Forums > General Industry > Kilts? Photographers who wear them?

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Why does the word "TRIPOD" come into mind ?????

Jan 26 13 03:54 pm Link

Model

Fine Wine

Orange, California, US

This reminds me of a joke.  How can you tell a Scottish mans last name?  Lift up his kilt and if it's a quarter pounder then he's a McDonald. wink

I didn't say it was a good joke...the kilt just reminded me of it.

Jan 26 13 05:21 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Why does the word "TRIPOD" come into mind ?????

ROFLMAO! lol

Jan 26 13 06:45 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Big Sky Photography wrote:
I've occasionally worn my kilt to shoots.  Here's a self portrait.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8334/8130987899_63053830cf.jpg

Excelent choice in Top for that kilt! I love it! Great shot!

Jan 26 13 06:46 pm Link

Model

MacFish

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Art Nudes wrote:
An, "English," kilt?? That's a new one on me. Irish yes, Scots for definite, but English? A word of warning, don't go mistaking a Scotsman for English - that's a good way to get yourself,"kilt" in Scotland. wink

This times a million.

When I lived in America I was called English constantly.

Being Scottish I can't say I've ever shot with anyone wearing a kilt. The only people I know who own one are American, including my husband. He is a photographer, he did wear one to our wedding in Utah and sold it recently. Everyone here just rents them.

Jan 27 13 01:49 am Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Rist Photography wrote:
I own an English-style kilt with an Irish tartan. I love it, but I have never worn it to a shoot.

WTF is an "English" style kilt ?

Am I the only Scotsman here laughing his ass off? Hahaha

Kilts were NOT an English article of clothing... I guess you haven't seen braveheart... Lol

I keep my kilt purely for weddings ... Utility kilts are something I've never seen any self respecting Scotsman ever wear! RFLMAO

Jan 27 13 01:57 am Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

MacFish wrote:

This times a million.

When I lived in America I was called English constantly.

Being Scottish I can't say I've ever shot with anyone wearing a kilt. The only people I know who own one are American, including my husband. He is a photographer, he did wear one to our wedding in Utah and sold it recently. Everyone here just rents them.

I'd never shoot in Kilt ... I wonder if the foreigners that wear kilts understand that they're supposed to be worn "commando" ? Lol

Jan 27 13 01:59 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

George Ruge wrote:
I won't wear mine, it's the most gawdawfull orange!!!

An Irish one?

Jan 27 13 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Wideviews

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom

Yes, I've got a kilt- but then I am a Scot- living in Scotland.  Mostly worn as formal dress, but I have worn one when walking and taking photographs in the mountains.

Jan 27 13 02:23 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

In Scotland where kilts are now, in quite a recent custom,  normally worn for weddings, occasionally the photographer is seen wearing one too. But only at weddings. There always used to be the occasional wedding where the groom wore a kilt, but now it has become the normal, and kilt hire has become a big business, with every town having kilt hire shops.

Jan 27 13 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

My crew bottom right photo....http://www.utilikilts.com/press-articles/usnews.pdf

Jan 27 13 07:08 am Link

Model

MJ Chard

Salem, Massachusetts, US

Enjoy the kilt pictures on my profile!

Jan 27 13 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

H3D PHOTOGRAPHER wrote:
I'd never shoot in Kilt ... I wonder if the foreigners that wear kilts understand that they're supposed to be worn "commando" ? Lol

I do.  That, along with the cost of dry cleaning it after I lay on the floor / ground to get shots are among the practical reasons I don't wear it to shoot.  Not to mention that it's just not happening.

Jan 27 13 08:08 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

MJ Chard wrote:
Enjoy the kilt pictures on my profile!

I DID!!! smilewink

Jan 27 13 08:13 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Art of the nude wrote:

I do.  That, along with the cost of dry cleaning it after I lay on the floor / ground to get shots are among the practical reasons I don't wear it to shoot.  Not to mention that it's just not happening.

Most of the clothes I wear for my shoots are dry clean only. Just another expense.

Jan 27 13 08:15 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Rick Edwards wrote:
My crew bottom right photo....http://www.utilikilts.com/press-articles/usnews.pdf

That is awesome!

Jan 27 13 08:17 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

WMcK wrote:
In Scotland where kilts are now, in quite a recent custom,  normally worn for weddings, occasionally the photographer is seen wearing one too. But only at weddings. There always used to be the occasional wedding where the groom wore a kilt, but now it has become the normal, and kilt hire has become a big business, with every town having kilt hire shops.

It should be a very normal daily wear.
Ok I think the traditional formal kilt should be for special occasions like your Sunday bests or uniform representing the tradition. Then there should be a daily wear. Maybe like a khaki kilt.

Jan 27 13 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Shoot It

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I don't have any personal pics to post at the moment, but so long as you colour coordinate, it can be pretty casual. I usually wear it something like this:

https://www.kiltrentalusa.com/images/sean/header-casual-kilt-rentals.jpg

https://c808077.r77.cf2.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/k/i/kilt-half-package-casual_1.jpg

Jan 27 13 11:00 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

I am not Scottish so I don't wear a kilt, but I don't wear underwear either. At my age with my old man balls they would be dangling below the skirt anyway and that might be a little scary

smile

Jan 27 13 11:07 am Link

Model

Stray Kat

Morris, Illinois, US

Shoot It wrote:
I don't have any personal pics to post at the moment, but so long as you colour coordinate, it can be pretty casual. I usually wear it something like this:

https://www.kiltrentalusa.com/images/sean/header-casual-kilt-rentals.jpg

https://c808077.r77.cf2.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/k/i/kilt-half-package-casual_1.jpg

Very Cool!

Jan 27 13 11:43 am Link

Model

Jen Somerfield

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Finding some of these clueless North American replies hilarious!

I used to wear a kilt every Sunday til I started refusing at age 10.

There is no "English kilt" though, that's just funny.

Jan 29 13 11:02 am Link

Model

Kasumi_Noir

Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom

H3D PHOTOGRAPHER wrote:

Am I the only Scotsman here laughing his ass off? Hahaha

Kilts were NOT an English article of clothing... I guess you haven't seen braveheart... Lol

I keep my kilt purely for weddings ... Utility kilts are something I've never seen any self respecting Scotsman ever wear! RFLMAO

English Kilt? -_-  Oh dear oh dear....
(Scotland isn't in England by the by, it's a seperate country within the UK. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been asked by US citizins if I'm English or "I love Scotland! That's in England, right?" )

+1 We don't wear utilikilts. Unless you're styled 'alternatively' - even then it'd only be once in a blue moon for clubbing.  Our men much prefer trousers!

If memory serves me right, they were created in America. (Google says Seattle, I checked) Aimed more so at Americans who like to show off their heritage.  ^_^

For us here in Haggisland, it is indeed only formal attire - usually weddings, big football matches, stag nights, or when the guys go off abroad of lads' holidays - they then like to show their Scottish pride! tongue

A wedding photographer may have to wear one if requested. On normal shoots however - hell no. It's not professional behaviour to walk about our normal high winds or climb on ladders/stools etc if your wang is going to be on show!
Another point: Scotland is cold & wet - Imagine the amount of camera shake from hairy knees knocking together in our weather! XD

Kasumi x

Jan 29 13 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

E O

Aaronsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Did a couple of stints acting in "Brigadoon" (community theater) and did cast photos as well as live action photos when presence was not required on stage.  Kilts were the standard costume for all men with the exception of the two "American" leads.  They lasted forever since they were worn only one day every hundred years ;-)

Jan 29 13 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

Kilts are funny...!  :-)

Jan 31 13 03:50 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

EdwardKristopher wrote:
Kilts are funny...!  :-)

And very nice! I am looking forward to having some shoots with photographers in them!

Jan 31 13 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mishka Studio

Orange, California, US

Caitin wrote:
(a) Is there any photographers who wear Kilts?
(b) Is there any Photographers that have done a photo shoot with a model in one?
(c) Kilts are Hot.
(d) Show me your Kilt Photo's

(A) Yes. I wear a Kilt...a Utilikilt almost identical to the one shown in the 9th post to your question (black one)...and one other Utilikilt.  [ Note: But not a belt like that one! tongue ]
(B) Yes.
(C) Yes, they definitely can be.

Feb 03 13 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mishka Studio

Orange, California, US

Caitin   wrote:
...I am looking forward to having some shoots with photographers in them!

Oh...but I wouldn't wear my kilt DURING a shoot. There's only one right way to wear a kilt, IMO, and with all the moving about getting the right camera angles, or other parts of the process (climbing ladders, on the ground looking up, etc.) I'd be showing the model a lot! And when I say I do nude shoots, I'm generally talking about the model being nude! So I hold off on the kilt until other times (like outside during a warm day...or going out to a club, which is a good time for a kilt, at least a nice crisp black one like mine.)

Feb 03 13 10:44 pm Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Shon D.- Homme wrote:
Does it have to be an official kilt or can it be just a skirt of any kind?

To be fair, kilts aren't skirts. They're built in a very specific way, for the male body in particular. Women weren't allowed to wear kilts, traditionally speaking, until very recently.

Feb 04 13 02:56 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Kasumi_Noir wrote:

For us here in Haggisland, it is indeed only formal attire - usually weddings, big football matches...

tongue That and that. LOLLL at the "football matches" example!

Feb 04 13 02:58 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Rachel-Elise  wrote:

tongue That and that. LOLLL at the "football matches" example!

I am imagining this now! A entire field of kilts! smile

Feb 04 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Asa Gilmore

Reno, Nevada, US

I'm Irish and Scottish (among other things), and do own a kilt...but have not worn it in business/photo situations. I think it's safe to say that most models and commercial clients would not share Caitin's enthusiasm for my attire. But I do enjoy wearing it on occasion. In fact, after reading this thread I might have to use it this weekend...

Feb 06 13 09:11 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Asa Gilmore wrote:
I'm Irish and Scottish (among other things), and do own a kilt...but have not worn it in business/photo situations. I think it's safe to say that most models and commercial clients would not share Caitin's enthusiasm for my attire. But I do enjoy wearing it on occasion. In fact, after reading this thread I might have to use it this weekend...

You GO!
BTW I love Reno! I love staying at the Peppermill.
I like to go to Grand Sierra for the mechanical Bull and country line dancing. And I like going to Brew Brothers in the Eldorado. I love there Halloween party where you can wear just paint!

Feb 06 13 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Funny to see tourists come all the way to England to buy something Scottish, that is actually made in Pakistan.

I've never worn my kilt to work.

Feb 08 13 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

OneWithTheCamera

Sparta, Michigan, US

Interesting thread since I am in the musical Brigadoon this winter and just got a kilt for the musical. First time wearing it, and I will say I find it very comfortable. Never thought of wearing it for a photo shoot. But I am thinking for a really creative artistic shoot it would make for inspiration.

Feb 10 13 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Rollo David Snook wrote:
Funny to see tourists come all the way to England to buy something Scottish, that is actually made in Pakistan.

I've never worn my kilt to work.

Now that is funny!  In fact, it's F**'n hilarious!  That reminds me of Robin Williams explaining how the Scottish invented the sport of golf.  Be careful watching this ... you might hurt yourself laughing too hard like I did.  Another warning; He uses obscene language alot!  lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi6fPwWuO9I

Feb 11 13 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Caitin   wrote:
Most of the clothes I wear for my shoots are dry clean only. Just another expense.

Huh? You wear clothes for shoots?  Funny, but I didn't see any clothes in your portfolio.  wink

Didn't mean to take this off topic, I just couldn't resist posting the Robin Williams video.  Sorry that I can provide no other interesting pictures or knowledge regarding photographers who wear kilts.  I'm not Scottish, and I don't wear kilts.

Feb 11 13 02:07 am Link

Model

Angel ONeill

Venice, Veneto, Italy

Im Scottish! I love a man in a kilt especially if he has the legs to carry it off (big beefy rugby player legs) My boyfriend wore one to my sisters wedding and he was getting man handled all night by the blue rinse brigade ; - )

Feb 11 13 06:11 am Link

Model

James Maker Of Things

H3D PHOTOGRAPHER wrote:

I'm guessing he's talking about a modern kilt as opposed to a great kilt or small kilt. Which pretty much is an English invention, from back when they were replacing all of the existing culture with stuff to sell to the tourists.

Bang on what someone else said about wedding photographers up here though. About 50/50 kilts vs suits, depending on dress code and whether the he owns one.

There is in fact a national debate been bubbling for the last few years about wearing them "traditionally"; basically if it's your own kilt you can do whatever you want - but you shouldn't go commando in rented fatigues!

Feb 11 13 07:39 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Angel ONeill wrote:
Im Scottish! I love a man in a kilt especially if he has the legs to carry it off (big beefy rugby player legs) My boyfriend wore one to my sisters wedding and he was getting man handled all night by the blue rinse brigade ; - )

smile

Feb 11 13 09:15 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

OneWithTheCamera wrote:
Interesting thread since I am in the musical Brigadoon this winter and just got a kilt for the musical. First time wearing it, and I will say I find it very comfortable. Never thought of wearing it for a photo shoot. But I am thinking for a really creative artistic shoot it would make for inspiration.

Two thumbs up!

Feb 11 13 09:16 am Link