Forums > Model Colloquy > How long is too long to wait for images?

Photographer

DraganSutic

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Don't you mean "Why agree to do a TF with a photographer who told you up front it would take 180 days to get your pictures and then complain about it later because you didn't read the contract? ?

Amelia Talon wrote:

180 days is way too long. Within a month or two is reasonable. It's obvious he's giving his TF shoots the lowest priority, whether or not he's fully booked all the time, nothing really excuses taking a half of a year, I mean why bother taking TFs at all?

Dec 15 12 02:18 am Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Seattle, Washington, US

DraganSutic wrote:
Don't you mean "Why agree to do a TF with a photographer who told you up front it would take 180 days to get your pictures and then complain about it later because you didn't read the contract? ?

Except he didn't, she read it in the contract after the event. Since she already gave her time it then came down to either forced to wait the 180 days or no pics at all.

Dec 15 12 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Mirror With A Memory

New York, New York, US

Always read the fine print.

Dec 15 12 02:52 am Link

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

So considering how great this photographer is and how much it sounded like you wanted to do a shoot with him.

If you had read the contract before shooting and knew about the 180 day wait to receive your photos.

Would you have still done the shoot or not?

Dec 15 12 02:53 am Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree 6 months is insane. The rare instances I do trade, I expect images back within 2 weeks. That being said, it really won't do much good to pester about getting them sooner

Dec 15 12 07:59 pm Link

Model

Elza B Model

Cleveland, Ohio, US

DraganSutic wrote:
Not even close ... how is it bad on both your parts? You did something without reading the contract and then signed a contract after the fact and now want something extra because you signed something without reading ... tell me would it be ok if it too him a full year instead of 180 days?

Because I did in fact inquire about the release before we shot, which also happened to be a VERY short notice shoot (I mean he called and I was there in 4 hours). He didn't have a copy. It was emailed to me a few days after the shoot. Hindsight: Obviously sign before any shots are taken. In this instance, however I was there, he was there, his workshop team was there, so we went ahead. If the contract were there, I would have read and questioned the 180 days. But it wasn't so I didn't. He didn't bring the contract, NOR bring up the fact that it would take 180 days. I did inquire about the timeframe, and he pretty much laughed. It would have been NICE and professional if at THAT point he was upfront with me. So yes, bad on both our parts.

In the end, for me: Lessons Learned:
   -Read the contract before meeting preferably
   -Give him his time, his paid work is his priority, although this was a workshop so it's not as if that wasn't paid work for him anyhow.

And please understand, before y'all think  I'm sitting here biting my nails, sweating it and going into panic mode. Or that I'm calling/emailing/texting this guy daily and harassing him. I'm NOT. I just wanted to get insight from others in the industry as to what IS and what IS NOT a normal/acceptable time frame for image turner.

Thanks everyone!

Dec 16 12 05:07 am Link

Model

Elza B Model

Cleveland, Ohio, US

ammodphoto wrote:
So considering how great this photographer is and how much it sounded like you wanted to do a shoot with him.

If you had read the contract before shooting and knew about the 180 day wait to receive your photos.

Would you have still done the shoot or not?

Actually, I would have! It was fun and his work is amazing! According to another model who TF'ed his workshop, her images were nothing like his paid work.He didn't watermark it, either. So not only do I get to wait till May, but I have little reassurance that he'll put any time into editing my images, or that he really cared about how they were coming out during his workshop in the first place.

BUT: fingers crossed. I am an optimist.

Dec 16 12 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I as a photographer don't understand photographers who take too long to delivery images.

Seriously, I shoot with film negatives and I never take more than 5 days to delivery the results. Very often I delivery it on the next day or on the day after. And often, if I shoot in the morning and have the afternoon free, I will delivery the images on the same day at night.

And I take much more time than digital photographers to see the results, because I have develop the negatives, dry it, scan or traditionally print it, while digital photographers just have to plug a cable from the camera into a computer and work on it.

I can't start any other thing before fully finish a photo projects. Because if I leave it for later I become frustrated and I don't feel the same enthusiasm to work on old stuff.

I just don't understand why some photographers take months. It seems they care more about playing with their cameras than about the result. To me, if it is not about the final result I feel I am waisting my time.

Dec 16 12 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

As a photojournalist, if I took 180 days to submit photos, I wouldn't sell very many of them. lol.

Granted, news photos don't get edited because the buyers tend to disapprove of that but my workflow to post those is measured in hours, not days.

At least some basically edited proofs should be able to be shown within a day or two to give some feedback.

Then the model (and yourself) can post and brag about it on Facebook for all her friends to see. And then the real retouching can be done after that on a reasonable time schedule.

If you're too busy to do that, you're shooting too much.

Dec 16 12 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Good lesson in upfront communications. He may have his reasons for 180 days, especially for TF/workshop images. He may have a full load of paying clients that he addresses first, and backlogs the TF shots for slow periods in the six months.

I do think 180 days is too long, but that was your agreement. Read before signing. Learn to ask questions, and write down key points or changes on the release with both adding initials.

But before you complain, remember you agreed to it. He might surprise you, or he may need a reminder on Day 181. One surprise might be lots more of edits than you expected. Try and rush him, and you might get a couple of images poorly edited.

Dec 16 12 12:57 pm Link

Model

Amelia Talon

Seattle, Washington, US

Rachel Elizabeth B wrote:

Actually, I would have! It was fun and his work is amazing! According to another model who TF'ed his workshop, her images were nothing like his paid work.He didn't watermark it, either. So not only do I get to wait till May, but I have little reassurance that he'll put any time into editing my images, or that he really cared about how they were coming out during his workshop in the first place.

BUT: fingers crossed. I am an optimist.

That sounds like poop, I would never work with someone like that. hmm

Dec 16 12 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yeah. I'm pretty much taking  this as a lesson learned. Don't even get in front of the camera no matter HOW excited I am that it's a famous photog, until I have READ the release and have agreed to the terms, etc. Painful lesson.

It should be painful. 31 is a little late in life to learn the lesson of reading something before you sign it.

Dec 17 12 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just wanted to get insight from others in the industry as to what IS and what IS NOT a normal/acceptable time frame for image turner.

There is no definitive answer, other than the time frame that was agreed upon.

Dec 17 12 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Sand Angel Photography wrote:
If you're too busy to do that, you're shooting too much.

Exactly. And what ever has "too much" is not good.

We know that business has priority. People want give priority to what brings money and money pay bills.

But people who has nothing to do with your other business don't care about your time and money. Because of that, the photographer should make it clear before the shoot and before show any release who the work will be and how long it will take (especially when his condition is far way from the avarege or what is considered normal). It is not nice at all accept somebody "help" and after he got what he wanted from you he tell his exceptional conditions. And the model will have to accept after the shoot. You never should do it to somebody who trusted on your and offer you a trade or any kind of help.

I think it is very impolite and stupid when somebody tell others that they have priorities. It is the same to say, "Now That I used you I don't need you anymore so I will let you on stand by".

Nobody should be accepting any other business if they still have to pay off somebody. It doesn't evolves money but it doesn't mean you are allowed to be "irresponsible" and upset people.

Dec 17 12 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

...throw some money his way and he may indeed re-prioritize your work for early completion big_smile

Dec 17 12 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Glenn Hall - Fine Art wrote:
...throw some money his way and he may indeed re-prioritize your work for early completion big_smile

Maybe he should pay a interest rate because he used the model's time and work and he is only paying it back after 180 days.

Dec 17 12 03:55 am Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

I think 180 days is completely reasonable for TF images. Just wait it out.. TF always gets put on the back burner. It was clear in his contract.

Hes Not a hobby shooter. Period.

Dec 17 12 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

How long is too long to wait for images?  I just want to learn from this and others' experiences. Thanks.

an agency will require to see some results within a few days.  if one is freelancing and isn't getting the same then the motive is wrong...or you're just playing let's take pictures and the results are pretty much meaningless other than posting new pictures for ego whenever they may arrive.

Dec 17 12 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

KA Style wrote:
I think 180 days is completely reasonable for TF images. J

if i was a model and a photographer said that to me i'd say fuck you.  whole portfolios are fully updated in that time frame.  in that span whatever was delivered will be out of date.

Dec 17 12 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

The lesson is to read the release BEFORE the shoot, sign following the shoot, if possible. Many photographers will want the release signed before the shoot begins. Your choice to sign or walk. I do not pay until the release is signed, and on TF shoot, of course, no images without a signed release, too.

If the photographer claims to not have a release ready before the shoot, red flags should go up, especially if shooting at his studio.

You do hold some power in your hands by not signing a release with a 180 day clause. He and the workshop attendees are stuck with images they cannot use. Remember he called you. Just refuse to sign unless the 180 day is trimmed to something you can tolerate.

I do suspect that workshop images are not his high priority. I can imagine he is not looking for images for his portfolio that will duplicate the images produced by the attendees. You might be happier and get images more quickly by contacting the attendees to the workshop.

Dec 19 12 07:37 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Can't blame a guy for probably putting paid gigs over TF can you?

I mean a photographer's gotta make a living, right? wink You might be surprised to know how many photographers get TF's "bumped" (at the last minute) because a paid shoot came up for the model, and that's just the "way it is"...because a "model's gotta make a living".

You negotiated that agreement and signed the papers. I don't think you have room to complain. Maybe if you ask him nicely.
At least he told you up front.

All that being said...6 months is pretty extreme! Usually about 48hrs or less for me.

Dec 19 12 07:59 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Well put. Pretty much, yes. He and I are BOTH aware of the fact that I was not aware of the terms until 2 days after we shot. Bad on both our parts. Regardless, I feel that approaching him gently and inquiring about maybe even just a sneak peek of a few, but not all of the images agreed upon, isn't asking too much.

I thought it a bit odd the first time you said it after you forgot to bring the model release he provided because you were in such a rush.

Now, this is the second time you said it regarding a contract he provided that you failed to read.

So I have to ask, how are either of those events in any way "his bad"? Both of them resulted from a lack of organization on your part. It's not the photographers job to handhold you through the reading of a contract or remind you to bring the release he provided.

You learned not sign anything until you've actually read it. That's a great lesson. One that should be learned long before someone is in a position to sign anything...but nonetheless, a lesson learned.

But I do have to say, if you were so excited for the opportunity to shoot with this person that you lied to your employer to leave work early, raced over there forgetting the only piece of paperwork that you needed, would it really have mattered if you had known it would be 180 days before receiving the images? Yes, you want the images now. But are they going to be less valuable to you then?

180 days is a long time but I give the photographer kudos for stating it in his paperwork. Many less professional photographers would either not give a timeframe (and you'd wait) or they would say 2-4 weeks and you'd still be waiting months.

Dec 19 12 08:21 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

photo212grapher wrote:
If the photographer claims to not have a release ready before the shoot, red flags should go up, especially if shooting at his studio.

Maybe I'm wrong but I got the impression this photographer provided the model with the release in advance of the shoot. But in her rush to leave work, and pack up her closet to get to the shoot, forgot the release.

Dec 19 12 08:24 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

True story: I waited for images 6+ months once, but when it came through it was great and got published in print in a good magazine a few months later.

Yes, I was mad as fuck - but basically nothing you can do about it. It's true that good communication, before and after the shoot, can solve a lot, but the ultimate power is still with the person who has and owns the images. (Yup, that's not us.)

Dec 19 12 08:25 am Link

Model

Angelina Henstra

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

You agreed to it and you always have a choice...

Dec 19 12 08:30 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Image K wrote:
There is no definitive answer, other than the time frame that was agreed upon.

This.

I generally try to post a couple of 'previews' the day of the shoot or the day after, but after that it all depends on what else I have going on. I don't make any foolish promises beforehand though and if somebody asks I say "up to 3 months" to cover myself. It's not usually that long of course, but sometimes life - or paid work - have to come first.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Dec 19 12 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Marcio Faustino Santos wrote:
I as a photographer don't understand photographers who take too long to delivery images.

Seriously, I shoot with film negatives and I never take more than 5 days to delivery the results. Very often I delivery it on the next day or on the day after. And often, if I shoot in the morning and have the afternoon free, I will delivery the images on the same day at night.

And I take much more time than digital photographers to see the results, because I have develop the negatives, dry it, scan or traditionally print it, while digital photographers just have to plug a cable from the camera into a computer and work on it.

I can't start any other thing before fully finish a photo projects. Because if I leave it for later I become frustrated and I don't feel the same enthusiasm to work on old stuff.

I just don't understand why some photographers take months. It seems they care more about playing with their cameras than about the result. To me, if it is not about the final result I feel I am waisting my time.

While some of what you say can be seen as true, there is a whole other side to digital. None of pictures are just plonked out the camera and I have a digital camera.

Dec 19 12 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Because I did in fact inquire about the release before we shot, which also happened to be a VERY short notice shoot (I mean he called and I was there in 4 hours). He didn't have a copy. It was emailed to me a few days after the shoot. Hindsight: Obviously sign before any shots are taken. In this instance, however I was there, he was there, his workshop team was there, so we went ahead. If the contract were there, I would have read and questioned the 180 days. But it wasn't so I didn't. He didn't bring the contract, NOR bring up the fact that it would take 180 days. I did inquire about the timeframe, and he pretty much laughed. It would have been NICE and professional if at THAT point he was upfront with me. So yes, bad on both our parts.

In the end, for me: Lessons Learned:
   -Read the contract before meeting preferably
   -Give him his time, his paid work is his priority, although this was a workshop so it's not as if that wasn't paid work for him anyhow.

And please understand, before y'all think  I'm sitting here biting my nails, sweating it and going into panic mode. Or that I'm calling/emailing/texting this guy daily and harassing him. I'm NOT. I just wanted to get insight from others in the industry as to what IS and what IS NOT a normal/acceptable time frame for image turner.

Thanks everyone!

Got to admit that's a bit sneaky on his part if he didn't let you see a release beforehand.  Fingers crossed the pics turn up retouched.

Dec 19 12 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Pardue Photography

Oakland, California, US

37 seconds.  anything after that you might as well forget about them

Dec 19 12 05:43 pm Link