companies. You may have some luck there.

Mar 28 11 01:33 am Link

Model

HighMind9

Jacksonville, Florida, US

OMG PENIS!!!!
yikes

Like, OMG!

Mar 28 11 07:13 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Saw enough nekkid dudes in HS gym class, don't ever want to see any more!!;-(

Mar 28 11 07:20 am Link

Photographer

TrianglePhoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Most of the male models I've photographed have had experience modeling for College Figure Classes. Depending on the style you are looking for, that could be an avenue to explore for possible models.

I found that finding male models is similar to finding female models, once you have a few nudes in your portfolio, it is easier to find others to pose. It gives the potential subject a better idea about what types of images you are trying to create.

Mar 28 11 07:30 am Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Los Angeles, California, US

I would love to do it but just don't have the body for it.

Mar 28 11 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Lumiere Poetique

Acadia Valley, Alberta, Canada

MN Photography wrote:

Some guys look better naked than a lot of girls, but they are much more difficult to find.

Agree.

Mar 28 11 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Lumiere Poetique

I have some male nudes/nudish in my port.

I've been finding some men who pose nude who are willing to pose and who don't seem weird in all the wrong ways.

Best wishes in your search!

smile

Mar 28 11 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lumiere Poetique

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
This thread is fascinating - now I must do some male nudes.

You should.

Mar 28 11 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lumiere Poetique

Sol wrote:
OMG PENIS!!!!
yikes

Like, OMG!

Holy what?  Same here.

Mar 28 11 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

punkuate wrote:

In most cases, ain't that the truth.

Problem becomes what do you do with the dangly bits.

I would not do a female spread, because there would be more then I want to show. With a male it is more in your face, so to speak, and becomes more difficult to avoid. But it is all about the pose and lighting.

However if you are only into photographing nude 'hawt' babes, then your images will never stop being motivated by the little head, until you can do good/beautiful images of males. The truly good art photographer can photograph either, only the look will change.

Mar 28 11 12:57 pm Link

Model

Daniel Rannebarger

Columbus, Ohio, US

I am very new on here and just starting out, but i'm not inhibited in any.  Im looking to find a photographer to do nude/artistic nude/or with female shoot.  Someday id like to have some pics to submit to playgirl.  i think its been such a taboo for men to pose nude but its almost always expected for women.  i think it still all has to do with how comfortable the model/s is/are and the skill of the photographer when it all comes down to it.  i think it also has a lot to do with marketing example playboy vs. playgirl. just some thoughts

Mar 28 11 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

Valya  wrote:
dunno, i get lots of male models asking to pose nude with me (even though i say on my page i dont model with men, lol)...maybe it's that they want to model with a female?

Maybe its something else...lol

Mar 28 11 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

punkuate

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Herman Surkis wrote:
However if you are only into photographing nude 'hawt' babes, then your images will never stop being motivated by the little head, until you can do good/beautiful images of males.

I LOL'D. I shall inform my little head. wink

Mar 28 11 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lumiere Poetique

Terrell Gates wrote:

I beg to differ with you... The male nude has been the figure of choice by the great Classic artists of the Greek, Roman, Renaissance, eras... I shoot both but I find the male figure has more drama and definition. Remember... the male of most species has an abundance of the attributes of beauty to attract the female... Females hardly ever have attributes that match the male... Just saying...

And I think your work is fabulous!

Mar 29 11 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Incident Image

Los Angeles, California, US

Its a hypocritical world, though... Men can be topless in public legally and on TV, and women can't. (In the US anyway.)  That's partially nude right there.  And if you count that, every male model has shirtless pics, whereas not every female does.

Bottomless is another matter, but since a girl can be bottomless and still really not show anything (unless her legs are spread), it's a huge difference than a guy who has no choice but to let it all hang out.

Mar 29 11 10:22 am Link