Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > MUFE Flash Palette

Makeup Artist

JaclynGravesMakeup

Clifton, New Jersey, US

So I bought the MUFE Flash Palette quite a while back with good intentions for using it.. However, I usually just play it safe. Literally, the only thing I've used it for was contouring with the brown color... They are SO creamy! I've tried to use the black for eyeliner, but that was just a fail, it just...melted.

What do you use it for?

I am trying to get some ideas.. Literally, I am hopeless as it comes to those red, blue, green, etc... Trying to find some inspiration I guess smile

Jan 20 12 01:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

JaclynGravesMakeup wrote:
So I bought the MUFE Flash Palette quite a while back with good intentions for using it.. However, I usually just play it safe. Literally, the only thing I've used it for was contouring with the brown color... They are SO creamy! I've tried to use the black for eyeliner, but that was just a fail, it just...melted.

What do you use it for?

I am trying to get some ideas.. Literally, I am hopeless as it comes to those red, blue, green, etc... Trying to find some inspiration I guess smile

I use it alot.
I use it as a base for eyeshadow to  ake color pop.
Made foundatiom with it.
Lipcolor
Blush.

I can do a full look with only using the Flash pallet

Jan 20 12 01:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katy G

Yucaipa, California, US

I wish I had the fundage to purchase that palette! I'd have so much fun with it. smile

Jan 20 12 01:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LizW_Makeup

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Most of the time, I use it to mix custom lip colors. I've also used it for blush, and I've also mixed foundation with it (more for practice than in a work setting - it's fun though!) And it's great if I want to paint a design onto the eyes - the opacity is fabulous. It would be really hard to get that kind of vibrancy with just a powder.

Here's a few examples:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111008/16/4e90e36c53fea_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110511/16/4dcb1d856f5cc_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110117/16/4d34e17891e85_m.jpg

I agree that it's creamy so you'll need to set the color if you're using it anywhere that might crease (such as on the eyes).

Jan 20 12 01:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

bastian russ

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

LizW_Makeup wrote:
And it's great if I want to paint a design onto the eyes - the opacity is fabulous. It would be really hard to get that kind of vibrancy with just a powder.

i can only agree to that!!!

Jan 20 12 01:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ideally you work with it like an artists palette of primary colors - if you learn color theory or know color theory you can create any color in the spectrum with these colors - it's creativity unleashed.

Jan 20 12 01:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tara Pagliara MUA

New York, New York, US

If you want to use it as eyeliner ect you have to set it with  powder.  it def does melt down with warmth of the skin.

Jan 20 12 04:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cara Digate

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

Which setting powders do you (you being anyone who feels they can adequately answer this) recommend that work best for you when working with this palette? I have one that I use mainly for kit fx, and have had to reapply every few hours when the actors have sweated it off. I was using the MUFE HD microfinish powder, and as much as I love that powder, it didn't seem to stay as long as I needed it to.

Or, is this just something that I should come to expect when using this palette (the reapplying being necessary after it is effected by heat/sweat)? Any tips regarding this palette would be appreciated!

Personally, when using this palette to mix custom foundations, lip colors and blush, it's done a fantastic job. I have used some as a base for eye color as well, and occasionally it will stay without creasing, however using a primer beneath the flash color seems to keep it in place a little longer, and by little, I mean a few hours.

Jan 20 12 04:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tara Pagliara MUA

New York, New York, US

Cara Dugateau wrote:
Which setting powders do you (you being anyone who feels they can adequately answer this) recommend that work best for you when working with this palette? I have one that I use mainly for kit fx, and have had to reapply every few hours when the actors have sweated it off. I was using the MUFE HD microfinish powder, and as much as I love that powder, it didn't seem to stay as long as I needed it to.

Or, is this just something that I should come to expect when using this palette (the reapplying being necessary after it is effected by heat/sweat)? Any tips regarding this palette would be appreciated!

Personally, when using this palette to mix custom foundations, lip colors and blush, it's done a fantastic job. I have used some as a base for eye color as well, and occasionally it will stay without creasing, however using a primer beneath the flash color seems to keep it in place a little longer, and by little, I mean a few hours.

Its main purpose I believe was to give you something to work with to MIX with other mediums to give you any color you need. Using alone I have found that trying to do an entire eye out of it can be tricky because it does melt. You really have to set it with shadow or powder of the same color and a translucent powder after.  Its handy to have in your kit, but in all honesty I am not the biggest fan of it.

Jan 20 12 04:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

ROSHAR wrote:

I use it alot.
I use it as a base for eyeshadow to  ake color pop.
Made foundatiom with it.
Lipcolor
Blush.

I can do a full look with only using the Flash pallet

^ This!

I use it for Blush and Lips a lot!  For eyes, I use it as a base to make colors pop and I mix colors often to make colors I don't have.  I apply it with my fingers and/or brushes.  Depends on the look and how intense I want the color to be. 

You can sheer it out or build it up.  It's seriously so versatile, I can't live w/o it.

Jan 20 12 06:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jenni Defalco

Stevenage, England, United Kingdom

Im in the same boat, i bought it last year tried one crazy eye make up with it that went horribly wrong and im now too scared to use it! lol

Ive used it as lipcolours and the gold and silver are great when used on the eyes or skin but thats about it for me other than that it just sits there and looks pretty!

Id love to see more pics where this product is used peeps so feel free to post away! x

Jan 23 12 11:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Aviva Leah

Brooklyn, New York, US

Is there a way I can get the flash palette and use my MUFE pro discount? The only store near me that carries it is Sephora, but I can't use the discount there. Can I somehow order it directly?

Oct 04 12 04:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cassie Lyons MUAH

i learned a cool technique this week from my dept head. she mixed a touch of the coral color with kevyn aucoin sensual skin enhancer to conceal severe dark circles under the eyes of one of our actors. it was really unbelievable the difference. i was using a peach corrrector by bobbi brown but it just wasnt cutting it so she jumped in. you must try! i also really like this color on cheeks, as well.

the palette can really be used to color correct anything!

need to make a foundation color lighter or darker? flash palette can help!

try a touch of green with your moisturizer or primer to cancel out redness or mix with foundation if it isnt olive enough. use the red to make someone look sunburned for sfx work

try a bit of gold or silver (teeny amount) with cream to highlight cheekbones.

just keep playing and you will start to love it:)

Oct 04 12 06:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

I use it for so many things, color adjusting, lips, cheeks, eye primer, I've even used it in hair. Yes, you have to set it, and I like to use a liner with it when I put it on lips. But there is no way to achieve the versatility and options it provides in a kit friendly package in any other product outside of Lip Tars. I think if you have both you can get away with a very small kit. Those are two things I never, ever take out of my kit.

Oct 04 12 07:56 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

MUFE Flash Palette will ALWAYS be in my kit.

We ALL start out heavy-handed.... This product requires Practice and a LIGHT touch.

I no longer have an eye shadow primer in my kit. A super light layer of Flash set with OCC Loose Colors and BAM's the word.

Oct 04 12 10:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

R Roberts

Katy Gonzalez wrote:
I wish I had the fundage to purchase that palette! I'd have so much fun with it. smile

Same Here! I've been drooling over them for a while now lol. A few of my friends have them and I'm always jealous when they use them lol. But I'm sure they say the same about things I have in my kit that they don't as well, lol.

i do know that it makes a wonderful color corrector. not only for concealing dark circles, but also for adjusting primers and moisturizers to help cancel out redness, etc. definitely useful there, especially if you happen to have a client that suffers from rosacea or is a sunburned or even older and has the "wine-drinker" flushed look naturally. it's usefulness is endless!

Oct 04 12 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

JaclynGravesMakeup wrote:
...I usually just play it safe...

Exactly my thoughts... when the health and safety of my client is in the mix...

While I totally appreciate all the glowing reviews and initially had been an avid user of MUFE's rather pricey flash palette…. that is until a professional make-up artist (agency) in LA brought to my attention that using them inappropriately can indeed place a client at risk…

Wondering how many of the above artists posting in this thread have done due diligence to study the vendor’s product sheet…

Precautions:
Do not use following colors near the eyes : 002 - 005 - 017
Do not use following colors on the lips : 003 - 010 – 014

This is not hearsay, it is real click on the "HOW TO USE" tab

For those not included to review the vendor’s color code
002 vibrant coral
003 metallic silver
005 bright fuchsia pink
010 pure white
014 bright royal blue
017 bright red

Another issue is I frequently work with assistants who are allowed free access to my kit… I do not feel comfortable placing this burden on new emerging talent…

What to do?  I’ve found a far more cost effective vibrant cream palette (COLOR TATTOO by Eye Studio) which btw is made in the USA (also important to me)

But I totally agree, if used in an appropriate area MUFE Flash Colors are vibrant and translate extremely well on camera… 003 metallic silver used here...

https://www.restonstudio.com/gallery/Fgallery5-8.jpg

"And may the odds be ever in your favor"

Oct 05 12 06:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel MC

Dinuba, California, US

Aviva Leah wrote:
Is there a way I can get the flash palette and use my MUFE pro discount? The only store near me that carries it is Sephora, but I can't use the discount there. Can I somehow order it directly?

You can use your MUFE discount on the flash palette. It runs around $65. I bought mine at Namies. You can call in an order at Namies (possibly frends too) and at the NY boutique (should be the same for the LA boutique?). I'd call where ever is closest to you and find out.

Edit: I just noticed you are in Rhode Island... so calling the NY boutique would be your best bet.

Oct 05 12 09:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel MC

Dinuba, California, US

Cara Digate wrote:

From my understanding the HD microfinish is just a finishing powder, not necessarily a setting powder. I have the super matte loose powder in zero that I use as a setting powder. Maybe someone can clarify?

Also, I'd check out KJB's in my kit for recommendations. smile

Oct 05 12 10:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Aviva Leah

Brooklyn, New York, US

I didn't see the palette on Naimie's but I will try calling there or the NY store. Thanks so much for the help smile

Oct 05 12 03:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Etre Vu

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a nube but I have this product and am going to use it this weekend. This may sound ridiculous but....I'm a nube. What can i use as a mixing medium to extend the product without diluting the pigment too much? I'll be using the black for a tribal tattoo look and am not necessarily fond of using the entire stock for a tfp shoot...Obviously not water cuz grease=oil and the two dont mix. SOS!!!

Apr 04 13 10:23 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Etre Vu wrote:
I'm a nube but I have this product and am going to use it this weekend. This may sound ridiculous but....I'm a nube. What can i use as a mixing medium to extend the product without diluting the pigment too much? I'll be using the black for a tribal tattoo look and am not necessarily fond of using the entire stock for a tfp shoot...Obviously not water cuz grease=oil and the two dont mix. SOS!!!

You can get a pot of a single color - and refill your palette as needed. Be prepared to do this rather than risk cutting the pigment load. The product is very pigmented - so a little goes a long way.

HOWEVER - Flash color is NOT my first choice for a detailed design that requires crisp lines. Consider a face paint - that's their sweet spot and what they're designed for.

Apr 04 13 12:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Etre Vu

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

That was my next question! Since the shoot is tomorrow and I only have craft stores, walmarts, and drugstores around me....any particular brand?

Apr 05 13 05:56 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Use anything but craft paint or markers....

Michael's sells face paint now.

Or you can use a liquid eyeliner to paint the design edges - then fill with another product such as your Flash black.

Apr 05 13 08:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

You could also line with liquid eyeliner as Lisa suggested and also get a couple of NYX eye crayons in black to fill in, then set with colourless powder or set with a spray such as Final Seal. It should last well enough for a photoshoot.

Apr 05 13 09:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tegan Ridge

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I just got the MUFE flash palette, what are your favourite mediums to mix it with?  I'm intrigued!  I've just been playing with painting and trying to get used to the consistency.  x)

Apr 08 13 07:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brandi Bravo

San Diego, California, US

Rachel MC wrote:

From my understanding the HD microfinish is just a finishing powder, not necessarily a setting powder. I have the super matte loose powder in zero that I use as a setting powder. Maybe someone can clarify?

Also, I'd check out KJB's in my kit for recommendations. smile

I can vouch for this! I attended a seminar at the LA pro loft and was informed by the MUA that the HD powder is a finishing powder and NOT a setting powder. When I make foundations with my flash palette, I find that setting with MUFE's Super Matte works best. smile

Apr 17 13 03:54 am Link