Retoucher

Angela Perez

Orlando, Florida, US

So what was updated or implemented new in cs6.  I used to use cs2 and didn't upgrade that until cs5 so I'm wondering whats new in cs6 and if the new features are worth upgrading to. So can someone just tell me what are the new features or updated features in cs6. Thanks

Oct 11 12 05:06 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

here is a not so boring presentation for you...I recommend to watch till the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIm6uvxJ7OU

Oct 11 12 05:26 am Link

Retoucher

Angela Perez

Orlando, Florida, US

Koray wrote:
here is a not so boring presentation for you...I recommend to watch till the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIm6uvxJ7OU

Thanks

Oct 11 12 06:40 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

I have already benefitted from the new auto save feature

Oct 11 12 07:09 am Link

Retoucher

Kristiana-Retouch

Rīga, Rīga, Latvia

I also upgraded recently to cs6. Definitely some nice and handy features. Saving while working, puppet warp, content aware and interface overall smile

Oct 11 12 08:52 am Link

Retoucher

Tim Whitney

Brooklyn, New York, US

Auto save/recover and background saving are huge and my favorite part. I save so much more frequently now because I don't have to stop working while it saves I can just let it save in the background. I'm pretty keen on the close all/save all thing, too.

Puppet warp is awesome. I've used it in After Effects before and always wished I had in PS. You may not use it often, but when you need it, it's amazing.

The darker interface is nice, as well.

Oct 12 12 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Jacob Davis

Boulder, Colorado, US

Tim Whitney wrote:
Auto save/recover and background saving are huge and my favorite part.

Upgrading from CS3, this feature plus a SSD almost made me weep with joy.

Oct 12 12 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

We are getting ready to upgrade almost 200 macs to CS6 from CS4... all the windows machines will keep CS5 for a while.

Most noticeable is the interface and auto save.

Oct 12 12 07:44 am Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

Auto save as a great feature, is, well, not so great. Ctrl-s has become a natural reaction for me when I do something I like, and save-as is the way to go when the mind wants to get a bit crazy. Even if auto save saves every 10 minutes, that's a lot of progress at some points. Best the user get in the habit of saving whenever you really like what is happening, and most importantly, back up the good stuff. Save every 5 minutes, not every 5 hours.

Oct 12 12 04:19 pm Link

Retoucher

Wykrhm Reddy

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India

I personally love the upgrade. I have a pretty high end computer and performance was never an issue with CS5 either but somehow everything seems all that more smoother in CS6 and as someone who works with a tablet, I really like this a lot. Even at extremely large canvases, the lag is almost negligible.

The auto-save feature has to be one of the finer additions this time. While PS crashes have never been a problem for me, I live in a country where there are very random power outages so that makes me love this feature even more.

If you're a retoucher, you will love the elimination of delay in strokes on various tools especially like the Liquify.

The video linked to above should give you the quick overview you needed but if you're looking for a personal opinion, it's well worth the upgrade. But if you're not a heavy user of the program, I'd say you might not notice the finer benefits that this upgrade offers. So you will have to keep that in mind.

Oct 12 12 05:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Angela Perez

Orlando, Florida, US

So I went ahead an upgraded auto save  made my decision since I hate to stop working to save. First thing I noticed is how smooth it is to navigate across the image and zoom in and out. Not choppy like before. So far so good. Still trying to get used to the darker interface and a few added buttons.

Oct 13 12 05:30 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

JLC Images wrote:

Or, for $19, you could have bought the PSD Autosave plugin wink

http://www.electriciris.com/psdautosaver.html

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 13 12 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Jacob Davis wrote:

Upgrading from CS3, this feature plus a SSD almost made me weep with joy.

I'm curious, an SSD for what , OS, or applications, or another one for cache?

What makes PS work best these days, an SSD as start up disk or used as a scratch?

Oct 13 12 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Jacob Davis

Boulder, Colorado, US

Neil Snape wrote:
I'm curious, an SSD for what , OS, or applications, or another one for cache?

What makes PS work best these days, an SSD as start up disk or used as a scratch?

Use it as the boot drive for improved start up and initial application load speeds. This won't affect Photoshop much beyond its startup. People who use hibernate functions and the like swear by the speed of an SSD. It really is very quick, but I don't use it and don't mind the start times.

Use it as a scratch and data drive, and performance boost is significant. I think the scratch disk performance only really shines if you push your system RAM to its limits. The fast saves are a godsend though.

The ideal setup is supposedly to segregate the scratch disk from the data disk, using an SSD for each. I've got both on a single SSD and performance is very nice, although I'm careful to backup data to another disk. Like any other frequent set massive file writes, lots of scratch activity will destabilize a file system over time.

Oct 13 12 06:21 am Link

Retoucher

Tim Whitney

Brooklyn, New York, US

I actually went one further with the SSD. I initially could only affor a 128GB SSD but after a few months realized it wasn't big enough for my boot drive and upgraded to a 256GB. I now use that smaller drive as my scratch disk and run PS off the new SSD. PS launches in about 3 seconds for me and I am able to work with exceptionally large files smoothly and quickly. I have literally filled that 128 GB drive with PS temp files. It wasn't cheap but I was able to write it off... smile

Oct 13 12 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

I was super psyched for this release originally, but i can't say its made a HUGE difference. Interface changes are slightly more convenient. Content aware move tool is nice but i don't really use it much... ever, really. Its not bad though, good enough to move a tree sideways in grass. My favorite additions were the blur gallery and lighting effects, you used to have to purchase 3rd party plugins if you wanted to create a tilt shift effect or realistic depth of field (surface blur can't hack it like the blur gallery). I know there was also improvements to 3D in photoshop but i would never use ps for that anyway cause i've got Cinema 4D and maya for that and they'll always do it better.

A couple people commented on the puppet warp tool being new? I thought that had been in photoshop for a while but maybe i was thinking of after effects. Its cool anyway.

Oct 14 12 02:23 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Ben Hinman wrote:
(...)I know there was also improvements to 3D in photoshop but i would never use ps for that anyway cause i've got Cinema 4D and maya for that and they'll always do it better.(...)

The tied integration of Cinema 4D R14 and PS extended is amazing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J73FQHJZ4Rc

Oct 14 12 02:38 am Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Pictus wrote:

The tied integration of Cinema 4D R14 and PS extended is amazing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J73FQHJZ4Rc

Just when i think C4D can't impress me anymore than they already have. big_smile I was excited when i heard they were adding sculpting tools to R14 but i guess they wanted to take it even further. Think they'll make one for after effects too?

Oct 14 12 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Absolute Deviant

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

JLC Images wrote:

+100  Same here.  Power went out when it wasn't even raining, first week after upgrading.   Didn't even realize the feature was there until i reopened the program.

Oct 14 12 06:05 pm Link