Forums > Critique > I just won the lottery! Should I hire YOU?

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Imagine I just won the lotto and now I'm a  multimillionaire.  I also live in your neighborhood and want to celebrate my win with memorable photos.  Money is no object, so I'll pay you whatever rates you ask without baulking. 

I need a photographer to shoot my portrait.  Another one to shoot a calendar of all the cars I'm going to buy.  And models to appear in the calendar with my cars.  I also want to launch the career of one special model by paying for an entire portfolio shoot that can cover anything from fashion, to swimwear, to glamour, to art nude. 

So, the money is there for those who qualify.  Could you be one of them?  Tell me which gig you're submitting for and I'll tell you if I would:

A - Have my secretary take your card and tell you that I'll call you when I have an answer (but secretly tell her to burn your card because you just don't cut the mustard).

B- Come out to greet you and see if your personality can make up for the work in your portfolio that needs improvement but has potential.

C - Invite you to join me for lunch on the veranda, so I can take a longer look at your portfolio and seriously consider you for one of my projects, since your work shows you know what you're doing and I like it quite a bit.

D - Ask you who I should make the check out to, because without a doubt YOU'RE HIRED!

Aug 31 12 12:29 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

well, I'd love to try out for the portfolio shoot smile. You see, i'd really like to break into modelling, and I'd LOVE to hire professional photographers, but after paying for school and rent, there isn't any money left sad.

I'd gladly put a meal together afterwards for the crew, probably something simple like meatball pasta and a salad, but still smile. Just to show my appreciation...

if not that, perhaps there is a nice big hummer somewhere in your collection that could use a somewhat large giant like me to pose next to?

so how about it?

Aug 31 12 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
well, I'd love to try out for the portfolio shoot smile. You see, i'd really like to break into modelling, and I'd LOVE to hire professional photographers, but after paying for school and rent, there isn't any money left sad.

I'd gladly put a meal together afterwards for the crew, probably something simple like meatball pasta and a salad, but still smile. Just to show my appreciation...

if not that, perhaps there is a nice big hummer somewhere in your collection that could use a somewhat large giant like me to pose next to?

so how about it?

Well Anna, to be perfectly honest; if I was walking past the portfolio and just going by your avatar, I would almost immediately suggest option A.  LUCKILY, I opened your portfolio and got to see all the beauty that avatar completely hides away. 

I think you're a gorgeous woman with beautiful features and a beautifully voluptuous figure.  YOU deserve to be shot by some of the best, so they can show you at your full potential.  I would love to shoot with you as well, so give me your price and I'll make a check out to you right now.  You win Option D.  smile

Aug 31 12 12:40 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Perhaps you'd have need of a tougher more rocker chic look to compliment you new super high tech more badass than the batmobile sports car?

Aug 31 12 12:42 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

Well Anna, to be perfectly honest; if I was walking past the portfolio and just going by your avatar, I would almost immediately suggest option A.  LUCKILY, I opened your portfolio and got to see all the beauty that avatar completely hides away. 

I think you're a gorgeous woman with beautiful features and a beautifully voluptuous figure.  YOU deserve to be shot by some of the best, so they can show you at your full potential.  I would love to shoot with you as well, so give me your price and I'll make a check out to you right now.  You win Option D.  smile

haha okay, got it , changing the avatar smile. thank you!

Aug 31 12 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Paige Morgan wrote:
Perhaps you'd have need of a tougher more rocker chic look to compliment you new super high tech more badass than the batmobile sports car?

Your look is just a little too tough for my liking, Paige, so I'm going to have to go with Option B...but you're very close to Option C.  If we click well, then I'd be willing to consider you as well.  I think you need some softer looks with makeup and hair.  Maybe try extensions or let your hair grow out, and then work with some really good makeup artists to give you a more elegant look.  You don't necessarily have to be a "girly girl", but sometimes the tough rocker chick look doesn't work with my softer style of shooting people.

Aug 31 12 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
haha okay, got it , changing the avatar smile. thank you!

I'd say use this one...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 3#28832263

Just crop off the left side to your right shoulder and make it a vertical shot that's still safe to use here.

Or better yet, let me shoot you one of these days.  wink

Aug 31 12 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

I would go for the job of helping launch the special models career big_smile

Give me your MONEY!

Aug 31 12 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I'd like the job of photojournalist please - I want to record your every purchase for the next 12 months so I can sell the 'Rags to Riches to Rags' story to the press later on. smile

And I want you to pay for it!

Aug 31 12 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Erlinda wrote:
I would go for the job of helping launch the special models career big_smile

Give me your MONEY!

Do you prefer salmon or roast chicken for lunch?  Your work is very good, Erlinda.  In fact, it's exceptionally good. It's very well lit, nicely styled, well composed, and professionally edited.  Despite all that, it simply doesn't GRAB me. 

Your work is safe, not bold.  It's beautiful, but not creative.  In essence, it lacks soul.  It's like you're trying so hard to get everything just perfect, that you don't leave any room to breathe life into it. 

You're definitely a contender, but for now I'm going to go with Option C for you.  In fact, make it  C+.

Aug 31 12 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Do you prefer salmon or roast chicken for lunch?  Your work is very good, Erlinda.  In fact, it's exceptionally good. It's very well lit, nicely styled, well composed, and professionally edited.  Despite all that, it simply doesn't GRAB me. 

Your work is safe, not bold.  It's beautiful, but not creative.  In essence, it lacks soul.  It's like you're trying so hard to get everything just perfect, that you don't leave any room to breathe life into it. 

You're definitely a contender, but for now I'm going to go with Option C for you.  In fact, make it  C+.

Damn it! I WANT YOUR MONEY lol wink

Aug 31 12 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Drew Smith Photography wrote:
I'd like the job of photojournalist please - I want to record your every purchase for the next 12 months so I can sell the 'Rags to Riches to Rags' story to the press later on. smile

And I want you to pay for it!

You have some very accomplished nudes, Drew, which are really beautiful (especially the ones of Ell Rose).  But then I look at your steampunk album and I have to put my excitement on hold.  While the skill is there when it comes to shooting and editing, the images in that portfolio don't have anywhere near the same appeal as your other work.  The poses look stiff and the none of the images feels like it could stand alone, much less stand apart. 

Then you have this one...
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110425/11/4db5b727f0fc3_m.jpg
Which makes me lose some of my confidence in you.  This image is an eyesore.  The styling, pose and expression are so out of place in that setting.  Is just does not belong at all in your portfolio. 

I really would've liked to have you join me for lunch (the view is FANTASTIC!), but for right now I'm going to go with Option B for you. 

Nice to meet you.  Try again in the near future.

Aug 31 12 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Okay, B it is... but you're paying, right?  smile

There's an 'eyesore' in my port? Oh no. sad

That pic is loved and hated in equal measures.

Aug 31 12 02:08 am Link

Model

_Rei_

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I'd like to put in an application for "portfolio shoot".

But first, I think you should take some of that bucketload of money you just won and go have a holiday somewhere amazing, like in St.Vincent (I hear David Bowie has a house there, so you can't really go wrong).
We can chat about my chances when you get back :-)

Aug 31 12 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Colored Photos

Los Angeles, California, US

Aug 31 12 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Raw and the cooked

K O D I  L A N E wrote:
I'll shoot your portriat , I have no interest in your car calendar, sounds like a long and tedious day of pulling cars in and out of driveways trying not to scratch anything . As in special model, you mean you're sleeping with this girl who wants to be a model so you want to make her feel like one.. I can't do that either. Some things money can't buy. but if I think she has a potential to be a model, and is the next big thing.. why not.. you can pay me and I'll work her and the camera. I don't really want to meet and greet or go for lunch,  but we can smoke

cigars and you can show me some of the cars you are going to feature in your portfolio, have a glass of wine, and you can introduce me to this "model of yours that you are going to make a star" I will play along, and pretend I'm interested. Also I don't take cheques, I'm sure you have cash lying around somewhere, you can leave it in suitcase in one of those new cars your going to gift me. This will probably be a regular thing now anyway, and you'll probably need me again for photos of the next girl you are going to swoon, so I guess I now accept cheques, make this one out to Kodi Lane

TROLL ALERT!

Aug 31 12 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Raw and the cooked wrote:

TROLL ALERT!

lol

Aug 31 12 04:43 am Link

Model

shibaswindler

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

Ok how about me for the calendar? smile

Aug 31 12 04:51 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

K O D I  L A N E wrote:
I'll shoot your portriat , I have no interest in your car calendar, sounds like a long and tedious day of pulling cars in and out of driveways trying not to scratch anything . As in special model, you mean you're sleeping with this girl who wants to be a model so you want to make her feel like one.. I can't do that either. Some things money can't buy. but if I think she has a potential to be a model, and is the next big thing.. why not.. you can pay me and I'll work her and the camera. I don't really want to meet and greet or go for lunch,  but we can smoke cigars and you can show me some of the cars you are going to feature in your portfolio, have a glass of wine, and you can introduce me to this "model of yours that you are going to make a star" I will play along, and pretend I'm interested. Also I don't take cheques, I'm sure you have cash lying around somewhere, you can leave it in suitcase in one of those new cars your going to gift me. This will probably be a regular thing now anyway, and you'll probably need me again for photos of the next girl you are going to swoon, so I guess I now accept cheques, make this one out to Kodi Lane

After reading your response, I thought to myself; "this presumptuous A$$hole should consider himself lucky I'm even going to bother looking at his portfolio. (Noticed I used dollar signs instead of the letter "S", because I'm just that filthy rich)."  But I figured I'd play along and take a look at your portfolio anyway.   

Based on the thumbnails, I thought "Hey!  this guy might have something here."  You have a certain style to your settings and posing that seems to flow well and looks like what I find in a lot of fashion magazines. Then I looked at the images close up and found one big disappointment after another. 

Your photos, in my opinion, are not about the model; they're not about the art; not about fashion; and not about the story.  Your photos are all about YOU.  They're steaming high piles of bullshit that have been carefully arranged with flowers petals and nail polish to make them appear more beautiful than they really are.  Oh, and then of course they're stamped with your HUGE logo, which seems like it's all you REALLY want people to see. 

In other words, some of your lighting and exposures aren't good at all (one model has wedges of sunlight highlighting the tip of her nose repeatedly), but you've doctored your images up with so much Photoshop and panache it's almost easy to miss.  The models also look like they've been beaten into submission, in order to appease your overwhelming desire for control.  There's no "life" to your images, only mannequins who've been posed the way you demand in order to fit your own "vision". 

To shoot my portrait, you need to be able to "See" a person.  To find out what makes them beautiful, interesting, or amazing.  That seems like it'd be difficult for you to find though, since it's likely you couldn't hear anything they have to say because you're deafened the sound of your own perceived awesomeness. 

I think for you, you barely squeaked by with Option B.  I might come out and meet you just to see if this is simply your sense of humor and that you might actually be a cool guy who needs some pointers to improve.  I would be on guard though and ready to turn you away in a heartbeat, if it turned out that you came across in person to be the same pretentious douchebag your online response makes you sound like.

Aug 31 12 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

_Rei_ wrote:
I'd like to put in an application for "portfolio shoot".

But first, I think you should take some of that bucketload of money you just won and go have a holiday somewhere amazing, like in St.Vincent (I hear David Bowie has a house there, so you can't really go wrong).
We can chat about my chances when you get back :-)

Don't worry, didn't forget about you; just had to take care of that last one first. 

For you, Rei, I think a beautiful day at the villa would be in order, along with a meal to die for.  You have a beautiful look and a good sense of what is artistic, but I would have to get a better look at you to see if have the makings of a top model.  Although some of the work in your portfolio is very good, you're lacking some of those images that show you at your full potential.  I want to see some REALLY good hair and makeup on you, and then see what a good photographer can do with that. 

You're also a C .  I'd love to shoot some art with you myself.

Aug 31 12 10:59 am Link

Model

LisaInLondon

Would I make the portfolio cut? big_smile

Aug 31 12 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

shibaswindler wrote:
Ok how about me for the calendar? smile

You have a great figure, Shiba, which would go well with something like that, but I'm not too keen on your hair and makeup in most of your shots.  You have a unique look, which can come across as sexy, but the way your makeup is done makes me wonder what you look like without all of it. 

I think you need to hire a really good MUA and have someone take some good beauty shots of you.  The nice body is great, but I want more than that for my calendar.  I don't want glammed up hair and lip gloss that reminds me of Poison's album cover from the 1990's.  That look is tired and immature.  I want refined beauty. 

Let's meet for lunch and we can talk more about it.  Option C for you.

Aug 31 12 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

LizaK wrote:
Would I make the portfolio cut? big_smile

Hmmmm....

You know, Liza, you're pretty; you're cute; you're petite; and you have good skin...you just don't WOW me.  Your look is very safe and clean, even though I see hints of womanly beauty as well.  It's like you're a mixture of Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Brady (from the Brady Bunch). 

I don't know, I just think your a little too reserved for what I want to see.  I want to see you push yourself and bring out some of your inner goddess.  Get sexy.  Get wild.  But don't do anymore of this crap...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120619/05/4fe075f24c508.jpg

That just looks silly and sticks out like a sore thumb in your portfolio.  I'd ditch that one. 

For you, I'm going to go with Option B.  Work on it though and maybe next time I'll "C" you.

Aug 31 12 11:12 am Link

Model

LisaInLondon

It's like you're a mixture of Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Brady (from the Brady Bunch).

That comment I'll remember for a long time big_smile
Anyway, thanks for the info. I think I'll ditch that picture as soon as I get another one with extreme make-up (this picture was meant for the MUA to show of her work, so I couldn't look really awesome haha). I've got a group shoot this sunday, and will definitely try to work on stronger poses and expressions (:

Aug 31 12 11:18 am Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Sign me up for a shiny new portfolio.

Aug 31 12 11:28 am Link

Model

_Rei_

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Don't worry, didn't forget about you; just had to take care of that last one first. 

For you, Rei, I think a beautiful day at the villa would be in order, along with a meal to die for.  You have a beautiful look and a good sense of what is artistic, but I would have to get a better look at you to see if have the makings of a top llama.  Although some of the work in your portfolio is very good, you're lacking some of those images that show you at your full potential.  I want to see some REALLY good hair and makeup on you, and then see what a good photographer can do with that. 

You're also a C .  I'd love to shoot some art with you myself.

Ah, a C . It's like I'm back in high school!

(kidding! getting a C would've me one of the cool girls - and I was the dork with my nose in a book).

See you on the verandah :-)

Aug 31 12 04:23 pm Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

PASO ROBLES, California, US

I'm going to show up with my portfolio and inquire if perhaps you need a muse. I'm not looking to pose with cars, though I'm happy to do so, and I don't want to replace my portfolio - I worked hard for it, and I'd rather keep working to improve it than have a fancy new one bought for me. Instead, I'd be happy to pose for all the artwork you'll need for your new mansion, as well as that hotel and line of restaurants you just bought.

Aug 31 12 05:11 pm Link

Model

Rachel Hayslette

Weaver, Alabama, US

What about me? Portfolio shoot.

Aug 31 12 08:55 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Your look is just a little too tough for my liking, Paige, so I'm going to have to go with Option B...but you're very close to Option C.  If we click well, then I'd be willing to consider you as well.  I think you need some softer looks with makeup and hair.  Maybe try extensions or let your hair grow out, and then work with some really good makeup artists to give you a more elegant look.  You don't necessarily have to be a "girly girl", but sometimes the tough rocker chick look doesn't work with my softer style of shooting people.

My hair grown out looks precisely like it does in my avi but bigger...it just expands outward like a chia pet and gets larger/rounder. It isn't flattering.

I'll take the B and not have my face dwarfed by an epic hair lollipop big_smile

Aug 31 12 09:34 pm Link

Model

deletedanderased

Berat, Berat, Albania

tell me smile

Aug 31 12 09:36 pm Link

Model

Laura Collin

Portland, Oregon, US

What a fun idea! I most certainly think you need a chameleon. You need a woman while can pull of anything and make it look like she was born to so it. That's where I come in wink as confident as I am, I will let you make that choice.

Aug 31 12 09:47 pm Link

Model

Madison P Cook

Miami, Florida, US

Fun idea,  soo would you hire me wink

Aug 31 12 09:51 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Art nude model?

big_smile

Sep 01 12 12:33 am Link

Model

Marilyn Yusuf

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

smile Sounds interesting smile

Sep 01 12 05:03 am Link

Model

a r i e l

San Jose, California, US

This seems so fun! Would I make it? smile

Sep 01 12 08:35 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Perhaps, I could be hired for... I don't know.
o.O
If nothing, I'd at least like to pass out the calendars for $20 an hour. lol

Sep 01 12 08:41 am Link

Model

Tilcia

Birmingham, Alabama, US

You can hire me to be your bookkeeper and legal research assistant (I've been a bookkeeper for a law firm for 3 years and now work under a CPA p/t for 7 years; and was a paralegal and legal office manager for nearly 22 years)... if you don't want me as a model.  LOL

Sep 01 12 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

"Ladies and Gentelmen...ELVIS (coughkodilane) has LEFT the building."  lol

Okay, where was I??

Ahhh...here we go.

Jordan Bunniie wrote:
Sign me up for a shiny new portfolio.

(Using an English accent and sounding a lot like Oliver Twist...)
"She makes feel quite dirty..."

Well, Jordan, the first thing I'd have to do is have my lawyers subpoena your birth certificate to make sure you're actually over 18.  You're so petite and young looking, it's https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.png. I love the confidence you have though when you model and like that you're very comfortable in your skin.  You can play off sexy and flirty, but also seem to know when to switch into something more pensive for artistic work. 

I would actually like to see just how far you could go as a model, which would not only include a top photographer; but also a top MUA and stylist for a dream team shoot.  So a brand new portfolio it is.  You get Option D.

Sep 01 12 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Eleanor R wrote:
I'm going to show up with my portfolio and inquire if perhaps you need a muse. I'm not looking to pose with cars, though I'm happy to do so, and I don't want to replace my portfolio - I worked hard for it, and I'd rather keep working to improve it than have a fancy new one bought for me. Instead, I'd be happy to pose for all the artwork you'll need for your new mansion, as well as that hotel and line of restaurants you just bought.

Eleanor, you certainly have a love for art that I can appreciate and admire.  You also have a maturity beyond your years and a very down-to-earth nature, which I like. 

I don't know if I would do the full portfolio shoot with you though, but I'm sure I would want to see some fine art with you.  For right now, I'd say option C, but there's a good chance after spending the day together and a good meal I'd probably go with Option D as well.

Sep 01 12 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Rachel Hayslette wrote:
What about me? Portfolio shoot.

Well Rachel, you're 17 and I normally don't shoot or work with anyone under 18 (I just prefer not to have to deal with parents at shoots).  But since you're close enough to 18, I'd still take a look at your work. 

You're a pretty girl, but there are no stand out features or qualities that make me think we'd get anything more than just safe, run-of-the-mill commercial shots.  Your expressions tend to be bland and uninteresting, and when you do smile it seems forced or uneasy...like there's some self doubt.  Bodywise, you would need to tone up some to bring out a nicer shape.  You don't need to starve yourself, or become waif thin, you just need some good workouts to tighten things up and give you some definition.

For now, I'd have to go with Option B.

Sep 01 12 11:53 am Link