Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How to get noticed by magazines?

Wardrobe Stylist

Style By Geraldine

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Hello everyone, just to give you a little background. I've been assisting another stylist for a couple of years now, only recently am I coming out on my own. Just wondering how do I go round getting noticed/hired by magazines besides obviously emailing the editors with my portfolio or waiting for a vacancy to open up. Your insights would be most helpful! Thanks!

Jan 24 13 10:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

You don't get booked by the magazines. You get booked by the photographer and the photographer gets booked by the magazines.

Jan 25 13 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Style By Geraldine wrote:
Hello everyone, just to give you a little background. I've been assisting another stylist for a couple of years now, only recently am I coming out on my own. Just wondering how do I go round getting noticed/hired by magazines besides obviously emailing the editors with my portfolio or waiting for a vacancy to open up. Your insights would be most helpful! Thanks!

Build a commercially viable diverse book (most likely you will have to invest a few thousand dollars to models, make-up and hair and photographers for this)

Use the book to build a set of contacts with photographers. Offer to style their agency test shoots for free in exchange for photos. DO NOT DO THIS before building your book. Hopefully you will now gain a larger body of work and build contacts with commercial photographers.

Until you've done this you won't get magazine work. Magazine work happens if either the art director or the photographer hire you. Usually this happens because they have either seen your work in a magazine (editors) or worked with you on tests and like you (photographers)

Jan 25 13 03:58 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Studio FDC

New York, New York, US

We're doing an editorial video shoot early tomorrow morning & looking for a hairstylist, so if you're interested, check out the bulletin here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/mystuff/bul … tin/222385

Jan 26 13 10:41 am Link