Forums > Critique > 19 yrs & fairly new to mm! appreciates critique.

Model

megan rose

Birmingham, Alabama, US

hi viewers, and members!

i am obviously new to mm,
i have done 1 professional
shoot, and it went as great
as i could've imagined.
iv'e posted those images,
and would like some
direction, critiques, or
whatever you might feel
would help get me a little
further.

also, some networking advise
would greatly be appreciated.

tell me what you guys think???

thanks! big_smile

Nov 09 12 09:18 am Link

Photographer

LittleWhiteRabbit Photo

Columbus, Ohio, US

I really like the shot in your avatar (boudoir #2) - it shows off your figure in a tasteful way and you are connecting w/the camera and showing some personality.

I would try to replace the other images as I get better shots.  In these the lighting could be better and your focus is more distracted. It's the eye contact and/or energy + the quality of the image that makes it stand out...

Nov 09 12 11:03 am Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

Fill out your stats completely and accurately. Rewrite your profile using proper punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure. Look for photographers in your area that are willing to do trade work (TF) to expand your port. As you have better pictures taken, replace the ones that are less attractive. 
   Of the two shots in your port that (IMO) were worthy of a closer look (#1 & #2), the first one was not cropped properly. You are missing a hand and some toes. (your eyes are beautiful tho wink In the second shot, the watermark across your face does not look professional. It looks more like an advertisement.
   You are attractive and I definitely see potential, but until your profile and port are updated properly, I don't see you being  swamped with legitimate modeling offers. There are plenty of 'wannabe' photographers that don't really care about professional looking profiles. Those are the ones to look out for. Keep this in mind when replying to offers.
   Stay safe, have fun and I hope your ModelMayhem experience is a good one.

Nov 09 12 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

LittleWhiteRabbit Photo wrote:
I really like the shot in your avatar (boudoir #2) - it shows off your figure in a tasteful way and you are connecting w/the camera and showing some personality.

I would try to replace the other images as I get better shots.  In these the lighting could be better and your focus is more distracted. It's the eye contact and/or energy + the quality of the image that makes it stand out...

Yep.

Unfortunately, her best image (#2) has a terribly-placed watermark right across her face and body. That photographer should give the OP a new copy of this image with the watermark less obtrusive.

The first boudoir image is strangely lighted.

The rest of the images are just bad and need to be replaced asap.

Nov 09 12 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

You obviously need more and better shots. work with more photographers of differing styles and varieties. Learn from every shoot and everyone you work with. Most of all have fun and enjoy it here!

Nov 10 12 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

[[Models Bio as written]]

i'm 19 and have some experience. im available in the alabama/georgia/florida area. i'm constantly looking to add new and different styles to my port, while adding different looks and styles to others. i appreciate all advice and criticism. anything that will help me in this business, i welcome. thanks for your time, and hopefully consideration. smile

p.s.
this is my writing style.
i am very aware of most
grammatical rules. i was informed
that i am diverting consideration
from myself, because of the style
in which my bio is written. so if
that is the case, that is simply
my style of writing, i am not
a stupid girl. im actually very
sweet, and easy to work. smile

{{{ If you come across as defensive on how you write your Bio, one wonders about how easy you are to work with, regardless on how easy or sweet you say you are.
At 5‘ 3“ you are height limited, your photos should be stronger, you seem to have an attitude. By not filling in your measurements it is as if you are trying to hide something, [Waist, Hips] so even if someone got past the negatives it would be impossible to see if you would fit a specific project. You are starting off with several strikes against you. The goal should be to look as professional as possible, even if it rubs you the wrong way }}}

The way to look at it is this is your advertisement to the world, the better you come across the greater the chance to be hired

Good luck in your endeavors

Nov 11 12 05:35 am Link

Model

Kayla-Marie Albert

Augusta, Maine, US

I would take off the images your took yourself, and wait until you have another shoot to post others smile

Nov 11 12 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Kayla-Marie Albert wrote:
I would take off the images your took yourself, and wait until you have another shoot to post others smile

+1

Certainly no "duck lips."

Nov 11 12 12:10 pm Link

Model

Kayla-Marie Albert

Augusta, Maine, US

Mark Salo wrote:

+1

Certainly no "duck lips."

Thank you! lol, worst facial pose ever.

Nov 11 12 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

I would have to agree with everyone that has suggested you remove the self taken shots.
Better a portfolio with 3 professional images, than a port filled with selfies.

Also,
unfortunately your writing style is very off putting and you have a very good chance of being over-looked because of it. With all due respect, it makes you look uneducated. You shouldn't have to explain that you aren't stupid in your portfolio. Some people really can't stand poor grammar, whereas I have never met a person who missed out on paid jobs because they used correct punctuation.

Nov 13 12 09:34 pm Link

Retoucher

C Benjamin Design

San Diego, California, US

The fact that you have a long explanation trying to prove you are not uneducated, instead of just capitalizing your bio gives off a bad impression on my end.  If I was looking for a model and saw that post, I would honestly write you off as being both uneducated and full of yourself.  If you don't want to look professional, that is completely fine, but doing that AND pointing it out, it's off putting to say the least.

Nov 13 12 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

You're as cute as a button

smile

Nov 13 12 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
{{{ If you come across as defensive on how you write your Bio, one wonders about how easy you are to work with, regardless on how easy or sweet you say you are.

This, big time. It may as well say "fuck u". It's intentionally obstinate behavior, far from professional.

Also, I'd ask that photographer if it's possible to get copies without the giant watermark directly across your face... and i understand some basic photos if you're starting and need something to showcase yourself for testing projects, but substitute those dark pictures for brighter photos- even if it's bathroom lighting. And no duckface. Ever. :-)

Edit: your self-shots also seem to be the victim of some sort of instagram-style shenanigans. I wouldn't recommend that in the future, unless you want to blend in with every other female on facebook.

Nov 13 12 10:29 pm Link