Forums > Model Colloquy > Short model problems

Model

Leia Kiana

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Please someone help. I'm 19 and short. 5'2 to be exact and I live in a state in whih most anything as far as llamaing can be achieved. Virginia isn't the state at the top for fashion. I have been working my ass of for over a year trying to be represented by an agency and nothing. I haven't and won't give up. I understand I will never be runway but I have a sense for fashion and the whole fashion shooting is what I dream.

What advice can you give me?
Thanks

Sep 26 12 01:45 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Honestly, at 5'2"... fashion work is not gonna happen. At least not mainstream fashion.
Hit up local designers, see if they have pieces you can rent and shoot in.
Also, hit up Mickle Design Works and Shon D. They're close to you and awesome.

Sep 26 12 01:48 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

you are close to Shon D. I am officially jealous, he's amazing smile

if you are serious about making this into somewhat of a career, chances are you'll have to venture into nudes at some point.

if you're just in it for the fun and have nice pictures, then just do whatever you want to do smile

good luck!

Sep 26 12 01:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Leia kiana wrote:
...whole fashion shooting is what I dream.

T.H.E. Artist Agency is the only legitimate agency in your market...

Their Petite models are between 5’1" – 5’5" and sized 2P – 8P

here is their submission page...

Now and again I'll have a clothing designer client (rare these days) albeit they are typically looking for taller talent...  that said, I have done fashion editorial narratives with models of your height... but there is no client in the mix, thus no recompense... little if any incentive for the team other than publication... to be honest after you have a few tear sheets they aren't much value or merit... paid work is what matters...

btw, would think very carefully about doing nudes... this could be a significant career limiting move... Leia at 19 you have no idea where your career is going... albeit implied is oft seen in fashion editorials... use good judgment here... be certain you are on the same page as the photographer's aesthetic before agreeing to implied... hope this makes sense...

Sep 26 12 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Leia kiana wrote:
Please someone help. I'm 19 and short. 5'2 to be exact and I live in a state in whih most anything as far as modeling can be achieved. Virginia isn't the state at the top for fashion. I have been working my ass of for over a year trying to be represented by an agency and nothing. I haven't and won't give up. I understand I will never be runway but I have a sense for fashion and the whole fashion shooting is what I dream.

Thanks

Talk to Morgan.  She's a little taller, but not enough to matter for fashion.  She's also awesome.

Sep 26 12 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You might also benefit from the sort of advice that is available if you post in the critique section.

Sep 26 12 04:08 pm Link

Model

Van Ray

Detroit, Michigan, US

On the bright side...the market for shorter female models is a lot better than the market for shorter male models.
Im 5'9.5 and I hate it everyday.

Sep 28 12 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Leia kiana wrote:
Please someone help. I'm 19 and short. 5'2 to be exact and I live in a state in whih most anything as far as modeling can be achieved. Virginia isn't the state at the top for fashion. I have been working my ass of for over a year trying to be represented by an agency and nothing. I haven't and won't give up. I understand I will never be runway but I have a sense for fashion and the whole fashion shooting is what I dream.

Thanks

In the real world there are ZERO legitimate fashion / commercial agencies willing to sign anyone 5'2" or under 5'7".

http://www.newmodels.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN5XuVTFu0k

Just my thoughts ~ MR

Sep 29 12 12:15 am Link

Model

Justin Choriki

Billings, Montana, US

The reality that people will throw at you is that the industry is set on a specific "standard" that they look for however I'm 5'7 I know I'll never do a lot of things industry wise bcuz I'm not tall enough however I've landed projects bcuz I know how to position my body.  Get infront of that mirror and work on your angles and know your body how can you make yourself seem taller, my former manager used to say if it kills every muscle in your body but the pose looks amazing then kill every muscle in your body bcuz you have to compete with models that are taller and "bankable".

Sep 29 12 12:29 am Link

Model

Echo_

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Hey I'm short too smile
Just be realistic of what you want out of this and you should be fine. Being represented by an agency is good but not the only option for models, especially ones that don't fit the standard requirements. Network super hard and see what happens. Another option that I would give is, start blogging. You can use the shoots you want to do and hopefully get a following (of course this is hard to do too).
Best of luck smile

Sep 29 12 12:29 am Link

Model

Echo_

Images by MR wrote:

In the real world there are ZERO legitimate fashion / commercial agencies willing to sign anyone 5'2" or under 5'7".

Just my thoughts ~ MR

This is an exception and not a rule but, this is wrong.  Viva, marylin and pricilla in Sydney have short girls below 5'7

Sep 29 12 12:35 am Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Try not to strive towards something that is causing you stress and work with the talent you have smile

Sep 29 12 12:56 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

I'd highly suggest you read this- http://www.newmodels.com/
Specifically THIS part- http://www.newmodels.com/height.html
...those who are advising you here to "buck the norm" or that somehow "you'll be the exception to the rule" are simply blowing smoke.

Sep 29 12 01:15 am Link

Model

Echo_

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
...those who are advising you here to "buck the norm" or that somehow "you'll be the exception to the rule" are simply blowing smoke.

Not suggesting that shell be the exception, just saying speaking in absolutes is usually wrong.  But yes I agree with reading that to get realistic expectations as to what she can do

Sep 29 12 01:38 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Please just stop with the nonsense.  99% of girls who try don't make it and those are the standard size (i.e height is only part of it).  There is little more the OP can do but model as a hobby.

Sep 29 12 01:43 am Link

Model

Louisa-

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Modelling as a hobby is really the only thing to do. Either that or lads mag style modelling might work (they have pretty short girls in them sometimes.)
I'm 5'6, and I find it extremely difficult.
Unfortunately fashion modelling is out of the question, and even though commercial models can be shorter (good agencies in my area have a 168cm minimum) you are unfortunately too short.

Sep 29 12 02:32 am Link

Model

Kendra from Canada

Tofino, British Columbia, Canada

don't do nudes

get into the fashion industry, become a stylist and get involved in shoots that way, you just might find it rewarding smile

Sep 29 12 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Leia kiana wrote:

Thanks

Get off that  Pity me for I am small wagon!   Small ie short  is good.  You fit very well in a picture series on a  classy  Yatch.     If you were tall the boat would look small.   

Here is a suggestion (and it comes from my years in advertising photography).

Put together a head sheet:   that is a single 8x10  sheet with a good head sheet on one side,  and 2 or three  full length on the other side..  With "Of course" with you  info..   Two or theree line is all that is needed for now..

Work up a good mailing list..  200 mile radious is enough.    Ad agencys,  TV stations (yes TV stations are very good,  and often overlooked).    Keep the mail cost down to  the very minimum.     Another trick is to mail the head sheet  with  no envelope,  and just a  address block..     Did you ever know just how many people see that  uncovered  photo..   (well the polititions do it!)

Direct mail  ssure beats  a computer image..  It is still there when the power goes off.

Sep 29 12 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Kendra from Canada wrote:
don't do nudes

Why shouldn't the OP shoot nudes ?

Sep 29 12 11:33 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nicolette wrote:
Honestly, at 5'2"... fashion work is not gonna happen. At least not mainstream fashion.

This!!!

I wish I was closer to these guys.

Sep 29 12 11:43 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Leia kiana wrote:
Thanks

Find an area outside of modeling to pursue your interest in fashion. There are many careers that involve fashion where, unlike modeling, don't require very specific attributes (and then, even with the perfect industry attributes, the odds of success are quite low).

You already know that at 5'2" there is absolutely no chance of signing with any legit agency who deals with fashion.

Dreaming is wonderful. Working hard is great. But working toward something you know is a physical impossibility is just wasted time...time that could be better spent pursuing realistic and attainable goals.

Sep 29 12 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Nicolette wrote:

For the type of shoots I've been doing lately, shorter is better.

Sep 29 12 11:50 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

don't do nudes

get into the fashion industry, become a stylist and get involved in shoots that way, you just might find it rewarding smile

With all due respect, you're 17 years old. I'm confident that you've never shot in that arena or worked on any nude project, ever, in any aspect. And yet you're making that statement based on what?

Do you think you're in the best position to make such an absolute statement regarding another model's path?

Or do you just think nudes are icky and since you would never do it, nobody else should either? You're advice would have been fine without your personal agenda.

Sep 29 12 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Images by MR wrote:

Just my thoughts ~ MR

You just can't say zero. I've worked with one model who's 5'3" and is represented by a very legitimate agency. She's also a freak of nature, she has an amazing face for editorial work and great proportions, she photographs taller than she is.

Is it going to happen often? No, the model I know is maybe one in a million. Do I think it is likely to happen for the OP? No. But I don't think it helps when making these arguments to say it never happens for anyone, because there are examples when it does.

To the OP: I think the "keep the dream alive" thing doesn't really apply in areas where your results are largely determined by genetics. I was never going to play shortstop for the NY Yankees or center for the LA Lakers. That was ruled out when I was conceived. I don't have the natural athletic talent for the former or the height for the latter.

There are areas where a 5'2" model can work but fashion isn't likely to be one of them. You can keep beating your head against the wall and trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, or you can focus on areas where your height is less of a hindrance. There are a lot of shorter glamour and art models, for example, although I think it's hard to be successful in either without posing nude.

I think posing nude is a very personal decision but I don't buy the argument that it hurts people as a model. It depends some on what you do and who with, but my friend I mentioned had done a lot of killer art nudes before she got signed with an agency and it doesn't appear to have hurt her in the least.

Sep 29 12 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I would shoot with you (gratis) for portfolio development - a full team fashion shoot if you pick up the tab for the hair / makeup / wardrobe -

There are indie magazines which accept non-agency-standard models for publication submissions if you are looking for tears.

For my own work  I need an agency standard model with a marketable / publishable look.  I offer pay if there is a client and trade for tears  (I provide the production team)  to suitable models.

Sep 29 12 12:22 pm Link

Model

CamiAnn

Los Angeles, California, US

Rich Burroughs wrote:

You just can't say zero. I've worked with one model who's 5'3" and is represented by a very legitimate agency. She's also a freak of nature, she has an amazing face for editorial work and great proportions, she photographs taller than she is.

Is it going to happen often? No, the model I know is maybe one in a million. Do I think it is likely to happen for the OP? No. But I don't think it helps when making these arguments to say it never happens for anyone, because there are examples when it does.

To the OP: I think the "keep the dream alive" thing doesn't really apply in areas where your results are largely determined by genetics. I was never going to play shortstop for the NY Yankees or center for the LA Lakers. That was ruled out when I was conceived. I don't have the natural athletic talent for the former or the height for the latter.

There are areas where a 5'2" model can work but fashion isn't likely to be one of them. You can keep beating your head against the wall and trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, or you can focus on areas where your height is less of a hindrance. There are a lot of shorter glamour and art models, for example, although I think it's hard to be successful in either without posing nude.

I think posing nude is a very personal decision but I don't buy the argument that it hurts people as a model. It depends some on what you do and who with, but my friend I mentioned had done a lot of killer art nudes before she got signed with an agency and it doesn't appear to have hurt her in the least.

+1  I've done art nudes and some glamour nudes and implieds and it hasn't hurt me at all... my dreams are realistic for the most part though.  I'm only 5'2" and I'm 53 and have been modeling since 2004...I know fashion won't happen... but glamour, art, implieds...can be done...I have signed with an agency before for print work...but have been promoting myself for the most part...I have had some success but it won't ever be fulltime for me as it probably isn't for a lot unless they do nudes, etc....again, being realistic. I haven't delved into only nudes but I do some for the right project.  If the OP's heart is set on fashion, then she needs to re-evalute if she wants to model or work in the fashion industry.

Sep 29 12 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Have you considered a related field?  If you love fashion, have you thought about fashion design?  There's a lot of creativity that happens before the cameras are pulled out.

I have a niece that is gorgeous.  She has the face and body to model but like you,  she's too short.   She recently graduated from FIT. She was chosen as one of the contestants in a design competition with Parsons School of Fashion. 

Honestly it's more dynamic and I say, offers a lot of opportunities that would not be available if her only interest in fashion was modeling.   

I'll qualify the suggestion with the following:
She's been in to fashion design for years and is an amazing artist.   Her drawings have gotten her a lot of attention and it was the quality of her art as much as her design, that caught the eye of some folks at Michale Kors. 

She lives in NYC and is pursuing her dream of fashion design.

Her road is no less challenging than yours but in her case, her height is not an issue.

Sep 29 12 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

john_ellis

Spokane, Washington, US

Leia kiana wrote:

Thanks

Advice?  Dunno.  I'm still trying to figure out my local commercial market myself, so what I'm learning here probably won't apply to your market.

Anyway, just keep shooting and doing what you love.  In 20 years for now, you won't care whether you were paid or not back then... you'll just dig the fact that you took all of these amazing photos when you were younger.

Sep 29 12 04:00 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

At 5'2 you have basically have no agency potential. I'm 5'2 so I know this personally. You can basically just freelance until you don't want to do it anymore.

Sep 29 12 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

karenjerzykphotography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Look up Rachael Dashae and Kacey Wilson, they are (for starters) VERY well respected models who are around 5'nothing. You wont get runway or fashion work, because clothes look better on taller figures (the way it hangs, etc), but that AT ALL doesnt close the doors to modeling as a job.

Sep 29 12 04:16 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

You can shoot fashion if you have realistic goals. There are plenty of starting designers and alternative designers (such as those you might find on etsy) who might be willing to work with you.

There is also the option of designing your own clothing and modeling that. That would have the added bonus of providing you with something further beyond modeling as well.

I am 4'10" and I have done a runway show. It was not a high profile thing, just a little show at a club, but it was a runway show. I have been approached for other events as well, but it just does not feel like my thing.

Something else that I think you might consider since you mentioned actually having a sense for fashion (versus wanting just the spotlight and such) is a fashion blog and shooting outfits you put together. I know there are a lot of girls/women who do that and also spread their images about on blogs, Tumblr, fashion sites, etc. I do not know a ton about it, but you could probably find a lot by looking into it. A lot of those women seem to have a pretty nice following and I am pretty sure there are no height requirements.

Sep 29 12 04:22 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

don't do nudes

Huh? Have you looked at a fashion magazine? Ever?

If OP has any hopes of making it as a full time model, she will have to do nudes.

Sep 29 12 04:31 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Leia kiana wrote:

Thanks

The best advice I can give you is to give it up. Aint gonna happen.

You can shoot fashion all day long for fun/hobby, but the chances of you making it as a fashion model or getting signed with a legitimate agency are zero percent. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but nobody is doing you any favors by blowing smoke up your ass. And getting signed with an agency and actually booking work are two different things.

That doesn't mean all doors are closed to you. Build a good portfolio, network your ass off, and become an internet model. Most do nudes though......

Sep 29 12 04:32 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

I shoot nudes for money and stable work/fun and occasionally I get paid or hit up for something fun in fashion.

5'3'' and otherwise sample size, but the reality is what it is.

Sep 29 12 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

don't do nudes

At 17 I am sure you have figured out the entire BC Canada fashion industry already but given that you can't even consider doing anything with nudity I think the OP may want to decide for herself.  She is after all two years older then you and if she learns at you pace no doubt has already leaned the meaning of life.

There is nudity in fashion perhaps you should read a fashion magazine once or twice...

Sep 29 12 11:24 pm Link

Model

Stormee

San Antonio, Texas, US

Sep 29 12 11:44 pm Link

Model

Nylon

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Kelly Anne-Marie wrote:
I was told by some members on this site that short people can't do fashion.

Well 'some people' are probably ill adviced. ;p LOL.

Anyhooo, at 5'2" realistically speaking that is only so much Fashion modeling you can do unless you are willing to explore the alternative fashion scene. If you mean general modeling per se, then I would say so you still stand a pretty good chance. You just need to find your niche and network around.

Sep 29 12 11:56 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

B R E N N A N wrote:

If OP has any hopes of making it as a full time model, she will have to do nudes.

+1

For realz...

Sep 30 12 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:

In regards to fashion, that section on height is correct, but there are plenty of options for shorter models in other areas.  I have been shooting many more "shorter" models and paying them.  In fact Nicolette, who has posted here, is one of those models.  But then I don't shoot much in the way of fashion either.

Sep 30 12 04:24 pm Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

B R E N N A N wrote:

This.

Sep 30 12 04:33 pm Link