Forums > General Industry > Tattoos....yay or nay?

Model

Rochelle Remy

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Opinions please smile

Jan 22 13 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Suyama

Seattle, Washington, US

My opinion is that it can pigeon hole you into a certain genre or niche if overdone.

As well, if you get a tattoo that is hard to hide you can lose work. If you were going for being an Agency model, I'd say no, no, no unless it were small and in a place that is easy to shop or out of view. But maybe that's never your intention.

I like tattoos for some of my stuff and some require a clean canvas.

Jan 22 13 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Rochelle Remy wrote:
Opinions please smile

Most definitely a nay!

...with me.

Jan 22 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Light Wave Photos

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I think a tattoo gets in the way of the shot. It dominates the eye, when I think the model should the center of attention.

Jan 22 13 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sharon Crisman

Woonsocket, Rhode Island, US

Absolutely not. I feel that I am the creative person. I do not want what is in many cases other peoples inferior art interfering with my vision. I can always add tats if I want to. I have turned away more really lovely models because they detract from what I am trying to say. Also-  think of yourself with the wrinkled skin of an 80 year old- with ugly droopy tats! Ear plugs are a REAL turn off too. You limit yourself.

If I want a tattoo, I'll paint my own on.

Jan 22 13 04:02 pm Link

Model

Rochelle Remy

All realy good points of view,thank you.
I believe everyones skin is going to look less than perfect when they're 80 so art work or no,the skin isn't going to look good.
However I totaly agree regards to ear plugs..stretchers are hideous IMO.
Thanks guys.
Rochelle

Jan 22 13 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Pantaleoni Photographer

San Diego, California, US

(How many?)     (Where?)     (Is/Are What?)     (How big?)

As a photographer, I PREFER - not.  That said, I'd love to shoot a person getting a tat.  I've shot models with tattoos.

Jan 22 13 04:19 pm Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

....sigh....who cares...

I mean seriously, why does it matter what a bunch of randoms on the internet say? either do it, or don't. You are the one that has to live with it.

Jan 22 13 04:22 pm Link

Model

Rochelle Remy

Frances I have many already and am having another on Thursday.
I'm not looking for approval I am asking for opinions.I would like to know what the general feeling is and why one thinks that etc.
However thank you for your input also.

Rochelle

Jan 22 13 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Frances Jewel wrote:
....sigh....who cares...

I mean seriously, why does it matter what a bunch of randoms on the internet say? either do it, or don't. You are the one that has to live with it.

Randoms or not, she asked, she's getting the answer!

Jan 22 13 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

LittleWhiteRabbit Photo

Columbus, Ohio, US

Something smaller in an inconspicuous place can be easily removed in Photoshop.  But a sleeve or large tattoo that covers the chest, neck, legs, etc. would be almost impossible to remove so unless the photographer liked how the tattoo worked w/the image it could be very limiting...

Jan 22 13 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Chasing Shadows wrote:
I think a tattoo gets in the way of the shot. It dominates the eye, when I think the llama should the center of attention.

1  -  Most photographers want the llama to be the center of attention.  If a llama has a lot of ink the ink is usually what the viewer looks at instead of the llama.  I just did a shoot with a llama with a lot of ink.  She was an exception as she is extremely attractive and I think she still commands the attention of the viewer.  In addition, her tattoos were extremely well done, among the best I have ever seen.

Jan 22 13 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Troy Alton Photography

Ringgold, Georgia, US

There are plenty of amazing models without tats, go with them.

Jan 22 13 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Fresh Faces Photography

Santa Rosa, California, US

It's not a question of whether tats are beautiful or not, it's whether it makes sense for models to have them.

IMHO, no!  I see them as a desecration of a beautiful canvas. And, if you expect to make any money from modelling, you've just turned off at least half your sources of income.

Jan 22 13 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rochelle Remy wrote:
Opinions please smile

Opinions...on what?

If a model gets them, they will close some doors for her, and open others.

Is that what you were looking for?

Jan 22 13 09:33 pm Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Sacramento, California, US

Sigh...

You will find most people who are vocal here on the forums will say no.

But in all honesty, it depends on what type of modeling you do.

You are 5'6" and don't shoot nudes so chances are those things will restrict you from getting work before a tattoo will.

I've never had a problem finding people to work with, but I know what genres I am limited to and I work with that.

Jan 22 13 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rochelle Remy wrote:
Frances I have many already and am having another on Thursday.
I'm not looking for approval I am asking for opinions.I would like to know what the general feeling is and why one thinks that etc.
However thank you for your input also.

Rochelle

Again..."general feeling" on...what?

Are they attractive? Should models get them? etc.

Can you be more specific?

Jan 22 13 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

For glamour photography... NO.  Here's how I, and most clients, look at it.  Tattoos represent your artwork, something to adorn your body that you like.  That's fine.  But don't make me, or the client, look at your artwork.  Not my thing.  So in general Tats will relegate you to alternative modeling, not mainstream, cause people don't want to be forced to look at your art.  For glamour I need a female who becomes my artwork, and is not dominated by her artwork.

Jan 22 13 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mischa Marie wrote:
Sigh...

You will find most people who are vocal here on the forums will say no.

You will find just as many that are vocal in support of them, in my forum experience.

Jan 22 13 09:36 pm Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Sacramento, California, US

Image K wrote:

You will find just as many that are vocal in support of them, in my forum experience.

Cool story.

Jan 22 13 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Buy a tshirt with a hello kitty on the front of it.

NEVER EVER take that tshirt off for the rest of your life.
That's what a tattoo is like.

I say nay.

Jan 22 13 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Moderator Warning!

Frances Jewel wrote:
....sigh....who cares...

She cares.  Please respond to the question at hand or not at all.

Jan 22 13 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

NAY

Jan 22 13 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

Depends on the look the photographer is going for. Like anything else, sometimes it's a perfect fit and other times it's not. On a personal level I love tattoo's! But I've turned girls down because of them.

Jan 22 13 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Troy Alton Photography

Ringgold, Georgia, US

Another thing to consider. Models, how many times have you had a session with a photog that did amazing work, but your shoot with them somehow didnt produce any photos you like?

What if the same thing happened with a tatoo? A great tatoo artest didnt give you what you were hoping for.......oops    its perm

I like tats and my wife and I have discussed it, but we have seen many tatoos that were just plain awful.

Jan 22 13 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

Look at it this way: the chances of you getting a job Because you have  a tattoo are extremely small.  The chances of you Not getting a job because the photog doesn't want to spend the time photo shopping your tatts... HUGE.

Jan 22 13 10:45 pm Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

Los Angeles, California, US

No

Jan 22 13 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

One of the most beautiful assets of a llama is her skin.

https://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/7/2c69cd8ec6210193a2c1543ef837ffa7/l.jpg
Graffiti On The Opera House

Jan 22 13 11:06 pm Link

Model

NadiaBali

Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia

Sexy girl + Tats = Hawt!!

The tattoo has to be nice and organic looking imho, not mentioning skillfully put.

For sure you will lose certain types of work if you have tats, so if you model for money only, I'd think twice. I'm super happy with mine. I've had only compliments on them and the photographers I've worked with seemed to be happy with how the pics turned out, as was I.

Jan 22 13 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Foto Priganica

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

You are nice, curvy pin-up style model and to short for agency standard so you can't really aim for those kind of jobs. I am the one that loves to work with inked people and I would use them most of the time unless the client specifically asks me not to (and in many cases ink can be covered).... but that's just me and the Alt-urban culture and clients niche I'm working for ... good luck with your modelling career

Jan 22 13 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Bravo Magic Images

Temple City, California, US

It's your body Yay it or Nay it your the one wearing the ink.

Jan 22 13 11:14 pm Link

Model

Rochelle Remy

Thank you to the people who wer sensible and polite with answers I appreciate it.
By oppinions I meant on a personal and professional level from models and photogrphers.
I model myself purely as a hobby,I get to keep some nice pictures. big_smile
I am thinking of modelling my art work by modelling semi nude/imposed.
I just don't know how photogs feel about tattoos or how much this hinders a model.

Jan 23 13 04:19 am Link

Model

Amelia Vane

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

Personally, I like tattoos, although I don't have any. But I agree with some of you that the tattoo can be really distracting, despite whether it's done well or not. I think it's really about the size and placement of the tat. Look at Masuimi Max or Sabina Kelley. Sometimes whole limbs are covered, but there is almost a uniformity to it that it adds interest to the model, and doesn't seem distracting.

I think the only thing that doesn't work out in a model's favor is when they have sparse tats that are too large to cover up or there are many that seem to have no visual connection to each other. I guess what I'm trying to say is 1 medium size tat doesn't look good, a tiny tat in an inconspicuous area is fine, and a large or several tats in an area with purpose look good.

Jan 23 13 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Jennifer Jurca

Portland, Oregon, US

In my personal world I LOVE LOVE LOVE tattoos! I think they are fun and sexy and you can express yourself permanently on your body which is awesome. That being said, I prefer to work with a model who has NO tattoos at all which is honestly the best.... you are a blank canvas.

Jan 23 13 09:19 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

do what you want with your body. but don't whine about it later if you can't get gigs because of the choices you've made. but you may also get gigs because of the choices you've made. you make your choices and live with the consequences (good or bad).

when i'm shooting a nude model i prefer one without (or with small ones). but the reality is most models i shoot (and even customers) have them. i've seen some amazing artwork but i feel like i'm shooting for the tattoo guy or a tattoo magazine -- plus i'm probably violating someone's copyright.

Jan 23 13 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Whenever possible, I avoid models with tattoos on body parts that I want to photograph:

...  They are always distracting.  Always.
...  Photographing a tattoo is copying someone else's art.
...  It is tiring to see the same tattoo on a model over & over.
...  Covering/removing a tattoo means extra work & expense.

I am fortunate that I live in an area where I can find plenty of models that are more suitable to me than heavily inked models.

But it's your body -- do what you will.  I have to admit that there is a lot about tattoos that I don't understand, like...
...  Why does someone who changes their clothes & hair & style constantly choose
     to put a semi-permanent mark on their skin?
...  Why do so many people place tattoos on parts of their body where they can't see
     or enjoy them?

Jan 23 13 09:36 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't want to spend the time to draw them.  I feel like it is copying someone else's art work.  I would turn down a paying client if the job included recreating their body art.  I can tolerate them to a point in photography.  Large tats just make the job harder because they influence the composition of the piece.  With tattoos I am not only making sure I am not cutting off fingers and toes; arms at the elbows; legs at the knees; I am also making sure the (skull/angle wings/fire hydrant) is in or out.

I will hire a model with tattoos (really like working with Arielita) but will pass on models where the body art overwhelms the body, and really prefer not having to deal with tattoos at all.

Jan 23 13 09:39 am Link

Model

Leone P

Batley, England, United Kingdom

I love my tattoos! As somebody has mentioned, a hot girl with good quality tattoos is suuuper hot! Take Arabella Drummond. Whheewwww that girl is stunning.
I met her recently and had to pick my jaw up from the floor. Her tattoos make her beauty all the more unique and different from your usual glamour look.

I don't have a problem with my tattoos and have alot of photographers asking to work with me because of my tattoos and hair colour etc. My tattoos came before my llamaling.

Jan 23 13 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

And isn't this a duplicate thread?

Tattooed models, Yay or Nay!

Jan 23 13 09:42 am Link

Model

Rochelle Remy

Well I am sorry,I was not aware of the other thread.forgive me.

Jan 23 13 12:10 pm Link