Forums > Photography Talk > aps-c as light meter for 35mm

Photographer

Ryan South

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Hi Folks,
  Will the exposures be the same for an aps-c sensor as 35mm film if all of the settings are the same(including compensation for 1.5x magnification)?  Thanks,
E

Nov 14 12 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

crop doesn't affect exposure.

ISO100 --- f/8 --- 1/100 is the same regardless of format. (slight shift with different films, sensors, etc) but exposure is a standard. not going to change.

Nov 14 12 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan South

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

-JAY- wrote:
crop doesn't affect exposure.

ISO100 --- f/8 --- 1/100 is the same regardless of format. (slight shift with different films, sensors, etc) but exposure is a standard. not going to change.

Thanks!

Nov 14 12 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

It’s been discussed extensively elsewhere that unfortunately DSLR manufacturers do not adhere to an ISO standard as much as one might think (despite the fact that it’s called a standard). In other words, ISO100 sensitivity in Brand X is not necessarily the same (and thus not the same exposure) as in Brand Y bodies, and not necessarily the same as ISO100 film.

If you want to use a DSLR as a meter for your film shooting, you’ll need to figure out the difference between what your digital body shows and what your film body captures, and factor that offset into your film exposure. What a nuisance. I really wish that it wasn’t so, because now that Fuji FP100 instant film is no more, I’d like to be able to buy a DSLR to proof my lighting. Oh well.

Nov 14 12 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Gabby57

Ponca City, Oklahoma, US

So, your 35mm doesn't have a meter? Or are you talking about using the digital captures to measure flash exposure?

Nov 14 12 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

I've used a 5d2 to check exposure before shooting the same scene with an EOS100. Exposure was spot on with what I expected.

Nov 14 12 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

Yes it is the same. Same concept as a handheld reflective lightmeter.

Nov 14 12 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Take both cameras, get the settings from the DSLR, write them on a 3x5 card, put the card in the scene, shoot it with both cameras, repeat with a darker scene and a lighter scene. Get the film developed and printed, print the digitals and compare the shots. This will tell you how close the DSLR's metering is to your film cameras settings. Use manual settings in the DSLR for ISO, matching the film ISO.

Nov 14 12 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

ELiffmann wrote:
Hi Folks,
  Will the exposures be the same for an aps-c sensor as 35mm film if all of the settings are the same(including compensation for 1.5x magnification)?  Thanks,
E

There is no 1.5x magnification and no exposure compensation required. Although the film maker and camera maker might disagree slightly on ISO settings.

Nov 15 12 01:21 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Unless either camera is faulty it should be pretty close.

Negative film is generally more forgiving of exposure anyway.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 15 12 04:34 am Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

DP

Nov 15 12 06:10 am Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I use spot metering from a DSLR as a meter for both MF and 4x5 film and it works.

Nov 15 12 06:14 am Link

Photographer

kitty_empire

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

ELiffmann wrote:
Hi Folks,
E

Yeah it should be. I've used my Rebel as a light meter for 35mm before.
Just remember to overexpose the 35mm by at least 1/2 stop for safety (assuming you're shooting negatives)

Nov 15 12 03:44 pm Link