Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do so many models what latex / gothic shots?

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

I see so few latex / gothic shots etc. commercially used.

The only places I see them on a regular basis are low end magazines.

So why do so many models clambour to get them?
It just seems hugely disproportionate for the amount of work out there in that arena.

Because if I'm ever sending models over to a client for approval I never send those kind of shots, because its just so far from what the client wants. I get all sorts of different requests from clients for all sorts of different models, but no one ever gets close to that kind of look.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Sep 25 12 01:47 am Link

Model

Winnie L

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

For fun. They look cool.

.... There is a market for them. Alt models are highly sought after. Maybe it is just not the market you are working in. And not all of them are published only in low end magazines, that's your assumption.

Sep 25 12 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

In the surreal world of MM, anything can happen.

Actually, there are models on MM who make a good living out of the place by doing things that wouldn't attract any interest in the real world.

Good luck to them and their business acumen.

Sep 25 12 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Primordial Creative

Los Angeles, California, US

Have to agree that a lot of the demand is on the model side of things.  Latex makes people look good and also badass.  Those kind of shoots tend yo be corful.  A LOT of websites feature that kind of content.  Non traditional models can rock that just fine when catalogue work wouldn't look so hot.  It is fun to dress different than normal, to be stylized as crazy as one can imagine. 

Dont know if any of these answers address the business end of the OP but that is the rationale behind it.

Sep 25 12 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Jonny Hel

London, England, United Kingdom

Photography by Riddell wrote:

Perhaps this says more about you choice of reading material than it does about the models.

Sep 25 12 02:10 am Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Sacramento, California, US

Winnie L wrote:
For fun. They look cool.

.... There is a market for them. Alt models are highly sought after. Maybe it is just not the market you are working in. And not all of them are published only in low end magazines, that's your assumption.

This, but not only for fun. Latex is great content for pay sites and selling prints. And I don't know about low end magazines... I can go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a handful of magazines that have latex in them.

Plus latex is hot.

Sep 25 12 02:14 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

So why do so many models clambour to get them?
It just seems hugely disproportionate for the amount of work out there in that arena.

Because if I'm ever sending models over to a client for approval I never send those kind of shots, because its just so far from what the client wants. I get all sorts of different requests from clients for all sorts of different models, but no one ever gets close to that kind of look.

Paul.

Seems they are pretty popular..

http://latexcelebs.com/2011/07/jenifer- … tex-dress/
http://latexcelebs.com/2011/07/lady-gag … x-outfits/

http://latexcelebs.com/2011/07/eva-mend … ian-vogue/

http://latexcelebs.com/2011/07/rihanna- … ex-outfit/
http://latexcelebs.com/2011/07/christin … -in-latex/

http://latexcelebs.com/2011/07/naomi-ca … ex-outfit/

http://latexcelebs.com/2011/01/heidi-kl … tex-dress/

http://latexcelebs.com/2011/01/kate-moss-2/
http://latexcelebs.com/2011/01/katy-perry-5/

Sep 25 12 02:19 am Link

Model

Winnie L

Mischa Marie wrote:

This, but not only for fun. Latex is great content for pay sites and selling prints. And I don't know about low end magazines... I can go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a handful of magazines that have latex in them.

Plus latex is hot.

wink And you gotta admit it is fun, just got to add that in tongue

Sep 25 12 02:21 am Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Winnie L wrote:

Totally fun big_smile

Sep 25 12 02:53 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

When I first started modeling I really, really wanted to do Japanese gothic lolita, gothic Victorian, and latex modeling. The "high fashion" looking stuff, not the punk/Hot Topic stuff. I wanted to do it simply because I thought it looked gorgeous. Latex in particular looked very sleek, erotic, and aristocratic in a more modern way (obviously I had a specific style in mind). Plus, I thought I could pull off all three styles pretty well given my "look." Unfortunately, I had neither the funds to purchase the wardrobe myself nor the connections to get it otherwise, so aside from one latex shoot that I never really got photos from, I have not been able to do any of it.

I would still shoot it if ever given the chance and for basically the same reasons. I like the look and I think I could rock it. ^_~

Sep 25 12 09:19 am Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jon LiIIey wrote:

Perhaps this says more about you choice of reading material than it does about the models.

+1

Sep 25 12 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Mischa Marie wrote:

Totally fun big_smile

Todally.

Sep 25 12 09:23 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Another commercial-photography messiah here to tell us peons about the "real world" and "the market" because besides mainstream commercial photography, what else is there? Why would someone want something he does not want?!?!

Sep 25 12 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Tim Roper

Palo Alto, California, US

Sep 25 12 09:43 am Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

V Laroche wrote:
Another commercial-photography messiah here to tell us peons about the "real world" and "the market" because besides mainstream commercial photography, what else is there? Why would someone want something he does not want?!?!

Someday some of these people are going to have to learn that people have different motives for doing things.  I shoot fetish because I like it.  It's as simple as that and doesn't have to have any economic motive.

Meanwhile I feel like I have a right to approach photography from any angle I'd like.  Literally and figuratively.

Sep 25 12 09:44 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Winnie L wrote:
For fun. They look cool.

+1

Sep 25 12 09:45 am Link

Model

Eugenie de Sade

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Firstly as many others have said, it looks freaking cool.
Also: It's a lot easier (from what I've heard and seen) to become "successful" as an alt or fetish model. The community is smaller,than let's say fashion, and you can also do it if you have tattoos, piercings, wacky hair, are short/voluptuous, pretty much anyone who is likable and fun can do it (assuming they look good on camera of course! smile )
Hope I helped a little!

Sep 25 12 09:48 am Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Rabid Girls, Bizarre, Marquis, Skin Two... just to name a few, are nowhere near "low end" and feature almost exclusively latex/fetish and "goth" (which I'm assuming you mean "alt") shoots.

Sep 25 12 11:26 am Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

V Laroche wrote:
Why would someone want something he does not want?!?!

You mean all people aren't just like me?!

Give me a minute. I need to process this.

Sep 25 12 11:28 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Winnie L wrote:

Well, how come you're ain't in any Miss W  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Sep 25 12 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Winnie L wrote:
For fun. They look cool.

Hardly "highly" sought after

Sep 25 12 11:43 am Link

Model

modelmargaretha

Emmen, Drenthe, Netherlands

Latex can be very chic and classy....  ;>)

Sep 25 12 11:57 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Goth and alternative seems to be much more lenient on model measurements... I find that most models who seek this kind of work simply don't have the right measurements for mainstream.

Sep 25 12 12:07 pm Link

Model

Laura BrokenDoll

Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Winnie L wrote:
For fun. They look cool.

This.

Bizzarre a "low end magazine"?! LOL

Sep 25 12 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:
Goth and alternative seems to be much more lenient on model measurements... I find that most models who seek this kind of work simply don't have the right measurements for mainstream.

I wouldn't agree with that statement. I've shot 5' tall curvy models an 5' 10" slender agency models in latex. They all look great because latex flatters many body types.

Sep 25 12 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Huh.  I happen to love latex.  I've shot it in many forms, fetish, fashion, glamour, cosplay, etc.  I don't know about the "low end magazines" either, Bizzare, Skin II, Gothic Beauty, Dark Beauty, Von Guttenberg, they are anything but "LOW END". 

P.S.  Read this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_West

Sep 25 12 01:51 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

i don't really like mainstream fashions, glamourgoth is cuter and more fun. and modeling isn't my job so i'm more free to do what i want. i'm pretty sure plenty of models make a decent living modeling those kinds of fashions though.

Sep 25 12 01:55 pm Link

Model

modelmargaretha

Marquis is not " Low End"  and perfect (famous) fashion models are in Marquis magazine. I think there is a big difference between " tacky" pictures on the internet and some of the perfect high quality Latex photography. Models of all categories mostly love the latex stuff because it shows your body, it is luxurious and because of the different angle of photography, mostly very creative and daring without being nude.

Sep 25 12 10:23 pm Link

Model

Winnie L

sospix wrote:

Well, how come you're ain't in any Miss W  .  .  .  wink

SOS

I guess the market for them in my area is not that lucrative ...hmm Experimental, yes. Financially, not very stable.

Sep 25 12 10:31 pm Link

Model

Van Burnham

Portland, Oregon, US

I did a latex shot last week and the images we created are some of my favorite... I think latex can be classy if done right.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120921/20/505d364c8c15c_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120921/20/505d364bc7a58_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120921/20/505d364aefabc_m.jpg
That last photo isn't nudity because I'm a boy

Sep 25 12 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

dd photography

San Diego, California, US

Tim Roper wrote:
You might like this one:

http://fashiongonerogue.com/karlie-klos … reg-kadel/

Thanks you!

Sep 25 12 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Not all aesthetics appeal to everyone. I see people shoot a lot of styles I don't appreciate. A lot of commercial/lifestyle photography isn't nearly as interesting to me as some of the latex images I've seen.

If it won't help your book, don't shoot it.

Sep 25 12 11:00 pm Link

Model

Mischa Marie

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

roll

Sep 25 12 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This image has been published in three magazines. One comic magazine and the other two were photography magazines. None of the three I would consider "low end"

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110828/02/4e5a04f526252_m.jpg

Sep 25 12 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies all. There of course will always be exceptions. Virtually every photo has a market, even if it the most smallest of markets.

And maybe defining some of the magazines low end is a mistake, but the rates at most of these magazines are definetly low end.

Sep 26 12 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

Latex is just a material.  How you design it and style it are all together different aspects.  I have shot a decent amount of latex and its so cool to light.  The models I have shot in latex have done it for fun, some just to get something different in their portfolio and show they have a wider range of looks.  The good ones do make good coin too.

Sep 26 12 01:46 am Link

Model

modelmargaretha

I totally agree.  But maybe thats for all categories of modeling the conclusion...   ?
It is all about quality....

Sep 26 12 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Legacy UK Photography

Ipswich, England, United Kingdom

Latex and Gothic here in the UK is very popular especially club wear in the major cities a lot of the work we do for catalogues on the alternative side are always sending items like this for the models to shoot in. With designers like Abigail Greydanus making Latex very trendy it will only get better and more popular.

Sep 26 12 02:01 am Link

Model

modelmargaretha

...... and for anybody who feels good in it..........

Sep 26 12 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

model-maria wrote:
I totally agree.  But maybe thats for all categories of modeling the conclusion...   ?
It is all about quality....

You are right about that it applies to all categories, it is just that I find when someone mentions latex them immediately think fetish.  A previous post had one of Karlie Kloss and she looks great and its more fashion.  I just don't like the immediate stereotyping when one hears the word latex.  Oh well.

Sep 26 12 02:11 am Link