Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Let's Talk About Carving

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

Lanenga wrote:
To me this sounds all really obvious and is what I always tell people first.

When looking at 2D images, our brain tricks us in seeing 3D shapes/objects because that's what we have experienced throughout or life when growing up, but with enough practice you can make your brain see what's really there (insert matrix quote). A flat image with gradients on them.

So when people ask me how to become better at retouching, I tell them to train there eyes to see what's really there. This however is always a lot harder than just copying some techniques you've seen on some DVD.

When it comes to anatomy I'd like to suggest to get yourself a copy of Sobotta  or Grey's Anatomy. I find them a lot more useful now, then back when I was in med school.

That behaivor of mentally "abstracting" the forms so they are no longer seeing a nose but a pattern of highlights and shadows isn't something that comes naturally to people. It's definitely something that most people I've taught have to learn (and even after teaching them it's still hard for them to do). Once you "get it," then it's super easy and it's hard to imagine other people not being able to think like that, which is probably why it sounds super-obvious to you.

For those who haven't developed this ability, here are some methods that you can use to teach your brain (these seem crazy, but they work):
• blind contour drawings (draw an object in front of you without looking at the paper)
• draw an upside down image
• draw the "negative space" of an object instead of the actual object
Anything that gives your... "left brain" (I hesitate to say "left brain" as I've been hearing that theory is bullshit lately) a hard time will help you to develop this disconnect between the values and the "meaning" behind them. Sorry, this is tough to explain. 

Appreciate the anatomy book suggestions, I'll check them out. Btw, are you a doctor? Just curious.

Lanenga wrote:
I did see that image and I am still not convinced unless you would call this painting too

Click link for video

Interesting point. I guess it depends on how you define "painting." In this case of the last example and this new example, I wasn't just contouring the nose. A contour generally isn't meant to be viewed from a particular angle, and I think that's the main difference between contour work and "carving." To change the shape of the form to something that isn't there, first you have to build the structure in your mind or draw it on an overlay on the nose, then you have to think about the form of the nose/direction the light will hit/how the light will illuminate the form of the nose, then you have to use your technical understanding of Photoshop to carry it out in a way that reads as realistic (not sure I succeeded in that regard this time). The steps described is very close to the steps that an artist goes through when painting.

Contouring on the other hand isn't that anal. It's more loose, more subtle. It's meant to be viewed from all kinds of directions. The makeup artist is much less concerned about the way the light describes the form (I can say this because I'm a certified makeup artist), and more about the form in an ambient-light kind of way.

I wouldn't say "carving" is exactly the same as painting, but it's much more like painting than makeup contouring. 

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2xqfYPnVtIM/TwUWHjv5ORI/AAAAAAAAA-A/p4jEzXPeB04/s1600/nose-carving.jpg
Here I painted a nose and I carved a nose. During both I flexed the same artist muscles in my brain.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lqEasuXzf6o/TwUfBWmB6uI/AAAAAAAAA-M/Jt_l3A616Ho/s1600/cl_6b457f158207127deff117fdc86786bc.jpg
Here in a makeup contour guide from Kevin Aucoin you can see the general controuring areas, but much less thought goes into contouring like this compared to "carving". The makeup artist doesn't have to think about the direction of light and creating form that isn't there.

Stecyk wrote:
Your comment above with regard to color correcting with d&b reminded me of something I read in Gry Garness's ebook.

Page 15, digital RETOUCHING for FASHION, BEAUTY & PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY
photoshop CS5
Part 2 Skin Retouching
By Gry Garness
http://www.grygarness.com/photoshop/e-b … -books.htm

I am not positive that this information directly relates to your comments Michael about color correction.

However, I hadn't seen the color sampling before when dodging and burning. Perhaps some others hadn't either. So I thought I would mention it in case others find color sampling helpful.

Thanks, I've heard of this before and experimented with a little bit but maybe I should spend more time with it. Now this may not apply to you but in my personal experience I've noticed d&b newbies tend to dodge waaaay more than burn when they're first starting out, which is something to be careful of. When it comes to carving, dodging is more often used to remove depth by reducing the shadows than to add highlights, while burning is more frequently used to add depth. This is why lots of d&b newbies work looks really flat and bright. Again, not saying this is you, just be aware of this newbie tendency.

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
But you already know that smile
x

Aww you're too cute

Jan 04 12 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

HEEEEYYYY!!!

You know what they say...three's a party. Where's my invitation? HAHA. :-P

Michael C Pearson wrote:

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
But you already know that smile
x

Aww you're too cute

Jan 04 12 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

I somehow have this or similar imprinted in my mind. That's where my triangles and transitions come from, I guess.

During our discussion, I am reminded that I HAD to pay attention to lighting and anatomy.

Michael C Pearson wrote:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lqEasuXzf6o/TwUfBWmB6uI/AAAAAAAAA-M/Jt_l3A616Ho/s1600/cl_6b457f158207127deff117fdc86786bc.jpg
Here in a makeup contour guide from Kevin Aucoin you can see the general controuring areas, but much less thought goes into contouring like this compared to "carving". The makeup artist doesn't have to think about the direction of light and creating form that isn't there.

Jan 04 12 08:03 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan wrote:
HEEEEYYYY!!!

You know what they say...three's a party. Where's my invitation? HAHA. :-P

I thought the saying was "three's a crowd." I'll ravage you next, ladies first!

Jan 04 12 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Poor Natalia...she's stuck with us.

HAHA.

Oh boy....

Michael C Pearson wrote:

I thought the saying was "three's a crowd." I'll ravage you next, ladies first!

Jan 04 12 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stecyk

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Michael C Pearson wrote:
Thanks, I've heard of this before and experimented with a little bit but maybe I should spend more time with it. Now this may not apply to you but in my personal experience I've noticed d&b newbies tend to dodge waaaay more than burn when they're first starting out, which is something to be careful of. When it comes to carving, dodging is more often used to remove depth by reducing the shadows then to add highlights, while burning is more frequently used to add depth. This is why lots of d&b newbies work looks really flat and bright. Again, not saying this is you, just be aware of this newbie tendency.

Thank you for responding to my post and for the heads up. With regard to d&b and retouching in general, I am pre-newbie, so I appreciate your hints for when I put theory into practice. There never seems to be enough time to pursue everything. However, I do like following the posts in this forum. Many of you are generous with sharing your knowledge. Again, thanks.

Jan 04 12 09:54 pm Link

Retoucher

SterlingHein

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Michael C Pearson wrote:
When it comes to carving, dodging is more often used to remove depth by reducing the shadows than to add highlights, while burning is more frequently used to add depth. This is why lots of d&b newbies work looks really flat and bright.

Great point...I'm pretty certain I'm guilty of too much dodge and not enough burn.

Jan 05 12 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Grazian

Wolfsburg, Lower Saxony, Germany

The biggest quote I could make here on the Forum wouldnt fill all of your awesomeness

Love you all

Its sad that we all are living in different areas, i would really like to spend a afternoon with all of you in a Café , i would Pay the First round :-)

If only i could Share something back , but my Knowledge is far behind in that Field

Jan 05 12 12:35 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

I see the thread has matured, thanks to some individuals. Especially Michael C. Pearson. Looking forward to see where it goes from here. And thanks Ronald for having faith in it. smile

Jan 05 12 01:22 am Link

Photographer

You should participate too. You're one of the great artists and know what you're talking about.

:-)

Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:
I see the thread has matured, thanks to some individuals. Especially Michael C. Pearson. Looking forward to see where it goes from here. And thanks Ronald for having faith in it. smile

Jan 05 12 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

The illustration by Kevyn is the way make up should be thought out while applying. It doesn't take into account what the light will do, other than if it was flat city.

Most retouch on beauty is trying a little too hard to recreate impact, rather than create further depth in a way that was impossible with the light at the time.

All too often the chin and beside the mouth corners is hard to do without being obvious, and hard to shape without killing form. In most cases it should be lightened but not so much that there is a lack of contrast and relative depth to the rest of the picture.

This stuff is hard to put into words, glad some of you can.

Jan 05 12 02:07 am Link

Retoucher

Lanenga

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Michael C Pearson wrote:
That behaivor of mentally "abstracting" the forms so they are no longer seeing a nose but a pattern of highlights and shadows isn't something that comes naturally to people. It's definitely something that most people I've taught have to learn (and even after teaching them it's still hard for them to do). Once you "get it," then it's super easy and it's hard to imagine other people not being able to think like that, which is probably why it sounds super-obvious to you.

For those who haven't developed this ability, here are some methods that you can use to teach your brain (these seem crazy, but they work):
• blind contour drawings (draw an object in front of you without looking at the paper)
• draw an upside down image
• draw the "negative space" of an object instead of the actual object
Anything that gives your... "left brain" (I hesitate to say "left brain" as I've been hearing that theory is bullshit lately) a hard time will help you to develop this disconnect between the values and the "meaning" behind them. Sorry, this is tough to explain.

Good steps, will remember these and possibly "steal"/borrow them for when someone asks again.

But, I am well aware of the fact that this doesn't come natural to most people. Hence the comment about this possibly being the hardest part to learn for any retoucher.
But once you do, you finally SEE what was meant before. big_smile

Michael C Pearson wrote:
Appreciate the anatomy book suggestions, I'll check them out. Btw, are you a doctor? Just curious.

No, I quit long before I was close of becoming a doctor. Didn't enjoy it enough.
Did take me quite a few years before I had the guts to make  that decision, though.

There are a few retoucher here on MM I know of who actually are physician/surgeons. Wonder what their opinion on all this is.

Michael C Pearson wrote:
Interesting point. I guess it depends on how you define "painting." In this case of the last example and this new example, I wasn't just contouring the nose. A contour generally isn't meant to be viewed from a particular angle, and I think that's the main difference between contour work and "carving." To change the shape of the form to something that isn't there, first you have to build the structure in your mind or draw it on an overlay on the nose, then you have to think about the form of the nose/direction the light will hit/how the light will illuminate the form of the nose, then you have to use your technical understanding of Photoshop to carry it out in a way that reads as realistic (not sure I succeeded in that regard this time). The steps described is very close to the steps that an artist goes through when painting.

Contouring on the other hand isn't that anal. It's more loose, more subtle. It's meant to be viewed from all kinds of directions. The makeup artist is much less concerned about the way the light describes the form (I can say this because I'm a certified makeup artist), and more about the form in an ambient-light kind of way.

I wouldn't say "carving" is exactly the same as painting, but it's much more like painting than makeup contouring. 

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2xqfYPnVtIM/TwUWHjv5ORI/AAAAAAAAA-A/p4jEzXPeB04/s1600/nose-carving.jpg
Here I painted a nose and I carved a nose. During both I flexed the same artist muscles in my brain.

Nice explanation and it seems to be a matter of definition again, as always big_smile
But I can tell that you are a far better painter/illustrator than I am.

Funny how those off topic talks can sometimes become the most valuable.

Jan 05 12 02:44 am Link

Retoucher

Lanenga

*Double post

Jan 05 12 02:49 am Link

Retoucher

nebulaoperator

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi,

Lovely post coming and coming back to it. Was about to post a sample of carving but but stopped just a second before I saw a sample of make up contouring made by Michael. In terms of retouching is there a difference between carving and contouring?  So before I posted my sample I took precaution to ask fellows retouches smile

Jan 05 12 03:15 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

This was an extended email that was in response to question about carving, might as well repost it here. It mainly discusses some stuff that you'll run into if you decide to take up drawing/painting in an effort to carve/retouch better:

The kind of retouching that I posted in this thread is heavy on art theory, so you really need to take up painting/drawing as well as studying composition and color theory quite heavily to be able to do it at that level. When I'm talking about drawing/painting that's essentially inventing form from your imagination using your knowledge of form, the behavior of light, and the rules of perspective. You should be aiming to draw like this (not mine, and I should probably mention that none of the reference drawings in this post are mine):

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zxsUPzkR3gI/TwOuw0Jr5PI/AAAAAAAAAbg/k8kq1KzxgVM/s400/175.jpg

If you do decide to start painting/drawing expect that your drawings will be really ugly for quite a while. So many people try drawing and then quit because they think they "just aren't talented." The truth is that the mental skills that drawing/painting require aren't really used by humans for anything other than drawing/painting/(photography a little bit) so it takes time to develop them. The people you think are naturally good at drawing either spent a long time practicing, probably because someone told them they're "talented" which made them enjoy it more, or they memorized how to draw arrangement of lines that fools people into thinking they know how to draw.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TgKcWZo8i1E/TwOst6mCRII/AAAAAAAAAaI/V-AxaEczhmw/s640/1317227471179.png
Here you can see the difference between someone who has memorized the arrangement of line/uses symbols to represent form vs the person who corrected them who has learned how to draw properly by starting with form/perspective, then adding detail

If I had to estimate based on people I've personally come across, 90% of all non-professionals who draw anime/cartoons/comic book figures aren't really drawing as much as they are memorizing other artists' figures (meaning the poses/anatomy/other "hard" stuff) and backgrounds then mixing and matching in their mental database of other memorized artists' work in a way that makes them really believe the work they're showing to their friends and family is their own. I know what you're probably thinking: let's talk statistics! Very well. I'd say 55% have no idea they're just memorizing and then regurgitating arrangements of lines, and then other 35% are blatant art thieves who either trace or copy then imply the work is their own to get money or attention. Is it possible the person reading this post is in that unaware 55% who don't realize they aren't learning to draw at a fraction of the speed they could if they learned what in my opinion (abbreviated to imo as I'll be using it quite a bit) is the right way? Here's a way to test yourself. Draw something you find comfortable drawing. A favorite face, character, cute animal, your house, whatever. Now try to lower the viewpoint by about five feet so you're now looking UP at whatever your subject was. Can you draw it from this new angle? If not, you're probably in the 55% who only memorizes symbolism. That's okay if you are. I once was.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jp8Od9SoB88/TwOtQwogSzI/AAAAAAAAAac/UHx1cXnDno0/s1600/72.jpg

The sooner you admit you're at square one the better. The imo true way to learn involves learning how to see the world in simple shapes, then learn how to apply the theories of perspective to these simple shapes in a way that allows the artist to create the illusion of depth on a 2D surface. From there you study and understand the way light behaves. Once you get that, then it's all about learning how to render different forms, textures, anatomy and all that detail stuff. This is all separate from learning composition and color theory which you should be studying along side the actual "drawing." The composition and color theory is more important to retouching, but this post deals with the part that's harder to master but also important.

Behavior of light on a sphere

To really draw in a sense that you can construct images from imagination without depending on reference takes a very long time and ANYONE unless they have a mental handicap can learn. Intelligent people learn more quickly. You'll need this true sense of drawing skill to retouch in that appealing-to-look-at-polished-artistic-way, but you can do it if you really want to. The imo best place to start is this guys videos which will teach you how to draw basic forms (cubes, spheres) in space using correct perspective, and how to start thinking with "depth" in mind. http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials/videos Start at the beginning!

Here is a great collection of resources for a developing artist.

Also start drawing stuff you see and try to avoid "symbolizing" as much as possible, meaning drawing what you think it should look like (outlines and other shortcuts). Drawing what you actually see will feel really weird for a while. Concentrate on that actual shapes of the shadows and highlights. If you don't see any detail, don't draw any. Worry about details last. First block in the basic forms and try to get them as accurate as you can, but don't
spend too long on each piece.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_JSy4eg4ZrE/TwOttIWe_HI/AAAAAAAAAa0/eHxQGFoDVZQ/s320/79_plate_I_52_Lucius_junius_brutus.jpg
A really good exercise to help you avoid symbolism is to draw outlines around the shadow shapes (but no outlines to describe detail, ONLY places where there is an edge of a shadow)

Examples of starting with the basic forms then worrying about details last.

See if you can sign up for drawing of life drawing classes/workshops at local community colleges or other private art schools. Browse other art forums and post your work for critique, then take in the constructive advice. Draw for a few hours every day and in a year you'll see a DRAMATIC improvement in both your drawing and retouching. Here are some common beginner mistakes to look out for.

Jan 05 12 03:15 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

nebulaoperator wrote:
Hi,

Lovely post coming and coming back to it. Was about to post a sample of carving but but stopped just a second before I saw a sample of make up contouring made by Michael. In terms of retouching is there a difference between carving and contouring?  So before I posted my sample I took precaution to ask fellows retouches smile

I discussed the differences in this post, and just to be clear that image was made by the late Kevin Aucoin.

Jan 05 12 03:18 am Link

Retoucher

nebulaoperator

Can anyone tell me how to hook up files here without uploading them on the profile? I think I tried to place url from flickr but it didn't work.
Thanks

Jan 05 12 07:49 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

You could think of painting as frequency separation in reverse. Then carving is painting, except you are given the first level or two and, jumping in 'already in progress,' you finish it.

Jan 05 12 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Glad to have you join us, Thomas! :-)

Pull up a seat and help yourself to a virtual cuppa of Earl Grey and let's all be jolly and talk about carving until we all get bored from seeing these carving layers and anatomical graphics.

Jan 05 12 10:51 am Link

Photographer

[Redacted]: I'd also like feedback on my carving layer. I know I didn't paint in the the "triangle" without paying attention to gradients. I tried to "see" the cheek bone underneath.

Here is my practice on carving. For now, here are the practice files.

http://temp.ronaldnztan.com/Justin_Carv … E_ONLY.rar

https://temp.ronaldnztan.com/Justin_Carving/TAN_20110826_282_EDU_USE_ONLY_CARVING_LAYER.jpg

https://temp.ronaldnztan.com/Justin_Carving/Justin_Carving.gif

Jan 05 12 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

To nitpick, I'm not sure I agree with the brightening under the cheekbone bit above the 5 o'clock shadow and angle of the jaw.

It looks quite good, though.

https://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2009/03/20090309_topless_250x375.jpg

I spent some time wondering if the zygomatic arch (where the cheekbone hooks around to meet the ear) should be aiming more for the back corner of the sideburn than the front, but it seems unchanged from the original, so must be right as is.

Jan 05 12 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

This is the area that gets "dicey" as I did it for "stylistic" purposes.

Unless I did something dreadfully wrong, e.g. burning the forehead black, I think there is some leeway in my current version?

Perhaps if I tone down, it would be OK?

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
To nitpick, I'm not sure I agree with the brightening under the cheekbone bit above the 5 o'clock shadow and angle of the jaw.

It looks quite good, though.

https://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2009/03/20090309_topless_250x375.jpg

I spent some time wondering if the zygomatic arch (where the cheekbone hooks around to meet the ear) should be aiming more for the back corner of the sideburn than the front, but it seems unchanged from the original, so must be right as is.

Jan 05 12 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

I updated the files with the correction. I toned down the corrections.

https://temp.ronaldnztan.com/Justin_Carving/TAN_20110826_282_EDU_USE_ONLY_CARVING_LAYER_UPDATED.jpg

https://temp.ronaldnztan.com/Justin_Carving/Justin_Carving_UPDATED.gif

https://temp.ronaldnztan.com/Justin_Carving/TAN_20110826_282_EDU_USE_ONLY_AFTER_UPDATED.jpg

Jan 05 12 01:08 pm Link

Retoucher

nebulaoperator

hi Ron,

My carving is based on my observations so far and a little bit of knowledge which is quiet modest. Most of the things I picked up here at MM. Still every time when I do carving, contouring I stop for a while browse some profiles and follow the light and shadow lines, look for the changes in after image.         
  While I d&B I also carve but not too much to a point I think I confident what I do. One's all the preparation is done and image just about to be finished I start my final carving. I use 50% grey for this purpose, I would say quiet a few of them. I paint light and shadows enhance features that I want to stand out trying to follow the natural flow of light(hope I do so) then I use a thick strokes of light and shadow strokes like on my sample and blur them.It happened in the past that I tend to over do.It looks rather fake after. So I rather bit by bit.
   This is only a small illustration how I do it. Why I chosen 50% grey and blur? because I want to to make smoother transition in the gradient.
https://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/nebulaoperator/carving.jpg?t=1325799156

Jan 05 12 01:47 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
You could think of painting as frequency separation in reverse. Then carving is painting, except you are given the first level or two and, jumping in 'already in progress,' you finish it.

Exactly! That`s how I get people to understand FS

Jan 05 12 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

this particular thread is GOLDEN!

Jan 06 12 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

nebulaoperator wrote:
hi Ron,

My carving is based on my observations so far and a little bit of knowledge which is quiet modest. Most of the things I picked up here at MM. Still every time when I do carving, contouring I stop for a while browse some profiles and follow the light and shadow lines, look for the changes in after image.         
  While I d&B I also carve but not too much to a point I think I confident what I do. One's all the preparation is done and image just about to be finished I start my final carving. I use 50% grey for this purpose, I would say quiet a few of them. I paint light and shadows enhance features that I want to stand out trying to follow the natural flow of light(hope I do so) then I use a thick strokes of light and shadow strokes like on my sample and blur them.It happened in the past that I tend to over do.It looks rather fake after. So I rather bit by bit.
   This is only a small illustration how I do it. Why I chosen 50% grey and blur? because I want to to make smoother transition in the gradient.

When I started redoing my book 5 years ago, I made each image as you did above. Even last year I hacked some images with too much. The agencies DO NOT like it.

In retro respect , it was just way too much. If you take it that far it's like someone punched a pretty girl in the face.

Okay if you insist on the term , carving is something that has to at least correspond to the light. It is also something that should be subtle, or at least where used. What you posted to me is DB, and too much. Some of the examples posted take the DB first to a lower density ( darker) then is improved with this so called carving.

I said above, that the saturation is very noticeable when you've gone too far, and it's something that leaps out and screams unnatural.
Since this thread is looking for subtle but beautiful improvements, the above conditions insist there are limits to be very aware of.

Jan 06 12 01:07 am Link

Retoucher

nebulaoperator

Neil Snape wrote:
When I started redoing my book 5 years ago, I made each image as you did above. Even last year I hacked some images with too much. The agencies DO NOT like it.

In retro respect , it was just way too much. If you take it that far it's like someone punched a pretty girl in the face.

Okay if you insist on the term , carving is something that has to at least correspond to the light. It is also something that should be subtle, or at least where used. What you posted to me is DB, and too much. Some of the examples posted take the DB first to a lower density ( darker) then is improved with this so called carving.

I said above, that the saturation is very noticeable when you've gone too far, and it's something that leaps out and screams unnatural.
Since this thread is looking for subtle but beautiful improvements, the above conditions insist there are limits to be very aware of.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the notes. Even while I was uploading the sample I noticed that saturation is gone too far it began to look unnatural. Thanks for pointing that to me.
Will you correct me if I am wrong. So is the enhancement of the features and altering them not  carving any more. Like nose bridge, chin, cheek etc that have been intensified in my sample.
Does it looks so over done to your eye even at 100% view ?
Thanks

Jan 06 12 02:41 am Link

Retoucher

Bloom_reflection

Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria

I'm not  fan of the carving it's very easy to go over. IMO if the image has great lighting you don't need carving. Yeah you could touch here and there a little but that's all.

Jan 06 12 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Let's agree to disagree. The purpose of this thread is proliferating POSITIVE and HELPFUL (& FUN) tips and tricks on carving.

Carving isn't your thing, but for others (like myself), I rely on these tips and tricks to give my images my visual style. It is just another tool to go and to be sharpened in my toolbox.

Iliana Valeva wrote:
I'm not  fan of the carving it's very easy to go over. IMO if the image has great lighting you don't need carving. Yeah you could touch here and there a little but that's all.

Jan 06 12 10:11 am Link

Retoucher

nebulaoperator

Just went through the whole thread again:

Thanks for:

Ron - for keeping it up. I had a couple of hours of continuing  reading and thinking.Such an enthusiasm from you!
Michael -you always throw  heavy artillery and lots of different ammunition.When reading your reply  I have to scroll a lot.
NothingIsRealButTheGirl-  I have a row of new windows opened after your links smile
Lanenga- I might get Grey's Anatomy eventually.

Now Seriously I was doing carving on the samples provided here along the reading at the same time.Introduction to anatomy  by fellows participators made it much easier to make a sense where the light should follow or where the shadow should   occur. Zygomatic arch this one I will never forget in my life.Somehow it stuck in my mind. Maybe I simply love how this bone defines the face feature.
Secretly I was hoping that some guru retouchers would unleash they knowledge and burst it with reply button. Well I was too emotional here smile
Neb

Jan 06 12 02:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Lanenga

nebulaoperator wrote:
...Lanenga- I might get Grey's Anatomy eventually.

I meant of course Gray's Anatomy.

That's this one

and NOT this one

but you might be better off getting an anatomy book for artists.

Jan 06 12 02:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Lanenga wrote:
and NOT this one

I did learnt a lot about anatomy from http://tinyurl.com/7s5byoc
tongue

Jan 06 12 03:05 pm Link

Retoucher

nebulaoperator

Lanenga wrote:
but you might be better of getting an anatomy book for artists.

Do you have link for this one? smile

Jan 06 12 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Someone forget to count to 10! ;-)

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

I did learnt a lot about anatomy from http://tinyurl.com/7s5byoc
tongue

Jan 06 12 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

wow thank you all & esp ron tan for starting this thread

Jan 06 12 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

You're welcome. :-)

1472 wrote:
wow thank you all & esp ron tan for starting this thread

Jan 06 12 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Jan 06 12 11:14 pm Link

Retoucher

Duo Retouching

Warsaw, Mazowieckie, Poland

I've just printed off this whole thread. It's worth to be treated as a book.

Damn guys, you rock.

Jan 07 12 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Thanks for joining in, Mat! Please comment and feel free to contribute to the topic on carving.

Mateusz Musielak wrote:
I've just printed off this whole thread. It's worth to be treated as a book.

Damn guys, you rock.

Jan 07 12 11:49 am Link