Forums > Model Colloquy > Models, Casting Response, or lack of

Photographer

Rob Walker

Brighton, Colorado, US

So I sent out some casting notices to some models I was interested in working with, and the responses were less then I had hoped for, the few models that replied ended up flaking on me, and some even tried to tell me to change the dates I was looking for. If the model read the notice but failed to reply, can I assume ( yea I know ) she wasn't interested in the shoot, working with me. Now as I choose to send out another casting should I include the models that didn't reply, or should I pass on them? What format of casting notices get's the most response from you models that shoot a lot?

Thanks all and hope you all can help me with my issue.

~Rob
SharpShooter Images

Oct 13 12 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Joseph

Naperville, Illinois, US

No reply IS a reply.
I have found great success with just placing a regular casting call on MM and giving details of the shoot, date, time, length of shoot, how images will be used, where shoot will take place, paid (how much) or TF, how many images a model can expect (if any) ect.
Include how the ideal model should look, measurements, height, weight ect and it will save a little time on everyone's part.
Even with all this you will find a great model, set things up and then they may stop communication or be a no show. Nature of this kind of Internet modeling but only happens once in a while - most models are very good but a few bad apples that you have to weed out.
If you want to increase your chances of a model showing and giving what you want hire from a agency

Oct 13 12 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

I'm not a model, but posting what you sent in your request might help us to help you refine your casting call if you are seeking help with it.

Also, in looking at your port, the bio is a bit wordy which might turn some people away, and you do a lot of nudes which might turn some away that are not interested in that work, or are not interested in that kind of work without $$. 

One way to up the anty so to speak on your castings is definitely to offer payment and to expand the number of people that could fit the image that you are trying to shoot if you are shooting on a very particular day. Otherwise, flexibility might be the way to go if you have a specific model in mind that has agreed to shoot with you, but is booked/busy on a particular day. Sometimes people simply get busy, but if people don't reply, its not always the casting call, but yes, sometimes they might also not be interested. You don't know, and you won't know, but $$$ talks unless you are a world famous photog that has a rep that proceeds you. good luck

Oct 13 12 01:43 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Rob Walker wrote:
So I sent out some casting notices to some models I was interested in working with, and the responses were less then I had hoped for, the few models that replied ended up flaking on me, and some even tried to tell me to change the dates I was looking for. If the model read the notice but failed to reply, can I assume ( yea I know ) she wasn't interested in the shoot, working with me. Now as I choose to send out another casting should I include the models that didn't reply, or should I pass on them? What format of casting notices get's the most response from you models that shoot a lot?

~Rob
SharpShooter Images

You may want to take a closer look at the casting call you sent to these models.
(rhetorical)
What are you asking for?
What are you expecting?
What is the purpose of this shoot?
What will be done with the product of this shoot?
What are you demonstrating you can provide to the model?
What are you offering the model?

Many times rewording your casting will dramatically increase the response factor.
Many times increasing/enhancing your offer will increase your response.

See your casting through a model's eyes - and write it for a model's eyes.

Oct 13 12 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

kevjohn Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

MM is RIFE with non-responders. No harm in trying them again though. Who knows, maybe they didn't respond because they wouldn't be able to do the shoot due to some set of circumstances that may no longer exist. Still pretty rude, but almost understandable. Almost. The flakes on the other hand, no way.

Oct 13 12 02:25 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yay, another flake thread in the Model forum!

Oct 13 12 09:10 pm Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I often check my MM on my phone and the MSG REPLY can either work or it does not. And so have to wait till I get home and can forget that i have already read the msg and so the reply can be delayed.
Its always friendly to reply back even if not interested - and be polite with your response wink

Oct 13 12 09:45 pm Link

Model

ChaiNoir

I often check my MM on my phone and the MSG REPLY can either work or it does not. And so have to wait till I get home and can forget that i have already read the msg and so the reply can be delayed.
Its always friendly to reply back even if not interested - and be polite with your response wink

Oct 13 12 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Walker

Brighton, Colorado, US

P I X I E wrote:

Not a flake thread, asked for some assistance from some models as to maybe a better way to get replies from castings.

Oct 13 12 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

JoJo wrote:
You may want to take a closer look at the casting call you sent to these models.
(rhetorical)
What are you asking for?
What are you expecting?
What is the purpose of this shoot?
What will be done with the product of this shoot?
What are you demonstrating you can provide to the model?
What are you offering the model?

Many times rewording your casting will dramatically increase the response factor.
Many times increasing/enhancing your offer will increase your response.

See your casting through a model's eyes - and write it for a model's eyes.

+1

And get drunk, with friends, well get the friends drunk, and have them read your emails.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Oct 13 12 10:47 pm Link

Model

ChaiNoir

Rob Walker wrote:
Not a flake thread, asked for some assistance from some models as to maybe a better way to get replies from castings.

Say * When your free and have the chance to read through your emails , view my profile and familiarise yourself with my work .
Do have a look through my portfolio and
If you see anything that you are interested in and want to use as a template It would be great to collab!! All the best and look forward to hearing from you about future work *

smile

Oct 13 12 10:55 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Should you include the models who didn't respond the first time around: depends, do you want to?

There are a lot of reasons she may not have answered the first message, but regardless of all that, did it leave a bad taste in your mouth or do you accept that it's just buisness (you don't answer all your junk mail, the stuff you're not interested in, do you?)

If you're not upset about it, sure try again

If you're going to be cranky about it(not saying that you are, rather saying that IF you will be, itll spoil the shoot anyhow so why bother?) no don't include them again.

The best way to get a response is to ask a reasonable question, provide detail, and provide a reason to do the shoot.

By which I mean, don't contact someone who's 8bazillion times better than what you're currently able to produce with a vague offer to "build her portfolio". Of course she won't answer, except to maybe tell you to get a reality check. Which isnt your goal.

Be realistic in who you're sending messages to, really look through their portfolios and try to compare them to yours as objectively as you can
Be as detailed (but concise) as you can in your first communication
-who (her, obviously, anyone else?)
-what (themes, genres, styles, etc)
-when (date and how long you plan to shoot for)
-where
-why (compensation type and what you plan to do with the photos)
Offer something compelling, whether it's money or photos, make it a really good offer.

Oct 14 12 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

P I X I E wrote:

Not sure what the purpose of this post is?

Oct 14 12 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Rob Walker wrote:

~Rob
SharpShooter Images

I think you really just need to stick to posting a casting on here and just deal with those that find it. What it sounds like you are doing is cold calling models for a casting rather than them actively looking for castings.

If you are cold calling then yes the dates may be unsuitable for the model even if she/he is interested.

Oct 14 12 04:22 am Link

Model

ChaiNoir

And I always have internet connection issues and sometimes my emails dont send and I have to re - write.

Those of whom are keen will get back to you smile

Oct 14 12 04:24 am Link