Forums > Model Colloquy > Models who absolutely don't do nudes ....

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

AJScalzitti wrote:

Damn and here I thought this moronic thread would die, anyone have a wooden stake...

Come back Buffy, all is forgiven.

Aug 21 12 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Sarah Thiessen wrote:
in my own personal opinion and experiences, one bad photo can ruin a whole crew of opportunities.. one leak of that embarassing shot, that you stuck it out through juuust for a small pay cheque that you could have gotten another way to NOT ruin your reputation, it just seems less risky, to say no regardless... however being that this photographer may be extremely experienced, and possibly admirable, i would say its a win win win for the model here.. given the fantastic guaranteed photos, the experienced photographer you can trust ( or hope to) and possibly money to come out the other end as well if your photos turn out successful! besides, i hear theres lots of money in nudes wink i think given the right circumstances, almost any model would say yes to a nude or implied at some point due to creative expression, being a woman, embracing yoru inner self, and boosting your confidence in the meantime.. it may even just make that model 10 times more comfortable because all baracades are down and your most vulnerable.. if you can perform well this way, i think thats a stepping stone to being a fantastic model, regardless if pursue the nude end of things.

There is NOT "lots of money in nudes" as a rule.  It makes it more likely for a model to get paid, in general, but there is no pot of gold, just a bit of cash, in a few cases, enough to live modestly.

Aug 21 12 10:08 am Link

Model

Reizvoll

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Patrick Walberg wrote:
If you are a model who doesn't do nudes, is this non negotiable or ... do you have a price?   The details of this question would be if a photographer of the quality that you admire were to offer you any amount of money (within reason), is there a dollar amount that would get you to change your mind? 

The reason for this question is that another photographer and I were discussing if models were absolutely "non-negotiable" on nudity or if there are some that could be persuaded with the right amount of money?

Some say "Will go nude ONLY for Playboy" for example.  If you are absolutely "non-negotiable" could you please elaborate on why?  I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm curious to learn more about just how negotiable some models are. Discuss!

not for me, as im a Childcare Worker. I rather not loose my main career

Aug 21 12 02:27 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Reizvoll wrote:

not for me, as im a Childcare Worker. I rather not loose my main career

I sure hope you're not teaching.

Aug 21 12 06:40 pm Link

Model

Ani A

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kaia Murphy wrote:
I can only speak from personal experience, and that's exactly what I intend to do.

On the left side of my profile, it says "No" to shooting nudes. However, I have done nude shoots, and I am willing to do them again if I like the particular photographer's work (specifically his/her nude work). I have now addressed that contradiction in my "About Me" section on my profile. It's in the first paragraph actually. wink

I've discussed the Yes/No issue with photographers one-on-one, and have been advised that it's probably best to leave it "No," and let individual photographers bring up the idea of doing nudes if that's what he/she wants to do.

I've also had photographers advise me against changing my status on it because a "Yes" response has a tendency to attract GWCs. I realize it's the opinion of a few select photographers, but I'm in agreement with them.

I initially had it as "Yes," and I was indeed contacted by GWCs. I might change it back if I decide somewhere along the line that I want to focus on nude modeling. For the time being, however, I will continue to leave a "No" answer for whether or not I shoot nudes.

Does any of that makes sense? smile I hope so.

Agreed!

Aug 23 12 06:31 am Link

Model

Kira non

Andover, Connecticut, US

I think sadly that men in general who also make up most of the photographers who want to shoot nudes do not care about other people's futures or feelings enough to accept a simple no and not be pushy. This is comparable to alot of areas of life where men "coerce" women/girls into doing things they do not want to do simply for their own gain.

In other words men are selfish they simply do not care how they get what they want or how them getting what they want hurts you as a person. As long as they get what they want they are happy.

And that is why fathers never trust any man to take their daughters on a date etc.. because men know what other men are truly like. The same is true of men even in job settings like modelling. If they can bribe you to do it then they are happy. If you then get emotionally distraught, lose your job over it, or lose future modelling opportunities over it as far as they're concerned it doesn't matter one bit cuz woohoo they got to shoot a woman naked in the name of "art".

Sadly that is the world we live in, people are selfish and they will lie, coerce, cheat and steal to get their way.

In other words photographers will never learn to simply take no as an answer, they will always try to "talk/bribe/guilt you into doing it" no matter what your concerns are and no matter how many examples of these decisions hurting other girls you bring up. It's called "lack of empathy" and until men get more of it the world will always be a dangerous place.

Sep 11 12 11:07 pm Link

Model

Kira non

Andover, Connecticut, US

Neil Snape wrote:

That is very low. Almost criminal.  Doing nudes has to be a thing of confidence in each other.

I have shot nudes that will never be published or shared unless the model says they want to. It's just like that with me. And, I also have respect for those who don't want to do nudes. Yet whatever you do , do it well and with conviction, and everyone will win.

Shame on that disgusting photographer!

Sadly not everyone has this level of respect for other human beings. A person's nudity is very, well personal, there are some things that should just be held in higher respect. Yet not everyone gets that point. It makes life very frustrating to have to constantly be in fear of coming across these kinds of crazy/disrespectful people.

Sep 11 12 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

the phenomenona of the photographers obsessed with nudity and nudes only.
I found the comments of the upscale scouting male agent to be very interesting, here:

DVD "Fashion Photography Exposed" by Melissa Rodwell
Part #6. "Model Agency Interview" starting 12m:44s

in essense, the best photographers of women's beauty are usually female photographers or gay men photographers. (maybe I generalize too much, because it was more FASHION, than glamor related).

being a straight male, I probably don't have much chances to succeed in this department smile so, I don't shoot nudes much, if any, recently.

Sep 11 12 11:19 pm Link

Model

Myrna Byrna

Chicago, Illinois, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
If you are a model who doesn't do nudes, is this non negotiable or ... do you have a price?   The details of this question would be if a photographer of the quality that you admire were to offer you any amount of money (within reason), is there a dollar amount that would get you to change your mind? 

The reason for this question is that another photographer and I were discussing if models were absolutely "non-negotiable" on nudity or if there are some that could be persuaded with the right amount of money?

Some say "Will go nude ONLY for Playboy" for example.  If you are absolutely "non-negotiable" could you please elaborate on why?  I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm curious to learn more about just how negotiable some models are. Discuss!

These type of threads have nudged me over to doing nudes. Guess it didn't take long but, I do feel like I am very lucky with who I have shot my nudes with!

ki era wrote:
I think sadly that men in general who also make up most of the photographers who want to shoot nudes do not care about other people's futures or feelings enough to accept a simple no and not be pushy. This is comparable to alot of areas of life where men "coerce" women/girls into doing things they do not want to do simply for their own gain.
In other words men are selfish they simply do not care how they get what they want or how them getting what they want hurts you as a person. As long as they get what they want they are happy.

Hi, What you express here sounds more like human trafficking than modeling. Yikes.

Jen-Gennaver

Sep 12 12 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Alex Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

OK, Everyone has a price. Granted, one may not see theirs here but, everyone has a price.

As far as posting "does not do nudes". except it. If a photographer is looking to shoot nudes, why waste time trying to bend a model who has posted that she/he will not. Are there model who say one thing and mean another? Of course. How much time do you have to waste finding this out, and for what purpose. There's no one model that you can't live without shooting naked.

The real question here should be, why do you care? Why does it matter so much to you? Will your query benefit the outcome. Personally, I've always wondered why tons of people on MM post "Very Experienced", just to follow it with images that don't reflect. Or just the opposite, "No Experience" with stunning photos.

OK, I'm off topic. I'm out.

Sep 12 12 08:34 am Link

Model

Myrna Byrna

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kevin Alex Photography wrote:
OK, I'm off topic. I'm out.

Was this a drive by? A hit n run? wink

Sep 12 12 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Alex Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Myrna Byrna wrote:

Was this a drive by? A hit n run? wink

Sorry, I caught the blog during work and threw in my 2 cents between what I'm suppose to be doing. LOL

Sep 12 12 10:17 am Link

Model

Charlottte

London, England, United Kingdom

Nudes are completely off limits to me. I've seen a small handful of photographers that can pull off nudity with complete dignity and it is beautiful. But there is a lot of amateur photography on here, which is girls getting their tits and bits out for no reason apart from the fact they can.

Personally, I think getting naked is a very personal thing, and something I share only with my partner. I couldn't imagine doing that, or even being that comfortable with anyone, let alone a photographer.

I also know a lot of people who are suicide girls/front girls etc and they are harassed daily by pervert men who have seen them online. That's not something I could be bothered with. I'd rather just not do it.

I've been 'persuaded' with money and basically having photographers begging. The second that happens, I delete them, the messages and never speak to them again. It's disgustingly unprofessional and a genuine photographer will want to photograph you with clothes on or off. If not, they're not worth your time.

Also, isn't it better to leave something a mystery rather than having it all out for the world to see?

Charlotte

www.facebook.com/CharlottteModel

Sep 12 12 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Images by MR wrote:
I don't understand the need to try and persuaded a model who doesn't wish to shoot nudes to shoot nudes.  I mean aren't their enough models on MM willing to do nudes either for tf or paid ?/

Just my thoughts ~ MR

Pressuring models to go above and beyond (both in front of the camera and elsewhere) is SOP for many photographers.

I'm not good, charismatic, attractive, or rich enough to get away with that.

Sep 12 12 10:51 am Link

Model

Alexis Montclaire

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you are absolutely "non-negotiable" could you please elaborate on why?

Because I model as a hobby/part-time thing; I work a corporate job by day and cant really participate in that genre due to that. I know its been offered in the thread that a lot of people posters know who are now in 'professional' positions did nude work and it didnt harm them - but the potential is always there. All it takes is one angry person in your life with that knowledge, and then your nipples are being faxed to your boss. Id rather not have it hanging over my head.

Since Im short, its consistently beaten into my face that "lol, shoot nude or fail - no one else wants or needs you, shorty" - seemingly trying to corner me into it with fears of failure or not being taken "seriously". I politely disagree.

Edit: The only caveat to that would be particularly well concept-ed/graceful implied, and even then Id ask that my face not show.

Sep 12 12 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Pete Georges

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

Images by MR wrote:
I don't understand the need to try and persuaded a model who doesn't wish to shoot nudes to shoot nudes.  I mean aren't their enough models on MM willing to do nudes either for tf or paid ?/

Just my thoughts ~ MR

........ + 1.

Sep 12 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Wild Image Media

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

If models are not up for nudity its completely their choice - only an arsehole would pressure them otherwise

Sep 12 12 12:37 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

I do not do nudes and never would for any amount of money because the reasons behind why I don't do them is about my faith and my marriage. For me those are two strong reasons for why I don't do nudity it's not that I just don't want to do it.

Sep 12 12 12:52 pm Link

Model

AGinger

Kearney, Nebraska, US

I do NOT do nudes. It is non- negotiable. I do not have anything against models who do, but personally, I just won't do it. It's not because I am religious, it's not because getting in front of a camera is immoral, it's just a personal choice, and I let photographers that
I work with know that and I have never been pushed to do something that I won't do.

Something that really bothers me is when a model says NO NUDES but they are basically naked in their photos anyway... It makes me think, "What's the point?"

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Sep 12 12 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

So it's not a big deal, a little respect goes a long way.

But if you hired a nude for nudes n she doesn't want to do her end of the contract..... it's you!

Sep 12 12 04:26 pm Link

Model

Miss Leilani Jade

Decatur, Alabama, US

no to nudity for me anyway

Sep 12 12 05:20 pm Link

Model

Myrna Byrna

Chicago, Illinois, US

Charlottte wrote:
Nudes are completely off limits to me. I've seen a small handful of photographers that can pull off nudity with complete dignity and it is beautiful. But there is a lot of amateur photography on here, which is girls getting their tits and bits out for no reason apart from the fact they can.

Personally, I think getting naked is a very personal thing, and something I share only with my partner. I couldn't imagine doing that, or even being that comfortable with anyone, let alone a photographer.

....Also, isn't it better to leave something a mystery rather than having it all out for the world to see?

Charlotte

www.facebook.com/CharlottteModel

Hi Charlotte,

I agree, it is a very personal thing. I also agree that there are a lot of reasons people do nude, (maybe they do like the thrill of tits and bits...for both model and photographer.)

I also agree that leaving something a mystery is nice yet, clothing is not necessarily what gives the mystery.

Since I am very new to nudes, (since the end of this July) I am also very biased in the photographer's styles that I've been lucky to work with. I think they've done an amazing work and my port here is only of them. If you take a look, please consider the credit is to their talent and art.

Jen
Couple more shots in my new fb page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gennaver/ … 2953780051

edit: okay, okay, I really need to leave this thread now. smile it has wooes me and I've already said that the reason my main profile has 'no' clicked it because it didn't leave me the option to leave it blank and now I have this profile. Thanks y'all. It seems that everyone is pretty respectful of each other's choices. Nice.

Sep 12 12 06:08 pm Link

Model

Harley Ginger

Greenville, South Carolina, US

My nudity policy is non-negotiable. My reasoning is that I feel if I wouldn't show my family my photos, I shouldn't be doing them. I'm also happily married so I feel that the only person who should see me naked is my husband. Also, one of the reasons I started modeling is show people that you don't have to wear a g-string and pasties or go nude to be sexy. I do have an appreciation for artistic nudes, but they're just not for me. I'm trying to help bring back an appreciation for classic, vintage glamour smile

Sep 12 12 10:10 pm Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

I say I will not shoot topless/nude for anyone. I did do a fashion/artistic topless set twice (tfp) with a photographer that I really liked his work but besides that I have refused every offer to shoot nudes/topless. I bet if someone offered me like $5,000 I'd do it...only if it was a artistic concept with an amazing photographer tongue 

But to the point: It's not really the money, it's just not something that I would want to do with my career, or have them floating all around the internet smile

So most likely my tits and bits will remain hidden in my photos but they will still be edgy as always

Sep 14 12 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

ki era wrote:

And that is why fathers never trust any man to take their daughters on a date etc.. because men know what other men are truly like. The same is true of men even in job settings like modelling. If they can bribe you to do it then they are happy. If you then get emotionally distraught, lose your job over it, or lose future modelling opportunities over it as far as they're concerned it doesn't matter one bit cuz woohoo they got to shoot a woman naked in the name of "art".

Sadly that is the world we live in, people are selfish and they will lie, coerce, cheat and steal to get their way.

In other words photographers will never learn to simply take no as an answer, they will always try to "talk/bribe/guilt you into doing it" no matter what your concerns are and no matter how many examples of these decisions hurting other girls you bring up. It's called "lack of empathy" and until men get more of it the world will always be a dangerous place.

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences with males.  There are men who feel the same way, in general, about women.  They think women can never be trusted and are always looking to take advantage of them.  Wish I had an answer.

Sep 15 12 08:18 am Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Harley Ginger wrote:
My nudity policy is non-negotiable. My reasoning is that I feel if I wouldn't show my family my photos, I shouldn't be doing them. I'm also happily married so I feel that the only person who should see me naked is my husband. Also, one of the reasons I started modeling is show people that you don't have to wear a g-string and pasties or go nude to be sexy. I do have an appreciation for artistic nudes, but they're just not for me. I'm trying to help bring back an appreciation for classic, vintage glamour smile

I rarely aim for sexy with nudes, and I've never shot a model in "g string and pasties."  With the right model and photographer, nudes can be beautiful.  But I'm happy to respect the choices of those who don't want to shoot them.  I do ask that they respect my choice, and that of the models I work with.

Sep 15 12 08:21 am Link

Model

Abigail Rose Hill

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

For so long as I have any sort of association with the Beauty Pageant industry, nudes aren't really an option for me.

If I ever sever that tie completely (I rarely compete but still have the association via mentoring contestants and helping organise) I may reconsider, but until then...no exceptions.

Sep 15 12 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

PR Zone

London, England, United Kingdom

I've had a couple of occasions where I've talked a llama out of it.
One of them had done 'nude life drawing classes' as a llama in another country and when we met (over a coffee prior to shooting) to discuss ideas, she explained her main job was 'real world marketing for serious businesses'...  By the time the lattes were gone, so was her enthusiasm to shoot nude.
In the old days, 'forget' waste default and you had to make an effort to 'remember stuff'.
With the web, 'remember' is now the default and nude shots of any llama in the world would be close to impossible to eradicate.
So 'do it' or 'don't do it', just give the consequences 5 minutes :-)

Sep 16 12 03:30 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Art of the nude wrote:
I have no interest in convincing, or bribing, someone.  I also know that for whatever reason, some models who are comfortable with the idea of shooting nudes don't say so publicly.  So, I've asked.  Usually along the lines of "this is what I do, if it interests you, let me know." 
Last time I checked, 1/3 of my portfolio was models whose profiles said no to nudes at the time we shot.

I totally understand that sometimes a model will check no nudes, but be open to it and also understand why checking with an interesting model would be a good idea.

What I don't get is the notion that every model needs to be persuades to get naked, in the minds of some, to the point that they're scheming about new ways to apply pressure.  Or continuing to pursue a model after she's said she's not interested (whether temporarily or permanently.) When there are thousands of models that don't need pressure and bribing.

I've never understood that.

Sep 16 12 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

houstonryan

American Fork, Utah, US

I think a lot of them write "no nudes" so they don't get bombarded with requests to shoot nudes by every guy with a camera on MM...even if they are willing to do nudes with the right photographer.

Sep 16 12 09:47 pm Link

Model

Christopher Meadows

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

I don't think nudes would help me in my goals for llamaing and that's the only reason I don't do them.

Sep 19 12 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Personalities of Jordan

Houston, Texas, US

This is such an interested thread because I've had a similar curiosity and I have actually asked a few models, although only one of them actually responded and was very rude in his answer. ( I was not rude or unprofessional when I asked the question.)

It bugs me when a model says they don't do nudes yet clearly has nudes in their own portfolio. I understand maybe they don't anymore, I get it. Honestly I'd rather a model say they will do nudes but just not with me than to say they don't when clearly they do.

But more to the original post, I have asked three different models about doing nudes because I saw nudes in their portfolio, even though their profile says they don't. I acknowledged seeing the "no" selected but that "I see in your portfolio you have done nudes in the past and I wonder if you would consider it again". Two did not respond at all but the one who did said I must be gay and just want to see him naked if I'm asking this question. I let it go because I saw no point in arguing about it, but if I was only interested in seeing him naked, I could have simply looked at his own portfolio.

Sep 19 12 10:06 am Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

When there are soooooooo very many willing, capable and liberated nude models, who even needs to worry about the ladies that won't or why?

For me it's nothing, it's without boundaries and trappings, it's liberating and feels great (pics are pretty damn cool too). I expect that one day a family member or colleague will see one of my nudes and I'm cool with that reality.

Sep 19 12 10:15 am Link

Model

Lucy Mariela

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There could be many reasons why a model doesn't do nudes.
A) They're not exactly comfortable in their own skin.
B) They're uncomfortable being naked in front of a stranger.
C) A former photographer tried to go out of their way to touch a model inappropriately. (Like me for instance)
Etc.

Its wrong for a photographer to bribe a model to do a nude shoot. Also its very unprofessional. Its greedy & selfish of someone to do that. Photographers should respect models in their wishes. If they don't want to do nude, they don't want to do nude. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. Leave them alone and find a model who is interested in doing a nude shoot.

Sep 19 12 10:26 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Saedcantas wrote:
When there are soooooooo very many willing, capable and liberated nude models, who even needs to worry about the ladies that won't or why?

Ding ding ding DING !

Sep 19 12 10:37 am Link

Photographer

FBY1K

North Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Del

Sep 19 12 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Glamour by Glenn

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

ki era wrote:

Wow, hate men much?

Sep 19 12 10:49 am Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Los Angeles, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Models who don't do nudes may have many reasons, including but not limited to, future career ramifications.  If they plan to become news reporter or anchor or run for public office one day, these nudes photos might be a career killer.  Others may be concerned about family and friends.  In any case, trying to persuade someone to do nudes doesn't seem necessary.  But some are probably in need of money and can be persuaded, but as a photographer, I wouldn't try to persuade anybody.  Just find models who would.

Sep 19 12 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Distorted Horizon Photo

Denver, Colorado, US

Lucy Mariela wrote:
There could be many reasons why a model doesn't do nudes.
A) They're not exactly comfortable in their own skin.
B) They're uncomfortable being naked in front of a stranger.
C) A former photographer tried to go out of their way to touch a model inappropriately. (Like me for instance)
Etc.

Its wrong for a photographer to bribe a model to do a nude shoot. Also its very unprofessional. Its greedy & selfish of someone to do that. Photographers should respect models in their wishes. If they don't want to do nude, they don't want to do nude. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. Leave them alone and find a model who is interested in doing a nude shoot.

I agree with the last bit you said, but Your "C" option really doesn't make sense to me.

A douche bag photographer that is going to try and "touch" you as a model inappropriately. You do not have to be nude for that. I don't understand how clothing protects you from inappropriate conduct?
I have never understood that logic.

As for the "bribe" part.

Hey, money talks.

Sep 19 12 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Shifting Paradigm Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

It's their choice and their right to say what they wish, where they will do it, and what their limits are. Move on. Some pose nude, some don't. It ain't rocket science.

Sep 20 12 08:03 am Link