Forums > Photography Talk > A Marketing Idea

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I have heard  of a few weddings here, done by other photographers, where the client wanted 35mm negatives on top of the digital images and willing to pay a premium for the extra service.

The clients, of course, have their own personal reasons in asking for it.

Nice idea to be offering a service, that others might not have the capability yet...

It's quite reassuring to have a Canon EOS 1V and EOS 3 these days...

I also have a Nikon F801 and F80, but prefer EOS.

https://cimg.163.com/dp/051122/yy/EOS3.jpg
EOS 3

Jan 17 13 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

And they can't make prints from digital files? I must be missing something about why they want 35 mm negs.

Jan 17 13 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Dragos Codita

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

On some countries they do not offer digital negatives as results, only jpegs. Look at Jerry Ghionis in Australia, he's doing that.

Jan 17 13 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Dragos Codita wrote:
On some countries they do not offer digital negatives as results, only jpegs. Look at Jerry Ghionis in Australia, he's doing that.

I dont know anyone offering digital negatives ie raw files?

Jan 18 13 12:24 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

How much of a premium are they willing to pay?

I don't shoot weddings, but I would think they would have to want to pay a very large premium for this sort of service.

Are you talking about shooting everything with both digital and film?  Twice the number of shooters, twice the equipment (bodies, cameras, lenses, flashes) etc. ?

Then there is the hassle of different films (colour, black and white, colour temp, ISO).  I believe many wedding shooters from the film days had multiple film bodies loaded with different film so they could quickly grab photos in both black and white and colour and then quickly react to changing shooting conditions (couple leaving the church, but inside, couple leaving the church now outside) without having to change films.

I remember the photographer at my sister's wedding having many (four?) film bodies and an assistant who was handing her whichever one she asked for and being responsible for swapping lenses, flashes etc. from one body to the next whenever necessary.

Maybe I am out to lunch here because I don't shoot weddings, but it seems this would not be an easy service to offer and there would need to be very large premium paid by the couple to make it worth it.  Not sure how many couples would be willing to pay enough of a premium to make it work.

Jan 18 13 06:34 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

David Kirk wrote:
How much of a premium are they willing to pay?

I don't shoot weddings, but I would think they would have to want to pay a very large premium for this sort of service.

Are you talking about shooting everything with both digital and film?  Twice the number of shooters, twice the equipment (bodies, cameras, lenses, flashes) etc. ?

Then there is the hassle of different films (colour, black and white, colour temp, ISO).  I believe many wedding shooters from the film days had multiple film bodies loaded with different film so they could quickly grab photos in both black and white and colour and then quickly react to changing shooting conditions (couple leaving the church, but inside, couple leaving the church now outside) without having to change films.

I remember the photographer at my sister's wedding having many (four?) film bodies and an assistant who was handing her whichever one she asked for and being responsible for swapping lenses, flashes etc. from one body to the next whenever necessary.

Maybe I am out to lunch here because I don't shoot weddings, but it seems this would not be an easy service to offer and there would need to be very large premium paid by the couple to make it worth it.  Not sure how many couples would be willing to pay enough of a premium to make it work.

I think most wedding shooters, shot color neg and made B&W prints from the color negs...which is possible. 

But I too, have NO idea why someone would want film/negs and digital photos. Unless they think that the negs will last longer. That is pretty much true only if they are stored under very strict conditions and more so..if they are B&W negs... 

I find people make odd decisions based a LOT on being misinformed or misunderstanding the facts..

Jan 18 13 06:50 am Link