Forums > General Industry > ShootingNudesOnly

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Erika Muse wrote:

Its the REPEATED asking by the same photographers and the constant persuading that led me to ask a simple question in search for others oppinions.  There is nothing to say, "freak out" about. Lol

Your question had nothing to do with people asking you to shoot nudes repeatedly, at least to someone reading it.

Oct 06 12 08:37 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rich Burroughs wrote:

Your question had nothing to do with people asking you to shoot nudes repeatedly, at least to someone reading it.

That's true. I can't read people's minds. Her OP clearly didn't mention anything about that.

hmm

Oct 06 12 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Erika Muse wrote:
I think nudes can be very artistic depending on the context. And when i become established i plan on doing some. So let me be specific, it's when a photographer claims to shoot many genres but his or her portfolio contains strictly nudes. Its the lack of diversity that is a turn off to me. But I am only sharing my thoughts and oppinions. We are all adults here, there is no reason to get defensive.

I, for example, DO shoot "many genres", but this port is where I've collected the art nudes.

This is also my work:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120329/09/4f7492576b5ee_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110918/20/4e76be01b32a0_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/101015/09/4cb8877b81473_m.jpg

Oct 06 12 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Erika Muse wrote:
If a photographer shoots only one genre then he or she should state that. Not claim many and only specify in ONE. This is what bothers me. Especially when said photographer wants to include me in his projects.

I shoot a variety, but I'm usually looking to include nudes (and portrait) in most trade shoots.  But I'm not interested in pushing anyone, aside from being lame, it's a recipe for drama.

Oct 06 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Funny I just came back from an art show featuring Jeffery Scott (of 1019) and he starts with all nudes, didn't appear to bother anyone or the models...

Oct 06 12 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Chuckarelei wrote:
Ok, let me guess? You want to shoot with certain photographers. But they say they only shoot you if you do nude. And you get totally turned off because of that?

Erika Muse wrote:
Yes.

You cannot have it both ways. If you want to shoot with them, you shoot what they want to shoot. If they want to shoot with you, they shoot what you want to shoot.

Oct 06 12 08:47 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

Los Angeles, California, US

Rich Burroughs wrote:

Excusez moi, my mistake, i didnt think i needed to, at first, give so much more detail as to why i asked the question in the first place.  But i think many people who have responded to this thread assumed i was being hateful. Somewhat irritated from some experiences with the photographers in my town...but not meaning to be disrespectful towards anyone here. Not in my character.

Oct 06 12 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Rich Burroughs wrote:

Erika Muse wrote:
Excusez moi, my mistake, i didnt think i needed to, at first, give so much more detail as to why i asked the question in the first place.  But i think many people who have responded to this thread assumed i was being hateful. Somewhat irritated from some experiences with the photographers in my town...but not meaning to be disrespectful towards anyone here. Not in my character.

The concern you eventually mentioned was about people pressuring you to do something you don't want to do, although they have every right to insist upon you doing what works for them, if you want to shoot with them.

But, your original post was ranting about what other people choose to do as their art / business.

Oct 06 12 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:
You cannot have it both ways. If you want to shoot with them, you shoot what they want to shoot. If they want to shoot with you, they shoot what you want to shoot.

Also, everything's situational. Just because someone tells you they won't shoot you unless you'll pose nude, it doesn't mean that they say that to everyone.

I usually want models to shoot at least partial nudes but it depends on the model. If I'm shooting you fully clothed only, you're probably going to need to be an agency model or someone who could be.

Oct 06 12 08:56 pm Link

Model

Red Delight

Naples, Florida, US

personally I get offended by models who think they are better than me because I pose nude and they don't. If a photographer wants me to pose doing something I am not interested in shooting I just say no thanks or not for me. I get a lot of request and to be honest I have never had one problem with "constant asking" or "persuading"
I use the block button and it works just fine.
In my opinion this is what an adult would do and NOT B!@# about it in forums.
BTW I NEVER post in threads but Sorry I am just sick of these kind of threads

Oct 06 12 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Erika Muse wrote:

Well you kind of were being hateful. It's not up to you what kind of work someone does. If they only shoot nudes, that's their business. There's no reason for you to be bothered by it. And it's kind of snarky to come here and start a thread saying how much it bores you. And also kind of passive aggressive considering you had a whole different issue that was bothering you.

People who make images out of passion don't necessarily choose what work they do, it chooses them. I never anticipated shooting so much nude work when I started out. I thought I'd be shooting outdoor fashion editorials. And as I started to shoot my work veered off into a totally different, unexpected direction.

Art is very personal.

Again, if you don't want to shoot nudes, say so. If someone harasses you, block them. It's not really that hard.

Oct 06 12 09:03 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

Red Delight wrote:
personally I get offended by llamas who think they are better than me because I pose nude and they don't. If a photographer wants me to pose doing something I am not interested in shooting I just say no thanks or not for me. I get a lot of request and to be honest I have never had one problem with "constant asking" or "persuading"

I wouldnt dare get offended if someone "thought" they were better than me i could care less. But if i have an opinion i will state it. And i'll respect others who choose to give theirs. If asking questions and giving opinions in a place that gives me the freedom to do so is called "bitching" to you then you should stay away from the forum entirely.

Oct 06 12 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Red Delight wrote:
personally I get offended by models who think they are better than me because I pose nude and they don't. If a photographer wants me to pose doing something I am not interested in shooting I just say no thanks or not for me. I get a lot of request and to be honest I have never had one problem with "constant asking" or "persuading"

Erika Muse wrote:
I wouldnt dare get offended if someone "thought" they were better than me i could care less. But if i have an opinion i will state it. And i'll respect others who choose to give theirs. If asking questions and giving opinions in a place that gives me the freedom to do so is called "bitching" to you then you should stay away from the forum entirely.

Interesting.

Oct 06 12 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Santa Cruz, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Am I the only photographer who gets turned off by models who won't shoot nudes?

No! Lol

Oct 06 12 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Art of the nude wrote:
Interesting.

lulz

Oct 06 12 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Image Magik

Santa Cruz, California, US

Rich Burroughs wrote:

Also, everything's situational. Just because someone tells you they won't shoot you unless you'll pose nude, it doesn't mean that they say that to everyone.

I usually want models to shoot at least partial nudes but it depends on the model. If I'm shooting you fully clothed only, you're probably going to need to be an agency model or someone who could be.

Yes that is quite true. Some models are sexy
with clothes on and some not as much. Some models are great face
or hair models and some are not. As a photographer
I try to take pictures that interest people. If a model wants to be successful
she needs to find out what her strengths are to make her
most successful.

Oct 06 12 09:18 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

Art of the nude wrote:

Red Delight wrote:

Interesting.

And so true

Oct 06 12 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony KnightHawk Studios

Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US

]

Red Delight wrote:

Interesting.

Seems to me this thread has more issues then ebay has auctions. Everyone just take a breath and step away from the keyboard. I don't think the OP was saying she is better than nude models. I just think she was trying to incite a riot against photographers who shoot nudes. Whew I hope we cleared that up now.

Oct 06 12 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

SuperWink

Decatur, Georgia, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:
Are you the only one? Probably not. Just like there's not only one person who discriminates against others for all sorts of stuff.

Zing!

Oct 06 12 11:18 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

Tony KnightHawk Studios wrote:
]

Red Delight wrote:

Interesting.

Seems to me this thread has more issues then ebay has auctions. Everyone just take a breath and step away from the keyboard. I don't think the OP was saying she is better than nude models. I just think she was trying to incite a riot against photographers who shoot nudes. Whew I hope we cleared that up now.

I admire the sarcasm...and the childishness. There's nothing wrong with nudes. I said nudes "only". And trying to persuade me to do nudes after i've said N.O.  If there has been any misunderstanding it's due to gaps in people's intelligence because i've explained myself enough.

Oct 06 12 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Erika Muse wrote:
Am i the only model that gets turned off by photographers that shoot nudes ONLY.

and

Erika Muse wrote:
I admire the sarcasm...and the childishness. There's nothing wrong with nudes. I said nudes "only". And trying to persuade me to do nudes after i've said N.O.  If there has been any misunderstanding it's due to gaps in people's intelligence because i've explained myself enough.

With all due respect, and I do mean that. Many of the people who reply to the thread you have created and your original post aren't going to read the entire thread. Therefore you're going to have to continue to answer the original question you asked which if you do go back and read it is and was obviously insulting to many of the photographers on here. As long as you continue to defend that statement, and you pretty much have continued to defend it people are going to continue to be offended.

You have a couple of options, you can walk away from this thread, go back and add a small edit to your original post (and identify that you edited it) to explain what you really meant, and quite possibly when people mention nude work to you and you don't want to do it, STOP replying to them.

Oct 07 12 12:09 am Link

Photographer

runirone

New York, New York, US

I saw your port & serious nude photographers would not ask "you" to pose nude so no worries. The folks asking "you" are probably just guys-with-cameras. Real Talk.

Oct 07 12 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Moodscapes

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Here's another perspective - I mainly shoot nudes but I put down most genres  because I shoot TFP and I'm happy to trade shooting nudes for any other genre a model may want to pick. So in a shoot we'll shoot a range of genres but I usually only end up posting the nudes because atm that is the genre that most interests me.

Oct 07 12 12:29 am Link

Model

Mz Muse

runi rone urban studio wrote:
I saw your port & serious nude photographers would not ask "you" to pose nude so no worries. The folks asking "you" are probably just guys-with-cameras. Real Talk.

And why wouldnt they ask? (Other than the fact that i say no on my profile). Lol my body is perfect for nudes. But that kind of modeling can wait.

Oct 07 12 12:40 am Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

No. I like shooting nudes. They like shooting nudes. Why does it matter if they prefer not to bother with wardrobe?

In turn, do you get turned off by models that only shoot nudes? What about artists that only draw or paint the nude figure?

Oct 07 12 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Erika Muse wrote:

"Asking repeatedly, or not taking no for an answer is wrong" yes...yes it is

Okay then, to add to a previous posters post:

1. No
2 Thanks
3. Block.

Oct 07 12 12:54 am Link

Model

Mz Muse

For those just tuning in: those same questions have been asked, and the same answers given. Its been a struggle trying to get my point across, but i'd rather people read eveything from the beginning than continuing this conversation.

Oct 07 12 01:05 am Link

Photographer

MC Grain

New York, New York, US

Erika Muse wrote:
Am i the only model that gets turned off by photographers that shoot nudes ONLY.

I dontk ow any photographer who shoots nudes only.

If you look in my port you'd think I only shoot nudes, but they're less than half of what I shoot.

Oct 07 12 01:05 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I shoot nudes so no, not at all.

I get turned off by Erotica and Fetish, solely because they don't interest me.

However, it's dangerous to generalise because every now and then (it's rare but it happens) I'll see someone do it brilliantly.

Most of the time, it's off putting. Especially if that's all they do and they don't even do it well.

Oct 07 12 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Moodscapes wrote:
Here's another perspective - I mainly shoot nudes but I put down most genres  because I shoot TFP and I'm happy to trade shooting nudes for any other genre a model may want to pick. So in a shoot we'll shoot a range of genres but I usually only end up posting the nudes because atm that is the genre that most interests me.

+1

Oct 07 12 01:41 am Link

Model

Mz Muse

Kelly Kooper wrote:
I shoot nudes so no, not at all.

I get turned off by Erotica and Fetish, solely because they don't interest me.

However, it's dangerous to generalise because every now and then (it's rare but it happens) I'll see someone do it brilliantly.

Most of the time, it's off putting. Especially if that's all they do and they don't even do it well.

Exactly. Thankyou

Oct 07 12 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

What a person chooses to display in their portfolio is a marketing choice and not a reflection of what they can do. For example, I shoot weddings and events as well as portraits for my retail work. You won't be seeing any of that work here on MM but it doesn't mean that I don't shoot it or have a passion for shooting it.

To my thinking, the portfolio reflects the work that you are most interested in pursuing. It's also a means of filtering out those that you know will be a challenge to work with during a shoot.

Oct 07 12 03:45 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Erika Muse wrote:

And why wouldnt they ask? (Other than the fact that i say no on my profile). Lol my body is perfect for nudes. But that kind of modeling can wait.

I would think the all caps no to nudes in your portfolio would be more then enough reason to not ask you.  Granted it also does nothing to sell you to anyone as well...

Oct 07 12 04:03 am Link

Model

Love_mya

Rockbank, Victoria, Australia

Oct 07 12 04:05 am Link

Model

Love_mya

Rockbank, Victoria, Australia

I dont get it but you have implied nudes in your portfolio...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 6#30174826

Oct 07 12 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

I have a casting up for nude work. From the replies so far approx 25% state in their profile they don't do nudes, but in fact they do. Now had I seen their portfolios without them replying to the casting I would have passed them by. However, some photographers would still ask.

Oct 07 12 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Am I the only photographer who gets turned off by models who won't shoot nudes?

Some are really interested in women's clothes, me, not at all.

Oct 07 12 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Erika Muse wrote:

It seems quite normal; you see a possible use for those photographers and it turns out to be something they are not supplying. I also am turned off by people who don't supply what I want. I've found I can: negotiate for what I want, go on to the next person, express my irritation to others, or stew quietly in resentment.

best of luck

Oct 07 12 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

John Malloch Caldwell wrote:
I have a casting up for nude work. From the replies so far approx 25% state in their profile they don't do nudes, but in fact they do. Now had I seen their portfolios without them replying to the casting I would have passed them by. However, some photographers would still ask.

I found that, too.  But I also ask.  I have found that a well-described proposition, together with a decent fee, works for me.

I don't pester, though.  No reply, or a single 'no', is enough, and I move on.

Oct 07 12 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Eridu

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Art of the nude wrote:
I shoot a variety, but I'm usually looking to include nudes (and portrait) in most trade shoots.  But I'm not interested in pushing anyone, aside from being lame, it's a recipe for drama.

Precisely, what purpose does it serve to make a model uncomfortable and not produce any work of quality as a result? I have politely suggested-requested that a model consider a nude when they ordinarily didn't do them and, in some cases they agreed and in others they did not but, I did it in such a way as to let them know that their answer would in no way make a difference as to anything else we produced together.

Oct 07 12 05:12 am Link