Forums > Critique > new port images

Photographer

AmberHerrera

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, US

Check out my new port, and tell me if its good for MM. I've only been a photographer for 2 years (in Jan) and I'm trying my hand at different styles until I figure out my direction..  Thanks      ~Amber

Oct 04 12 07:26 pm Link

Model

Nylon

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

You're definitely doing it right~! Can't wait to see when you've figured the not so final direction you're going to take.

Oct 04 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

AmberHerrera

Nylon wrote:
You're definitely doing it right~! Can't wait to see when you've figured the not so final direction you're going to take.

Thanks Nylon, let me just say your port is so fun, much different than what I see here in the states.. The triptych is especially amazing. Sexy, artful, and a hint of horror.  You've worked with some talented photographers for sure!

Oct 04 12 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Well, I'd rethink "Framed by Amber: Portraiture on the edge".

Let your images speak for themselves. Folks will decide if they are indeed 'Portraiture on the edge.' It's like you are apologizing on the image because it may not be what people expect. Let 'em be surprised! Most folks will figure out that your vision is not the Sears Photo Studio type image.

And 'Framed by Amber' sounds like a frame shop. If you want your name on the image... put it on and leave the 'frame' stuff off.

Just my opinion.

BTW It's Ciao... not caio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciao

Oct 05 12 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

AmberHerrera

Well, since people already know me as Framed by Amber, I can't change it. I don't like it myself.  That's neither here nor there.  I asked for input on portfolio, not smart ass remarks. But I guess that's inevitable for those that think their above everyone. Unfortunately that is something that runs strong within this business.  Ciao!

Oct 06 12 08:39 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It's good that you are trying to find your way, your images have some common feel but not exactly a cohesive signature yet that say "Amber shot this".  That will come if you keep shooting.

I would worry more about how well you accept feedback, your response was curt and not at all inline whith what someone said to you.  I know I paused to wonder if I should ever bother and I am sure others may just say "what's the point"

Oct 06 12 08:49 am Link

Photographer

AmberHerrera

AJScalzitti wrote:
It's good that you are trying to find your way, your images have some common feel but not exactly a cohesive signature yet that say "Amber shot this".  That will come if you keep shooting.

I would worry more about how well you accept feedback, your response was curt and not at all inline whith what someone said to you.  I know I paused to wonder if I should ever bother and I am sure others may just say "what's the point"

I don't at all mind constructive criticism. I was making a point that I can't change my business name, this far into the game. My response was no more curt than what the prior posted. It just seems that people are more apt to being "bully's" than actually being helpful.  I want opinions from those that are more experienced, and willing to help,  about my IMAGES, because to me, that is what is important. I want to grow as an artist.  The slogan can be removed. That was a good point. No big deal. A spelling error, geeze it happens.  Did I need the link to wiki? (That's more what I was referring to) The more I read topics from people actually wanting feed back to improve themselves, the more I see others being rude and saying things that don't apply, are unnecessary, harsh, and that aren't helpful in any way.  New people ask stupid questions.Its inevitable. But isn't it easier to refrain from posting anything, than it is to be spiteful.  Just my opinion.

And yes, I don't have a signature as of yet. I'm just having fun exploring. smile

Oct 06 12 09:06 am Link

Photographer

AmberHerrera

AJScalzitti wrote:

by the way, great natural light image! https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110721/11/4e286c153bf53_m.jpg

Oct 06 12 09:10 am Link

Photographer

AmberHerrera

The Effective Image wrote:
Well, I'd rethink "Framed by Amber: Portraiture on the edge".

Let your images speak for themselves. Folks will decide if they are indeed 'Portraiture on the edge.' It's like you are apologizing on the image because it may not be what people expect. Let 'em be surprised! Most folks will figure out that your vision is not the Sears Photo Studio type image.

And 'Framed by Amber' sounds like a frame shop. If you want your name on the image... put it on and leave the 'frame' stuff off.

Just my opinion.

BTW It's Ciao... not caio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciao

Regardless..   lovely image https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 1#24356841

Oct 06 12 09:13 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thank you BTW,  exploring is good keep doing it.  Also keep asking for feedback, even better if you can go to an actual portfolio review sometime.  It may be difficult to see your own style and signature in an image, sometimes others can pick up on it way before you do.

Oct 06 12 09:15 am Link

Photographer

AmberHerrera

AJScalzitti wrote:
Thank you BTW,  exploring is good keep doing it.  Also keep asking for feedback, even better if you can go to an actual portfolio review sometime.  It may be difficult to see your own style and signature in an image, sometimes others can pick up on it way before you do.

Is that something that takes place here on MM?

Oct 06 12 09:17 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AmberHerrera wrote:

Is that something that takes place here on MM?

Not too much, usually they are part of the large trade shows.  I realize that may be out of the way for you given you location but I don't really know much about the activities on that side of the US.

Oh and as to your signature, you landscape images all "feel" the same.  They are expressive and a bit romantic, I think a very marketing able style.  You use interesting angles and select good moments to capture.  It's your portrait images that appear more like you are searching for something to call your own.

I am not sure why the way the camera is held would matter wink

Oct 06 12 09:22 am Link

Photographer

AmberHerrera

AJScalzitti wrote:

Not too much, usually they are part of the large trade shows.  I realize that may be out of the way for you given you location but I don't really know much about the activities on that side of the US.

Oh and as to your signature, you landscape images all "feel" the same.  They are expressive and a bit romantic, I think a very marketing able style.  You use interesting angles and select good moments to capture.  It's your portrait images that appear more like you are searching for something to call your own.

I am not sure why the way the camera is held would matter wink

Funny, but I've noticed that myself.  I think I need to get a grip. Having my wrist curled makes me shake and distracts me from what I'm doing.

Oct 06 12 09:27 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Oh here is a video link I just got the other day from PDN about the portfolio review they are doing in NYC

http://player.vimeo.com/video/46378376

It does a good job of explaining what one is and why they are good, granted its in NYC but I am sure there are some events on the west coast.

Oct 06 12 09:34 am Link

Photographer

AmberHerrera

AJScalzitti wrote:
Oh here is a video link I just got the other day from PDN about the portfolio review they are doing in NYC

http://player.vimeo.com/video/46378376

It does a good job of explaining what one is and why they are good, granted its in NYC but I am sure there are some events on the west coast.

Looks like fun and nerve wracking. lol .

Oct 06 12 09:57 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AmberHerrera wrote:
Looks like fun and nerve wracking. lol .

True, but it's nice to get some actual industry professionals feedback.  Sometimes when we just go to other photographeres we get caught up in things like what lighting was used.  What to the people see when they look at our work is valuable as much as how we got it.

Oct 06 12 10:02 am Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

AmberHerrera wrote:

I don't at all mind constructive criticism. I was making a point that I can't change my business name, this far into the game. My response was no more curt than what the prior posted. It just seems that people are more apt to being "bully's" than actually being helpful.  I want opinions from those that are more experienced, and willing to help,  about my IMAGES, because to me, that is what is important. I want to grow as an artist.  The slogan can be removed. That was a good point. No big deal. A spelling error, geeze it happens.  Did I need the link to wiki? (That's more what I was referring to) The more I read topics from people actually wanting feed back to improve themselves, the more I see others being rude and saying things that don't apply, are unnecessary, harsh, and that aren't helpful in any way.  New people ask stupid questions.Its inevitable. But isn't it easier to refrain from posting anything, than it is to be spiteful.  Just my opinion.

And yes, I don't have a signature as of yet. I'm just having fun exploring. smile

Well, at the risk of sounding rude and overbearing, let me just say that I was referring to your images and what you put on them. Keep the 'Framed by Amber' if folks know you by that but maybe rethink putting it in big letters across your images.

Oct 07 12 05:53 pm Link