Forums > Photography Talk > Recommendation on portable continuous lighting?

Photographer

CreativeKvn

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Recently I shot with some continuous lighting and loved it. I understand they are not as powerful, so shooting outside I will continue to use my 580ex’s or strobe, but for indoor work, I would like to move to some continuous lighting.

Any recommendations? LED? Battery powered? Easy to make it soft light?

Dec 04 12 08:49 am Link

Photographer

liddellphoto

London, England, United Kingdom

Have a look at HMIs by Arri etc.

Dec 04 12 09:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

CreativeKvn wrote:
...continuous lighting... Easy to make it soft light?

Recently assisted on a corporate environmental portraiture shoot... the lens person was using ALZO PAN-L-LITE TWIN they totally rock!

Amazingly configurable... comes with a grid and a diffusion panel... variable power sliders... Integral barn doors... choice of daylight or 3200K...   Excellent build quality... approximately 400watts of tungsten equivalent light output with no heat!  cool to the touch...

includes a travel case... they are in the queue for purchase... gota have these...

yep, they are billed as a video lighting kit but totally rock for location portraiture...

Dec 04 12 09:34 am Link

Photographer

MN camera

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

There are numerous options depending on your budget and preferences, as well as your concept of portability.

My small light kit weighs about 85 pounds.

I own Arri, Mole, and Lowel instruments, Arri, Lowel, and Matthews stands, a bunch of grippage and all kinds of odds and ends (reflectors, black and normal foil, foamcore, gels and whatnot) and a lot of 25-50-foot power cords.  (You can never have too many of those.)

Dec 04 12 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

CreativeKvn wrote:
Recommendation on portable continuous lighting?

MN camera wrote:
There are numerous options depending on your budget and preferences, as well as your concept of portability.

My small light kit weighs about 85 pounds.

Define "portable".

A video light with a battery belt pack will run a 100 watt light for an hour or more. LED panel will extend the time to 5x but to get the equivalent output is tough at this time.

Arri and lights in the 300-1000 watt range will require a generator or a trailer full of batteries.

Dec 04 12 10:38 am Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

CreativeKvn wrote:
Recently I shot with some continuous lighting and loved it. I understand they are not as powerful, so shooting outside I will continue to use my 580ex’s or strobe, but for indoor work, I would like to move to some continuous lighting.

This what I use for video work.

Kino Flo Diva-Lite 201 Fixture (120VAC) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 … 20VAC.html or Kino Flo Diva-Lite 400 Universal Fluorescent Light Fixture (100-230VAC) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 … scent.html there is no flickering and you can change the tubes for daylight color temp or tungsten temp. They stay cool and you are not going to back the model.

The other set I have used is Litepanels MiniPlus 5600K Daylight Spot - 1 Lite Kit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 … _Spot.html
It is a nice portable battery light kit does not have the coverage of the Kino Flo.

One other thing is you can always rent these lights.

But for stills I use studio flash or Nikon CLS. Mainly for the obvious reason is they are easier and faster to work with than continuous lighting.

Dec 04 12 10:52 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

A reflector?  Sorry, I had to.

Dec 04 12 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Terry Scott Reed

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Consider this:
http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Pro-Video … B004JJIBC2

If you buy, order the Sony batteries and a charger. They last about an hour in continuous use and they are much more user froiendly than the six AAs you would otherwise use. Assuming a set of three lights, that's a lot of AA charging. At about $50 each, and being small and lightweight, it seems like a simpler approach, and they are much more portable, with no soft boxes to wrestle with...

Dec 04 12 11:23 am Link

Photographer

CreativeKvn

Thank you for all the feedback. I came across these...

Linco Flora 2000 Watt 2 Head Fluorescent Kit with Softboxes

Seems also like an option, although it isn't really that portable. The LED panels are also really interesting, but there seems to be a big difference in price for the 1x1 panels. Not sure if 2 x 500 LED panels would be bright enough for good head shots.

Ah, if I could only try them all smile

Dec 04 12 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

if you don't mind a bit of diy, you could get an hid headlight kit, mount it to a modified speed ring and power it with a gel cell battery.

Dec 04 12 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeKvn

Not too portable, not as much as a speedlite, but hey.. these look good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 … Video.html

Flolight FL-110AWD Fluorescent Video Light with Wireless Dimming (5400K Daylight)

for $349...

Dec 05 12 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Jim Lafferty

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm looking at the same thing. My research has me leaning to the Arrilite 750 Plus, which has a built-in Chimera speedring. Paired with a video softbox, I'm good  big_smile

Dec 05 12 10:46 am Link

Photographer

CreativeKvn

Jim Lafferty wrote:
I'm looking at the same thing. My research has me leaning to the Arrilite 750 Plus, which has a built-in Chimera speedring. Paired with a video softbox, I'm good  big_smile

For photography or video?

Dec 05 12 10:58 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Get a cheap generator for about a hundred bucks.

Dec 05 12 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Jim Lafferty

Brooklyn, New York, US

CreativeKvn wrote:

For photography or video?

Both, ultimately - but largely for photo. I've been shooting a lot of available light stuff lately at ISO1600+ so a near 1k source should do fine.

Dec 05 12 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

FBY1K

North Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ArtisticPhotography wrote:
Get a cheap generator for about a hundred bucks.

For tungsten that's likely okay. HMI or flouresceents w/o power factor correction could be problematic.

FBY1K

Dec 09 12 12:40 am Link

Photographer

FBY1K

North Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CreativeKvn wrote:

Flourescents or LED arrays are great for making soft light and will not drain your power source as fast as an HID or tungsten source. My TD-5s running 200 watts flourescent will last about two hours with my generic portable battery.

A small (20-70 watts) HID source might work too and there are options for tungsten or daylight. Most are best for creating hard directional light, but can be softened using various means.

You could also opt for photoflood sockets and reflectors and have a wide variety of E-26 base bulbs up to 500 watts. I'm planning to replace my Interfit Stellar lights with these because they're not very portable.

Hope this helps,
Starkey

Dec 09 12 01:01 am Link