Forums > Photography Talk > Editing raw vs editing jpg

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
Who the fuck is Ken Rockwell?

just saying.

He's an online comedian. (Think of the Colbert Report, for photography.)

Dec 01 12 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Neil Peters Fotografie

Tucson, Arizona, US

when all the finest photographers of the day
were talking about films, enlarging lenses, papers, development times and tempertures, hasselblad vs bronica vs leica, vs fuji

little sweet no body Diana Arbus
chose a different road......

Dec 01 12 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

I thought he was "Grandpa".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Lewis_%28actor%29

Dec 01 12 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Paul AI

Shawnee, Oklahoma, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

Good description.

Dec 01 12 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

Who the fuck is Ken Rockwell?

just saying.

Who the fuck is Mark L... shit, I'm not going to spell that out.

just sayin'.

Dec 01 12 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I think your process is fine. I have edited jpegs and now that I am pretty good with Lightroom I found that I could pretty much get good results with JPEGs a lot of the time. I use raw the following way: it is processed through View NX, where when opened both the raw files and Jpegs look the same.  It looks different in other software if opened without processing in View NX because NEF is a proprietary code, whereas JPEG is a universal code.  As of yet despite Photoshops attempts there is not really a universal raw code that can make a yeild of all the raw data. 

I've started even doing white balance in the raw file in View NX. Sometimes I may decide to just rush out the JPEGS and put them up for the llama to see.

On Raw I may adjust colour in View NX, and play with their D-Active Lighting, and so on.  I can sharpen the image quite considerably if I so desire.  I then save the worked on raw files in Tiff.  I open the Tiff files in Lightroom and go from there.

What size are raw files in the proprietary software? Sometimes they are 15.7 and often 19.1 or 2 but sometimes from the same camera I have observed 30 megs (I think that depends on the lens I'm using) and in the last shoot: 32megs was the hightest and the lowest 15.1.  When brought into Lightroom as Tiff, the file is sometimes 92 megs. When I crop down the image in  View NX sometimes it is 42 or so. Sometimes 34mgs in Tiff conversion.

I just checked a studio shoot to make sure and the files when converted to Tiff in View NX were 92megs. My sensor is 16 something megabytes but again, the size files can be as big as 32megs and it is not usual for them to be 25.1.

This gives you a sense of how much data is lost when opened in the non-Nikon Software.

Sometimes when correcting a shadow problem I may just open the image straight in lightroom.

I have found very good results with 8 x 11.5s in printing. And in my book is a print run off a 1.2 meg that looks fabulous.

I do believe in shooting in raw and there are some shots that are the better for it. I shoot raw plus basic, which I got from a forum on flickr where a photographer explained why he did it and it made sense. He uses basic when the image comes out perfectly.  He uses raw when the image needs work.

I like lots of details which is why I use fixed lens even in a studio. I am used to rolling this way and it seems to work.

Dec 01 12 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

GNapp Studios

Somerville, New Jersey, US

Yes there is an advantage to editing raw.

If you are going to do a lot of editing to the shot, editing in raw (16 bit) will give you less banding than editing in jpg (8 bit).

Dec 01 12 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Extrosy wrote:
Assuming that the shot has the proper white balance and is properly exposed and no detail has been lost or clipped, is there any advantage to editing raw?

Presently I shoot Raw + Jpeg, and primarily edit the jpeg files for convenience.  I have the raw available in case there is a problem that cannot be corrected with the jpeg / camera setting.

So I work with jpegs and have the raws as a safety net. 
Any reason to do otherwise?

Assuming the shot looks exactly the way you want it to look as a JPEG there is absolutely no advantage to editing the raw image file, if you're going to make it end up looking like the JPEG. The benefits of working on raw image files as compared to JPEGs (including the non-destructive aspects) are huge, but for most people, those types of advantages are unimportant. If it looks good on print or on a computer screen, then they're happy.

Camera & computer hardware manufacturers are always making fantastic technological advances. Storage media has gotten so cheap and reliable, that space is not a limitation. Photo-retouching software and artists come up with new ideas everyday. MOST OF ALL, your skills as a photographer will always improve as long as you keep learning new things, and don't get stuck in the rut of "I've been doing this for 20 years, Darnit! I'll be darned if I change my ways!"

Should your photography eventually involve very sophisticated retouching techniques, you will eventually want to try out pixel level retouching, and find out that no matter how well you plan your sessions, you will always find flaws in your lighting.

Keeping the raw image files "as a safety net", is a wise choice. You may not be able to go back in time and shoot those images, but having the most complete version of the image available is definitely a smart move.

Dec 01 12 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Morristown, Vermont, US

UltimateAppeal wrote:
Every time you save a JPEG, it adds artifacts to the image (compression artifacts) that deteriorate the quality of the image. If you aren't planning on printing full resolution/size your probably wont notice with 1 or 2 saves. If you ever need to print a full size image, or worse, enlarge the image beyond its original size, you will wish you had edited the RAW and saved that.

I have made 2'x3' prints from images created and edited as jpgs that were shot with a Canon30D. The same loud mouths that screamed about digital producing better quality images than film couldn't tell that my large prints were shot and edited the way they were, any more than they could tell the difference between my images that were digital or film in origin. People talk up this crap, but I'm confident most can't identify any examples/comparisons to back up their claims.

Dec 01 12 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:

Who the fuck is Mark L... shit, I'm not going to spell that out.

just sayin'.

Mark Laubenheimer shoots RAW. that's who i am.

Dec 01 12 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Do you want to edit the image you said you wanted.

or

Do you want to edit the image the camera says you want?

Dec 01 12 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

bmiSTUDIO wrote:

I have made 2'x3' prints from images created and edited as jpgs that were shot with a Canon30D. The same loud mouths that screamed about digital producing better quality images than film couldn't tell that my large prints were shot and edited the way they were, any more than they could tell the difference between my images that were digital or film in origin. People talk up this crap, but I'm confident most can't identify any examples/comparisons to back up their claims.

Printing a 24"x36" shouldn't be a problem with JPEGs, as long as you've done a good job maintaining the shadow areas.

Dec 01 12 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Buying a fancy-pants DSLR and shooting only in jpeg is like driving a Veryon on a go-cart track.

Dec 01 12 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

John Allan wrote:
If you're going to use jpegs (I might use jpeg for vacation snapshots, wouldn't consider it for my professional work),
At least immediately save the jpeg to tiff and work on that as your 'negative' and then only use jpeg again for your final output.

Hmmm... I haven't had the need to use the TIFF format in such a long time, I don't think I still have the software that would required I work in the CMYK color range.

Aside from not adding any value to an 8 bit file by converting it into 16 bits (the thousands of missing brightness levels are not magically added to original 8bit file in order to create the new 16 bit file), the TIFF format is ridiculously large (much larger than most raw image file sizes of the same resolution). Most graphic design software can handle all of the popular formats - You are NOT restricted by the software you use.

You may need to convert a 16bit RGB to a CMYK TIFF for some print shops, BUT even PNG (which is also lossless) s so popular that going the TIFF route is an unnecessary burden.

William Kious wrote:
Buying a fancy-pants DSLR and shooting only in jpeg is like driving a Veryon on a go-cart track.

I could never understand that logic either. Why get a such a sophisticated piece of equipment like a modern day Digital SLR, and shoot in JPEG??? Unless your computer needs are embarassing, handling raw image files will not affect your  workflow by much.

Dec 01 12 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

I shoot JPG if it's something I don't plan on revisiting after the first edit.

If it's for my personal projects and something that I will have for years to come for print and reworking reasons then I shoot in RAW. It's the closest thing you have to an original negative, the best form of total original information to work with.

Dec 01 12 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

shawn is boring

Long Beach, California, US

Extrosy wrote:
Assuming that the shot has the proper white balance and is properly exposed and no detail has been lost or clipped, is there any advantage to editing raw?

Presently I shoot Raw + Jpeg, and primarily edit the jpeg files for convenience.  I have the raw available in case there is a problem that cannot be corrected with the jpeg / camera setting.

Yes, in-camera sharpening is usually crap, and creates artifacts that need to be edited out that would not normally.

Also, many processes work better in 16 bit, simply for the increased color depth.

Dec 01 12 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

Editing RAW will allow you to recover from at least one more stop over than jpg.  So if you are shooting weddings, it would be silly to not keep the RAW around.  You simply can't reshoot a wedding.  And nobody I know gets every shot perfect at a wedding. It just doesn't happen.

For the rest, when you open a file in CS5 or 6 or whatever, you can directly edit jpg or tiff or first develop a RAW.  CS5 has no special settings.  If you are happy with your results, then you are happy.  More important, if your clients are happy, then you are happy.  Everyone likes to laugh about Ken Rockwell, but Ken Marcus shoots jpg all the time.
Harder to laugh at him.
A lot harder.

Ken Marcus shoots in a studio and effectively manages color balance and exposure on a continuing basis. You should look at one of his jpegs prepped for delivery with all the included information. Not many professionals are anywhere near as skilled and meticulous as Ken. If you are in that situation then jpeg is fine.

Shooting RAW + Jpeg is an excellent plan for most of us when we are shooting something important and expect only occasional operator error the RAW will mitigate. Wedding dresses play havoc with auto exposure. I would not consider shooting a wedding without RAW capture. I would expect to deliver only images manipulated a bit from the in camera jpegs. Memory is too cheap to risk important work to jpeg if you are not managing the capture process meticulously.

Dec 02 12 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

I used to shoot jpeg, then RAW+jpeg, and now just RAW. If I have to go back and edit an old shot that I shot in jpeg I feel handicapped. I REALLY regret not shooting RAW back when I started shooting digital heavily in 2004.

Dec 02 12 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
Put it this way:  People utilize RAW files for a reason.  And it's not because they have a shitton of disk space they're just trying to fill up. Try it, and you will see why most photographers claim working from RAW files is better. If you don't try it, you'll never understand what you're missing, and will never have to worry about it.

QFT

Dec 02 12 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

RAW JPEG offers the best of both worlds if you have plenty of flashcards and disk space. If that works for you, go for it.

I started out using JPEG exclusively. RAW images took too long to load on my ancient computer. Also, a lack of understanding, contributed to not using RAW.

When I had a very important shot, I'd switch to RAW JPEG for insurance. I figured some year and some learning, I'd be able to work those images.

Now, I shoot mostly in RAW only. I will switch to RAW JPEGs if I am to deliver images on the spot. Not many llamas know how to process RAW images. And sometimes I will shoot JPEG-only knowing the final images are more snapshots that anything else.

Each option has a purpose. Use it as you see fit. What another photographer does is what they see fitting their needs. Neither are wrong.

Dec 02 12 08:37 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

this is what i do and in some cases (especially studio where i shoot into a TV) i've just stopped shooting the RAWs altogether.

i like the skin tones i get from JPEG better than what i can get from RAW with my 5D MK II. and my workflow is much faster.

RAW has saved me some times at weddings where the bride suddenly goes from bright light to dark (or vice-versa) and i was on manual mode and didn't react fast enough. but even RAW can't completely fix pictures that are nuked.

Extrosy wrote:

Dec 02 12 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

Kevin Connery wrote:

But not as intentionally funny. smile

Dec 02 12 09:04 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Would you prefer to make prints from the original negative or from a copy of a previous print?

If you have LR then the amount of work you can do without even touching Photoshop or modifying the RAW file in any way (all adjustment are stored in the catalog and/or sidecar files) is phenomenal.

Storage is cheap - why limit your options so drastically by shooting JPG?

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Dec 02 12 09:10 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i use aperture on my JPEGs, same as RAWs. but of course you have more latitude with RAWs. but i've printed my 5D MK II JPEGs as 16x20 canvases and they look great (i don't think the average paying consumer would notice a problem).

and honestly the ones where i've really blown the JPEGs, switching to the RAW hasn't resulted in that great a result either.

one thing about my 5D MK II is that it has a highlight priority mode for JPEG which is really helpful (although it forces you to ISO 200 vs. 100).

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
If you have LR then the amount of work you can do without even touching Photoshop or modifying the RAW file in any way (all adjustment are stored in the catalog and/or sidecar files) is phenomenal.

Dec 02 12 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

twoharts wrote:
-snip-

i like the skin tones i get from JPEG better than what i can get from RAW with my 5D MK II.

-snip-

Let's stop and consider what your JPEG really is. It is a RAW file inside your camera. Certain filters are applied based on your camera settings for white balance and contrast (neutral, vivid, faithful. etc) controls. You should be able to reproduce each setting on your computer that you have in your camera.

Your skin tones in JPEG are simply various filters inside you camera that you could duplicate using the RAW image with settings on your computer application. The difference is time in getting the action recorded to mirror those in-camera features. It is not a matter of JPEG versus RAW.

JPEG is just a set of predetermined filters and a compression of the original RAW.

Dec 02 12 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

photo212grapher wrote:

Let's stop and consider what your JPEG really is. It is a RAW file inside your camera. Certain filters are applied based on your camera settings for white balance and contrast (neutral, vivid, faithful. etc) controls. You should be able to reproduce each setting on your computer that you have in your camera.

Your skin tones in JPEG are simply various filters inside you camera that you could duplicate using the RAW image with settings on your computer application. The difference is time in getting the action recorded to mirror those in-camera features. It is not a matter of JPEG versus RAW.

JPEG is just a set of predetermined filters and a compression of the original RAW.

and a lossy compression at that!

if you were a musician, would you go into the recording studio and record your album straight to mp3?

i think not.

so why record your photographs straight to JPEG?

Dec 02 12 10:01 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

only true if you use the raw converter from the camera manufacturer (or a converter where they have licensed the algorithms). otherwise it's a crap shoot and each converter does it differently.

for my part i don't want to use canon's DPP. i use aperture. and it can't get me canon skin tones with RAW (i prefer a little pink rather than a little yellow for the most part).

i advise newbies to get the jpeg settings in-camera the way they want them (i use faithful as the starting point) and then shoot raw+jpeg and see for themselves. each camera is different and each person is different. do what works best for you. for my part i love having jpegs that are basically ready to go (maybe just a little fiddling in Aperture) straight from the camera. and even if you shoot RAW the retouching may have to be done in photoshop anyway.

photo212grapher wrote:
You should be able to reproduce each setting on your computer that you have in your camera.

Dec 02 12 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

twoharts wrote:
one thing about my 5D MK II is that it has a highlight priority mode for JPEG which is really helpful (although it forces you to ISO 200 vs. 100).

The Pentax K-5 has the same mode, and the same forced switch to 200 from 100 minimum ISO.  Not saying it's an equivalent camera, just that it shares that feature.

Dec 02 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Innovative Imagery wrote:

The only problem with this statement is that it ignores the the gaps in the data.  When you go from 4096 to 256 bits of data (RAW vs JPEG)  something has to give.

This is wrong. It's not 4096 BITS, it's 4096 shades/levels (which is 12 bits), versus 256 shades/levels (which is 8 bits). If you are going to use the terminology, use it correctly.

The last 12 bit camera I owned was in 2006. Every camera I have bought since has been 14 bits (or 16384 by your measurement).

- - - - -

I take a 14 bit RAW to a 16 bit PSD, and work on that. Rounding errors will accumulate in the low order bits during processing, but they will vanish when I truncate the values and make the 8 bit output file.

For some of my work, I select a narrow band of levels, and expand that to fill the available space. If I did it with JPEG, I'd see hideous banding, because I'd be working with 3 or 4 bits - might work if I wanted a posterised form, but I don't. Because I'm using RAW, however, I get 9 or 10 bits, which even leaves me with some slack before I take it down to 8 bits for JPEG.

JPEG is an output format (that's what it was designed for). Using it as input is inappropriate. Unless, of course, your skills are so good you can use the images straight-out-of-camera (Mr Marcus comes to mind smile ).

Consumer point-and-shoots record in JPEG because the user is expected to use the images without processing. If you bought a DSLR, so you could process the images after shooting, why restrict your options by throwing away almost half the data (14 bits -> 8 bits, NOT 16384 -> 256)?

Dec 02 12 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

Mark Laubenheimer shoots RAW. that's who i am.

Who are you?

Dec 02 12 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Who are you?

and?

Dec 02 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

I prefer to shoot RAW, but I also prefer to do a fair amount of post processing on my files.  There are a lot of good reasons to shoot JPG.  It really comes down to your preferred (or required) workflow and how much post work you do as well as what / where you're outputting the images to.  If you don't do a lot of retouching and you're not making big prints... most of your images are going to the web... shooting RAW may be overkill for you.  Adobe camera RAW works with JPG and you can do a lot of manipulation with a JPG file.  Having more information is definitely a plus if you're going to do extensive manipulation of the image, but the difference between what you can do with a RAW and JPG is not as big as many make it out to be.

Dec 02 12 01:57 pm Link

Retoucher

Zoltan Retoucher

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

My mentor shoot in jpg and edit in jpg and her never complained http://www.zarihsretouching.com/

I am also shooting and editing in jpg I don't see any problem ...

Dec 02 12 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

twoharts wrote:
i use aperture on my JPEGs, same as RAWs. but of course you have more latitude with RAWs.

You're missing the point.

Working from the RAW file is NOT the same as working from a lossily compressed 8-bit representation of it created in a split second by your camera's tiny processor.

While there might not be much visible difference in results if you simply apply the default conversions to the RAW file in LR (or DPP etc.), the flexibility of being able to manipulate the full 14 bits of RAW data really comes into play when you start to apply radical adjustments to the files.

For example, the image on the left is a straight export to JPG of a RAW conversion. I have then used LR to apply a fairly radical filter to both the original RAW file (middle) and the exported JPG (right).

https://www.swanstep.f2s.com/embedded/forums/LR_RAW_JPG_example.jpg        (original)                        (from RAW)                       (from JPG)

(higher res version here)

As you can see, although neither of the filtered results is very pretty, the one made from the RAW file is a lot more faithful to the original and contains a lot more detail and information than the one made from the JPG.

The same, of course, applies to any changes you make to a JPG. If you're happy using the JPG straight out of the camera then quality isn't very much different to making a JPG from the same RAW conversion on a computer. But if you like playing around with images [insert darkroom analogy here] then it's clearly much better to work from the RAW file.

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Dec 02 12 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Untitled Photographer

Dallas, Texas, US

I have nothing invested in what other people do but the results of my photography went up exponentially when I quit shooting jpg.  And lately I have been revisiting some of the work I did a year ago and reprocessing some of those photos because my processing skills are much better now.  The improvement is significant.  Had I shot jpg I would be very limited.

I realize some people make perfect photos that don't require anything in post, you folks have my respect. 

I heart RAW.

Dec 02 12 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:
JPEG is an output format (that's what it was designed for). Using it as input is inappropriate. Unless, of course, your skills are so good you can use the images straight-out-of-camera (Mr Marcus comes to mind smile ).

Consumer point-and-shoots record in JPEG because the user is expected to use the images without processing. If you bought a DSLR, so you could process the images after shooting, why restrict your options by throwing away almost half the data (14 bits -> 8 bits, NOT 16384 -> 256)?

That's a great point! JPEG was never intended as a starting point for editing.

Dec 02 12 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Provided the computer has the required codec installed for raw I can edit my images using the Windows file system. When it comes to the post-processing and retouching, then I need some other software and I'll normally be using raw. At events it is JPEG, wireless transmitter, basic software for the customer to edit ( select ) the image/s they want, crop and print.

If the situation demands, JPEG. If the situation is open, raw. Raw processors and individual skill levels are improving steadily. By keeping the raw files you are able to revisit files from some time earlier, getting more from the file.

Dec 03 12 12:39 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

William Kious wrote:

MnPhoto wrote:
I could never understand that logic either. Why get a such a sophisticated piece of equipment like a modern day Digital SLR, and shoot in JPEG??? Unless your computer needs are embarassing, handling raw image files will not affect your  workflow by much.

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
if you were a musician, would you go into the recording studio and record your album straight to mp3?
i think not. so why record your photographs straight to JPEG?

Reality check - how many of the images that you see in news media are taken with top end cameras and using JPEG ?

Most of them.

When you take events into account a significant proportion of print sales will be from images that were printed straight from JPEG out of the camera.

There are simple workflow and time reasons for this in addition to their being used to getting a saleable image at capture.

Dec 03 12 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

William Kious wrote:

MnPhoto wrote:

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
i think not. so why record your photographs straight to JPEG?

photoimager wrote:
Reality check - how many of the images that you see in news media are taken with top end cameras and using JPEG ?

Most of them.

When you take events into account a significant proportion of print sales will be from images that were printed straight from JPEG out of the camera.

There are simple workflow and time reasons for this in addition to their being used to getting a saleable image at capture.

Yeah, I did newspaper photography for years (with film).

For one thing, they tend to use cameras with high FPS rates. They get them for sports, but that's what they use for everything else. When you're shooting several frames per second, having to save both RAW and JPEG slows things down.

Also, newspaper reproduction isn't the greatest - although it's a lot better than it used to be.

Newspapers have never been big on retouching anyway - although all big newspapers used to have airbrush artists.

The emphasis is on speed - partly because of frequent deadlines throughout the cycle, but also because photographers tend to handle several assignments per day. One newspaper I worked on had a page deadline every four minutes starting about 6pm and contining (with breaks between editions) until after midnight.

Dec 03 12 01:12 am Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

Extrosy wrote:

The big mistake photographers keep making about RAW vs JPEG is about exposure. They only think about it as a safety net in case they are off on exposure. While this is somewhat true what they are missing is the big picture. The reason you get this saving grace is because of all the extra data that is being recorded.

With RAW you are getting greater tonality and details in highlights and shadows. It is like when you where a kid. There was the small box of crayons (JPEG) and the big box of crayons (RAW). The Big box of crayons have the same colors as the small ones but it also has a greater amount color tones as well as grey shades. The big advantage is you are working with greater detail in the tones.

If you have decent computer and a fairly recent version of Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture then working in RAW is actually faster than JPEG with these programs.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8240075961_86ee6326d0.jpg
crayon by FullMetalPhotographer, on Flickr

Dec 03 12 01:41 am Link