Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why is everyone so catty on these forums?

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

Check out the thread "Modeling and Depression" that one has turned out to be surprisingly positive smile

Dec 06 12 06:25 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

The most annoying thing I've come across on MM forums are industry professionals (real or not) trying to "tell it like it is" to a group of hobbyists.  They're two different worlds; one isn't "better" than the other.  I just can't stand that sense of arrogance that sneers "you're not in MY class...." -- well, duh, and they're not even trying to be, so shove off.

I think it's done in vain, to flex muscles, try to gain respect.  I've noticed the real great pros don't behave like this (and there are a few here) because they're so far removed from all of that kind of drama or they're just too busy.  The best photographer I've ever worked with isn't even on MM.

Other than that, I've found this place to be very kind.  I was surprised at all the positive comments (even if they are 'fluffy') -- it could be much, much worse - and, IMO, more openly honest.

Dec 06 12 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Best

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If they disagree , next option is to rip one's spelling and based on your response your either a https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iw5TaUpM1OI/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABg/oWjr6XtVW8o/s120-c/photo.jpg or feeding the https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iw5TaUpM1OI/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABg/oWjr6XtVW8o/s120-c/photo.jpg so the best way is to ignore it , not fun for them they will move on ...

maybe not !!

Dec 06 12 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I find the community very supporrive..dunno what you're on about

Dec 06 12 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Jhono Bashian wrote:
don't forget where you are...  it's MM a plethora of all walks of life and all levels of professionalism and creative literary.

MM is certainly that.......It's  a veritable cornucopia of different people.

Dec 06 12 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

MM is certainly that.......It's  a veritable cornucopia of different people.

You get 100 points for using the word 'cornucopia' on MM. I bow to your superior perspicacity.

See how supportive I was there. Huh.  smile

Dec 08 12 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Kat Squibb wrote:
Go on, have at it. Rip me a new one, but honestly, I haven't been on these forums in a while and I now remember why. Most people are so catty and have snotty remarks to most posts.

People tend to not be that nice to each other in this business, which comes out a lot in the forums.

Dec 08 12 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

I'm sick of it too! I suppose its because the glamour industry is full of people who want to feel better than everyone else. As John Berger once said, "glamour cannot exist without personal social envy being a widespread emotion". I get that these people are insecure, pompous and often jealous, but i still don't like having to put a "trolls not welcome" disclaimer when i write my posts.

Sarcasm helps when people get offended over little things. Try not to get sucked into it, and never ask for peoples opinion on your own worth because its probably going to be negative. Just know that truly confident people dont need to tear others down to bring themselves up.

Dec 08 12 05:34 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Drew Smith Photography wrote:

You get 100 points for using the word 'cornucopia' on MM. I bow to your superior perspicacity.

See how supportive I was there. Huh.  smile

I love that word

Dec 08 12 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Kat Squibb wrote:
Go on, have at it. Rip me a new one, but honestly, I haven't been on these forums in a while and I now remember why. Most people are so catty and have snotty remarks to most posts. I really do wish more people on here were more supportive of each other, helpful, and willing to share their knowledge and experience with others to help each  other grow. We are all in the same industry and need to start supporting each other rather than tearing everyone down. Its really just childish and some people have so much negative energy around them and obviously way too much time on their hands. smh.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YT_tq4gexzw/TOSZQRrnZII/AAAAAAAAAL4/ELuiRNa3-zg/s1600/whining%252520jpg.jpg

Dec 08 12 07:29 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I've found the high majority of MM to be pleasant. Sure there's a couple folks who are rude/arrogant in the forums, and a perpetual onslaught of trolls, but as a group, I've found the majority of members I've ever come in contact with to be cool people.

Dec 08 12 07:34 am Link

Model

Raven Nyx

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Oh I hope there isnt any bitchiness on here or anything. I just deleted one site because some of the people were up their own backsides. Why cant we all get a long sad

Dec 08 12 07:39 am Link

Photographer

kitty_empire

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Because it makes me feel like a big man big_smile

(Crap Simpsons reference, sorry)

Dec 08 12 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Carolina Goddess wrote:

I have gotten that as well. Some of the forums have become a place to tear people apart instead of offer helpful constructive criticism. Some people find it easier to say negative things than to offer solutions.

Sometimes that happens.

Many times, helpful/constructive advice and criticism IS actually given, and the person on the receiving end of it doesn't agree with it, and labels it snotty, catty, or negative.

Dec 09 12 12:11 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Kat Squibb wrote:
Go on, have at it. Rip me a new one, but honestly, I haven't been on these forums in a while and I now remember why. Most people are so catty and have snotty remarks to most posts. I really do wish more people on here were more supportive of each other, helpful, and willing to share their knowledge and experience with others to help each  other grow. We are all in the same industry and need to start supporting each other rather than tearing everyone down. Its really just childish and some people have so much negative energy around them and obviously way too much time on their hands. smh.

In fairness, there are some really creepy people on these forums sometimes. Like the guy that was complaining that the model he shot wouldn't allow him to post the nude photo he snapped of her when she wasn't looking, even though they had only agreed to lingerie photos. The forums gave him hell for that - oh, and I helped.

Or the girl that said the photographer was being really creepy on her shoot and it turned out all he did was play a song she didn't like :S

But those kinds of stories aside, I know what you mean. There are some people that just like to fight.

Sometimes I ignore them. Sometimes I call them on it. It's good to draw attention to those sorts of people if they're being really unfair but you also have to weigh up whether or not it's worth it :S

Dec 09 12 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Sean

Atlanta, Georgia, US

That seems to be how internet forums work in general. Forums can be a great place to network and gather information, but other than, forums should probably be avoided.

Dec 09 12 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Sean Alexandre wrote:
That seems to be how internet forums work in general. Forums can be a great place to network and gather information, but other than, forums should probably be avoided.

Hahahaha. Yeah, but realize probably 9/10 of the information you're getting is coming from trolls and should be completely ignored. This forum especially, since trolls are most pissed off by things they can't have and people that are better than them... Which is essentially the basis of glamour.

Dec 09 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Strong

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Catty remarks, snottiness, and rudeness are commonplace today.  People think it's normal behavior.  I blame it on cell phones, the Internet, and people having no clue how to relate to each other because of modern technology.

Dec 11 12 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

I posted a thread last night about dealing with grief and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I have seen the "meanness" trend on many forums in the past though.

Dec 11 12 02:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Kat Squibb wrote:

Sorry you've had a bad experience. Try the soapbox we get along pretty well in there.

Dec 11 12 03:59 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ShivaKitty wrote:
Even as a newbie, I found the forums informative, and the people supportive.

You have to LEARN how to talk to people online. It's not like communicating in person, or on the phone. You can't hear inflections in speech, or see sarcasm in someone's facial expression. You can't make generalizations, and you have to understand that the online world is so immensely culturally and sexually diverse, that if you say something even mildly offensive, there's a pretty good chance you're insulting the lifestyle of someone reading your post.

/thread

Dec 11 12 06:49 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

T wrote:

Sorry you've had a bad experience. Try the soapbox we get along pretty well in there.

lol

Dec 11 12 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Kelly Kooper wrote:
Or the girl that said the photographer was being really creepy on her shoot and it turned out all he did was play a song she didn't like :S

was it that banjo tune from deliverance?

P I X I E wrote:
/thread

wait! not yet! just let me add my insightful response to the op...

https://files.sharenator.com/because_you_touch_yourself_at_night-s250x188-339851.gif

ok, now /thread.

Dec 11 12 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

SGR Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Kat Squibb wrote:
Most people are so catty and have snotty remarks to most posts.

I noticed the same thing. Everytime I post something asking everyone's opinions or advice, all I get are smart-ass comments and rude put-downs about the way I do things.

Dec 14 12 10:19 pm Link