Forums > Photography Talk > two photographers book one model together

Photographer

Digital Reflectionz

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Hey,
I'm just getting started here and have already done a paid shoot with a model. I have quickly realized that many of the models here want to be paid to do a shoot. I am desperatly trying to build up my portfolio and realize that hiring all of these modelz is going to be expensive. I only have a budget of about $200 a month to spend hiring models.

my question is- have you ever heard of two photographers going in together paying the models fees and both shoot the model at the same I.e-
time/split the time 30 mins each. I think this would be an easier way to get more variation in a portfolio, build more contacts and save money.

Is this acceptable or just weird? it was just a thought I had and would love to hear from some of the experts/pros in the community.

thks
-DR

Oct 30 12 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

ms-photo

Portland, Oregon, US

Not weird at all, I do this a lot especially on longer outdoor shoots.  Doesn't hurt to have each other around as assistants while the other one is shooting too.

Oct 30 12 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

You-In-The-Lens

Grays, England, United Kingdom

When i first started out shooting models i went to a few group shoots at a studio and there would be one model and about five photographer and great way to meet people and see how they work and swap ideas.

Alan

Oct 30 12 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Drew T

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

like Daniele & Iango who are a photographer!  Not sure which one presses the button though...

http://fashiongonerogue.com/photographer/daniele-iango/

Oct 30 12 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Digital Reflectionz wrote:
Hey,
I'm just getting started here and have already done a paid shoot with a model. I have quickly realized that many of the models here want to be paid to do a shoot. I am desperatly trying to build up my portfolio and realize that hiring all of these modelz is going to be expensive. I only have a budget of about $200 a month to spend hiring models.

my question is- have you ever heard of two photographers going in together paying the models fees and both shoot the model at the same I.e-
time/split the time 30 mins each. I think this would be an easier way to get more variation in a portfolio, build more contacts and save money.

Is this acceptable or just weird? it was just a thought I had and would love to hear from some of the experts/pros in the community.

thks
-DR

why not do tf* shoots? what type of photography are you looking to do?

Oct 30 12 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

streetshooter wrote:
When i first started out shooting models i went to a few group shoots at a studio and there would be one model and about five photographer and great way to meet people and see how they work and swap ideas.

Alan

So true... but 5 to 1 is a very shitty ratio for a groupshoot with a pretty good possibility of a few pissed off photographers there.  Two or Three to one is a much more productive and friendly ratio... kind of like our Nov 11th 4 model and 10 photographer studio shoot... wink

Oct 30 12 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

have you ever heard of two photographers going in together paying the models fees and both shoot the model at the same I.e-

Not both at exactly the same time, but yes, as you suggest, in "shifts", so to speak.

I've done this a few times.  I get together with another photographer, we find a model, we go to some crazy location.  When we get there, I shoot for a bit while he assists.  We move to the next spot, then he shoots while I assist, we move to the next spot, rinse, repeat.

That way, we're not both getting the same shots (obviously they wouldn't be the same photographs, but the same model, with the same outfit, in the same exact location is a bit of a giveaway).

Paid or TF it makes no difference.  Even on TF shoots, it's handy to have an assistant. smile

Oct 30 12 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

I do it sometimes to save money. Typically we set something up and take turns shooting it...maybe have the model change/add a prop or make small lighting adjustment to vary the shots.

I have booked plenty of models and none have cared. Just let them know ahead of time. I would highly suggest taking turns shooting and not both firing away at the same time.

Oct 30 12 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

SoCo n Lime

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

if you are talking about MM specifically the majority may say they are looking for paid work on their profile, however it doesn't necessarily mean it will be expensive or the equivalent to agency rates that they are looking for.

you will find offering expenses or a nominal fee that your happy with will be sufficient for allot more options than you think you have at the minute.

if your portfolio is lacking or you dont feel experienced enough its more about matching your portfolio with the same level of model. so for instance if your just starting out then work with models that are also just starting out and you build up step by step progressing as you go.

Oct 30 12 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

SoCo n Lime

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

oh and after just viewing your port if its nudes your looking to do then yes it will be expensive.. not so if its clothed.. i think a model may not like a deal like that but then you never know till you ask

negotiation is half the battle

Oct 30 12 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

SPV Photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hey,

I assume the model you hired was Aviana in your port? She's a great model, but not all models will cost you money. I don't know what your level of experience is, but you can always start doing TF shoots with models that are looking for pics.

As to your original question, it's not strange at all to split the cost of hiring a model with another photographer.

Oct 30 12 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

shoot TF.

Oct 30 12 03:37 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I have modeled several times in situations where there were two photographers splitting the expense of hiring a model to do nudes, and it always worked out well.

Sometimes both shot from the same angle or whatever, but often they would be shooting from opposite directions. Both photographers had input in selecting the kinds of poses they wanted me to do.

Oct 30 12 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Hey,

thks
-DR

Not weird....on the surface it may seem to make sense to you.

One major caveat....be extremely picky about chosing the other photographer who may be a part of this. Some could turn into total assholes before your very eyes during a shoot.

Oct 30 12 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Bottom Feeder Images

Portland, Oregon, US

nope not weird at all, just make sure the model is ok with it, and as previously stated make sure the other photographer isnt a douche.

Oct 30 12 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

ybfoto wrote:
nope not weird at all, just make sure the llama is ok with it, and as previously stated make sure the other photographer isnt a douche.

Definitely make sure the llama knows upfront that there will be two photographers shooting/assisting. Some llamas charge more for 'group' shoots, and some may want to charge each photographer separately for llama releases if these are required.

SoCo n Lime wrote:
if its nudes your looking to do then yes it will be expensive.

Not if the llama is happy to trade, although this is possibly going to be less likely with two photographers shooting.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 30 12 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

a good idea but make sure the model is down with it. some charge more for group shoots. also check out meetup.com groups.

Oct 30 12 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Reflectionz

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Thanks everyone for all of the comments! Being new and all I kinda just expected that I would need to pay models to build my port up. I will take all of your suggestions.

I'm glad that it is acceptable to do a double shoot. I'm going to try and do one soon and I will let you know how it goes! Maybe I will learn something too!

My port is pretty much just of this one Model. I'm an artist as well and always draw nudes so it was something I was comfortable with. I'm planning on expanding so I will be doing clothed shoots too.

thks again for the input I really appreciate it.

Oct 30 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks everyone for all of the comments! Being new and all I kinda just expected that I would need to pay models to build my port up. I will take all of your suggestions.

I'm glad that it is acceptable to do a double shoot. I'm going to try and do one soon and I will let you know how it goes! Maybe I will learn something too!

My port is pretty much just of this one Model. I'm an artist as well and always draw nudes so it was something I was comfortable with. I'm planning on expanding so I will be doing clothed shoots too.

thks again for the input I really appreciate it.

There's nothing wrong with two photographers shooting the same model to save money.  However, be sure to discuss this with the model when booking the shoot as multiple photographers may not be acceptable.

Oct 30 12 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Y E N

Memphis, Tennessee, US

you should not have a hard time finding a TF model to shoot with in Memphis.  And yeah if you only want to shoot nudes, then u will have to cough up some money.  but you do need most of your pics on your site to be not nude.  Otherwise the models aren't as likely to shoot with you

Oct 30 12 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Shane Noir

Los Angeles, California, US

Yen Studios wrote:
you should not have a hard time finding a TF model to shoot with in Memphis.  And yeah if you only want to shoot nudes, then u will have to cough up some money.  but you do need most of your pics on your site to be not nude.  Otherwise the models aren't as likely to shoot with you

This is true.  Also, keep practicing (even shooting clothed models).  As your skills improve, you will find models asking you to shoot them.

Oct 30 12 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Brady

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Unless you're shooting predominately nude images, then just look for TF shoots.

Oct 30 12 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Low Ready Media

Douglasville, Georgia, US

I've found that meetups are a good way to start getting a few shots for your port, and also a good way to pick up a few tips. You won't get as much 1-on-1 time with the models, but it will be cheaper than hiring a model for half a day. You might get 3 different models to add to your port.

Oct 30 12 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Low Ready Media

Douglasville, Georgia, US

Oct 30 12 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Reflectionz

Memphis, Tennessee, US

@JM
it sounds like doing a meet up is what i need to do. good suggestion.

Oct 30 12 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Select llamas wrote:
So true... but 5 to 1 is a very shitty ratio for a groupshoot with a pretty good possibility of a few pissed off photographers there.  Two or Three to one is a much more productive and friendly ratio... kind of like our Nov 11th 4 llama and 10 photographer studio shoot... wink

Way back we got out of the mass group shoot. Now you buy time for 1:1 with the llamas. More expensive but more reasonable.
In your time you can allow 20 others, or none.

Oct 30 12 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

@JM
it sounds like doing a meet up is what i need to do. good suggestion.

I started here doing paid shoots then moved to TF but I started this year using meetups and my port has exploded with pictures. The downside is that another photographer might be shooting the same model but then they also have their own style. What I love is that I don't have to deal with flakes because its taken care of and also the MUA. There some well organized ones that might require $20 fee but its cheap comparing to what you would be paying a model. I just went to two and the pictures are all over my port.

Oct 30 12 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Way back we got out of the mass group shoot. Now you buy time for 1:1 with the models. More expensive but more reasonable.
In your time you can allow 20 others, or none.

On Nov 11th we're also doing one on one shoots after the groupshoot session (for 2 hours)... BUT... we're not allowing 20 other photographers... AND... we're keeping the photographer to model shoot ratio to less than 3 to 1... wink

Oct 30 12 11:54 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

as long as you inform the model ahead of time that you intend to split the shoot with another photographer, and give her their info so she may speak to them as well, no theres nothing wrong with that.

Oct 31 12 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Digital Reflectionz

Memphis, Tennessee, US

alright,

-so check with the model before hand and make sure she or he is ok with two photographers
-give the model the other photographers info
-ask about any extra fee for having a group shoot
-dont pick another photographer thats a douchebag
-try not to have a port with all nudes
-look for models that will do TF

sounds like we have a good list going...

thks for all the input!

Oct 31 12 09:46 am Link

Photographer

AYC Photo

Seattle, Washington, US

Not weird at all, just explain the terms before hand so there are no surprises.

Oct 31 12 09:49 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

It's called model sharing. (1)
You could ask at some other pro photographers or some local photography community for split the cost.

(1) The difference between a workshop is that on modelsharing there isn't someone to guide you.

Oct 31 12 09:54 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I've done "model sharing" a couple times. It's OK, but not my first choice. I did one in another guy's studio. Even though I had my own time, my work looked just like his...especially when he started "borrowing" my poses. I did one in my studio. My studio is just too small for it to be practical. Also learned that was just a ploy for the model to get her friend in a nicer studio...oh well...

I've been very luck to meet some people who do very photographer friendly group shoots. Quite often, there are 2-3 models per photographer. Not all are top notch models, but hey, it's camera time and the good models make it worth the trip. For some reason, I have a "rock star" reputation with that group. I don't get to shoot with them often, but when I do, the new models tel me how lucky they are to shoot with me. Kind of a fun ego-stroke for an amateur TF* shooter...

Oct 31 12 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

James Morgan aka Maddog

Burlison, Tennessee, US

I myself share models all the time.  When the Memphis Digital Photo group comes together.. we get models and we all take pictures at the same time.. Some of the models really love having all the attention.

Other times, like next month, I'm doing a couples shoot.  (nude).  I asked a female shutterbug who I know to share the shoot with me.  First, I know she'll do a great job (makeup and camera work), while I do better on Imagination and setting up shots.  Besides, I've done only a few nude shots and I feel that the model will be more at ease with another woman present.

If you and the other photographer have a great rapport and rythem.  Don't worry about sharing.. The model gets paid.. you both get your photos, and everyone should be happy.

It all comes down to comfort.. if you're comfortable with the model, and if you're comfortable with the other photographer.   I mean, I've been on lots of shoots with multiple models and only one photographer.. multiple photographers can share one model (if she doesn't object).

Nov 10 12 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Monge

New York, New York, US

I have never had to pay any females to shoot. Then again, I don't shoot naked girls!

Even if I did glam, I wouldn't be paying models - Especially when there's more money in Glam than fashion!

The only photographers that I have seen having to pay models more often than not are in the "artsy" nude genre!

Nov 10 12 03:27 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

alright,

-so check with the model before hand and make sure she or he is ok with two photographers
-give the model the other photographers info
-ask about any extra fee for having a group shoot
-dont pick another photographer thats a douchebag
-try not to have a port with all nudes
-look for models that will do TF

sounds like we have a good list going...

thks for all the input!

If you both require a release, let her know that as well and if possible, get her a copy of both, if his varies from yours in any way. If youre just shooting for portfolio use but your buddy wants to sell the photos or something but that was never communicated to her, there may be an issue.

Basically just be aware that youre coordinating not one shoot, but TWO, so everything you would normally take care of prior to one shoot needs to be done for both you and your partner.

Nov 10 12 03:37 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ivan Monge wrote:
I have never had to pay any females to shoot. Then again, I don't shoot naked girls!

Even if I did glam, I wouldn't be paying models - Especially when there's more money in Glam than fashion!

The only photographers that I have seen having to pay models more often than not are in the "artsy" nude genre!

How does your "Im better than you because I never need to pay anyone" chest beating answer any of the OPs questions?

Congratulations.

Nov 10 12 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
as long as you inform the model ahead of time that you intend to split the shoot with another photographer, and give her their info so she may speak to them as well, no there's nothing wrong with that.

Agreed nothing worse then some photographer telling model that there are TWO guys at the shoot and she has no clue who the 2nd guy is. So meet up with your new shooting buddy ahead of time and make sure that you both agree before you both try and hire models together.

Nov 10 12 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

A quick suggestion:  If I were a model, I would be so much happier to work with you if you credited your models.  After all, we are trying to network here.

Nov 10 12 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Monge

New York, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

How does your "Im better than you because I never need to pay anyone" chest beating answer any of the OPs questions?

Congratulations.

What I was trying to imply was that if I didn't have to pay models when I started I don't believe he should either as I don't consider myself any better than him.

But congrats on twisting my words around.

I can see why you wouldn't want to see this kind of reply as you are a nude model and might depend on this as a source of income!

Nov 10 12 04:13 pm Link