Forums > Photography Talk > Photogenics users Where are you!!!!!

Photographer

A YLA M A M Agency

Los Angeles, California, US

I always hear AB, WL, Profoto and Hensel users but never hear from the proud powerlight users??? Lets hear from you all.

Sep 29 06 02:20 am Link

Photographer

David Bunch

Foley, Alabama, US

Been using Powerlights, Studiomasters and StudioMax II units for years.  Fine equipment.

Sep 29 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I have 6 powerlights. 5 500ws and 1 1000 ws.

I've had them for close to 5 years and haven't had a bit of trouble, not even a blown fuse.

I also have an ac/dc powerlight.

VERY, VERY satisfied user.

I also have a 3 light Pro Foto pack set and a 1200 WS ring light.

Everything in my port was shot with the Photogenics except one or two.

I prefer them to my expensive pro fotos.

Mark

Sep 29 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

A YLA M A M Agency

David Bunch wrote:
Been using Powerlights, Studiomasters and StudioMax II units for years.  Fine equipment.

Great to hear I thought I did my home work when I moved to strobes this year but others have termed photogenics as low end gear.  When I look at the specs I do not see low end gear at all.

Sep 29 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

A YLA M A M Agency

Gunfitr wrote:
I have 6 powerlights. 5 500ws and 1 1000 ws.

I've had them for close to 5 years and haven't had a bit of trouble, not even a blown fuse.

I also have an ac/dc powerlight.

VERY, VERY satisfied user.

I also have a 3 light Pro Foto pack set and a 1200 WS ring light.

Everything in my port was shot with the Photogenics except one or two.

I prefer them to my expensive pro fotos.

Mark

That sounds a lot like my setup minus the profoto gear of course.  I think I am years away from needing a profoto setup from a creative stand point.  Have you noticed color temp swings from unit to unit or at different watt settings?

Sep 29 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I have three Photogenic 1500s and one Norman 600 ws monolight. I got the Norman because it has the same watt seconds as the Photogenic 1500s (the new models have 500). I've only blown one fuse in several years of use, and no other problems. I've been quite happy with them.

BTW -- My Norman light is possessed by Satan. It's true. Stoopid Norman...

-P-

Sep 29 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

My location kit is Photogenic Photomaster (PM08) and I love it.

I’m also looking for more PM106Q25 & PM12SC heads

Sep 29 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jonathan sevilla

National City, California, US

I've been using photogenics for 8 years and I've had no problems.  I have one 1500s and in the market for a studiomax III 320..

Sep 30 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Rick Miller

Pasadena, California, US

I use Photogenic PowerLight 1250DR strobes for studio use and the STUDIOMAX III (AC/DC MonoLight) with a Quantam Turbo Battery pack for location shoots. I haven't had a problem yet.

Sep 30 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I have 3 photogenic 2500's, one 1500SL, one 1250DR, one 750SL and two 375SL's.

I am about as hard on lights as anyone can be.  They do go in for service occassionally, but I love them.  They are great lights.

Sep 30 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

DMHolman

Lynnwood, Washington, US

I love my Photogenics.  I love the tiny size and super light weight of the Photomaster PM04 400ws packs.  I have 2 packs, (4) PM10 and (2) PM12 heads.  I also have a backup EP378 pack which  is a non-variable 800WS pack.

For accessories I have 16" reflectors with diffusers and barndoors, 16" beauty dish, 2 full sets of grids, 2 sets of snoots, gel holder, deep reflectors and background reflectors.

For their size and weight alone I'd love these guys, throw in their power and build quality and I'm a happy camper.

Oct 01 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

When I operated my studio back in the mid-1970's, I owned a Photogenic 3 light studio kit and had a 1200w/s Versatron power pack with a single head and a 60" umbrella for locations & group shots.  When I closed the studio in 1976, I sold everything for about 50 cents on the dollar.  Man, I miss those lights. (and the RB67, and the Nikon F2, and the Pentax 1 deg spot and...........) *wipes nostalgic tear away*

Oct 01 06 06:36 am Link

Photographer

dysclover

never really liked photogenic lights ... i think it's a stupid name lol

Oct 01 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Been using Photogenic for years. Two of the heads I have probably came over on the Mayflower. They refuse to die.

Oct 01 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Abode Studio wrote:
Great to hear I thought I did my home work when I moved to strobes this year but others have termed photogenics as low end gear.  When I look at the specs I do not see low end gear at all.

Low end gear? What moron told you that?

PL 1250 with my favorite reflector: the 16" parabolic.

Oct 01 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

*2E*

Yorba Linda, California, US

love my 320 B's...(just enough WS for what i need AND real compact)
they've been across country countless times and are great for outdoor location shoots (using my  quantum batt. packs).

Oct 01 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Phil Amato Photography

I use PL2500 and 1250 units in my studio - - all shots in my port were taken with these monolights.

They rock harder than carerra marble - built like tanks.

One actually crashed from on top of an 8 ft. stand. Switched it on - - worked as if nothing occurred. None of my lights have ever required servicing.

I'm purchasing a location kit, but am shying away from their Studiomaxx lights since I think I may need more power.

The Powerlights are top end performers.

You can't go wrong

Phil

Oct 01 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Photogenics, "low end equip", thanks for my laff of the day...lol

Still have my novatrons from the 80's but it's all powerlights for me. 1250's & 1250DR's, 1000 shot's a day when I'm busy and just no problems, none!

Oct 01 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Orlando Perez

Anaheim, California, US

I use Photogenics 1250DR, I have four of them.  NEVER and I mean never have I had any problems with them.  Most of the shots I have on my port are used with the 1250DR.  In addition (no relation to Photogenics of course) I also use the Profoto ringflash with a Hensel Potty pack which it comes with it's own strobe light.  Also a great setup too for location shoots.

Oct 01 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I haven't noticed any color issues with mine.

The Pro Foto gear I have is more "blue" in color.

I don't mix and match them.

Whoever said the Photogenic stuff is low end is an absolute moron.

Not only are they built like tanks, but they have more features and adjustibility than just about any light system I know of.

That and they make a tone of light modifiers.

Let's see, a speed ring for a photogenic is $50.00.  A speedring for a Pro Foto is about 120.00.

They make a 24 inch and 16 in pan reflector that are very good. 

They also have snoots and grids for very reasonable prices.

Mark

Oct 01 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Photogenics (and any other monolight) on a high lightstand or even worse at the end of a boom arm were always a pain in the a** to adjust.  But now that Photogenics have the remote control, I don't need to get up on a ladder to adjust the power.  I love 'em.  I just got to keep track of the remote smile

It is still a lot of weight on the end of a boom arm....  Get lots of sand bags.

Oct 01 06 11:28 am Link