Model

immateria

Brooklyn, New York, US

We don't pay for or control our heat. Our building is heated by steam radiators, and it gets crazy hot in the apartment, unless we keep a window cracked open all winter long.

Nov 27 12 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

immateria wrote:
We don't pay for or control our heat. Our building is heated by steam radiators, and it gets crazy hot in the apartment, unless we keep a window cracked open all winter long.

I used to live in one of those places.
You could hear the radiator click on and off throughout the day.
And my single paned windows would have pretty ice artwork from the humidity when it was freezing outside.
If you think about it, it's such a huge waste of energy on the landlord's part.

Nov 27 12 09:13 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

Sophia Be wrote:

Oh man, I don't miss heating oil.

When I was little, we had heating oil but could never afford the minimum oil purchase to get the truck out, so the house was always freezing. In the winter I could see my breath. My dad would sometimes go buy a little bit of diesel fuel just to take the bite off.

Then I had it again when I lived in North. So damn expensive.

TELL me about it!!!!!

heating oil has cost me in every way from trying to get my house upgraded so I don't have to use it!!!!  The fireplace needs to be rebuild so I can put in a super efficient wood stove. The only thing stopping me is the damn cost of oil. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Nov 27 12 11:27 am Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

sdgillis wrote:

TELL me about it!!!!!

heating oil has cost me in every way from trying to get my house upgraded so I don't have to use it!!!!  The fireplace needs to be rebuild so I can put in a super efficient wood stove. The only thing stopping me is the damn cost of oil. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Decommissioning can be a nightmare!

Wood stoves, that's where it's at!

Nov 27 12 05:28 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

So I broke down today and pulled the space heater outta the closet. Mostly because even my pug Lucy (who is *always* hot and can only stand to be under the covers for short periods, if at all) was staying under the covers. And damn it, the stupid thing doesn't even work anymore!

Guess I better go buy a new space heater.

Any recommendations? Obviously looking for something energy efficient.

Nov 27 12 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Sophia Be wrote:

I bet it's much colder where you are for sure.

It hasn't quite hit freezing yet (I don't think). It was 35 when I left my house this morning. I'm on a mountain though, so it's much colder up here then it is in Portland propper

we are around 20's now with some white shit ahead

but I think we are around 120$/month for power
everything is electric here

Nov 27 12 06:28 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

scrymettet wrote:
we are around 20's now with some white shit ahead

but I think we are around 120$/month for power
everything is electric here

Burrrr! That's not bad, though, I imaging your house is well insulated and you have energy efficient heaters.

I *just* moved to this place. After I moved in, I noticed the hot water heater is outside in a storage shed, and *not* insulated. Once the temp dropped,  we started running out of hot water very quickly (and it's a big heater).

I'm not prone to using (non wood) heat anyway, but right now, I'm trying to see if the hot water heater is gonna be a problem. I always like to suss a new place out, since each pace is different, but in this place I'm worried I'm gonna have a crazy high bill, even without using the heat.

Nov 27 12 06:35 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Sophia Be wrote:
So I broke down today and pulled the space heater outta the closet. Mostly because even my pug Lucy (who is *always* hot and can only stand to be under the covers for short periods, if at all) was staying under the covers. And damn it, the stupid thing doesn't even work anymore!

The one we have was like $40, and heats our entire apartment. I managed to keep our electric bill under $100 all last winter.

This one. It doesn't get hot to the touch, either, so no worries about someone burning themselves on it, or setting the house on fire.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Electri … 5/17038559

Nov 27 12 06:58 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:
The one we have was like $40, and heats our entire apartment. I managed to keep our electric bill under $100 all last winter.

What kind is it?

Weirdly, our last place stayed pretty warm without heating it, even though it was over 100 years old and not well insulated, but this place is hard to warm up

EDIT, nvr mind, I see the link you added. Thanks smile

It's really cute too!

Nov 27 12 06:59 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Sophia Be wrote:

What kind is it?

Weirdly, our last place stayed pretty warm without heating it, even though it was over 100 years old and not well insulated, but this place is hard to warm up

EDIT, nvr mind, I see the link you added. Thanks smile

It's really cute too!

Yeah, I liked that it looked nice as well. Our place is really well insulated, which is mostly why I haven't really had to turn the heat on yet.

Nov 27 12 07:04 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

Yeah, I liked that it looked nice as well. Our place is really well insulated, which is mostly why I haven't really had to turn the heat on yet.

I think part of the problem is the glass door and that I'm on a mountain. I should cover it, but the view is so pretty. I think I'll do that tonight though, might help.

What's the weather been like up there? Any snow yet?

Nov 27 12 07:08 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Sophia Be wrote:

I think part of the problem is the glass door and that I'm on a mountain. I should cover it, but the view is so pretty. I think I'll do that tonight though, might help.

What's the weather been like up there? Any snow yet?

Pfft. No. A couple frosts, but that's it. It's chilly, but too dry for snow.

You could try and find a really clear plastic to put over it. Unless you're actually opening it.

Nov 27 12 07:18 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

Pfft. No. A couple frosts, but that's it. It's chilly, but too dry for snow.

You could try and find a really clear plastic to put over it. Unless you're actually opening it.

We do every day. After almost two years unable to BBQ, we've been firing it up quite a lot. Plus we keep our firewood in the storage shed on the porch. I can throw a blanket over the door and still get out easily, but if I wanna see out, the cold air will just rush in, ha ha.

How's the job going? Feels like I haven't seen you in forever

Nov 27 12 07:31 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Sophia Be wrote:

We do every day. After almost two years unable to BBQ, we've been firing it up quite a lot. Plus we keep our firewood in the storage shed on the porch. I can throw a blanket over the door and still get out easily, but if I wanna see out, the cold air will just rush in, ha ha.

How's the job going? Feels like I haven't seen you in forever

Hmm, maybe like a thin tapestry, like we have over our front window? Still lets light in, but should block most everything out.

It's great, I love my job. I should be getting promoted in mid January, I'll be having a big party if you guys want to come up. I've been wanting to come visit, but I haven't really had much free time.

Nov 27 12 07:36 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

Hmm, maybe like a thin tapestry, like we have over our front window? Still lets light in, but should block most everything out.

It's great, I love my job. I should be getting promoted in mid January, I'll be having a big party if you guys want to come up. I've been wanting to come visit, but I haven't really had much free time.

I bet! Let me know when you do, if I can swing it, I will smile

Nov 27 12 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Sophia Be wrote:

I have a delonghi.  I think I bought it for like 20 or 30 bucks.  It's shaped like the old style steam radiator.  best thing I ever bought

The power setting goes from 1 -6 times 2.

I don't think I've ever turned up higher than 4 x 2.  Usually it's around 2-3 x 2

Nov 27 12 08:19 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Our landlord replaced the windows and balcony door in the summer, and it's making a HUGE difference. The old windows were letting cold air inside like crazy, and now, we don't even have to use the portable oil heater, it's awesome. And you know how cold it gets here! It's just below freezing point right now.

Proper insulation is key, IMO.

Nov 27 12 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

It's 27 degrees outside - and my feet are cold inside

The heat goes on. smile

Normally - I can keep the place in the mid to low 60's and be happy inside.

Nov 27 12 08:51 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

Damon Banner wrote:

I have a delonghi.  I think I bought it for like 20 or 30 bucks.  It's shaped like the old style steam radiator.  best thing I ever bought

The power setting goes from 1 -6 times 2.

I don't think I've ever turned up higher than 4 x 2.  Usually it's around 2-3 x 2

You know, I think I have one of those in my storage unit smile

Nov 28 12 01:00 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

P I X I E wrote:
Our landlord replaced the windows and balcony door in the summer, and it's making a HUGE difference. The old windows were letting cold air inside like crazy, and now, we don't even have to use the portable oil heater, it's awesome. And you know how cold it gets here! It's just below freezing point right now.

Proper insulation is key, IMO.

Ahh, there is that, the windows in this place are the old metal kind. I betcha that's the problem

My last place while old, did have mostly updated windows, with the exception of one 105 yo decorative glass window in the living room.

Nov 28 12 01:02 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

Vintagevista wrote:
It's 27 degrees outside - and my feet are cold inside

The heat goes on. smile

Normally - I can keep the place in the mid to low 60's and be happy inside.

I can wear socks, but my hands are freezing and I can't really wear gloves around the house.

I'm definitely stopping by my storage unit today and getting the oil heater out.

I've been warming the place up at night via the fireplace, but once the fire goes out, it's instantly cold again.

Nov 28 12 01:04 pm Link

Model

Solacium

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I keep checking back hoping to see a 'I am finally toasty' post.

Will be back tomorrow. Hope you get the space heater!!!

Nov 28 12 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

If you won't turn on the baseboards, turn the oil heater on. 

And bask.

Nov 28 12 01:29 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sophia Be wrote:

Ahh, there is that, the windows in this place are the old metal kind. I betcha that's the problem

My last place while old, did have mostly updated windows, with the exception of one 105 yo decorative glass window in the living room.

That very well might be the problem. The building I live in was built in the late 50s, so not as old as yours, but still. These new windows are pretty amazing! Last winter we always had the portable oil heater on during cold days. The balcony door would let a lot of really cold air inside, and this door leads to the bedroom. The caretaker did put some sort of silicone stuff on it to try and sceal it off but that didn't do much.

Nov 28 12 03:38 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

P I X I E wrote:

That very well might be the problem. The building I live in was built in the late 50s, so not as old as yours, but still. These new windows are pretty amazing! Last winter we always had the portable oil heater on during cold days. The balcony door would let a lot of really cold air inside, and this door leads to the bedroom. The caretaker did put some sort of silicone stuff on it to try and sceal it off but that didn't do much.

My last place was 105 yo, this place was build in the 70s, but the last place had way better windows.

I found the oil heater and just plugged it in and hung a blanket over the glass door, so maybe tomorrow will be warmer tongue

Nov 28 12 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Sophia Be wrote:

Burrrr! That's not bad, though, I imaging your house is well insulated and you have energy efficient heaters.

I *just* moved to this place. After I moved in, I noticed the hot water heater is outside in a storage shed, and *not* insulated. Once the temp dropped,  we started running out of hot water very quickly (and it's a big heater).

I'm not prone to using (non wood) heat anyway, but right now, I'm trying to see if the hot water heater is gonna be a problem. I always like to suss a new place out, since each pace is different, but in this place I'm worried I'm gonna have a crazy high bill, even without using the heat.

yes on both accounts.
heat pump, floor heating in the sun room.
Propane heating for emergency in the basement

Nov 28 12 06:25 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

scrymettet wrote:

yes on both accounts.
heat pump, floor heating in the sun room.
Propane heating for emergency in the basement

Heat pumps are awesome. Never had a heated floor, but I bet that's heaven

Nov 28 12 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Sophia Be wrote:
Heat pumps are awesome. Never had a heated floor, but I bet that's heaven

yes smile
We plan to have it installed in the main bath room soon

Nov 29 12 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Two Pears Studio wrote:
The thermometer in the kitchen hit 49 when I turned on. It is set for 62. We have gas heat and it gets expensive during the winter.

I have gas heat.  My gas and electric bills went down significantly when I replaced the furnace and air conditioner earlier this year.  The new ones are much more efficient.  I keep the temperature at 72 degrees.

Nov 29 12 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Solacium wrote:
Under 50?!

And I was worried about my dad keeping his thermostat at 59.

You must be shaking with cold! Is it really worth it? Personally I'm a ball of utter misery when cold.

When I was in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago I turned the heat on in the hotel room at night.  The night temperature was in the mid 50s.

Nov 29 12 11:40 pm Link