Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Discussion on assistant behaviour

Makeup Artist

Tara Pagliara MUA

New York, New York, US

I just had an assistant hand out her card/ take her shoes off and put her feet on my dashboard and rip her kit out of the trunk of my car and scratch my entire bumper.

I didnt even have a talk with her I didnt know what to say I was so dumfounded.

Sep 12 12 07:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabethmakeup

Hereford, England, United Kingdom

Tara Pags wrote:
I just had an assistant hand out her card/ take her shoes off and put her feet on my dashboard and rip her kit out of the trunk of my car and scratch my entire bumper.

Lack of common sense and consideration - two things that should be a given.

Sep 12 12 07:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tara Pagliara MUA

New York, New York, US

Elizabethmakeup wrote:

Lack of common sense and consideration - two things that should be a given.

She just started freelancing she only worked at M.A.C I believe, next time I work with her I will say something she is a really nice girl I just the car ugh lol

Sep 12 12 10:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

KC hmua

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Tara Pags wrote:

Ok that is really unfortunate if she did make substantial damage make her pay to fix it.
First thing i do is i never car pool with my assistants i like to keep things professional and especially on set if they rock up late or not up to standard its easy for me to send them home.

First thing is if i see someone handing out a card ( which i have years ago) i straight away go up to the person that she handed it out to and apologize to them about her inappropriate behavior on set and that i will not let that affect the rest of the team and it will be dealt with. ( All the production crews i have worked with appreciate this as it restores their confidence in you as the key that you are in control of your crew and wont let inappropriate behavior happen on set- most people when approached by an assistant had awkward conversations where they were pushing the cards into the directors hands promising half price rates certainly not professional and most production crew see through this )

Second thing i do is take the assistant aside quietly from everyone and just say that she is finished for the day and she is no longer required and to pack her things up and head home. If we have another 3 days of shooting i tell her i will call her tonight to let her know of her timetable for the next few days - that evening i call and say not to come in anymore. I found this approach over the years has avoided any on set drama and unnecessary drama for the rest of crew to deal with.

Sep 12 12 09:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tai MUA

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mary wrote:

So this girl was telling her facebook friends about getting work...and helping make people happy and look good.... she left out the "assistant" part... I really wouldn't personally have a problem with that. It doesn't affect me in the job market. 

Calling another artist an "assistant"might insult them, especially in front of their friends...I think I might use the word "associate" "team", something like that.. Even though she was assisting you that day, she sees herself as an artist and she wants her friends to see her as an artist, thats understandable.

My best "assistant" ever is my daughter-in-law.... because shes humble, a very hard worker and never saw herself as a makeup artist.  She only started to get interested in it after she started assisting me.... She was paid to clean, set up, break down, go get this, go get that and powder the talent on set while I work on another talent. She never minded "assistant" because she didn't have aspirations to ever be an artist.

You may want to consider people who just work hard and have no desire to be artists....  These people can be trained to do just about everything you do...they may not have the eye and so you may have to pick the colors, but they can be trained to apply some of the makep.

Yes I was thinking the same and you just gave me an idea. Thanks! big_smile

Sep 16 12 10:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

House of Westenra

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Wow, reading this just makes me quite angry! 

Several things I am observing, and not just in the Makeup/Hair industry but any industry, especially with the younger generation.

1. No one seems to know how to be professional anymore.  As some have said, Common Sense has gone by the way-side. 

2. Complete lack of awareness that just because you graduated from your school/program/ have your degree/certificate does NOT mean you know exactly what you are doing!!! That goes for Health care, Law, Architecture, and cosmetology. 

3. Absolutely no sense of graciousness or gratitude.  I would kill for the opportunity to assist ANY of you (alas, most of you seem very far away) and I would do it just for the experience and opportunity. 

If any of you are capable of communicating with these new grads, or anyone starting out in this business, just the basics of professionalism, as if it were any job at an office, law firm, salon, hospital, etc.

Nov 09 12 06:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

House of Westenra

Louisville, Kentucky, US

kat makeup artist  wrote:
Kat MUA- Dont forget the mother in law we made happy too smile You are a wonderful assistant
Assistant- Kat! You and this word "assistant" haha i am qualified you know!! Haha 4 yrs ago lolll

Kat, this reminds me of a Field Work student at the Nursing Home my partner works at.  She got her panties all in a bunch when they mentioned to the patients that she was a student.  Why don't people understand this is not a bad thing?

Nov 09 12 06:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Katie grace bouchard

Providence, Rhode Island, US

wow... I hate to think that there are people out there that are potentially ruining jobs for artists like me... I would never want an artist who has more experience than me to say no to me because of someone else's behavior hmm
that being said...
  I have been working on my own for 4 years now, I have a pretty decent portfolio, I work for a bridal agency, Im a hard worker with sh*t tons of passion for this and I wouldnt mind being called an assistant or told to get coffee for everyone... I would do (almost, ha) anything to work with an artist with more experience and talent than me... I dont understand my generation and the lack of work ethic they have. Even if the person you first work with isnt the nicest, thats just the way it is, no? you start at the bottom...
  When I started I jumped at the opportunity to work with a girl in my Esthetics course in good ol' beauty school (everyone else in class said "yeah sure Id love to go on a shoot with you!" and then never did anything about it) I worked with her for 6 months (until she moved to the other side of the country) and was paid once. I cleaned her brushes, got her coffee, did the "dirty" theatrical makeup, prepped faces, got food, watched her daughter ect. NEVER would I complain because I learned more with her in those 6 months then I did in any makeup/beauty course Ive ever taken... I would not be the artist I am today without her.

take what they give you, learn from them, be thankful, then move on to your next goal in living out your big dreams. thats all.

Nov 09 12 07:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rudy van den Berg

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

I have had horrible, horrible assistants and extremely good ones. The bad ones don't work, hand out their cards to the clients. The list goes on and on. I had one telling me once she was a makeup artist and didn't do hair while prior to the shoot it was explained that she needed to both hair and makeup.
The good assistants usually branch out on their own after a while and stop assisting. That's why nowadays for jobs that require an assistant I prefer to book already working artists. They know what is expected and make the job go faster.

Nov 12 12 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Ally Moy

New York, New York, US

The title just dragged me in to read. I'm sorry this happened to you. Some people would say complaining is childish, but we all can be sometimes when we need to vent. I think some childishness is healthy to get over things. tongue

It is really a big problem that these kinds of people exist. I'm young, i'm starting (different field, but same business) and these sentiments create a very hard path for us to get experience from assisting type jobs. The skepticism of us newbie's ability and reliability is absolutely horrendous because of all the terrible people out there. I think you should remember that there are also very dedicated, nice, and respectful people also.

Personal compatibility is also very important. People range from expecting a friendly bubbly assistant to keep the model/client happy to a mechanical robot who says nothing.

Nov 14 12 05:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

JFord Creations Makeup

Hinesville, Georgia, US

Katie grace bouchard wrote:
wow... I hate to think that there are people out there that are potentially ruining jobs for artists like me... I would never want an artist who has more experience than me to say no to me because of someone else's behavior hmm
that being said...
  I have been working on my own for 4 years now, I have a pretty decent portfolio, I work for a bridal agency, Im a hard worker with sh*t tons of passion for this and I wouldnt mind being called an assistant or told to get coffee for everyone... I would do (almost, ha) anything to work with an artist with more experience and talent than me... I dont understand my generation and the lack of work ethic they have. Even if the person you first work with isnt the nicest, thats just the way it is, no? you start at the bottom...
  When I started I jumped at the opportunity to work with a girl in my Esthetics course in good ol' beauty school (everyone else in class said "yeah sure Id love to go on a shoot with you!" and then never did anything about it) I worked with her for 6 months (until she moved to the other side of the country) and was paid once. I cleaned her brushes, got her coffee, did the "dirty" theatrical makeup, prepped faces, got food, watched her daughter ect. NEVER would I complain because I learned more with her in those 6 months then I did in any makeup/beauty course Ive ever taken... I would not be the artist I am today without her.

take what they give you, learn from them, be thankful, then move on to your next goal in living out your big dreams. thats all.

I dont have as much experience as you nor am I signed with an agency, but my famous saying to other artists that have wonderful work is "I would love to assist you even if I have to hand you the makeup brushes!" I think if you really love the field and you are a professional you'll do whatever it takes. I used to work in sales and did biz to biz sales with a team of wonderful agents so I have some common sense about being professional. Some people are so eager and will step all over others to get where they want. I think it takes skill, professionalis, and ethics to make it even as an assistannt.

Nov 14 12 10:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kristen S Makeup

Plymouth, Massachusetts, US

Like Lisa said, I would never bring another artist on any sort of paid set that I hadn't fully vetted.  I assist and work with other artists often as well as hire assistants. I assist artists I have more experience than and hire assistants that have more experience than me. We work as a team.  Whatever is going to make the job go most smoothly. 

However, I would find that letter insulting if you as my key handed that to me as an assistant.  My suggestion is to reach out to the other artists in your community and make friends with talented, working artists that you trust to help you out.  The only time I have trouble finding a qualified assistant is if they're all already booked.

Nov 15 12 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

kat makeup artist  wrote:
Ok yes i know this is one of those things that are killed to death but i would like to do here in a constructive way. I want to make for myself a discussion paper on appropriate assistant behavior to cover all bases to hand out to any of my potential assistants i am looking at giving a go.

I have had a bad run of assistants that are not reliable, committed, and just down right rude and disrespectful. I have found it near impossible to have a couple of assistants that i can really rely on.
Oh and btw up until this point i have always paid my assistants very generously on every gig even the first one! I am certainly rethinking that!
I get extremely busy around bridal season and wouldn't mind having assistants to clean up and prep and watch and learn as it just speeds things up that little bit.

What i have found personally happening that is completely unacceptable is there is no respect shown for the senior artist or the hiring artist at all.

for example, recently i had a new assistant out on a bridal gig. we confirmed everything then the morning of the wedding she messages saying shes not coming she is too tired and pretty much cant be bothered.

I have others that have not picked up a brush since finishing their course do not have the necessary skills yet to touch a face yet not happy when i put it to them that on the first run they will be just watching and on cleaning duty till i can give them some personal tuition to improve their technique. They then wave around their " but im fully qualified i know what im doing" i quickly dont give these ones a chance at all as i can see the immaturity.

another one who had a first run was awesome did prepping and i allowed her to apply base with me doing the colour matching choice and final inspect before going further in my application. She was great and at that point i was happy to call her in on future jobs.

Then i saw the following day her facebook status updates... I will paste below taking names out. BTW she had a picture of herself fish pouting which i can not stand lol.
Made a Bride and her 3 Bridemaids very happy today! ♥
other friend- I thought u didn't know how to put makeup on ppl! Liar liar pants on fire hmm
assistant- Haha i was learningg
other friend- Yea watever u say girl
another different friend- you are a liar! And since when are you working at mac?
assistant- Noooo ur getting the wrong idea! And t-shirt is from salon i worked at 4 yrs ago
Kat MUA- Dont forget the mother in law we made happy too smile You are a wonderful assistant
Assistant- Kat! You and this word "assistant" haha i am qualified you know!! Haha 4 yrs ago lolll

Last time i checked I was the person hiring yo to assist. You were cleaning brushes and prepping. The bride hired Me and my company to provide services. I did all the makeup and the hair so taking any kind of credit is not on! I will most certainly never call her for a job.

This is so pathetic. It seems the problem is with you not her. You said she was awesome at work and now you won't use her because of some comments on her facebook page that might imply she was the main artist?

Give me a break.

Nov 15 12 05:29 pm Link

Model

Sara Snow

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Wish you the best smile

Nov 15 12 05:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

AllanaArtistry

Crete, Illinois, US

Reading about bad assistants makes me so angry because i am a new makeup artist and i been wanting to assist MUA's but i always get turned down because  of the bad rep assistants have. Honestly have high respect for makeup artist and never would disrespect any artist like that.

Dec 07 12 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Garage Photography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Food for thought: One who demeans those with whom they have collaborated is at the same time both immature and unprofessional...

study set etiquette, k?

all the best on your journey...

+1

Dec 07 12 06:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

AllanaArtistry

Crete, Illinois, US

I didnt know assistants get paid until i read this form. I always offer my services for free. I am there to learn and grow i really don't need money i want experience.

so yeah lol

Dec 07 12 06:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

Magnolia Beauty

Summerville, South Carolina, US

Sian Ryan MUA wrote:
Firstly I am shocked at all the assistants behaviours (bad ones obvs!) I am dying to assist muas but when contacting local (& further out) I either get no responses or a big no! I am just shocked at hearing these tales as I would give an arm to assist, for free and these people just dont seem bothered!

- Also, I dont think there is any shame in assisting or being called an assistant, its how we grow and learn as artists!

I am in the same boat here! Maybe it is a small town thing? I would love to assist also, it's a wonderful learning experience to see how another artist works the craft, you can/should learn something new everytime.

I've read Mary's list of what makes a good assistant a long time ago and i practically memorized it!

I think for the future, you should have a discussion with your assisants about keeping the business of your work off of facebook/whatever website.

Dec 14 12 06:42 pm Link