Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

What can a photographer do?

Jul 22 12 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

Be more specific about you want them to bring.

Have your own wardrobe in stock.

Ask for photos before hand.

Make do.

Shoot nudes.

Jul 22 12 04:59 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Through Elizabeths Eyes wrote:

Make do.

Shoot nudes.

+1 on all that ^_^

It can be difficult to decide what to bring when a photographer is not somewhat specific.

Jul 22 12 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Make it work - that's usually why I ask a model to bring anywhere from 5-9 outfits/pieces with them, so I can go through and choose the ones I like best! Otherwise, i'd say do something as creative as possible, and try to muster through and make it work if the wardrobe is *that* bad.

Jul 22 12 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Make do.

Shoot nudes.

This.

And be both reasonable and flexible.  Reasonable in your expectations, and flexible in your implementations.

Jul 22 12 05:04 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

love all the responses.

there is also what i had someone do once...make last-minute outfits from scraps of fabric and once even a plastic garbage bag lol. can make for some interesting "high fashion"

Jul 22 12 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why would you leave that to a model?  Seriously I know not everyone has a full team to shoot with and finding a good stylist if you don't do a lot of commercial work is difficult.  If that is the case style your own shoots.  Decide on your concepts and ideas before the shoot and work with your MUA to get an idea on colors then source wardrobe.

It's a TF* shoot so it's for your portfolio, no reason to waste time and effrot half assing it.

Jul 22 12 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

AJScalzitti wrote:
Why would you leave that to a model?  Seriously I know not everyone has a full team to shoot with and finding a good stylist if you don't do a lot of commercial work is difficult.  If that is the case style your own shoots.  Decide on your concepts and ideas before the shoot and work with your MUA to get an idea on colors then source wardrobe.

It's a TF* shoot so it's for your portfolio, no reason to waste time and effrot half assing it.

There is a certain reality for new photographers with not a lot of choices.
Models aren't exactly pounding down the doors clamoring to work with me.

Jul 22 12 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

Antediluvian Design wrote:

Mission Viejo doesn't have a Goodwill?

New photographers are incapable of having styling ideas and working with the llama to make it happen?

Or are new photographers just incapable of properly communicating what they want to shoot?

As a llama who's worked with numerous new photographers, the last one tends to be more of an issue than anything else.

Jul 22 12 05:16 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I've done this before.
xD

Jul 22 12 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Mission Viejo doesn't have a Goodwill?

New photographers are incapable of having styling ideas and working with the model to make it happen?

Or are new photographers just incapable of properly communicating what they want to shoot?

As a model who's worked with numerous new photographers, the last one tends to be more of an issue than anything else.

Very true. I am working on the communication part.

Jul 22 12 05:19 pm Link

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

Sounds like you're just making excuses for yourself. One certainly doesn't need a full team and an infinite wardrobe available for an amazing image.

At the very least, you CAN communicate with the model about some wardrobe ideas. If it is a TF shoot she is more than likely going to be super forthcoming with ideas that you two can discuss together.

As a last resort and assuming she is comfortable with it (and you're comfortable with it as well), shoot nudes.

Jul 22 12 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I dont really trust most North American Models to bring good wardrobe to a shoot unless I see some evidence prior ( course i live in Lululemon Land ) with European and some ( read well off ) Asian Models its a different story

( Edit ) Given this my I tend to source out my own wardrobe for most shoots

Jul 22 12 05:22 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Make do.

Shoot nudes.

+1 Yes this, don't ever assume jsut because your model is a woman or man they know how to dress their gender like a pro

Jul 22 12 05:24 pm Link

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
I dont really trust most North American Models to bring good wardrobe to a shoot unless I see some evidence prior ( course i live in Lululemon Land ) with European and some ( read well off ) Asian Models its a different story

Not an answer to his OP, actually, but good for you anyway.

Jul 22 12 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Garry k wrote:

I thought all models had white shirts smile

Jul 22 12 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I have wardrobe on hand -- pieces of fabric work well and you could request certain items for your models to bring

Jul 22 12 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

Pick tfp models that wear great clothes in their photos.

Jul 22 12 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Plano, Texas, US

Simple supply wardrobe ... Problem solved.  I am just saying  ... It is TF right wink  If you are paying then you can be demanding IMO.

Be easy,

Alvin

Plus if you supply wardrobe you won't have to worry about seeing her is the same outfit with another shooter wink

Jul 22 12 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Garry k wrote:

chicchowmein wrote:

BWAAAAHAAAHAAAAA

Jul 22 12 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

chicchowmein wrote:

that or their birthday suits

Jul 22 12 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Art of the nude wrote:

Garry k wrote:

BWAAAAHAAAHAAAAA

Actually that is a good idea. Picasso had his white period.

Jul 22 12 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

The more I shoot, the more I advocate (translation: insist on) planning a shoot in advance.

While I can shoot a model who walks through the door with a rolling garment bag full of wardrobe (and I've done so many times), too often some prop or accessory that would complete the look isn't available – or I find that the best ideas come as I'm driving home after the shoot.

I start with genre, then concept, then location, wardrobe, mood (which dictates lighting), props, and makeup and hair if they're out of the ordinary and key ingredients of the look.

By the time we shoot, we've emailed back and forth several times, we've discussed the above questions, and we've exchanged photos (or links to photos) that illustrate the looks we're going for. I know what the model is bringing (and I’ve almost always seen photos of the wardrobe), other team members are on the same page, and we all know what we're shooting and in what order.

On the other hand, if a model isn't willing to participate in planning, I probably don't need to shoot her anyway. “Winging it" probably wouldn't produce the results I want.

Now I usually don't even set a date for the shoot until planning is well under way - unless I've worked with the model enough to know that she'll come through with both the planning and the shoot - or until I have a deposit for a paid shoot.

Most of my trade work now is with models who would rather be published than paid – and are willing to sign a full release to facilitate it. If you’ve gone to the trouble to research markets and what sells to specific magazines, and you’re going for a very specific look, you don’t want to leave the details to chance.

Jul 22 12 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

If you're gonna ask a model to bring wardrobe stick to basics: tshirts/tank tops, jeans/shorts, sundresses, blouses, etc.  You can ask for more specific items, but it's unfair to expect much from a model because chances are, if it's cool she's already shot it with someone else.  Whenever I ask a model to bring wardrobe, even if she has a specific item I think could be cool I'll still ask for casual/basic items to fall back on in case everything else falls apart.

Jul 22 12 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Atelier57  wrote:
Simple supply wardrobe ... Problem solved.  I am just saying  ... It is TF right wink  If you are paying then you can be demanding IMO.

Be easy,

Alvin

Plus if you supply wardrobe you won't have to worry about seeing her is the same outfit with another shooter wink

Providing wardrobe is a challenge if you're not working with mainstream agency types.  Models come in a vast array of sizes and shapes.

Jul 22 12 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Garry and picasso were pretty tight I think

Jul 22 12 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

White ( and Black ) never go out of style

Jul 22 12 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

It should either be provided for the model, or you & the model need to discuss wardrobe with photographer having final approval. Bottom line is, its your responsibility.

Jul 22 12 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

I am telling them anymore basic and monochromatic.

Jul 22 12 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Garry k wrote:

White ( and Black ) never go out of style

don't forget the pearls

Jul 22 12 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

chicchowmein wrote:

don't forget the pearls

seems that i did as i lost them somewheres along the way

Jul 22 12 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Garry k wrote:

seems that i did as i lost them somewheres along the way

how tragic

Jul 22 12 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Ok here is reality. Third shoot of my life. I told the model to bring three outfits.

1. Graduation cap and gown
2. Some stupid steam punk costume
3. Some stupid Gogol costume.

I was like wtf. After I gave her the files I deleted them from my chips.

Jul 22 12 05:46 pm Link

Model

Lady Pelvic

Orlando, Florida, US

Make do.

Shoot nudes.

Spot on!

Jul 22 12 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Exactly why it's important.  Also the models have nothing to do with styling.  You style and you find/get/barrow the wardrobe and accessories.  You want to show what you can do (and improve in the process) you will need to make great images.  If you want to attract the best models to test with you then you need well thought out and styled images, it's what they expect.

Jul 22 12 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Ok here is reality. Third shoot of my life. I told the model to bring three outfits.

be more specific. I usually work off of a concept so the the wardrobe is integral to the finsihed product. If I am getting paid to shoot portraits or commercial comp cards I give them guidelines.

People are not mind readers -- tell them what you want. Ask them to send cell phone pics if you are in doubt.

And you could have some backup wardrobe and clips and pins to modify for size if necessary.

Jul 22 12 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Garry k wrote:

BWAAAAHAAAHAAAAA

wink

Jul 22 12 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

"Maybe jeans and a few nice blouses to choose from... A long skirt and a pretty tank top, and maybe something business suit looking?"

Even as vague as that is, it's better than what you said.

People aren't psychic. You can't get mad at her, she brought three outfits like you said.

Jul 22 12 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Dekilah wrote:

+1 on all that ^_^

It can be difficult to decide what to bring when a photographer is not somewhat specific.

+2 on all that ^^^^

Jul 22 12 05:59 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

"Maybe jeans and a few nice blouses to choose from... A long skirt and a pretty tank top, and maybe something business suit looking?"

Even as vague as that is, it's better than what you said.

People aren't psychic. You can't get mad at her, she brought three outfits like you said.

yeah those three are just bad, but again just because the girl is a girl doesn't mean she can dress herself like a fierce fashionista. Some women are styling challenged, you need to be more specific and maybe even pay or get a wardrobe stylist TF.

Jul 22 12 06:04 pm Link