Forums > Photography Talk > If you thought cameras weren't so good 70 yrs ago

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

While the quality of the images were superb back then - where and when you could shoot was a different issue.

One Life cover, photo we studied in school, was shot at ISO (ASA) 10 of a little girl on the cover, it was lit with 25,000 watts of hot lights very close to her.  She was cooked slowly.

Today that would be child abuse.

Shooting a stage performance with action - would not have even happened.  Shooting sports at night -

Did you ever have to use a flash bulb - changing bulbs would often burn you.

Quality has not changed - where, what and when we can shoot has.

Dec 04 12 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

End of the Road Studio wrote:
Legacy 7 wrote: "I'm one of those that do go to galleries. We have a lot of them here. Plus, being an art major, majoring in photography, I had to frequent the galleries. Those were some fun times during my first two years.

I've been blessed to see some of the most well known photographers film prints as well as not so well known fine arts photographers, local foreign and from other States."

I was similarly blessed. Growing up in SE Wisconsin I spent a lot of time in the museums and galleries in Milwaukee and Chicago.  I curated a show of Edward Weston's work for the local museum. Adams, Weston, Stieglitz, Burnhard, the list goes on.

I agree that it is the person behind the camera but this is the same person presenting the work!

I remember all of those names during my art history liberal arts studies and history of photography class. smile I too have seen those name's work in the galleries here. It's funny, I still have 12 classes to go. Money. Things just stopped after that happen. Sucks because I'm so close to getting done, but time has gone by so damn fast. smile Anyways, I'd mentioned that because I'd stopped going to the galleries too. I need to jump back on this. My studies went beyond photography. I was blessed to see many well known painters, both old and contemporary painters. And many other art related artist.

Dec 04 12 06:48 pm Link