Forums > Model Colloquy > Skin care routine in your 20s...?

Model

EvaScarlet

Los Angeles, California, US

I've never been terribly diligent about a particular skincare routine- I wash face every night, use moisturizer, remember sunscreen about 50% of the time (that part's bad, I know- though technically, I am so rarely outside anyway)... But I am constantly mistaken for being younger than I really am- I am even currently cast as an 18 yr old college freshman tongue

However, I'll be 28 in a few months, and I kind of feel like I ought to be taking better preventative measures than I am.  (I also noticed a giant, fairly deep crease last night above my eyebrow, and was NOT impressed...ahhhhhhhh!)

So- what do other late-20-somethings do for skincare?? 

(Oh- I did research retinol/retinoids quite a bit a while back, and ended up buying ROC Retinol Correction night cream...  I'm at the very end of the tube right now, though, and can't decide if the effects [none that I could note] were worth the high-ish price.)

Dec 11 12 03:44 pm Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

EvaScarlet wrote:
I've never been terribly diligent about a particular skincare routine- I wash face every night, use moisturizer, remember sunscreen about 50% of the time (that part's bad, I know- though technically, I am so rarely outside anyway)... But I am constantly mistaken for being younger than I really am- I am even currently cast as an 18 yr old college freshman tongue

However, I'll be 28 in a few months, and I kind of feel like I ought to be taking better preventative measures than I am.  (I also noticed a giant, fairly deep crease last night above my eyebrow, and was NOT impressed...ahhhhhhhh!)

(Oh- I did research retinol/retinoids quite a bit a while back, and ended up buying ROC Retinol Correction night cream...  I'm at the very end of the tube right now, though, and can't decide if the effects [none that I could note] were worth the high-ish price.)

I use Bare Essentials skin care products. If you're mindful of the sun, sleeping enough and eating well, your skin will show it.

BE has a variety of facial washes as well as a nightly cell repair serum, they also have some things for your eyes, skin correctors, etc. and it's mineral based so it won't clog your pores.  smile

Dec 11 12 04:50 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I just had my first professional facial ever last month, I really recommend it to get an analysis of your skin! smile   I really had no idea about my skin and got some really great tips from a pro.

Dec 11 12 05:17 pm Link

Model

EvaScarlet

model emily  wrote:
I just had my first professional facial ever last month, I really recommend it to get an analysis of your skin! smile   I really had no idea about my skin and got some really great tips from a pro.

Not sure that's in my budget right at this moment, unfortunately... hmm

I know that it's a very individual thing, of course, but would you mind sharing any of the tips you received?

Dec 11 12 05:20 pm Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

model emily  wrote:

I've never had a facial, I've heard some bad things about them. I might try one soon, I've got some blackheads that are killing me, lol.

Dec 11 12 05:33 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Jojo West wrote:
I've never had a facial, I've heard some bad things about them. I might try one soon, I've got some blackheads that are killing me, lol.

What bad things?

The one I went to didn't do any extractions (at least on me), just did a skin analysis, cleansing, exfoliation, mask, massage, and moisturizer (I might have missed one or two steps!)

It was very pleasant! smile

It's worth it just for the skin analysis.  I never knew what kind of 'skin type' I had.  I used products for acne prone skin since I was a teenager (salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide treatments) and she gave me some recommendations for what to try that's more suitable for my skin type (combination) as that acne medication stuff can be very drying for non-oily skin types.  She told me I had great collagen and elasticity.  I've always followed a pretty simple regimen; wash twice day with gentle exfoliate, toner (tea tree), moisturizer. smile   Avoiding smoking, excess drinking, lots of sugar.  Drink lots of water & get sleep!

Dec 11 12 05:37 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I am 28 and I really did not do anything consistently so far as a skin care routine (as in moisturizer, cleanser, etc) until about 9 months ago. I have been wearing sunscreen or full coverage clothing any time I would be out in the sun for an extended time for the last few years. I also did not wear make-up very often and when I did (usually just for a shoot) I would wash it off as soon as I could. I tried a few times to get into the habit of moisturizer at least but it never sunk in as a habit.

Now and for the last 9 months I have been getting more serious. I am eating better, drinking water often, and adopting a better skin care routine. Right now I am using an adapted version of the Japanese/Korean method of facial skin care.
1. I remove make-up with a cleansing oil, currently using Softymo Kose Deep Cleansing Oil, but I have used olive oil before.

2. I cleanse using a foaming cleanser, right now I use Kracie cleansing foams, one is a tea tree and one is a pomegranate. To make it foam I use a thing called a bubble net or bubble maker. Basically it is made of netting and you make foam and use that to cleanse your face versus rubbing the cleanser in. Supposedly it is gentler on your face (which I think it is) and some people think the bubbles get into your pores better (not sure about that)

3. I apply a toner (aka lotion in the Japanese/Korean lines). It is supposed to prepare the skin for the other products and make them absorb better. I streak it on my face and then tap it into my skin with my finger tips. I do not have a link to mine, but here is a popular one.

4. Then for day time I apply an eye cream or gel, have not found one I really like, then a serum. The serum basically provides extra moisture. Sometimes I skip the serum.
OR
4. At night I apply a thin coat of a Vitamin E stick under my eyes and at the outer corner (not in my eye, next to it).

5. Day time: either moisturizer or Maybelline Dream Fresh BB cream (which is kind of like a tinted moisturizer and has SPF of 30). Moisturizer is for times when I will be indoors and I tap that on with my finger tips, the BB cream is for any outdoor days or days where I need a little make-up and I use a flat top brush to stipple and buff it on.
OR
Night time: I apply a thin layer of a moisturizer that was recommended strongly by a video blogger I follow. Again, I tap it on with my finger tips.

I also have some of the fabric masks that they use between cleansing and lotion/toner at night (supposedly once or twice a week, but I do it less often). I want to try more kinds, but the ones I have are really nice. They smell lovely and they do make your skin softer and moisturize.

If you want to read more about it:
http://hope-inablog.com/beauty-articles … e-routine/
http://k-popped.com/2008/04/korean-beau … skin-care/
http://www.inbeautymode.com/2012/04/jap … wless.html
http://www.ratzillacosme.com/2011/japan … e-routine/

I am still working on my routine, but to me it makes more sense. Less scrubbing, for one thing, and the oil is much gentler on my skin than any make-up remover I have used.

Edited to Add: Exfoliation... I have seen this stuff called Cure Gel recommended, but it is pricey (like $40 a bottle). Basically you rub it on and it removes the top layer of dead skin from what I have read. Similar to that stuff you put on your cuticles to soften them and loosen the dead skin. I bought a different version and tried it and I have another bottle of another kind coming. I have only used it once so I cannot say if it works for me or not. I also use a small loofa round to gently massage my chin and nose because the skin sometimes feels bumpy and it smooths it out.

Dec 11 12 05:52 pm Link

Model

Tristyanne

South Beach, Florida, US

I get an aloe Vera leaf and put the raw juice on my face. It tightens immediately. I use anything natural, most things beauty brands sell have harsh chemicals. I use a sugar scrub with a tiny bit of olive oil too. You can do egg masks.
Sperm is also great for your skin. Most anti aging products have things very similar to sperm in them, if not whale sperm or something of the sort.

Dec 12 12 01:30 am Link

Model

Raven Nyx

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Try e45 cream before bed. Wash face first. And use it before you put make up on.

I swear by this stuff helps my skin from getting dry and If I'm forced to wear make up as I never wear it I apply before so stops my skin getting bad.

Dec 12 12 02:38 pm Link

Model

Alixx Rose

Atlanta, Georgia, US

i think there can't be anything better for your skin than drinking tons of water.

and maybe some vitamin E

Dec 13 12 07:33 am Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Alixx Rose wrote:
i think there can't be anything better for your skin than drinking tons of water.

and maybe some vitamin E

This...

and I just wash my face and moisturize in the morning and at bedtime. I just find the products that work for me. Every decade my skin changes, so I have to change products as time progresses. I have probably had a skin regimine since my teens.

Dec 23 12 09:42 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

EvaScarlet wrote:

Hi,
The best skin care regimine ever!!! Taking in sufficient water and getting enough rest. smile

In my 20's I used regular hand and body lotion, on my face.
In my 30's I realized that I might need to use face lotion and used ponds daily moisturizing cream.
In my 40s until 45 I used ponds alternating with expensive stuff, sometimes.
At 46, I am back to using hand lotion and gel baby oil and, sometimes, now, Hawaiin coconut face cream...however I use much nicer hand lotion now without chemically additives. smile
Jen
p.s. I try to avoid all those chemically gobbledy gook...I'm afraid of turning into a pumpkin at midnight when it expires or something and having my face fall!
p.p.s. and like you...I sure wish I'd have used sunscreen and NOT been a sun worshipper for years as well as worked outside for years too as a laborer
another edit:
Emily is right! I had my first facial at 45 and really liked it, (requested a moisturizing only facial..) liked it so much I've had one at 46 already too!)
edit another time:
Recipe for home facial with scrub:
2 aspirins with three warm frops of water on them, let them sit to dissolve, then add some honey and olive oil, (guess about an 1/8 tsp oil and a tsp honey) use cotton ball to rub onto your face, let sit a few minutes then warm water rinse off. smile The aspirin is chemically like hydroxy but, I will use something I create and isn't bottled. smile

Dec 23 12 12:58 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I am over 50 but most people think I am in my late twenties or early 30's. 

Best thing you can do for your skin is eat healthy. No-sugar or animal fats. I use a lot of olive oil in my food (about 3/4 gallon per month).  I also use strait extra-virgin olive oil as a skin moisturizer just like they did thousands of years ago.  Don't be afraid of getting sun exposure as it makes the vitamin D you need for fighting off disease--humans did not evolve as nocturnal animals.

If you drink a lot, smoke or do drugs, just ignore what I've said here and get a good brand of thick makeup. smile

Dec 23 12 01:51 pm Link

Model

Nichole Hopkins

Not a derm, but I used to sell skincare and mineral cosmetics, including BE and Jane Iredale.

Bare Essentuals minerals are not ground as fine as they should be, and can irritate sensitive skin. The makeup also builds up in creases easily. Although its advertised as "you can sleep in it" or whatever- DONT. For obvious reasons, try not to sleep with makeup on your face. any kind.  I learned to not do this 5/7 days of the week and my pores look WAY better.

REN
http://www.renskincare.com/

All-natural paraben and petrochemical-free line from London. I have used everything in the line and I LOVE all of it. Im currently addicted to the Mayblossom face wash.
Against Animal Testing (important to me)

When it comes down to it, all sales-BS aside, you only need to do these things:

Drink water
Wear Sunscreen
Wash face nightly
Keep clean pillow cases on your pillows**** (prevents bacteria from living on there and causing breakouts)
If you smoke, do so within reason. Im a smoker myself. Horrible habit but im being real here.
Drink water
Take multi-vitamins

If you want to spend a little, pick up a product with retinol as an active ingredient. If you do this, ABSOLUTELY wear sunscreen as retinol makes your skin super sensitive to UV.

If you live in a city like LA where its polluted, grab a toner to swipe over your face after washing and before makeup. I like the one from Bliss but the one from Neutrogena aint bad.

Good luck.

Dec 23 12 02:28 pm Link

Model

Nichole Hopkins

EvaScarlet wrote:

I own Roc and stopped using it because I feel it doesn't work. Im glad I got it as a gift or I wouldve returned it. You can go to Sephora and the girls there can help you find a few things in your price range.

When it comes down to spending on skincare....for the finer things like retinols, collagens, etc....you really do get what you pay for.  Roc is an ok brand but nothing really thats going to give fabulous results.  I use a cream from Perricone MD that was like $80 but I felt like taking care of my skin was worth it~ and as a bonus, the "ok its expensive but im doing this for my skin" commitment has helped me curb my smoking a bit.

Dec 23 12 02:39 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

I'll echo what most people here have said; as long as you're drinking enough water and eating nutritious food, that will do 90% of the job. If you aren't putting the right things in your body, it doesn't matter what you put on it. I notice a big change if I eat poorly for a week!

I have extremely dry skin especially in winter, so I rarely use soap or anything too drying; I use cream cleansers and moisturizing body washes and always moisturize after a shower. I just started using eye cream for the extra moisture.

Dec 23 12 02:54 pm Link

Model

Koryn

I like plain coconut oil from Trader Joe's.

Everything else I've ever moisturized my face with was just a waste of money.

Dec 23 12 03:01 pm Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

I'm almost 20, so I think I can post here with advice? haha
Anyway,

I drink lots of water, DO NOT pull/stretch my skin whenever I put make up on, use sun screen on the spots I always burn (cheeks, toes, ears is the spot I always burn for some reason), use neutrogene acnea wipes once before i go to bed and once after I wake......and I believe that's it besides washing down nice and good in the shower. Oh yes, I also always use chapstick every day. It helps keeps your lips looking 'fresh' and does not let lipstick stain your lips smile

Hope that helps in some way shape or form

Dec 23 12 03:20 pm Link