Forums > Critique > would you pay to work with me?

Model

Alison Sutter

Sacramento, California, US

If not list reasons why.
Try to list more then 5 reasons not to if your really interested in not working with me.

Jan 10 13 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon L Ingram

Eugene, Oregon, US

PerfectionxQueenie wrote:
If not list reasons why.
Try to list more then 5 reasons not to if your really interested in not working with me.

On your page, it says paid shoots only. But, you list the type of themes you'd like to shoot. I'm assuming they're shoots you'd like to have in your portfolio? This would seem more like a TFP type of situation. Why would I pay you, and provide you with photos you'd like to have in your port? Also, I don't feel you have the portfolio to require paid work. Lastly, putting on your profile that you'd like the photographer to give you a price list of shoots.

May not be five reasons, but enough reasons for me to skip to the next model. IMHO, I would erase your profile and start from scratch. No disrespect, just answering your post.

Jan 10 13 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Well, I got to your stats and saw this

Bust:     34"
Waist:     34"
Hips:             28"

That was enough for me. I'm guessing they aren't your real stats, but maybe they are...

I'd move on and not even look at your images. Either way, I'm not interested.

Jan 10 13 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

No.

Your profile is offputting, coming from a 19-year-old.

The facial expressions in each and every one of the images in your current portfolio suggest you are a stuck-up little drama queen, not someone a photographer would want to work with.

Your profile contains a bunch of irrelevant bullshit, like being a nanny and knowing first aid, none of which matters when hiring a model.

You suggest you will only work paid assignments, when your portfolio suggests you've never had a paid shoot in your young life.

You lack mastery of the English language in your profile.

Really, you need to start over with some more realistic expectations.

Jan 10 13 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon L Ingram

Eugene, Oregon, US

Your Twitter name is @nakedxbabe, but you don't shoot nudes...??

Jan 10 13 10:05 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

1.) Your profile is a mess- too long, unprofessional, off topic, and confusing.

2.) You don't have any quality images in your port.  Unfortunately, better quality can be seen on a lot of people's personal FB pages.

3.) You don't know how to pose, and there's no variety in your expressions.

4.) Your styling is sloppy- hair, makeup, and clothing need a lot of work.

5.) You seem delusional- You have "Paid Only" marked on your profile, but your portfolio has nothing that would indicate you have any experience as an actual model.  You also have shoot ideas that *you* want to do listed on your profile.  Nobody is going to pay you to shoot *your* ideas.  Paid shoots= you shoot the photographer's ideas.....because you're being paid to do so.   If you want a photographer to shoot your ideas, you need to trade, or pay the photographer.

You have potential, but you really need to step it up, and try being a little more realistic.

Edit: BTW, if you're an EE cup with a 34" waist you are *not* a size 2.  You may want to fix your stats.

Jan 10 13 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

S-U-B-L-I-M-E

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

MelissaAnn  wrote:

2.) You don't have any quality images in your port.  Unfortunately, better quality can be seen on a lot of people's personal FB pages.

5.) You seem delusional- You have "Paid Only" marked on your profile, but your portfolio has nothing that would indicate you have any experience as an actual model.  You also have shoot ideas that *you* want to do listed on your profile.  Nobody is going to pay you to shoot *your* ideas.  Paid shoots= you shoot the photographer's ideas.....because you're being paid to do so.   If you want a photographer to shoot your ideas, you need to trade, or pay the photographer.

You have potential, but you really need to step it up, and try being a little more realistic.

Edit: BTW, if you're an EE cup with a 34" waist you are *not* a size 2.  You may want to fix your stats.

+1

Jan 10 13 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

I opine that at this point you should concentrate on trade shoots to build your portfolio,'learn the ropes' and to cultivate your image a bit. I won't tear you down, but essentially you need to put a bit more into your modeling before any juicy assignments start coming your way.

Jan 10 13 10:24 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You are no where near getting any paid work, IMO. Especially with the talent that's already in LA. You need to step up your game in a major way before you start getting any significant paid work.

Jan 10 13 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Pay? Noooo, I would not consider it for a moment.
Some of the reasons for this are your lack of professional experience, your lack of diversity in expressions and posing, your lack of connection with the camera/viewer, your projected diva vibe and last but not least your average looks.
Just my opinion.

Jan 11 13 03:49 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I don't worry at all if a llama says paid work only in her profile - I've worked TF with plenty of llamas that indicated that.

I don't mind if a llama's images are poor so long as I can see what she looks like overall - what you have just about does that. At least I know what I have to work with.

I don't mind too much if her llamaling skills are poor or non-existent - I can usually get something worthwhile from inexperienced llamas. It'll be TF rather than paid though.

Poor or bad styling starts to worry me because my own sense of style isn't great and I need llamas that can bring that to a shoot. I'm tipping towards a no now for any kind of work.

Profile notes often give an insight into a llama's attitude and how easy she might be to work with. Yours indicate a significant mismatch between the ability you profess to have and that evidenced by your images. Your expectations are also far in excess of what I'd be prepared to offer and I suspect most other photographers too. All the irrelevant inclusions in your notes just shout inexperience on your part. Unfortunately you're now off my radar completely.

Jan 11 13 04:43 am Link

Model

HEATHER 19

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Planned trips:: I would like to travel like this at 19 smile

Jan 11 13 07:52 am Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I'm by no means the authority on this but I've been working since I was 14 certain rules apply across all industries.

1. Need an employee and not a model? I'm your girl!
Get rid of everything below that. Photographers aren't looking for employees on model mayhem, they're looking for models. All of what you listed there is 100% irrelevant and honestly off-putting, it's almost like a used car salesman trying to convince you to buy a car. Yes you want to market yourself, but those skills get you nowhere in modeling.

2. Planned trips::-Virginia,Richmond 2014
It's Richmond, Virgina. I'm going all grammar Nazi on your port at the moment. Anytime you put something in print, do a spell and grammar check. I thought perhaps you were in the EU, then noticed you're in California, no excuses for poor mastery of the English language. There's no flow to your formatting and styling.

3. Stats: EE cup? I'm a DD at Victoria's Secret and range between F-GG at bra specialty stores...in other words, you might want to check that. Also if you were 34-34-28 you wouldn't be a size two. By those stats your waist is wider than mine and I'm a size 10. You should fix that.

4. Very experienced, paid assignments only
The images in your portfolio refute what you've got listed. They don't show a model with experience and certainly not one that photographers would pay to shoot with.

5. I don't always go all out with hair and make-up for shoots, but in many of your images you look like you just rolled out of bed.

Now with all that being said...you're slim, you're tall, you seem to have nice bone structure. You have potential, it just needs to be exhibited in your portfolio.

Jan 11 13 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

5.) You seem delusional- You have "Paid Only" marked on your profile, but your portfolio has nothing that would indicate you have any experience as an actual llama.  You also have shoot ideas that *you* want to do listed on your profile.  Nobody is going to pay you to shoot *your* ideas.  Paid shoots= you shoot the photographer's ideas.....because you're being paid to do so.   If you want a photographer to shoot your ideas, you need to trade, or pay the photographer.

this says it.

Jan 11 13 08:39 am Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

This sums it up

You need a lot of work to do to even be considering payment do trade shoots with photographers in your area and practice

Jan 11 13 08:41 am Link

Photographer

TRPn Pics

Silver Springs Shores, Florida, US

No.

First and most importantly as it pertains to your Bio. It is anything but about you modeling, it seems you are looking for a job rather than marketing yourself as a model. Get rid of all of it and keep it simple.

Secondly, the Details side of your Bio. Being 5'8" you have potential. Saying that, you have many genres listed there but seem to not be open to shooting them when you say NO to nudity. Fashion, Editorial, Lingerie, Bodypaint and Glamor sometimes call for nudity. Morals and ethics are fine, we all have them, knowing when to say no is a preferable quality in my opinion as opposed to outright no across the board.

Thirdly, you haven't the quality of work or experience that would make me want to pay you.

just my .02

Jan 11 13 09:55 am Link

Model

Alison Sutter

Sacramento, California, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

My friend has a calvein klein dress in a size 2 and I fit great in it. I am a 34 ÉE but my sister size is 34 DD. Its hard to find EE bras that look good.

I went off topic because id like to network myself for being a nanny and a employee at resturaunts if it does not work out being a model.
Right now as a nanny I'm hardly getting paid anything. Its not easy having kids and then working as a nanny with other kids.

I put my own ideas because I thought maybe people would be inspired by them to do a collab with me so I can have a photographer sell the images.
Photographer still gets paid, I still get paid.
I understand most paid work comes from commercial work so that's something I'm thinking of getting into.

How does hair,make up and clothes need work?
To me clothes are perfectly fine.
In most of my photos I have no make up on at all.

Jan 11 13 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Awesome Headshots

San Ramon, California, US

Most photographers wont hire a model if she doesn't have decent pictures (pro quality) in her port. It does not appear that you have ever shot with a pro. Asking for $ is only going to get you more GWC images. You should try TF's with pro photographers and wardrobe stylists, work with MUA's on applying make-up and bring in a hair stylist while your at it.

Jojo West wrote:
I'm going all grammar Nazi on your port at the moment.

*chimes in*
FYI It's Las Vegas, not Los Vegas hmm

Jan 11 13 10:59 am Link

Photographer

T A X I

West Covina, California, US

If not list reasons why.

Pretty girl with potential but you're not experienced enough.

A) your stats are incorrect-- which shows your lack of experience and misunderstanding of industry basics. You have a (im assuming) 28' waist which means I could NOT get a basic designer to pull anything for you (34, 24, 34)
B) you lack any kind of emotion,  you just stand there like "hey im hot".
C) There isn't a single shot in your portfolio that is "really good" or "amazing". Which makes me  questions your skill level as a "paid model". Most of your shots are mediocre portrait shots at best.
D) I can add more to your portfolio than you can add to mine.
E) I pass up anyone who has "Queen" "Diva" Princess" or any other immature name as their MM name. It means you already think highly of yourself-- its an arrogant message you're sending out.

Jan 11 13 11:05 am Link

Photographer

T A X I

Brandon L Ingram wrote:
Your Twitter name is @nakedxbabe, but you don't shoot nudes...??

wow.

Jan 11 13 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

No. Many reasons

Perhaps from your looks, yes, but I would rarely pay anyone just based on their look.

You portfolio does not show experience nor talent, contrary to what you put on your profile page. I don't want to read anything, I want to see it. The proofs in the images, always.

Nor do you do the genre's I would consider paying for.

Jan 11 13 11:11 am Link

Model

JWest

My friend has a calvein klein dress in a size 2 and I fit great in it. I am a 34 ÉE but my sister size is 34 DD. Its hard to find EE bras that look good.

I went off topic because id like to network myself for being a nanny and a employee at resturaunts if it does not work out being a model.
Right now as a nanny I'm hardly getting paid anything. Its not easy having kids and then working as a nanny with other kids.

I put my own ideas because I thought maybe people would be inspired by them to do a collab with me so I can have a photographer sell the images.
I understand most paid work comes from commercial work so that's something I'm thinking of getting into.

I will go in the same order you commented:

1. The reason why we are saying your stats are wrong is because the numbers don't add up. I used myself as an example because it's actually a good comparison. Your stats show as 34" bust, 34" waist, 28" hips, perhaps you meant 34-28-34?? Look at mine, 36-31-41. Obviously wider hips, but when comparing bodies, it is obvious that your stats particularly WAIST should be much less than mine. Unless you're using mm and not inches, in which case you need to convert it.

2. This is not the place to network yourself as a nanny. You're trying to get paid work as a model. You want to network yourself as a nanny, you can do that elsewhere, MM is not the place for that.

3. There is nothing wrong to having your own ideas, many models, including myself try to shoot themes we come up with. Thinking that your theme is going to make you both money? It's naive and shows inexperience. Also, photographers won't pay you to shoot YOUR ideas, they'll pay you to shoot theirs, if you fit their needs. Paid work can come from many different places, not just commercial, it just doesn't work the way you think it does.

4. I don't understand why you're even asking why your MU, hair and clothes need work? Modeling, wardrobe, make-up, hair all go hand in hand. If they didn't matter then models wouldn't need to worry about it, but we do. You have no make up on in most of your photos...well that's the problem. You need work with good photogs, MUA, HS and wardrobe stylists, get better images in your port and THEN start expecting paid work. No good photographer is going to pay someone based on images that look like they came from someone's FB profile.

Jan 11 13 11:14 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

This

Jan 11 13 11:15 am Link

Photographer

T A X I

MM isnt a place to post a resume for other work. As a media coordination, small business owner and marketing adviser I hire people on a regular basis. If someone linked me to Model Mayhem for their resume I wouldnt hire them based on that. Completely unprofessional. Use MM for modeling nothing else.

Cool. At least you have some direction. But you will NOT get paid work with the portfolio you have, period. If you only want to get paid your best bet if artist nude work. But like someone already mentioned youre going to have a portfolio full of crap-ola. Again showing a misunderstanding of how the photography/modeling industry works.

Yeah, their not.... Which adds to the idea you have no idea what your doing. Please do not take offense, but it seems rather clear you need a wake-up call which is why everyone on MM is being slightly hard on you. You do have potential but you need to educate yourself in many areas. Time to reset your modeling aspirations.

Jan 11 13 11:19 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I would not pay you, nor would I accept an offer if someone wanted to pay ME to model with you.

The incorrect measurements, lack of expressive/posing range, and superfluous info in the profile indicates you are both inexperienced (not a terrible thing) and argumentative about it (a negative quality indeed).

Nothing wrong with being new......there is something wrong with thinking you know better than those who are a lot more experienced/working professionals.

I just get the impression it would be a long, drama filled day.

Jan 11 13 11:24 am Link

Photographer

D S P

Portland, Oregon, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

+1

Jan 11 13 11:27 am Link

Model

JWest

Paige Morgan wrote:
I just get the impression it would be a long, drama filled day.

+1

Jan 11 13 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Dwight Smalls

Jacksonville, Florida, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Would suggest taking the advice you solicited rather than being defensive. Not going to pile on.

Jan 11 13 11:38 am Link

Photographer

16mm

Palmdale, California, US

"Try to list more then 5 reasons" Well i think you got more than 5 from reading this thread, I hope you are a tough kid because you just asked to be mowed down by professionals and they did a fine job.

Wipe that profile, build a new one being honest and not speaking third person. Ask for help in building your port and get your hair worked on. Do a few TFCD shoots and get some better pictures posted.

I would not even contact you or wish to work with you after viewing the current images posted.

Don't give up………

Jan 11 13 11:49 am Link

Photographer

End of the Road Studio

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

No,

1)    You're bio in the third person is of-putting. Speak for yourself.
2)    You list "very experienced", but your portfolio doesn't support that.
3)    You do not have a variety of expressions - very bland.
4)    I primarily shoot nudes.
5)    ?????

Jan 11 13 11:53 am Link

Photographer

my_other_profile

Ankeny, Iowa, US

Nope. 

1. There are models with piles more experience and histories of being good to work with shooting TF.

2. I don't like being told how many reasons to list.

Jan 11 13 12:01 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

I agree with everything posted.
If I agreed to shoot with a photographer, and they showed me your portfolio as it currently stands as a second model for the shoot, I would decline the shoot and judge the photographer as having issues or looking for something shady.

As it is, you're all of the red flags. Incorrect stats, drama filled profile, and tons of ego. You're in California, you can throw a rock and hit amazing talent that's moved there just to "make it", you need to be just a touch more humble to get any opportunities whatsoever.

Reasons:
1) incorrect stats
2) ridiculous third person bio. The format is you talking about you, not someone else talking about you. It screams ego.
3) poor grasp of english
4) "very experienced" when you obviously have zero experience
5) no range of expression with all of this ego about being the shit on a stick, indicates to me that you'll show up and stand there and wait for other people to make anything happen, which is tiring and annoying.

Jan 11 13 12:16 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

I'd rather draw a hobo in the street.

1. attitude
2. crazy travel plans
3. has kid but is read to jet-set
4. can't pose
5. no nudes work lol.
6. has VERY EXPERIENCED ON PROFILE...

Jan 11 13 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Square Jaw Photography

Joshua Tree, California, US

16mm wrote:
"Try to list more then 5 reasons" Well i think you got more than 5 from reading this thread, I hope you are a tough kid because you just asked to be mowed down by professionals and they did a fine job.

Wipe that profile, build a new one being honest and not speaking third person. Ask for help in building your port and get your hair worked on. Do a few TFCD shoots and get some better pictures posted.

I would not even contact you or wish to work with you after viewing the current images posted.

Don't give up………

1. All these photographers, llamas, etc, that have been putting you on blast are 100% correct, but at the same time, props for asking advice from these industry pros. Don't feel beaten up. Chock it up to expirience.

Get with a good photographer, shoot some TF shoots, build a solid port, then ask for compensation when you are solid in your llamaing profession. The biggest problem with our generation (Y Generation) is the belief we deserve to start at the top of where others have earned. Start at the bottom and climb.

Jan 11 13 12:22 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

Jan 11 13 12:24 pm Link

Model

JWest

sdgillis wrote:

1. attitude
2. crazy travel plans
4. can't pose
5. no nudes work lol.

Ok I have to admit...I almost spat coffee all over my PC with your hobo comment.

Jan 11 13 12:35 pm Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

sdgillis wrote:

1. attitude
2. crazy travel plans
4. can't pose
5. no nudes work lol.

LMAO! This really made me laugh

Jan 11 13 12:41 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

First figure out how to get more than two people to use your image in their portfolio before looking for money.

Also, why isn't this in your portfolio?
It's better than all the out-of-focus images you just uploaded.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121220/19/50d3d8f6b7f01_m.jpg

And credit your photographers completely, with their MM number in the credit box, so people can just click through rather than having to run off and search. It's just good manners and yet another point that people WILL notice as rude and egocentric.

Jan 11 13 12:46 pm Link

Model

JWest

If not list reasons why.

You're very young and need to realize that this industry is tough. When you request input on a forum you should take it for what it is...advice. Sometimes it may seem harsh, because it can be, but for the most part all the input provided has been helpful and constructively provided. Replying in an argumentative manner only makes you look bad, especially since you requested the input to begin with. It's about putting your best foot forward and you're not doing that at the moment.

Take a look at the profiles at the models that have replied to your forum post, and use them as examples. There are ways to get your point across in a professional manner without coming off as a diva, inexperienced, or with a sense of entitlement. The more open you are to suggestions the easier it will be for you to succeed. Not just in the modeling industry but in life in general.

Also, you should invest some time in working on your website. All of the images on your landing page slideshow are blurry and too large. You can barely see the menu options and it's difficult to navigate. Again this is all just advice to help you get ahead.

Jan 11 13 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

No and the reasons have all been covered.

A portfolio needs a great head shot, well at least a good one and a great body shot. Yours has neither.

Need to work on more than one expression. Try to book a shoot where you are really having fun, like at the beach or doing something you really enjoy.

You need more time in front of the camera and some time with good hair and makeup people.

Jan 11 13 01:03 pm Link