Forums > Newbie Forum > Where to post free room for female visiting models

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Is there a proper place I can post that I sometimes will have a free room available for female models who want to visit the Chicago area for a short stay?  I think it would be a fair trade if I can photograph them in exchange for accomadations.  I also have a studio in the same building that I am in the process of buying. 
Am I allowed to include my phone number in the same post?

Jan 04 13 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

check out casting and see who is visiting

Jan 04 13 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Occasionally, female models have stayed late for a shoot, then asked me if they could sleep over.  I think it will be nice if they can have their own private room.
One model fell asleep on the posing table during a late shoot, so I just covered her over with a blanket then went to bed.

Jan 04 13 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Yes, there's a thread for those who want to host models. Search it.

Gabby

Jan 04 13 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

you've been a member here since 2006?!!?!
wow.

You can post information in your profile that you are able to host.

IBTL = In Before The Lock.
Meaning this thread will most likely be locked by a Nigerian scammer for violating one or more of many MM forum violations or escalating into a trainwreck.

Let me help the train pull out of the station:

Why are you only offering accommodations for female models?
Why the discrimination?

I'm hosting a male photographer right now.
and I've previously hosted 3 female models and 1 Male model. Some of them multiple times.

Jan 04 13 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
Yes, there's a thread for those who want to host models. Search it.

Gabby

Where is that list?

Jan 04 13 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
you've been a member here since 2006?!!?!
wow.

You can post information in your profile that you are able to host.

IBTL = in before the lock.
meaning this thread will most likely be locked by a moderator for violating one or more of many MM forum violations or escalating into a trainwreck.

Let me help the train pull out of the station:

Why the discrimination?

and I've previously hosted 3 female models and 1 Male model. Some of them multiple times.

Because I want to photograph female models, yet I don't want to take unfair advantage of them.  I have gotten messages in the past from female models looking for a room while they visit Chicago.

Jan 04 13 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Where is that list?

I don't know where to find that thread.

Jan 04 13 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Put on your profile like I did.

Jan 04 13 11:31 pm Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Why the discrimination?

Why do you care?  And why do you feel it necessary to illustrate how magnanimous you are with traveling models? It has nothing to do with the OP's question.

Jan 04 13 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Stann Hoyle wrote:

I don't know where to find that thread.

Use this
https://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Stann Hoyle wrote:
Because I want to photograph female models, yet I don't want to take unfair advantage of them.  I have gotten messages in the past from female models looking for a room while they visit Chicago.

*full body shivers*

Why not just offer room/board to the models with whom you are specifically working?

Using a free room as bait is just... I don't know... it seems creepy to me.

And, if you're getting these messages, why the need to advertise?

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Stann Hoyle wrote:

If theyre already contacting you asking for a room, then you shouldnt need to advertise. Like John and I already suggested, just add the information onto your profile.
When models are searching for a photog in your area, they'll find it smile

Jan 04 13 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Hit the wrong link... *sigh*

Jan 04 13 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Why the discrimination?

I didn't realize I was amongst greatness here. roll

Whaddya want, three atta-boys or three gold stars?

Jan 04 13 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Being helpful...

This may be what you are looking for?..
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=376963

There is also this list..
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=844281

Jan 04 13 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

William Kious wrote:

*full body shivers*

Why not just offer room/board to the models with whom you are specifically working?

I don't get these messages very often.  It just seems to me that traveling models and hosting photographers ought to have a standard way to connect.

Jan 04 13 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

aquarelle wrote:
Why do you care?  And why do you feel it necessary to illustrate how magnanimous you are with traveling models? It has nothing to do with the OP's question.

His preference doesn't matter to me personally.
I was just pointing out that the discriminatory nature of his post, which gives off an unpleasant vibe (seems others picked up on that too). that is probably why another member wrote  "IBTL" on suspicion that this will turn into a train wreck.  .....its getting there.

Personally as someone that takes part in the MM community, I offer my spare room to any member of this site. Therefore i was just illustrating how much of a nice guy i am. *pats himself on back*

Just encouraging to help everyone i guess.
Especially since he wrote he doesnt even insist on shooting with them, they need not specifically be a model in that case.

Jan 04 13 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Small Fruit Pits wrote:

can i have any combination of either as long as it adds up to three?
how many do i have to earn before i can trade them in for a cookie?

Jan 04 13 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

His preference doesn't matter to me personally.
I was just pointing out that the discriminatory nature of his post, which gives off an unpleasant vibe (seems others picked up on that too). that is probably why another member wrote  "IBTL" on suspicion that this will turn into a train wreck.  .....its getting there.

Personally as someone that takes part in the MM community, I offer my spare room to any member of this site. Therefore i was just illustrating how much of a nice guy i am. *pats himself on back*

I wish we could get a female point of view on this topic.  I happen to like photographing female models.  I don't see that as being unnatural.

Jan 04 13 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Stann Hoyle wrote:

I don't get these messages very often.  It just seems to me that traveling models and hosting photographers ought to have a standard way to connect.

We do. It's called the telephone.

If a model needs to crash after a shoot, fine. If I have the space (and he/she isn't creepy) crashing on the couch can be an option. Otherwise, it's a hotel. I don't need (or want) the liability.

Jan 04 13 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

To Stann Hoyle --

Go to Model Colloquy (Forum) and do a search for hosting models or host models list. It should pop up. Or you can go back through the pages on that forum and you will find it.

(aka: Bare Essential Photos)

Edit: Okay toesup put up the link. Just hit his link.

Gabby

Jan 04 13 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Yes, some do host models.. even though they dont advertise the fact..

No.. It's not creepy, it saves the expense of a hotel bill for the model..

In fact I'm hosting another traveling model tomorrow night..

SEE MY LINK ABOVE!.. yeeessshhh

Jan 04 13 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Stann Hoyle wrote:
I wish we could get a female point of view on this topic.  I happen to like photographing female models.  I don't see that as being unnatural.

totally not unnatural to want to photograph female models.
it just seemed odd that your offer to provide a room didnt require photographing them.

so then if you don't require photographing your guests, why must they all be models? and female?

to some people in this overly cautious / paranoid community that might seem like there may be other motives for inviting only attractive women over.

Not saying you have other motives, just that it could come across that way.

Thats all.
Best of luck smile

Jan 04 13 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

totally not unnatural to want to photograph female models.
it just seemed odd that your offer to provide a room didnt require photographing them.

so then if you don't require photographing your guests, why must they all be models? and female?

to some people in this overly cautious / paranoid community that might seem like there may be other motives for inviting only attractive women over.

Not saying you have other motives, just that it could come across that way.

Thats all.
Best of luck smile

Good point

Jan 05 13 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

William Kious wrote:
*full body shivers*

Why not just offer room/board to the llamas with whom you are specifically working?

Why would it be creepy to make people aware of something you're offering that they might value.  I've hosted plenty of llamas, in a variety of shoot contexts.    And, as noted, there's a thread to promote such offers.

If my shoot plans work out, I'll be looking for someone in the Evansville In area to host me if possible.

Jan 05 13 12:09 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Art of the nude wrote:
Why would it be creepy to make people aware of something you're offering that they might value.  I've hosted plenty of models, in a variety of shoot contexts.    And, as noted, there's a thread to promote such offers.

If my shoot plans work out, I'll be looking for someone in the Evansville In area to host me if possible.

Creepy - to me, at least - for the following reasons:

Stann Hoyle wrote:
Is there a proper place I can post that I sometimes have a free room available for female models who want to visit the Chicago area for a short stay?

What about male models? Other photographers? MUA's? Stylists? Anyone else in the community who might need a space for the evening? How about defining "a short stay"?

Stann Hoyle wrote:
I think it would be a fair trade if I can photograph them in exchange for accomadations.

We went from offering a model a room for a visit to the room being offered in exchange for a shoot. If the model refuses to pose, what then? No dice? Does the model know, in advance, that a shoot is expected as compensation?

Stann Hoyle wrote:
Because I want to photograph female models, yet I don't want to take unfair advantage of them.

This might be silly, given that I don't know the OP, but whenever someone says something like this it raises red flags for me. People have very different definitions of "fair". So, the OP might save the model $60 for a room at Motel 6. Is that fair if he "requests" a shoot in exchange? Clarity and details are important.

Stann Hoyle wrote:

Why should a female point of view be any more or less relevant to the topic?

Jan 05 13 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

William Kious wrote:

Wow, you're putting a lot of thought into this.  I've hosted models who came from out of town just for a trade with me, models who were passing through for a night on a paid work travel trip, models who came to shoot with me, but accepted paid work, etc.  And they've driven themselves, or had someone else pay for a flight, and so on.

They've also stayed anywhere from one night to a week.

Jan 05 13 12:30 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Art of the nude wrote:
Wow, you're putting a lot of thought into this.  I've hosted models who came from out of town just for a trade with me, models who were passing through for a night on a paid work travel trip, models who came to shoot with me, but accepted paid work, etc.  And they've driven themselves, or had someone else pay for a flight, and so on.

I over-think everything. smile

I question motives. Again, details are important.

Read his profile. Someone with 20 years experience, who has run workshops, helped out nude figure models, etc. shouldn't have to ask this kind of question. wink

Then there's the casting he posted about this topic on Jan 1:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/casting/1660690

We go from a room in exchange for a shoot to "cheap rent".

*shrugs*

Again... question everything.

OP, I'm sorry for talking about you in the third person. You might be a great guy with the best intentions. But... someone asked why I found your post "creepy". No offense is intended, but your verbiage is unsettling to me.

Jan 05 13 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Art of the nude wrote:

if you want any gold stars or attaboys from Small Fruit Pits then you have to host them for at least 2 weeks. wink

Jan 05 13 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

William Kious wrote:
No offense is intended, but your verbiage is unsettling to me.

I got the same vibe, for the same reasons you listed.
Perhaps that, and a seemingly over-eagerness to host is leading to a lack of results.

Stann,
I find that the more I network, the more I make friends.
Then if the need to provide accommodations for a friend occurs I am able to provide or receive them.

Networking is the key.
You of all people with the background you list should know this.
You should have a huge network of people telling other people about working with you.

Last week i got a message from a model on the other side of the country asking if she could crash here for a week, because she heard from two other models that i was cool.

The photographer i'm hosting now messaged me about working in my area probably because we're both active in the forums and he saw my location.
I offered to host him.

Members I've hosted in the past were mostly all because someone knows someone that i know. meeting friends of friends. its a network, not a bunch of spamming asking for someone to come over.

Jan 05 13 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

toesup wrote:
Yes, some do host models.. even though they dont advertise the fact..

No.. It's not creepy, it saves the expense of a hotel bill for the model..

In fact I'm hosting another traveling model tomorrow night..

SEE MY LINK ABOVE!.. yeeessshhh

There is a 3 bedroom apartment above the studio in a building i'm buying in Skokie.  I thought it might be nice if I make those rooms available to female models whether traveling or local.  I think female models might feel comfortable if they know that only females will be staying in the apartment.  I already have another house and studio where I can stay.

Jan 05 13 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

What is this.....a 7 man debate about maybe hosting one of the zero female models that are chiming in on this thread?   

Enthralling.   

Why don't we reverse it.....

One male photographer, willing to camp on the couch of any female model in exchange for a picture session. 

Any takers ladies??   

Jan 05 13 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Eyesso wrote:
What is this.....a 7 man debate about maybe hosting one of the zero female models that are chiming in on this thread?   

Enthralling.   

Why don't we reverse it.....

One male photographer, willing to camp on the couch of any female model in exchange for a picture session. 

Any takers ladies??   

What does it take to get women to comment???   I would especially like to hear from some female models.

Jan 05 13 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Stann Hoyle wrote:
What does it take to women to comment???   I would especially like to hear from some female llamas.

no response is a response.

p.s. i had another llama ask me today if she could stay with me again.
shes living out of a suitcase, and has no home base currently.
do you want her to stay with you?
Shes really pretty and shoots nudes.

Jan 06 13 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Stann Hoyle

Skokie, Illinois, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
no response is a response.

p.s. i had another model ask me today if she could stay with me again.
shes living out of a suitcase, and has no home base currently.
do you want her to stay with you?
Shes really pretty and shoots nudes.

Please ask her to contact me after Feb 15.  I expect to close on this building soon. If she wants to visit Chicago after Feb 15, I can probably let her stay free.

Jan 06 13 10:01 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Stann Hoyle wrote:

There is a 3 bedroom apartment above my studio in a building i'm buying in Skokie.  I thought it might be nice if I make those rooms available to female models whether traveling or local.  Eventually I may find someone who wants to rent them, but in the meantime I think female models might feel comfortable if they know that only females are staying in the apartment.

You don't even own the property yet and you're extending promises for rent?

You assume entirely too much about the female gender.

Jan 06 13 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Small Fruit Pits wrote:

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

I'll bake each of you two a batch of cookies, but you have to pick them up at the studio...

Jan 06 13 10:16 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Stann Hoyle wrote:
What does it take to women to comment???   I would especially like to hear from some female models.

Stann Hoyle wrote:
Please ask her to contact me.  If she wants to visit Chicago, I can probably let her stay free.  If photographers in this area want to photograph her, they might also be able to rent one of my studios cheap.

Gentle advice, Stann: just stop. Use the links provided to offer the service.

You're only, in my opinion, digging yourself a deeper creeper hole.

Jan 06 13 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Small Fruit Pits wrote:

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

I'll bake each of you two a batch of cookies, but you have to pick them up at the studio...

Yes, you can stay over too.. smile

Jan 06 13 10:22 am Link