Forums > Critique > Does your Avatar make me want to see your port?

Model

Ashley Sturm

Troy, Michigan, US

Peach Jones wrote:

I like the photo a lot! Actually, I like all of your shots as you have a look that is 2nd to none. However, that avatar lacks the bright colors and is just a bit to "busy" to really get my attention on most occasions. After looking through your amazing port I can see many other shots that will get you many more looks and attention than your current avatar........IMO

thanks!

Mar 04 13 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Model with Michael wrote:
New avi. What do you think?

very beautiful, as is all of your port. Probably yes

Mar 04 13 12:37 pm Link

Model

Zi Gattina

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Please!

Mar 04 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Zi Gattina wrote:
Please!

probably yes. great port!

Mar 04 13 02:29 pm Link

Model

Loona Wynd

South Portland, Maine, US

How about mine?

Mar 04 13 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Loona Wynd wrote:
How about mine?

It is intriguing, but the lack of color may hurt you. I will say 50/50

Mar 04 13 02:35 pm Link

Model

BDI Ariel Caligan

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Peach Jones wrote:

It is just a personal preference, but I just don't care for the brightly colored hair thing. Nothing against you or anyone who does it, it just isn't my thing. What caught my eye with your current avatar is obviously the colors, your sexy back curve, and teasing pose. Those......for the most part.....will make me look.

And......if I may add........you have fabulous beauty. I commented on one of your shots. I believe if you concentrate on using that beauty in your shot then you will be one happy lady..........good luck!!

Thank you for all your kind words!

Mar 04 13 04:04 pm Link

Model

HEATHER 19

Boston, Massachusetts, US

maybe? smile

Mar 04 13 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

HEATHER 19 wrote:
maybe? smile

Heather, probably not. We have chatted about this in the past if my memory serves me correctly. With your amazing perfect figure you can nail some bikini or lingerie shots that can knock anybodies socks waaaaay off! You will then increase traffic to your port and most likely get more offers..........IMO

Mar 04 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Peach Jones wrote:
very beautiful, as is all of your port. Probably yes

Thank you!

Mar 04 13 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Bridget Bennett

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Does mine?

Mar 04 13 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Bridget Bennett wrote:
Does mine?

sorry, probably not

Mar 05 13 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Matthew John

London, England, United Kingdom

hopefully

Mar 05 13 08:21 am Link

Model

Leah YI

Detroit, Michigan, US

Does it or doesn't it???

Mar 05 13 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Matthew John  wrote:
hopefully

I like it a lot......probably yes

Mar 05 13 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Karasev Studio

New York, New York, US

My avatar is just myself - which I see is unusual here for photographers.

I don't shoot for MM but I do use it sometimes as a source of talent for when the budget rules out other venues. I'd rather do that than not shoot or tell the client it can't be done. I simply manage their expectations insofar as leaning on MM is concerned, and if they are game so am I.

So for me it is important to show myself and for my port to not focus just on trophy pix.

Mar 05 13 09:53 am Link

Model

Zi Gattina

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Peach Jones wrote:

probably yes. great port!

Thanks so much!

Mar 05 13 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Keith Styles

Miami, Florida, US

Hi. Let me know. Thanks!

Mar 05 13 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Leah YI wrote:
Does it or doesn't it???

It is intriguing and def shows that you have some fabulous beauty. I will say 70% yes

Mar 05 13 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Karasev Studio wrote:
My avatar is just myself - which I see is unusual here for photographers.

I don't shoot for MM but I do use it sometimes as a source of talent for when the budget rules out other venues. I'd rather do that than not shoot or tell the client it can't be done. I simply manage their expectations insofar as leaning on MM is concerned, and if they are game so am I.

So for me it is important to show myself and for my port to not focus just on trophy pix.

I thought that was James bond in the photo.   :-)
thanks for stopping by, and if you were looking for my vote as a "trophy avatar" pic, I would vote for this

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130226/08/512ce1cea7a55_m.jpg

Mar 05 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Keith Aleksoff  wrote:
Hi. Let me know. Thanks!

I like it, but will say 50/50. IMO you have others in your port that can draw traffic with more success

Mar 05 13 01:41 pm Link

Model

Mary Zdo

San Ramon, California, US

Does mine?

Mar 05 13 02:10 pm Link

Model

SandraT

Does mine? smile

Mar 05 13 03:17 pm Link

Model

kristine Moe

Stavanger-Sandnes, Rogaland, Norway

What do you think about mine,?:-) its not my favourite, but wanted to try a different style, i think it could be better with som retouching, but i dont know, im a neebie. So really happy for any constructive critique i can get so i can get better.:-)

Mar 05 13 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Mary Zdo wrote:
Does mine?

sorry but no. The lack of color, contrast or "pop" is lacking. You have some great legs, use them to your advantage!

Mar 06 13 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

SandraT wrote:
Does mine? smile

You do some fabulous work. You avatar.....most likely yes

Mar 06 13 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

kristine Moe wrote:
What do you think about mine,?:-) its not my favourite, but wanted to try a different style, i think it could be better with som retouching, but i dont know, im a neebie. So really happy for any constructive critique i can get so i can get better.:-)

Hello Krisine,

There are avatars that will catch my eye when I post on another person's photo, thread or even on the main page, some avatar's will catch my eye. What makes those Avatar's stand out? Here is a short list:

1. bigger is usually better. Far away photos don't work on a small avatar. They have to grab my attention in about 1/4 of a second at most, and if my eye/brain has to figure out the avatar photo because you are too small in it or it is too busy, then it will not catch my eye

2. Colors.....bright colors catch my eye better. White (not so much a color but you get the idea) and red do the job the best. If you do a B/W then make sure that it really pops me in the face and says "HEY!! Look at me!!"  That is why I use the avatar that I use. It stands out. If the photo was smaller, it would not stand out. Do you agree?

3. Photos with curves and lines work very well. I will quantify this up front by saying I am a huge heterosexual. Just the way I am. We all have things about the opposite sex that really catch our attention. Look at the previous comments I have made... There is something in the photo that sets the female apart.......legs, curves, behind, eyes, ........those catch my eye alot. And if you can highlight them, then I will more likely look at your port.......and maybe even list  or want to work with you if even possible.

4. Males. As I said before, I am a heterosexual. So you are already at a disadvantage if you are a male model. However, I will look more if you have a very creative avatar (because I like creativity no matter what your sex is), and I also enjoy beauty. Beauty can be male or female, but once again I inherently believe that females have more inherent beauty. Just the way I am.

OK, now to your avatar. I do like the photo. But if I was quickly scanning a page, yours might  not stand out. The lack of color might be detrimental, but it does have good contrast for being a B/W. That is good.  Once again, all this is my opinion, and someone else may give you a different opinion. So value this as much as you choose. It is beautiful, and you are beautiful (duh, a model)....but not sure it is your best bet as an avatar. But I will say that perhaps 60% of the time I would be interested in seeing your port based on your present avi

So based on these simple guidelines, which photo or photos do you think would work best?

Mar 06 13 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm rotating avatars now based somewhat on people's preferences.
What do you think of my current one?
thx

Mar 06 13 12:56 pm Link

Model

SandraT

Peach Jones wrote:
You do some fabulous work. You avatar.....most likely yes

Thank you smile

Mar 06 13 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
I'm rotating avatars now based somewhat on people's preferences.
What do you think of my current one?
thx

Always enjoy your fabulous port! I have a weakness for nice legs, so the answer is yes

Mar 06 13 02:44 pm Link

Model

SophiaRed

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm curious what you think, or if maybe I should change my avatar?

Mar 06 13 03:35 pm Link

Model

Meggera

South Gate, California, US

Im curious if you're still up for it!

Mar 06 13 03:47 pm Link

Model

Mary Zdo

San Ramon, California, US

Peach Jones wrote:
sorry but no. The lack of color, contrast or "pop" is lacking. You have some great legs, use them to your advantage!

Thanks for the feedback, I definitely see what you mean. Is this one better?

Mar 06 13 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Peach Jones wrote:

Always enjoy your fabulous port! I have a weakness for nice legs, so the answer is yes

Thank you so much for this.
I love long legs too, hence the photo.

Mar 06 13 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Mary Zdo wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, I definitely see what you mean. Is this one better?

yes, very much

Mar 06 13 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Meggera wrote:
Im curious if you're still up for it!

sorry but no. The lack of color and contrast doesn't do well

Mar 06 13 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

SophiaRed wrote:
I'm curious what you think, or if maybe I should change my avatar?

It depends on what your goals and objectives are. But if you wish to get noticed and get more traffic to your port, then a different avatar would most likely serve you better

Mar 06 13 08:25 pm Link

Model

SophiaRed

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Peach Jones wrote:

It depends on what your goals and objectives are. But if you wish to get noticed and get more traffic to your port, then a different avatar would most likely serve you better

I wasn't sure if maybe I should stick with a classy traditional shot, or something more dramatic. Thank you for your feedback smile

Mar 06 13 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

JaW Images

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I would definitely like to know!

I usually use my weird, creative stuff as an avatar, but feel like my newest one will be more appealing to people.

Mar 07 13 01:33 am Link

Model

Jacey Calloway

Louisville, Kentucky, US

What about mine?

Mar 07 13 01:35 am Link